Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

I hope they do what UT3 did and allow mods for the PS3 version. I also hope they make the game's singleplayer long. Halo3,CoD4, and Gears took me two sessions to beat the SP, way too short for 60$ games. Espcially when they want you to pay extra for online.

Ah, but then sony blocked the tools that allow the packaging and transfer of those mods, for the blindingly obvious reason that there's no way for Sony to protect the platform from malformed community content. The unreal team and sony have been going back and forth on this lately, since everyone's mad at unreal for failure to deliver on their launch promises.

They've developed, but sony won't let them deliver. Now in all fairness, it's actually more likely that sony's worried about non-revenue content that they can't slice money from. But, the ability for an unknown third party to inject unvalidated content into the public stream inherently allows for cheat exploitation that would ruin the entertainment of the games, and significantly devalue the platform.

Suppose CoD4 on the Playstation 3 was infested as bad as Arma is. What sort of impact do you think that would have on the console market in general? The isolation from alteration as a cheat prevention mechanism is one of the advantages of consoles over PC's.

Ah, but then sony blocked the tools that allow the packaging and transfer of those mods, for the blindingly obvious reason that there's no way for Sony to protect the platform from malformed community content. The unreal team and sony have been going back and forth on this lately, since everyone's mad at unreal for failure to deliver on their launch promises.

They've developed, but sony won't let them deliver. Now in all fairness, it's actually more likely that sony's worried about non-revenue content that they can't slice money from. But, the ability for an unknown third party to inject unvalidated content into the public stream inherently allows for cheat exploitation that would ruin the entertainment of the games, and significantly devalue the platform.

Suppose CoD4 on the Playstation 3 was infested as bad as Arma is. What sort of impact do you think that would have on the console market in general? The isolation from alteration as a cheat prevention mechanism is one of the advantages of consoles over PC's.

The tools are coming out. Joystig has an artical on it. http://www. ?Joystig.com/2008/01/03/Ut3s-ps3-mod-cooker-expected-next-week/ ? I wouldn't worry about cheaters too much many PC online shooters have mod support and are very succesful. Anti-cheat systems will help too.

Quote[/b] ]well hopefully arma2 & ofp2 devs will be in competition to make the best, coz they know if they dont they will loose monies.

Remeber thought that codies is a significantly larger company than bis, they have far more developers working on the OFP2 project then Bis on the Arma2 project.

But Bis has suprised us in the past.

Codemasters is two brothers I thought?

They have been releasing computer games titles to limited success over the last 20 years. Their games used to cost a fiver each.

I don't think they are exactly a massive multinational. I don't even think they are publicly listed, just a local family business.

I don't remember them having any other best sellers besides Flashpoint.

They have been beset by financial difficulties in the last few years.

Micro Machines!!!

Codemasters is two brothers I thought?

They have been releasing computer games titles to limited success over the last 20 years. Their games used to cost a fiver each.

I don't think they are exactly a massive multinational. I don't even think they are publicly listed, just a local family business.

I don't remember them having any other best sellers besides Flashpoint.

They have been beset by financial difficulties in the last few years.

Erm. No. They started as two bedroom programmers in the 80s but then grew out of that. Codemasters does have a lot more devs than two brothers and they most likely have more devs than BIS. They probably have more money than BIS.

They are no local family business. Where did you get that idea? BIS wouldn't go to a local family buisness to publish OFP. Jeez. They aren't a massive multinational like EA but they are bigger than BIS.

And they have at least one other title which you surely know: Colin McRae Rally.

Quote[/b] ]I'm so sorry with BIS but it's surely that OFP2 will be best than arma 2.

Why?

OFP2 will use a recent Engine

Arma2 will use a VERY OLD engine... the same of OFP... and Arma...

We read of new features in Arma2... but they are joking us... because the old and bugged engine is the same...

The best move of BIS must be to create a new engine! But they want to earn other money from us, before create a new engine...

But OFP2 will be released before Arma2 and if it will be realistic like OFP/Arma series... Arma2 will be a flop...

The reborn of BIS will be with Game2... if it will exist...

Posting this from here.

Well now sir, we haven't seen anything but target shots from the OFP2 devs, big empty words but nothing real, on the other hand we have seen news from ArmA2 and footage and the devs are keeping us updated with what's happening, what's being improved, how it's being improved, they are taking notes of the suggestions and if possible implementing them(I hope the one stance for all animations have been changed).

Most games so far have been made on updated engines, or at least partially upgraded engines of previous versions of the game(talking about part 2 of games). Contrary to your thinking, game engines aren't easy to code and are becoming ever harder to code, so making a new engine that will work flawlessly is just not possible in a short time frame, it takes a large team, a lot of money and time and a whole lot of effort. It's easier to redo the parts of the engine that are becoming outdated.

As it stands right now, OFP2 will not be released in 2008, unless they have a wizard on their team, or coding slaves that don't sleep, eat or drink. I have my fair share of doubts if OFP2 is actually being developed actively or was it just a huff and puff to get some media attention.

And to the article and a few points pointed out on ofp2.info.

Quote[/b] ]● There is no health bar

● If you get hit, you will bleed and won't be able to aim and shoot precisely (like in OFP)

● Only a medic can heal you

● Every air and land vehicle has been created as realistic as possible with appropriate sounds

● There will be detailled vehicle damages and dirtiness (like in Colin McRae: Dirt)

● The most realistic ai can be influenced by fear and enthusiasm and develope own tactics

What else was expected? Still no real game shots. Nothing has been shown that could indicate actual gameplay. They're just blowing smoke around. Again. The points that were weeded out are expected and nothing special. Seems that only a medic can heal you is a big enough thing to get pointed out. Same with no health bar. Since when has the no health bar pointed out realism?

I'm sure they'll give us all a huge update on the game some time and rouse a lot of interest that way. I agree, though it will not be out in 2008, unless the huge team they have are making the development time much shorter.

Another thing: In PC Zone (UK magazine) OFP2 is mentioned in a Race Driver: Grid article. It says tanks were shown and that OFP2 will include the same damage system as Grid, complete with dynamic crumpling and destruction of vehicles (and perhaps buildings?).

They say they want it as realistic as possible, but somehow i have the feeling that by that sentence they mean:"as realistic as possible to the point the mainstream audience will still buy it" wich means simplification.

As soon as i hear the words "streamlining" or "making things more accessible" i know enough. They've done it to both Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six and raped the entire franchises that way.

They say they want it as realistic as possible, but somehow i have the feeling that by that sentence they mean:"as realistic as possible to the point the mainstream audience will still buy it" wich means simplification.

As soon as i hear the words "streamlining" or "making things more accessible" i know enough. They've done it to both Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six and raped the entire franchises that way.

Yea, CoD, RS, Ghost Recon. These are all called realistic... But they aren't, not by a long shot.

I even heard Need for Speed Most Wanted called realistic... So them using that word hasn't eased my fears one bit...

If OFP2 is to OFP as Colin McRae DiRT is to Colin McRae Rally then the game will be BF2...

well i was never serious that codemasters could deliver a true sequel to ofp not without bis biggrin_o.gif

anyone that thought so well sorry for you guys..

I blame simplification and unoriginality of games on the consoles. Whenever I hear that a game is going to be release on the PC AND on a console I get a twitch because I know the game is going to be dumbed down so the people who can't handle a PC(is it that hard? driving a car is harder) can play it too.

Thanks for the effort, but they're definitely not new :/

Besides from not being screenshots, but edited renders whistle.gif

Thanks for the effort, but they're definitely not new :/

o.O The news site told me they were new... sorry ^^

I figured I'd post this here for some of you that may not frequent the Codies forum:

Quote[/b] ]EGOâ„¢ Engine - Exclusive Community Q&A session

Hi everyone,

We realise that there is currently a lot of interest in the EGOâ„¢ engine that will be powering Operation Flashpoint 2, and in order to answer some of your questions we've managed to line up an exclusive Community Q&A session with the development team!

If you want to get involved just submit your question in the thread below, and we'll send over the pick of the bunch to the dev team to be answered.

Please note however, that the dev team will only be answering questions specific to the EGO engine and it's use in Operation Flashpoint 2, and will not be able to answer any questions regarding game features at this point. This thread will be closed at 12pm GMT on March 21st, so if you have a question to ask make sure you get it in before then.

Let the questions begin!!!

You can find the thread HERE.

Quote[/b] ]The game will use a new FPS variant of Neon technology

FPS!! hum! this annoys me. a FPS can't be a simulation, i mean a real simulation. For example, Arma is not really a FPS.

the future will tell us how , how ofp2 will be ultimately

Technically FPS can mean from the first-person view, so not limit the game's realism at all. I do think that anything with the traditional "floating camera" FPS viewpoint (e.g. HL2, Crysis, BF2 etc.) has limitations when it comes to realism, at least the way they are now. In ArmA, where you see your rifle is where your enemy sees your rifle; where your feet are to you is where they are to your enemy.

I also suspect that is old information, since it's the EGO engine that will be used, and the Neon is a previous iteration of it.

But honestly- watch this:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_23761.shtml

...Really impressive gameplay video of GRID, which uses the same engine as OFP2. If it looks anything like that I'll be very pleased.

Both old in the sense that they were scanned from an article but new as actual renders released digitally.

I wonder when there will be real ingame screenshots, not those successive staged, photoshopped and renders ones that tell nothing at all about that game.

And what exactly are those troops in all those renders ? other than the usual m4/m16 variations, i don't recognize the camos (it seems a mix of some bizarre variant of multicam with some part of acu colored in green and some other unidentified leafs)

Indeed sanctuary is right , with the photoshopped image you cannot even know if the troops have MARPAT or ACU or some mix of both.