Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

I agree with Snafu. Even though aircraft could be arguably the "worst" part of the simulation, there is a hell of a lot involved in co-op air support missions. The avionics don't need to be anywhere near flight sim quality to have fireworks and realistic results from an infantry perspective. And it's a hell of a lot more fun with a human pilot on the other end of the radio that's zeroing in on your smoke grenade.

So planes would be appreciated in OFP2.

Daniel @ Sep. 04 2008,03:31)]I agree with Snafu. Even though aircraft could be arguably the "worst" part of the simulation, there is a hell of a lot involved in co-op air support missions. The avionics don't need to be anywhere near flight sim quality to have fireworks and realistic results from an infantry perspective. And it's a hell of a lot more fun with a human pilot on the other end of the radio that's zeroing in on your smoke grenade.

I suppose it's just the personal preference of the player I guess. They most likely will have jets or else they would look stupid for having them in OFP but not in OFP2.

Daniel @ Sep. 04 2008,03:31)]I agree with Snafu. Even though aircraft could be arguably the "worst" part of the simulation, there is a hell of a lot involved in co-op air support missions. The avionics don't need to be anywhere near flight sim quality to have fireworks and realistic results from an infantry perspective. And it's a hell of a lot more fun with a human pilot on the other end of the radio that's zeroing in on your smoke grenade.

I suppose it's just the personal preference of the player I guess. They most likely will have jets or else they would look stupid for having them in OFP but not in OFP2.

it is a personal preference, but once you tried a successful coop CAS the feeling is hard to forget for many ppl wink_o.gif

CAS is also possible with helicopters, though...

Yeah but so much more fun with planes.

CAS is also possible with helicopters, though...

Yeah but so much more fun with planes.

That's a subjective matter.

IMO, development allocated to fixed wing aircraft is well worth the expense. smile_o.gif

Actually, I cannot imagine OFP or ArmA without them. wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]September 3, 2008

Operation Flashpoint 2 To Use Image Metrics

Operation Flashpoint 2 To Use Image Metrics UK-based developer and publisher Codemasters is working with Image Metrics to create facial animations for its key characters in upcoming first-person shooter Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising.

Due spring 2009 for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Operation Flashpoint 2 is a "military conflict simulator" that allows players to choose between a range of military disciplines, vehicles, and equipment before heading into combat. Players can take on the role of an infantry marine, a helicopter pilot, a special forces officer, or a tank commander.

Using Image Metrics' facial animation solutions, the developer can capture an actor's facial performance, analyze it pixel-by-pixel, and then transfer it onto a computer generated character model. The software has been used previously to animate characters in games including 2K Games' Top Spin 3, Epic's Unreal Tournament 3, and Rockstar's Midnight Club Los Angeles and Grand Theft Auto IV.

Codemasters is using the software specifically to help communicate key characters' emotions and expressions during Operation Flashpoint 2 cutscenes. Image Metrics will develop 57 shots for the game, totaling 262 seconds of animation created in about one month, the company says.

"Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising will take players closer to war then they've ever come before," says Codemasters Studios senior producer Brant Nicholas. "To achieve that end, we turned to Image Metrics' facial animation solutions because of their unique ability to perfectly capture the range of emotions that soldiers experience in combat."

Demo of the concept: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k45d9lQe4OQtMaKS20

Nice for the cinematics if you ask me... but otherwise who cares what Facial expression your enemy has when you shoot him from 200 meters?

They use it only for the cutscenes actually...

But I wonder if they are talking about pre-rendered or ingame...

Quote[/b] ]September 3, 2008

Operation Flashpoint 2 To Use Image Metrics

Operation Flashpoint 2 To Use Image Metrics UK-based developer and publisher Codemasters is working with Image Metrics to create facial animations for its key characters in upcoming first-person shooter Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising.

Due spring 2009 for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Operation Flashpoint 2 is a "military conflict simulator" that allows players to choose between a range of military disciplines, vehicles, and equipment before heading into combat. Players can take on the role of an infantry marine, a helicopter pilot, a special forces officer, or a tank commander.

Using Image Metrics' facial animation solutions, the developer can capture an actor's facial performance, analyze it pixel-by-pixel, and then transfer it onto a computer generated character model. The software has been used previously to animate characters in games including 2K Games' Top Spin 3, Epic's Unreal Tournament 3, and Rockstar's Midnight Club Los Angeles and Grand Theft Auto IV.

Codemasters is using the software specifically to help communicate key characters' emotions and expressions during Operation Flashpoint 2 cutscenes. Image Metrics will develop 57 shots for the game, totaling 262 seconds of animation created in about one month, the company says.

"Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising will take players closer to war then they've ever come before," says Codemasters Studios senior producer Brant Nicholas. "To achieve that end, we turned to Image Metrics' facial animation solutions because of their unique ability to perfectly capture the range of emotions that soldiers experience in combat."

Demo of the concept: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k45d9lQe4OQtMaKS20

Nice for the cinematics if you ask me... but otherwise who cares what Facial expression your enemy has when you shoot him from 200 meters?

Damn thats pretty crazy.

Impressive as it is its just for fake CGI cinematic art crap... to me

all camera work should always be recorded INGAME anyway.

In OPF and Arma everyone can do their own cuts using animation, facial expression and sync'ed voice acting, INGAME.

MGS is the example of using ingame data to creat ass kicking cutscreens, we all know how OFP/ARMA do on this kind of stuff, i wondered how will it look like in OFP2(if cody ever brothered to)

Impressive as it is its just for fake CGI cinematic art crap... to me

all camera work should always be recorded INGAME anyway.

In OPF and Arma everyone can do their own cuts using animation, facial expression and sync'ed voice acting, INGAME.

What makes you think OFP2 will not have ingame cutscenes. They have only been the standard for a decade or so.

Name an user mission with good "animation, facial expression and sync'ed voice acting". If there even is any, I bet it's laughably bad, if not downright "fake CGI cinematic art crap".

...In addendum:

Come to think of it, Abandoned Armies was and is fucking amazing. Far, far better than anything else, including anything by BIS. I really admire the mad skillz, talent and the mindblowing amount of work put into that mission and it cannot be praised enough. That's the sole crazy exception that proves the rule.

Yet, even with that said, if Codies was to deliver equal quality in their cutscenes today. And I know it's an awfully unfair comparision and it is due to no fault of THobson but shut up, I'm trying to make a point. They'd be the laughing stock of the industry for the rest of their days with such glitchy cinematics.

the problem is that how many ppl here really going to take a close look on your enemy faces? you dont even notice your friendly faces when shits starts hitting the fans confused_o.gif

the problem is that how many ppl here really going to take a close look on your enemy faces? you dont even notice your friendly faces when shits starts hitting the fans confused_o.gif

It would make a much more believable cut scenes, and user videos...

Though I agree in gameplay terms, you wont notice anything when the bullets start flying.

But, if it's done properly, imagine an SF mission, you can see the face of enemy guard and you can see wheter he was scared, bored, sleepy or whatever. I think it can add a lot to tactical value.

Regards

Impressive technology, though it seems a bit non-sense for this type of games.. To me, anyways.

This is a bit like watching Pimp my ride where big sums of money is thrown around like nothing, on junk you would on a second thought not find practical or useful to have in your car.

And Bohemia is a bit like Wheeler dealers... Hmm, gotta stop making analogies to TV shows now icon_rolleyes.gif

I think it's fine that Codies spend that much money on things like this. What I do worry about is whether mission makers and modders will have access or the means to use these animations and facial expressions in their own missions.

It's already possible in ArmA and OFP, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of modding support OFP2 has... which is probably what we know least about.

Wow:

Image Metrics - Video

amazing.

BIS developed their own system close to 10 years ago, see setMimic as well as wav2lip, which was posted on the Flashpoint editing site on Sep 27, 2001.

Codemasters just got around to throwing money at someone else's work here. wink_o.gif

i think there is a bit differents between the two, however i dunno what it was

Well, if anything, this will make for awsome cutscenes.

Its sad for CM to bring up the fanatical OPF:R comunity.. now that they are promoting their new game.

What did they ever do in the past other than sitting on top of OPF's revenue? The rubbish Red Hammer disk for more revenue? CM's OPF board was a ghost town.

And what did BIS do? The game, the free addons (remember those? ), the support, the editing programs.. all that work wich might have affected the development and release of future titles (like OPF:E) but gave this comunity years of gameplay and fun, long after the game was out BIS supported the OPF comunity, even recruited some of its members.

Who knows, maybe we could be playing OPF2 today if CM didnt run away, maybe BIS would have made a great OPF2 if they were backed up by a good publisher.

Now suddenly CM returns full of promisses and love for the franchice and its fans, using a comunity they never supported in the first place to promote this product, a modern copy of someone elses game?

Doesnt seem wright to me whistle.gif .

damn Heatseeker brings it down for real! pistols.gif

Thats one of the best why arma 2 is better than ofp 2 statements i read.