Sign in to follow this  
maukings

1.7 beta impressions

Can anyone (especially from BIS) see the pattern that is emmerging?!.

8800 = mainly p**sed off, lod bugs etc

7900/X1900 = generally happy

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

7600GS 512MB, happy too. wink_o.gif

6800 GS Go = happy too

I know you guys with 8800 do not have much about this comment, but just to express my happyness icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, got a 8800 too and I'm having the LOD problems etc.. However I don't see exactly why I should be pissed off when a beta patch that is intended to sort such problems out (well, the stuff that isn't directly related to lousy drivers) doesn't work perfectly.

In this spirit I also wish Lee_H._Oswald goodbye. wink_o.gif

(hint: don't take me too serious, Oswald, I'm sorry and also generally a bad person! I also know you had enough trouble with ArmA related stuff that didn't have "beta" in its name. )

Great patch. Thanks BIS. Performance seems improved on a 7600GO card... no graphical issues.

Love the Armoury, love the 203 sights (now some modder can work on making them adjustable)...

The only single issue I had was an armoury challenge. It seemed to want me to start a boat challenge on land.

Now finally tanking is a BLAST...for the first time in a unmoded BI game i'm able to perform a hull down, fire and roll back manouver and disabling a T-72 with first hit of a HE,

thanks to better gun depression and higher HE damage value.

Armour values are far less a Problem now, since you can avoid much better to be hit.

To take out a three ship platoon of T-72s with just a single M1A1 is possible now just look for the right location to attack from.

Additionaly the zoom in the commanders view is a huge improvement too, as is the zoom in Strykers and BRDMs gunner Station.

The TOW can be fired and guides without lock...another hughe step towards realism.

I just found good stuff so long....exept performance issues when flying.

Whats up with the gamma change?....ugh.

Performance worse than 1.4 ...but at least it doesnt crash.

6600 core 2

gtx 8800

4gig ram

vista 64 bit

Erm whenever I play a game with the beta my character never has any guns armed!

1 thing I hope that gets fixed quick is the heli training mission. I get into my heli when told, but the guy supposedly acting as co pilot won`t get in. I cannot fly tehy training mission without him. lol It worked in the U.S. demo, but for some odd reason didn`t in my U.S. release copy or after this patch was installed.

Not a showstopper. Just wanna practice with that mission. ;p

Wow massive FPS boost with the new beta -- the game is much silkier and generally looks and feels much better. No new graphics issues at all, excellent work gents.

----

Intel E6600 C2D

2GB 6400 RAM

Radeon X1950XTX 512MB

Catalyst 7.4

Win XP

EDIT: Just played Evolution and amazingly the Kamov fired rockets at my Hummveee!!!! Gave me a shock as am so used to just ignoring it!!! Now, will it use its cannon on infantry I wonder (oh please oh please! ) ?

as i posted bugs in other thread then i post opinions in this thread smile_o.gif

no installation issues (over retail 1.05 with 1.05beta) w/o any error

overall performance seems to be improved, FPS are more steady

yet bushes and trees in CLOSE up and especially in scope near view SLAUGHTER FPS

IF Shading is anything else than Very Low (with some Low is still acceptable but Normal and higher not)

tested on X1950pro, X1950XT with nearly identical fps drop)

Very Low Shading and Bush

Low Shading and Bush

Normal Shading and Bush

i'm glad that Grenade Launchers got IS but please made it the GL sight rails to be down when using non GL mode ...

best would be if GL IS are adjustable by range

no sounds issues yet but need really long MP session to be sure

3D to map to 3D switching is instant >> real improvement smile_o.gif

editor loading times seems improved too ...

no createsurface errors yet, no memory mapping errors yet

(need to retry with maxmem higher in range 1023-2047)

AI seems to reacts better under attack(logic wise and also miss often)

yet there are still issues when you fire via launcher grenade at 300m distant walking trooper (away from your position)

and in same moment you hide (lay down) behind bush while AI 3s later EXECUTE You (no chance to even see me)

EDIT: added some screenshots ...

Ok first of all, nice 203 sight, however, it isn't adjustable, which isn't all that bad, you can still use it... The worst thing I've discovered is that the 203 sight isn't collapsible. You are supposed to be able to raise and lower the M203 sight, instead when you switch to semi or burst you have to look through the 203 Ironsight and at your front sight post.

Another thing... when are we going to be able to use the sight post on top of the M4 ACOG? that is infact for close range. I got slight performance increase with an X800XL everything seems a bit better. Am overwhelmed that the javelin works... there won't be much tank whores now that its back in action.

I recommend fixing these 8800 errors cause a lot of people have those cards.

New features in 1.07:

- LOD bugs

- missing textures

- flickering textures

- unnamed independent vulcan (editor)

- idiotic mapped keys for my joystick(unchangeable?) <- ?!?! *WTF*

---

I give it up... Thanks BIS, good work.

MfG Lee

I have an 8800GTX and I am having EXACTLY these same problems. Never did this before until 1.07

My textures keep reverting back to low somehow AND my framerate will drop. I switch it back to high, framerate goes back up for awhile, then textures switches itself back to low and framerates plummet again.

Joystick mapping is suddenly fubar'd for me too. Whenever I use the fire button on my Saitek X52, the helo goes into autohover mode - yet there is no where that the button is mapped for that in the controls menu.

I understand why he is pissed. 1.07 is a giant step back for me.

I had to lower the graphics setting to "low" to get a playable performance...in 1.05 this was at "normal", in 1.5b this was "high" on maps with few units.

I get constant lockups in "normal" game pauses often or even loads something using the loading screen in missions.

I had 4 CTDs in 45 minutes oft testing.

Flying AH-1Z on Sahrani ended with strange artifacts after a 20 seconds loading pause (never had this with any previous version) and morphing terrain with graphical artifacts in the northern hills. Switch to external cameras resulted in CTD.

Firing missiles or rockest results in short lockup (loading) and CTD short after missile/rocket impacts (smoke)

Most improvement unitwise in 1.07b are good (tanks, vehicles) but enginewise game got unplayable with 1.07b.

I applied beta on a fresh installment patched to 1.05.

I just stoped testing it and uninstalled.

Performance ist worse than initial 1.0 release on this point and on my system.

The RACS M163 Vulcan editor entry is blank.

End of beta test for me.

Thank god its just a Beta.

PS: There is a new car in editor: Landrover-Policecar.

Windows XP Home SP2

Athlon XP 3200+

1024MB PC3200 DDR (Infineon)

EVGA 7800GS CO

Nvidia 93.71 Drivers

Over all i got a drop in performace. Texture loads are worse fps is alot lower in towns, go back to beta 1.05 for now.

Just tried 1.05 beta again = Its lot smoother for me. Thing i noticed is 1.07 doesnt seem to cache as good !

Running with maxmem 1200 on bought beta's.

4600 x 2

3 gig

x1950xtx , Dont get handle leak

XP home

Renamed bat & beta 1.05 folder before install

For me the performance has only increased if it has changed at all.

Hmm... 3 crashes in under half an hour of testing... doesn't seem to be stable on my computer. Also a graphical problem appeared when looking towards a BLUFOR soldier through a Dragunov scope; I can't say what it exactly was, but it was ugly! It looked like maybe the BLUFOR soldier "spread" over the whole screen or something. Or it was the fault of a BLUFOR battle tank which was knocking a tree over in the background. Then the game crashed. Graphic settings were on low mostly.

I deleted my original beta directory and the .bat file before I installed it. If you installed over the other beta files, maybe this is causing some kind of problem.

Is the M16 burst really slow for anyone else? I also noticed that the light trucks (Land Rover & UAZ) are more sluggish than the Humvee. I haven't driven any of those but for some reason it doesn't make sense. The UAZ with mounted weapons in 1.05 was more what I had in mind and I thought that the rigidness of their unarmed brothers was a bug, not the other way around.

Javelins are jacked up still... they did the modeling.. and optics good, but it still misses horridly and when you lay down with the javelin on your back it blocks your line of sight really bad.

Yeah the M16 burst is useless now -- guess they're trying to make people aim more with single shots or something huh.gif

Does anyone know if 12.7mm MG emplacement will attack Cobra now? Havent had time to test it.

the T72 and the BMP are now very powerful against the choppers , they are just like shilkas , in 1.05 the chopper was the cat and the tanks the mouses , now is at reverse

Not played it much yet so I can't comment on the graphics, but on testing the A10 I discovered as a few others have too that the Joystick keys are mapped oddly. Everything still has the same function as I've mapped it in the controls menu, but now they do extra things as well - button 2 now switches weapons as well as zooming and locking targets as I set it to (that makes manual targetting a bit tricky), and Buttons 5 and 6 are now mapped to 'Previous' and 'Next'. Needs to be fixed obviously. sad_o.gif

the T72 and the BMP are now very powerful against the choppers , they are just like shilkas , in 1.05 the chopper was the cat and the tanks the mouses , now is at reverse

As it should be...it's not very clever to get into heavy MG or 30mm cannon range with a Chopper....you have standoff missiles for that.

As it should be...it's not very clever to get into heavy MG range with a Chopper....you have standoff missiles for that.

Agreed 100%. This is personally my favorite thing I noticed in Combat Operations, and I fly aircraft 80% of the time! It boils down to the fact that, like you said, you NEED to standoff. Engage those T72's from however-many km away you are able. Get into a good pop-up position and move before the his buddies realize their commander just got smacked in the back of the helmet by an uninvited Hellfire.

This was a big issue for me in OFP, I'm thrilled they fixed it to be more realistic now.