Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

Hi, here a video of my Javelin Addon, showing off mainly its targetting system. You cannot lockon with this right now, its still using the arma locking system. My locking system will be added later.

Unfortunately i cannot remember any YouTube passwords of my accounts at youtube, so no streamed video yet... only downloadlink

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=487060

( *.wmv at about 18MB! )

I tried to make it look like its using the javelin targetting system though... sometimes i was fast enough to fire the weapon sometimes it shows nolock but still...

its about 75% done on side of scripts, i will add locking system and missile guidance later on as well do some polishing...

Now if that doesn't look exactly like my concept suggestion for ACE-Mod...

http://www.acemod.net/forums/project.php?issueid=937

Awesome! I hope you implement cool-down phase of ~30 seocnds before the missle can lock-on to anything or before you can even use the FLIR at the CLU....

It makes a very distinctive sound when system is cooling down... there is one HQ Vid at youtube where you can capture it i very good quality in full length ~30 seconds.

Also, will you be able to lock-on to everything?

Man i always wanted a multipurpose launcher that could get rid of both pesky choppers and aircraft when im on the ground and m1 or t72 tanks pistols.gif

Well, exactly that my friends. It will not only have the seeker cooldown of approx 10sec, 30sec overall seekertime, after this the BCU is spent and you have to replace it or dispose of the missile (LTA) altogether.

Also the CLU NV cooldown and battery times. You will be able to use the CLU apart from the missile and such. All including the corresponding models (thinking out the logic handling this, is a brainteaser itself).

I made new models, fixing some errors (no BCU visible on Launcher Tube in LOD0 for example) and adding CLU variants, and various carry proxy and proper magazines/magazinehandling.

All physical controls on the CLU will be represented. I use the humble often disregarded numpad for control with sholes keyeventhandler, everything can be done easily with two hands. Brightness and Contrast controls in WFOV and NFOV become the GATE controls in SEEK FOV, just like in the RL CLU.

Theres also a IR system included, which wasnt shown in the video. Its a bit different than others before. Most importantly it will do its job without timeskip, because its silly when you target something at noon and you can hear the nightanimals roaming around next to you...

The zoom levels need to be adjusted, their are in their debug config.

Its intended that all interface indicators do their "job" ie. model the correct behaviour of the RL system.

Lock on works fine on almost everything even rocks and trees, except the ground. Just tweaking necessary.

Also on flying Aircrafts but in the video they where too fast for me to lock on.

The sounds will be the mentioned "polishing", luckily i have many javelin videos, some will be raped of their sounds. Some sounds will have to be recreated, no problem.

And after that Javelin and my other Addon is all finished. I will maybe do the the Mod.1 (or was it Mod.0??), which is the newer (more digital) CLU Variant. There was even a proposed Bradley carring this Javelin Variant as replacement for their TOW. Was it the M2A6 (Warhammer Bradley).

I will do another video as soon as the missile lock system is ready and then i will show some bunkerbusters action wink_o.gif ...

I can just say, AWESOME.....

If you want to read, this was my concept suggestion for Javelin assembling, but you just said you will make it similar. tounge2.gif

http://www.acemod.net/forums/project.php?issueid=928

Thank you, that is another major weapon-flaw of Arma fixed then.... and maybe Arma2, since well who knows if we will have a better missle system in A2 anyway tounge2.gif .

Hey thanks. You where already quite close with your description, good understanding of CLU operation...

Its built according to the US Army Javelin Training Manual FMsomething wink_o.gif and various Army and Discovery/BBC Documentaries.

You will have to use it like the real thing, except maybe some minute details like the proper placement of the LTA and CLU on the ground when connecting a round and you dont have to watch for dirt getting into/onto the sensors. But the actual operation for preparation-lock-launch phases will be according to those sources.

In AA the javelin was the same like the standard ArmA one, just the cursors where different and animated (*blink*blink*somesounds* and gamers are happy, well we are a different crowd, aint we?... ) NO  pistols.gif ARCADE!

Maybe i will do another version, without the need for CLUbatteries BCUs and exact times. Just a bit easier ... maybe

But before that there will be MP testing and a Intro/Training Mission to be done as well as a, albeit short, written Manual.

My Locking system could also be used to recreate the optical Maverick Missile Lockonsystem or any other, where some gates need to be adjusted round smth...

Perfectly!!

I hope you will allow this to be integrated into ACE-Mod (if the Devs will want to implement it - it sounded like though)

If you need testing, PM me....  tounge2.gif  wink_o.gif

Im so amazed by this, that i uploaded it to Youtube for Streaming... i hope you don't mind smile_o.gif

Link:

Got his idea to make some missions after I saw the Film Blood Diamond but I couldnt find any african soldiers. So I started to make some african soldiers myself.

I made them a while ago but skipped work for continuing on my CZM mod. After talking to a friend I decided to continue on them beside my work for the Philippine Opfor as he missed some good African units.

AfricanRes1.jpg

AfricanRes2.jpg

Thought the eastside also needed a regular african army.

AfricanEast1.jpg

AfricanEast2.jpg

@ PhilippRauch

Looking great!

You could disable it and make it laser lock only.

By script you create a laser target for the given moment the

targeting was correct.

Only downside is you could target other laser targets.

Looks great itim_tuko, would you please consider releasing your African troops as a standalone pack?

Perfect for so many maps at the moment! notworthy.gif

Cheers

Stew

Looks great itim_tuko, would you please consider releasing your African troops as a standalone pack?

Perfect for so many maps at the moment!  notworthy.gif

Cheers

Stew

Dont worry, I will release them as stand alone.

Very nice Nephilim, do you indent to release for ArmA1 or 2?

Hi, i hope that your amazing and über pimp AK-74M's be ready at

least for the ArmA2, Nephilim, seems that we gonna need 'em...

good job on that VSS, it looks very well done. Let's C ya

Nice job nephilim, how'd you go about doing those welds, sculpting program?

The welds look like mesh, or really good displacement map.

I'm also intrested in the hatching on this thing, how was this done.

I know a fairly simple method of making them in modo, but these things are really hipoly :O. Is this mesh or did you make a displacement map?

I am in the same department, thus my intrest.

BTW: someone hinted me about how to get a good bake of normal map (without the problems with ray casting over hard edges): use subdivided (not smoothed. Just Shift+D in modo) lowpoly (set edges to smooth to get smooth normals for baking) to render object-space normal map, then bake it onto a not-subdivided lowpoly (ingame model) to get the final tangent-space normal map.

thanks for the replies.

the shown model currently is the hipoly model, so all of it is hard geometry, no displacements or bumps whatsoever

some parts, like the weldings seams, have been sculpted.

the handgrip is sculpted aswell, then cut with booleans.

its a pretty brute-force approach and i definately could add that detail with bump or displacement maps into the hipoly or add it later on in the normal, but i just want to see how far i can push my workstation biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hi, i hope that your amazing and über pimp AK-74M's be ready at

least for the ArmA2, Nephilim, seems that we gonna need 'em...

good job on that VSS, it looks very well done. Let's C ya

oh well... the ak is somewhat old by now... 2 years or so, my skills got better, so that model is pretty redundant :P

dunno. maybe i can get someone to get it ingame and finish it off.

Quote[/b] ]

I'm also intrested in the hatching on this thing, how was this done.

I know a fairly simple method of making them in modo, but these things are really hipoly :O. Is this mesh or did you make a displacement map?

what do you mean by hatching?

Quote[/b] ]BTW: someone hinted me about how to get a good bake of normal map (without the problems with ray casting over hard edges): use subdivided (not smoothed. Just Shift+D in modo) lowpoly (set edges to smooth to get smooth normals for baking) to render object-space normal map, then bake it onto a not-subdivided lowpoly (ingame model) to get the final tangent-space normal map.

well it sounds like it would work but, doesnt seem too efficient.

specially since the o-s-normal could feck up the tangent if casted badly :P

i c that you folks still have problems with those hard edges ?

ive discussed this with dasquade a while back.

people make the mistake to set hard edges in oxygen/other apps.

you should drop this entirely! set the whole object to smooth /one smoothing group.

this will ensure that the baked normal map from a hi poly model, will be rendered correctly on the low poly.

baking the normal map with hard edges in the low poly will give you wrong results and artifacts, which will just look bad.

hope thats what youre asking for :P if not.. blame it onthe coffee.. it was bad today :P

you should drop this entirely! set the whole object to smooth /one smoothing group.

this will ensure that the baked normal map from a hi poly model, will be rendered correctly on the low poly.

baking the normal map with hard edges in the low poly will give you wrong results and artifacts, which will just look bad.

Been there, done that. Won't work. Effect was terrible. :/

The rendered normal map is stretched to all sides due to the fact the ray casting was made allong the lowpoly normals. And lowpoly normals were meesed up by setting whole thing to smooth so ray casting went horribly wrong as a result.

Furthermore I am not certain but it appears the method of interpolation of normal within faces is inconsistent between O2 and other apps, so it's better to keep the normal map blue and differences of normals allong edges of polies low.

This is just suspicion, but a strong one due to the fact that this stretched and deformed normal map I got by using all-smooth lowpoly had uneven surface (triangle-shaped artifacts) even thou it should not.

You didn't understand me I think, or I described it incorrectly.

Object-space normal map is the rainbow one, it contains no information about the lowpoly mesh normals. So it doesn't matter the two lowpoly have different normals.

Then you use the fact the UVs are the same between the two lowpolies and you simply apply the "rainbow" normal map to the new, hard-edge lowpoly.

The third step is to change the "rainbow" normal map to tangent-space normal map using normals of this hard-edged lopoly.

The effect is the normals from hipoly are transferred to ingame, hard-edge lowpoly, however the ray casting is done using normals from the other, subdivided lowpoly. Thus avoiding the distorsion.

Noweher in the process is there any baking between the two lowpolies, the correspondence of UV is enougth.

BadBenson nice houses and the details are very inspiring smile_o.gif

Its really nice m8!

Keep it up! smile_o.gif