Sign in to follow this  
MilitiaSniper

ArmA Disappointing

So sick of things like This.

I've really had enough of trying to get this game to work properly, the dream of huge multiplayer battles is over for now, this game is just too deeply flawed.

Quote[/b] ]The Demo is not the final representation of the game.

unless the opposite is noted, it does. the problem is that ArmA will be patched so many times, who's to tell what the final representation of the game is? 1.07 will be our next stop. it won't be the last, therefore the game is not yet finished.

Quote[/b] ]You need to play it online on TS in a team based format to fully enjoy this game!

nowhere is this game advertised as a multiplayer-only game. all official websites talk of immersive singleplayer gameplay. ArmA is supposed to appeal to both kinds of gamers, but it seems to me that the SP content was just thrown in for marketing reasons.

Quote[/b] ]Not trying to offend anyone here just tired of ppl bashing a perfectly good game b4 they see the whole picture.

maybe it's perfectly good for you if you like a half-finished product. most of us expect something different when they buy it off a store's shelf. i'm sure the devs are well aware of the fact that their game is not yet finished, and i'm sure they had their reasons to release it (too) early, but that doesn't mean we have to swallow it without comment, does it?

lol before the thread gets locked tounge2.gif what Armed Assault lacks is a heart, the reason why games are made as there is some point to them. Like why am i shooting these guys in green camo ? I still havent a clue why i need to defend these towns from what or whom? You can go on a on and have the same answer for most of them. So now i will wait till it hits the $10.00 shelf which wont be that long of a wait when its released may 8th in the US.

These forums will be a interesting for the next two weeks rofl.gif i will have to stock up on popcorn because the Entertainment of this car wreck will be worth it. Enjoy

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

There's no reason why a published game should take 5+ patches just to be half decent. Patches should improve the existing version, not renovate the entire thing to the point of bare normalcy and playability.

I love the game and play it often, but it's a joke to think that I should have to wait a year or more for my high-end PC to get over 25 FPS.

Arma sucks on so many levels its not even funny, performance is a joke, even on high end hardware, stock sounds are crap, control interface is clunky, team AI is dumb, enemy AI is super duper, no aircraft/rotorcraft avionics etc.. etc..

But join up with a mature tactical thinking Arma squad and all the niggly bugs and flaws will pale in significance when you're moving through a city together like a pack of wolves. I love this game and it will only get better given time and updates, not to mention future conversions and addons.

Out the box Arma's not for everyone but give it time and play it with a bunch of likeminded individuals and it turns into one of the best gaming experiences you can hope to have.

I got it runing well in a P 4, 1 gig ram and ati 1950 pro.

Sounds are easily replaced by sound mods.

I like the control interface.

Ai is dumb---> yeah

Enemy AI acn be toned down in accuracy, I did it and I like it now.

Avionics? You ask too much maybe.

And yes a good coop is the best. Just terrific.

Don't get me wrong, I was extremely impressed the first night I played.  Watching a Harrier bomb out a village was just awesome.  Unfortunately, the infantry combat is lacking, and lets down the rest of the game since it's the cornerstone.

Another niggle: On Dyslexic's tactical article it mentioned proper moon-lit nights.  In reality, under a new moon I can see pretty well once my eyes adjust.  In ArmA, I can't see squat without NVGs.  Am I doing something wrong or is the night light not working right?

i wont buy this game if my ingame muppet give a 90 degrees superhuman turn in 0.1 secound, try this in your full combat outfit, tell me if you come out without falling/having to see your doctor

mouse lag/ perforemce however, is some problem that i will admin, not causing too much problem for me in mp coop through(and the 158.?? forceware driver fix my texture problem too)

as a side notes, if you play in 3rd person view you will notice that your gun swing much more then in 1st person

I do agree there are issues with ArmA that will limit some people enjoyment of this game. I was also aware when buying the game that it is an update of OFP and not Game2. Like others I would have really liked to have had a fully finished game installed right off the DVD.

This being noted, I am having too much fun playing online with and against both humans and AI that it is worth the “beta testing†we might be doing not to have to wait longer till we would get the “finished†product.

I am anticipating the wonderful addons that I know are and will be created by the community and once the mission making community matures, we’ll see some great missions that will show the full potential that ArmA has. (I am taking into account here that there are already some fantastic missions out there, I’ve just been playing Evolution too much to get around to trying them. rofl.gif )

I do agree there are issues with ArmA that will limit some people enjoyment of this game. I was also aware when buying the game that it is an update of OFP and not Game2. Like others I would have really liked to have had a fully finished game installed right off the DVD.

This being noted, I am having too much fun playing online with and against both humans and AI that it is worth the “beta testing†we might be doing not to have to wait longer till we would get the “finished†product.

I am anticipating the wonderful addons that I know are and will be created by the community and once the mission making community matures, we’ll see some great missions that will show the full potential that ArmA has. (I am taking into account here that there are already some fantastic missions out there, I’ve just been playing Evolution too much to get around to trying them. rofl.gif )

i always wonder if this game is going to be "finish" crazy_o.gif

its more like a V-22 for me

i am disapointed that soldiers can't jump, smallest fence is big problem, you cannot jump when emeny runs for you, youmust walk over fence, even very small

i am disapointed that there is only one big island instead of lets say 2-3 smaller, but different like it was Malden, Kolguyev, Everon - they are the best for me wink_o.gif

i miss cold war era :/ in 2005 we saw screens like from OFP continuation, not from banana republic with not existing SLA and south in sixcolour and G36 :/

i am disapointed not realistic behaviours of some vehicles, weapons (AK74 kicks like hell instead to be most balanced, boats cannot load out transport good, and some more problems)

i am disapointed by graphic behaviour and performance

i am disapointed that SLA soldier models are so few, US soldiers models differ by pouches and etc. but SLA with RPG, AK, PK is the same model, sniper in boonie has pouchech from AK, not SVD

i am disapointed that i saw beautyfull building destruction screens in middle of 2006, but in game there is no such destruction model, after big house there is only small thrash :/

i am disapointed by HDR which makes such mess :

but generally it is big step from OFP, but not such big as i hope for it :/

of course graphically it looks very very good, there is no other game with such real-looking weapons and vehicles

BIS made very big work on ARMA, Sahrani is good (althought too beautyfull for me, i want Cold War climate back and more dirty houses) but ARMA was released too early

if there will be OFP 2 i hope it will have:

- better graphic performance (not loosing textures, LODs - maybe island is too big ?);

- better building destruction scheme,

- ability to jump,

- no HDR or ability to turn it off,

or maybe in some 1.10 patch BIS will do this

aside from the performance and HDR problems others are quite nitpicky imo, you have expected too much from this game

hmm, I've had my days of frustration, sure

But as more patches arrive (and I don't have a game that hasn't needed them) and I better understand its and my machines limitations (found some good stable overclock settings last night for my Gcard wink_o.gif ) I've been getting beter perfomances. IM HAPPY!

form OFP 7 years, form RES 5 years ?

so many years and i expected too much ?

look at OFP and RES release dates

BIS is not company who started yesterday , they show us screens of building destruction : that has hole in the wall after tank shot

do you remember this screens from middle 2006 ?

ability to jump is not big problem to game maker

or ARMA is just Elite XBOX conversion ?

no its 2 years (almost) if you are talking about developing time, it took them from 1996 to 2000 just to get OFP done

and ArmA more or less is a flash start form the begining

the DBD you are talking about is no other then a bunch of engine-CPU eating scripts that never made it into VBS1(YES! VBS1), and BI NEVER said that the better building destruction is dynamic

ARMA is just Elite XBOX conversion-

well thats not totally true, ArmA uses Elite as a basic, used some of the ways that make XB to handle Elite and turn it into PC usage(which after all the box is a PC in general), thats why they show off a huge ass island to show you how well they handle the map, and thats why you can see the early model in 2005 is more or less the same in Elite

no its 2 years (almost) if you are talking about developing time, it took them from 1996 to 2000 just to get OFP done

and ArmA more or less is a flash start form the begining

the DBD you are talking about is no other then a bunch of engine-CPU eating scripts that never made it into VBS1(YES! VBS1), and BI NEVER said that the better building destruction is dynamic

ARMA is just Elite XBOX conversion-

well thats not totally true, ArmA uses Elite as a basic, used some of the ways that make XB to handle Elite and turn it into PC usage(which after all the box is a PC in general), thats why they show off a huge ass island to show you how well they handle the map, and thats why you can see the early model in 2005 is more or less the same in Elite

It's all the same engine mate... Suma posted about it...

OFP-->RES-->ELITE-->ARMA

^^^ ^^^

vbs1 vbs2

But it doesnt mean that they have been developping 100% 8 hours a day, 5 days in the week, for the past xxx years...

Anyway... I think most of the stuff that has been mentioned by Vilas will be resolved in future patches. He only has a minimum cpu though, a dual core 2ghz while the game only supports single core, and 2ghz is the minimum requirement, while recommended is 3ghz smile_o.gif

My Personal Opinion:

ArmA has been advertised or maybe "unofficially known" as the OFP 1.5 and to my opinion they did better, but thats simply my humble opinion. There are bugs, thats shitty, but I've been enjoying 1.05 for weeks and none of the bugs have been real showstoppers for me. I think it turned out to be an OFP 1.8 for me, but certainly not a 2.0, we will need Game2 for that smile_o.gif

The thing is... OFP was fine, it was getting old though, and some of the engine limitations or better said, the unoptimized parts of it.. kinda screamed for an Update (OFP could run like shit even on the top-of the bill machines, depending on addons, scripts etc)... I think ArmA is a good step forward, and simply 'patches' those things that were making OFP old and sluggish...

I wasn't expecting anything more than OFP 1.5 and I got 1.8; fine by me!

I can't say anything about Single Player experience btw, as im a true MP-fan (Coop) and nothing else matters smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]i am disapointed that i saw beautyfull building destruction screens in middle of 2006, but in game there is no such destruction model, after big house there is only small thrash :/
You not confused with VBS :P? Anyway, the bridge is destructable :P
Quote[/b] ]i am disapointed by HDR which makes such mess
Bug, I dont have this problem, and putting hdr precision to 16 or 32 (if you have a decent card :P) resolves it too, next to videocard drivers if im not mistaken
Quote[/b] ]BIS made very big work on ARMA, Sahrani is good (althought too beautyfull for me, i want Cold War climate back and more dirty houses) but ARMA was released too early
Please explain me how "ArmA Released too Early" relates in any way to "I want cold ware climate back"...

Even if they released it later, the theme is Sarahni, not Cold war...

Quote[/b] ]better graphic performance (not loosing textures, LODs - maybe island is too big ?);
Let's stop confusing Features with Bugs (that supposed to get resolved)....
Quote[/b] ]better building destruction scheme
Though it would be really "Cool" what real usage does it bring?
Quote[/b] ]Ability to jump
This aint Quake3, why would we need Jump? Maybe "Push-self-over-object" would indeed be cool, but really, is there any priority in this one??
Quote[/b] ]no HDR or ability to turn it off
This has been explained to you before why this is not possible to remove, all day/night cycle, enemy sight, your sight etc, it's all hooked up/linked up together, take away the 1 thing, and you must also take away the other things...

well i just didnt make it clear enought, my bad. and i am totally aware of that, thanks for clean up for me anyway

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]better building destruction scheme
Though it would be really "Cool" what real usage does it bring?

well quite uesful acturally, like making a small hole so sniper could shoot out, enter the room in an unexpected way, make fire fight more realistic(bullet/ shells do go through walls) many, but then i have no idea how lag would it be

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Ability to jump
This aint Quake3, why would we need Jump? Maybe "Push-self-over-object" would indeed be cool, but really, is there any priority in this one??
that why i am thinking of a "looping"(not jump) forward features would be good

aside from the performance and HDR problems others are quite nitpicky imo, you have expected too much from this game

Yeah I'm very fussy as well, I mean I expect the game to run properly without textures screwing up how unrealistic of me.

At least BF2 plays properly out of the box, too arcady yes but at least it runs without so many damn issues, if things aren't a whole lot better when 1.07 is released then that is it with me and Arma enough is enough.

Quote[/b] ]well quite uesful acturally, like making a small hole so sniper could shoot out, enter the room in an unexpected way, make fire fight more realistic(bullet/ shells do go through walls) many, but then i have no idea how lag would it be
That's nice ideas indeed smile_o.gif

well i wouldnt mind to pay BI my 50 bucks more to make ArmA change over to DX10 if that makes Arma smoother and better and more(TIR,new rig, may be a new mon too, i have spend so much for arma and it gives me back as what i want it to be, personally i cant ask for more, but afterall, more is better)

Quote[/b] ]There are bugs, thats shitty, but I've been enjoying 1.05 for weeks and none of the bugs have been real showstoppers for me.

South part is desert. Excellent for far shots with tank. You ever tried to see and aim anything over 1000m through the tank optics full with shit?

Did you try to zoom as tank comm to do your duty to spot targets/keeping overview?

Tried to use heavy sniper rifles on light armor which sometimes needs 2-4 rounds to be stopped but you need to find your target again after each shot cause you aim in the air after each.

The Stryker optics? Try to aim.

The ironsight of the 203?

The ironsight of the M136?

The non-destructible windows in buildings?

Some bushes which are like rocks and stop tanks like a tank trap?

Each single oddity might not be a show stopper, but all those examples plus the rest you can see here...

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view_all_bug_page.php

...is at least a show stopper for serious league gaming or for anything that claims to be a mil sim.

At the moment I see a bugged FPS with extreme high potential.

if the ACE mod is as good as what dslyecxi said it to be then we might be closer to the objective, but first, BI need to FIX the game, and BITCHING wont help to do so

Is maintaining a bug tracker bitching?

I just want to avoid wrong impressions.

ACE can`t be out soon because they suffering from the bugs too.

If ACE would just need to correct the configs, DVD could do also the job /did it already partly.

And, I know the word is forbidden, but we would need TOOLS for delivering decent community-made content(not for simple config-tweak).

Then I would not moan about a BI tanks since I would use an RHS tank or whatever.

Is maintaining a bug tracker bitching?

I just want to avoid wrong impressions.

ACE can`t be out soon because they suffering from the bugs too.

If ACE would just need to correct the configs, DVD could do also the job /did it already partly.

And, I know the word is forbidden, but we would need TOOLS for delivering decent community-made content(not for simple config-tweak).

Then I would not moan about a BI tanks since I would use an RHS tank or whatever.

i am not saying you are bitching

flaws needed to be fix, really, but what i cant stand is that there are just too many ppl saying(or atless sounds like) that BI are not fixing anything, nor BI have any word about what is this bug and why is this not fixed, i hope time will change things, but after all we need to wait(may be another 4 years? same time that BI taken to develope FP?)

take in mind please that there are now national days off work related to end of war etc.

most of firms allows employees to get "off" in first 2 weeks of this month ...

so if not nothing happens this week don't be angry ...

BI is not able/willing to fix all those things within a short time due to other commitments and hence lack of resources.

Or how do you explain that BI does not implement fixes served on a silver plate by the community (e.g.fixes by DVD to the tanks and Stryker)?

Most of the time they are really simple, but BI must be heavy overloaded since it requires always a proper testing and it seems that even that can`t be made.

But if I see the quality of the current BI addons, they could easy take over community addons/corrections without testing, it can only get better.