Sign in to follow this  
JdB

World War 2 or Modern mods?

Hi,

Following the (almost) global launch of ArmA I have noticed a lack in serious World War 2 themed mods as compared to more modernly themed ones.

I have created this poll to see if this "trend" is being caused by the addonmakers themselves, or if there is a lack of interest in the subject of WW2 with the players/fans.

Please note that this is not a discussion about or criticism towards the WW2 mods that are around, but an inquiry about the theme itself.

Kind regards,

JdB

Im not sure if WW2 is more interesting, but its definately an interesting theme for a game (and even though we already had loads of WW2 games, we havent had an ArmA version yet).

Null vote, but i would play a WW2 mod (if its decent ofcourse wink_o.gif ). smile_o.gif

I have noticed a lack in serious World War 2 themed mods as compared to more modernly themed ones.

I think its continuing from the OFP trend, not alot of WW2 mods actually released alot of stuff, eg: I44 was never completed. So i think WW2 era mods arnt taken too seriously anymore.

Just my 2c's thumbs-up.gif

For me, modern wars are too sterile. Or shapeless. Hope you get the point.

I mostly like Vietnam and WW2 mods. But the quality of the mod is at first place for me. There is FDF which can't boast with a clear theme, but I like playing it. CSLA is a similar example.

My WW2 vote goes to pre '90s mods. Because I find that the Gulf War is among the first of those 'sterile' wars. I'm just bored of all those soldiers with NVGs and in a CS style postion going through urban areas.

Voted for modern. Never been a fan of pre-1950s set games, films, books or anything really.

Also, WW2 has been done to death, it's as if it's the only conflict that happened last century (no disrespect meant, just in gaming terms). What about Yom Kippur? Six Day War? Aden? Panama? Mozambique? Angola? Colombia? Korea?

There are so many conflicts which would be really interesting to simulate, but that I guess are just not 'cool' (can't believe I'm using that word, but it's the unfortunate truth) enough icon_rolleyes.gifsad_o.gif

Hitting on that, how about the wars before WW2, like WW1, US Civil war, 18th Century fighting etc, we have a huge history of warfare, but most people stay within the last 10 yrs crazy_o.gif

The Yugoslav wars of the 1990's would be interesting to experience in ArmA.

Actually something that doesn't have USA in it would be good and refreshing.

I voted for modern. But I have nothing against WW II -based mods. In OFP's FDF Mod there are modern-era and WW II -era troops. I enjoyed both but favoured more the modern theme as it is much closer to my time in the FDF.

I voted for WW2, but then again, if Vietnam (being 60's) counts as modern, oh well.

I like all mods I have in my Flashpoint, from Napoleonic to US Civil War to WW2 to Vietnam to 2000's and everything in between.

As far as modern warfare goes, I'd really enjoy something fresh, not just going from point a to point b and killing everything in sight, but like the various peacekeeping operations going on everywhere in the world today with peacekeepers from various countries operating there. Afghanistan, Yugoslavia etc. And if it's a peacekeeping campaign, every mission doesn't need to have shooting at all!

I voted modern because its my preference but seeing some decent WW2 stuff would be great wink_o.gif

The Black Hawk Down mod for ofp was looking pretty kick ass, if that was ported over it would be perfect. The somalia campaign was a mix of the two styles of fighting it was tactical but it also got very brutal and basic like WW2 in Operation: Irene pistols.gif

WW2 stuff would be nice as it would differ from most arma mods around. I would like to see a Vietnam mod but has anyone thought of doing any old British conflicts like the Falklands or Oman.

Btw vilas has a WW2 weapons pack if anyone didn't know

i don't like modern war games :/

i like the most RTCW, MOHAA, COD...

i prefer Cold War so thats why OFP was it biggrin_o.gif

for the first 1985, 1970 & WW2 biggrin_o.gif

i was angry when i saw ARMA in ACU and banana republic SLA&KKAS in sixcolor and G36

my vote is for CWC, WW2, not modern war

CWC because 1985 is year of my childhood , those dirty streets and houses from OFP biggrin_o.gif

for me modern war is also not interesting "morally"

in WW2 world was fighting madman killer with idiotic mustash who killed many milions

now what? killing innocent and poor people for oil or for they not obey the rich (a give they raw materials for free to the big companies) ?

modern war for me is hideous - here is no "who is better", but "who is more rich" , first bombing, than heavy tanks and all against hungry, not equipped, not trained farmer with AK

for me it is like from Mothy Python - "we bought more heavier tanks because bushmen have longer spears"

real modern war is like fight of Arnold Schwarzenegger with cripple, giving something like this to games, mods, eeeeeee :/

game do not simulate mass bombings, electronic war, in real

if we wanna simulate modern war it needs too much scripts, first mass bombing on city of enemy, all ruined, if someone is alive we have tanks, what is a sense of game/fights F16 and Abrams vs. few men with AK and with one magazine and no NVG no vests ?

modern war there is no mass infantry fights like few decades before,

in OFP, ARMA we have infantry/tank simulator, not good for modern war

so i prefer mods from time when infantry was fighting

for me war is good only if you fight for your home, not attacking other :/

definitely WW2 smile_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

50/50 wink_o.gif null vote

50/50 wink_o.gif null vote

30/70. wink_o.gif

I think people have most likely had enough of WWII mods. It's probably better to spend efforts elsewhere.

Abs

I agree with Vilas, in a modern war there is so many systems that Arma doesnt simulate very well. Tanks, airplanes etc has so many electronic gadgets that is imposible to simulate in Arma. WW2 is mostly eyeball tecnology and generally slower paced witch suits the Arma platform perfect.

I would love to see a game who sets a great 40's 50's setting but I also loved the FFUR 2006 mod in OFP

A BHD mod would be great but also something WW2-like the normandie island for OFP was great and I love to see that being made for ArmA

Would love to see some more original stuff though whistle.gif LowLandWarriors are busy with something about Bonaire, something I have not yet seen anywhere else. I don't even care what era as long as the terrain looks great and has great combat posibilities

WWII and the rest of the conflicts of the cold war, Indochina, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan...

1985 was a good year for war.

ww2 by far, seems much more interesting than all this modern day shiney plastic. I like there to be atleast some sense of balance.