Sign in to follow this  
MilitiaSniper

ArmA Disappointing

I just wanted them to produce a game that I would enjoy as much as their last one but unfortunately they didn't.

whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]Anyone Else Disappointed?

Incredibly, my specs aren't great but they exceed the required specs for ArmA but I struggle to play the game with all settings on the lowest as possible with 750 VD. The game to me in unplayable in every way.

Sure patches might fix these things but I think back to the days of OFP and that even without patches I was playing the game almost non stop however with ArmA I played it for an hour and already felt like uninstalling it off my hard drive.

And its not just performance I'm disappointed in. The game play is incredibly poor compared to OFP. I like the effect of birds and flies flying about and thats the only plus side on the atmosphere.

Sure ArmA has special burning effects on tanks but it looks stupid, tanks are more likely to burn from inside with flames pouring out. But in ArmA I just look at the fires and laugh. ArmA also has very nice sky effects, water effects and more but all this seems to pointless when a 4 year old game had none of this but yet had better game play.

Also whilst playing ArmA it also feels like very little time was put into the game. BIS used motion capture to make their animations so why are many of the animations just reversed? Why does the running and sprinting animation look like the soldier is a retard? Why would I much rather prefer OFPs old animations where the gun isn't even in the shoulder?

BIS have tried to make a game with wonderful graphics but all models and textures appear too clean. Call me difficult but I would much rather have all of OFPs models and textures - they may have not been pretty but at least computers could run them models without being on the brink of setting on fire.

Nearly everything in ArmA is improved over OFP but yet in my mind OFP is still the superior game even with out any modifications.

Baff1,

Hit the nail on the head

my thoughts exactly wink_o.gif

That said OFP was the best money I ever spent on a game

I can't imagine how much more money I would have wasted on more games that I would never play before I got my hands on OFP biggrin_o.gif thanks for the savings BIS

I bet we will all be glad we have a copy of this game a year or two down the road

~S~

Every game need good Campaign or Story in order to suck the player in...,after that, multiplayer and all other thingies are plus!.

This way, like BF2, you are just "cutoff" off the game soul...like you are throwin into the game without point.

OpF's Storyline, campaign, made Flashpoint a cult...not addons!, addons and mods came after!...and a lot of people were inspired by it.

This is why ArmA has no "soul" sad_o.gif

Damn...only game beside Flaspoint that suck me into gameplay is Mafia!, even there aren't any mods nor multiplayer available for it, I play it from time to time...and in that way I feel somehow conected to the game... xmas_o.gif

The only thing which lacks for me in ArmA is the campaign.. other niggles obviously, but i love to play the game smile_o.gif i just dislike the campaign.. i got half way thru and just quit cause i got bored... didnt drag me in..

Quote[/b] ]Second dissapointment would be how tank commanders can fire their MG's while inside, however I think that has some association to do with the Stryker being able to do so.

This is realistic. They can fire the .50 on an Abrams while buttoned up.

The majority of posts in this thread are reflections on how i too feel about ArmA.

I particularly find the pathfinding to be extremely bad and the amount of bugs which were fixed many moons ago in flashpoint are still in ArmA. There's even some still in 1.07beta(i'm talking about the very minor bugs like the AI not able to turn out in safe mode, which for me are immersion breakers) . banghead.gif

For me though its the island of sahrani that's getting me frustrated. A good example is what happened today in the editor.

I set up a mission involving a straight forward helo flight and insertion onto a mountain top. The insertion went well but i had to intervene in the helos flight path as it kept crashing into treetops(i find this happens a lot on Sahrani). Once i had that sorted i then had another problem, because of where the squad had been dropped off they wouldn't continue to there next waypoint. I even tried giving the squad closer waypoints but they wouldn't budge. I could walk down the slope without automatically lying down but the AI wouldn't move.

This was a simple mission made difficult by AI behaviour on a island which has too many raised areas.

I suppose my point is that, whats the point in making a larger island if the AI cant go places. Those montain areas are a complete waste of landmass.  Also because of the lag in the forest areas i wont bother making missions there either. Infact i realy only use saralite. And this coming from someone with a dual core and quad SLI PC.  crazy_o.gif

Sometimes i love this game, but then something stupid happens and i just have to throw my hands up in the air.

i just dislike the campaign.. i got half way thru and just quit cause i got bored... didnt drag me in..

Funny but that perfectly sums up OFP's campaign for me. I had the game for years before I found the interest to finish the campaign. I was focused on multiplayer, the mission editor, and creating islands(none of which made it to release).

Performance-wise I must be lucky because my experience seems to be the opposite of most people here. When I bought OFP my system was top of the line. Asus top mobo, PIII 700, GeForce 256 and creative soundblaster live. All of which were fastest and most expensive availble at the time. OFP ran like crap, snail-like framerate and scopes slowed even worse. But I enjoyed the game too much to shelve it for 200 fps in UT or other junk.

Now for me ArmA on an old low-end system, runs much smoother while easily looking 10X better.

ArmA's campaign leaves something to be desired, but for me OFP's did as well.

So no I'm definitly not disappointed

I can't stand how obstructive the grass is and that veteran difficulty is bound to a minimum of ai skill 0.75

Even good custom missions are a continuously "bang bang you're dead" experience just because of the human disadvantages compared with the ai.

The AI isn't lifelike enough to make the game enjoyable, and the movement and the physics and the explosions are all pretty crap.

I can't quite put my finger on what annoys me about the guns, I think it's the recoil, the recoil doesn't snap back fast enough, the animation is too slow in 1st person.

When you watch someone firing it looks like there is absolutely no recoil and just a yellow laser coming from their gun.

The sounds are terrible, not enough echo from gunshots and the sonic crack sounds terrible and repetetive without an echo.

Explosions really do feel unrewarding, it's like they are almost 2D in some ways...

We shouldn't have to expect bugs in the first place, when the audio/visuals are still rather crap...

Just think -

For all the countless hours of griping, cursing, and wishing that ArmA were better, and all the days and months spent developing custom materials to make the game half playable, we could be working at a job and saving up for the game we all want ArmA to be.. VBS2.

I'm personally sick and tired of messing around with ArmA. Every feature that could have and should have been implemented into the game was stolen for VBS2, just so BIS can make a little more money.

Watch the trailer for it; realistic tracers (which you can actually disable if you want to, another joke ArmA bug), ballistics, more realism, and I'd bet money that there are no performance issues with it.

I'm personally sick and tired of messing around with ArmA. Every feature that could have and should have been implemented into the game was stolen for VBS2, just so BIS can make a little more money.

Ok, some questions: How exactly do you steal a feature and since when is VBS developed by one studio alone? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a company need an income to, you know, survive? I guess you could pay the staff with hugs but somehow I think that's not an optimal business strategy in the long run.

i am disapointed that soldiers can't jump, smallest fence is big problem, you cannot jump when emeny runs for you, youmust walk over fence, even very small

i realize im new to these forums and havent posted before, but i just started reading this thread and saw this post and just HAD to comment.

if you can put on a full tactical loadout in real life, and then jump over a wall/fence, i would be glad to see them implement it ingame. last time i checked though, you cant really jump while wearing 70+ pounds of gear.

but, like everyone else says, i truly hope for this game to shape up in a patch or so into the true OFP2 we have all been expecting.

but, like everyone else says, i truly hope for this game to shape up in a patch or so into the true OFP2 we have all been expecting.

Yeah, I hope so too; although I don't it will happen over night. OFP went through some big changes during it's lifetime.

The only disappointing things to me are that some of the old limitations are still there. Stuff that's most likely incredibly time consuming and problematic to change.

I am definitely not disappointed about Arma. smile_o.gif

Arma is good, and it`s getting better and better.

Thanks god that i`m atm not have the budget to build an new PC, with GF8800 and stuff like that. wink_o.gif

On my nearly outdated rig, Arma runs very well without strange errors.

I don`t have bought Arma to get an A+ campaign and missions delivered with the game.

I bought an very big sandbox full of nasty stuff, and have much fun with it. biggrin_o.gif

I would say it was a solid game if the AI wasn't so broken

The AI isn't necessarily broken, but a lot their weak points have been compensated for at the wrong places. Since the AI is not (yet?) able to react correctly when under fire - i.e. take cover, get organized and return fire - they have been "boosted" with super-aiming and enhanced senses, which makes them seem unrealistic in certain situations.

The most surreal experience I ever had with the AI was in the SP mission "Convoy Ambush". I placed all the satchels along the road, put AT mines at the top end and then ran into the woods. When the lead BMP hit the mines, I set off the satchels, killing most of the trucks.

Hiding in the woods, the AI had never actually seen me - they weren't shooting at me anyway. Between some trees I could see the aft end of the second BMP2. It's turret was looking in a different direction, so I decided to take out my M136 launcher and pop it while I still could... but at the exact moment when I had the launcher in hand, the BMP2 made a jump backwards, the turret swerved around and fired a single shot at me, killing me instantly - that happened within one second, before I could even begin to aim. Magic.

Like I said, the AI isn't broken, it's just an unfortunate mix of totally retarded and superhuman.

well retarded and super aim sounds broken to me tounge2.gif

Seriously though it's insane. 1.05 patch made the enemy AI TOO good, before it was too useless. Friendly AI hasn't changed they are still dumb.

I cannot do the single mission blood sweat and tears due to the total incompetence of my team mates in the 3rd stage of it. 1 bmp and 2 squads of enemies can kill my 2 squads will relative ease. AT soldiers decide that the best course of action to kill a bmp is to run in a straight line towards it. Only once have I seen them do it well in about 20 attempts at this mission. (at soldier ran to the right up the hill a bit bmp came towards us he blew it up)

The spec ops mission you and 3 AI's taking the village and meeting up with another group. Horrible just horrible. Team mates run across open terrain get in eachothers way try to kill enemies whilst standing up. Couldn't do it with any of them alive.

1.05 also made the mission where u have to sneak into a base to destroy tanks impossible. The snipers in the towers now have super human senses I can't get past them in the dead of night. banghead.gif

so i just finished playing a a map that i was working on, when i noticed that you cant run through small bushes, they have a solid core. that was fairly annoying, because you cant lay in bushes etc. as sniper cover sad_o.gif

The AI pretty much makes the game a paperweight for me, for now. My friends and I were looking for something to play coop and ArmA sounded good. Unfortunately getting sniped by AI from distances where you cannot see them when they are using assault rifles pretty much kills it.

I will be trying it again after a few patches to see if the super aiming issue is addressed. So, yeah. I am disappointed, but I will wait and see what gets addressed in future patches.

Definately not disappointed with the game.Its another BIS masterpiece

My disappointments:

Its not a patch for OFP (I would have paid 50$ for that)

Lost most all OFP content

A lil disappointed on the amount of content included

Few missions

game slightly complex (mission making,addon making)

lil disappointed some of the bugs (no biggie)

Tools for addon making not included which I hoped for but didn't expect yet.

It attracted a bunch of freekin whiners

I was disappointed when I first purchased the game for the Morphicon release. After time, patches, and addons, my disappointment has gradually gone away. There are a few things I'd like to see worked on, but I know that they will be, and I'm fairly patient. I believe in the company, the community, and the game overall.

Played a copy a while ago and had mixed feelings about it, but finally bought it today because I know BIS will eventually squash the bugs.

I agree that the weapon recoil looks and feels odd, especially the M4s and M16s. There are also some things that aren't bugs but should have been addressed: the burst fire speed of the M-series rifles is way off like in OFP and disembarking vehicles still takes far too long for a whole squad. I'm also not that thrilled about Sahrani or the fact that we have a couple of half-complete armies w/o half the equipment you'd expect them to have. That also has to do with the choice of setting, since the story makes it impossible to have Brads, Avengers, etc.

That said I'm REALLY looking forward to Cold War Rearmed...all the classic units, weapons and missions with all the new engine improvements will be well worth the cost of the game IMO.