Sign in to follow this  
Shadow NX

RHS Hind v1.0 for ArmA

Hi, well Shadow... youre "spanisch" seems much better than my

"germen", but if i get to write more than 2 words in spanish... im

sure that i'll be permanently banned from this forums. And that will

be a big loose overall for me. Let's C ya

Well i guess these colourful boxes under the name come from things like that discussion tounge2.gif

And now back on topic please.

This has been changed.  I would say its now on par with a BIS helo and the weight to speed ratio feels more correct.  

For those anxious to pick apart every detail of the RHS - AToW Modified Hind, Id like to give a few more technical details on some of the changes.  Of course it may all change once I re-submit the Hind back to RHS and ShadowNX for any future release.    biggrin_o.gif

From what ive been told by the modder Im working with on this model, the armor ratings on the body, engine, main rotor and tail rotor have all been set slightly higher than the Cobra's.  Meaning it can take more small arms fire, without blinking.  One example was the Cobra has a body armor rating of 60.  We set the Hind to 65.  We tried higher, but it took 3 full reloads from a Humvee .50cal to damage the Hind.  That seemed a bit much, when you compare it to all the other helo's in the game.  

Now, sustained ground fire will cause a fuel leak and could kill the engine.  A direct blast from the Cobra's nose canon will knock out the rotor.  In other words, its still a pretty tough bird.  But you can't just hit auto hover above your enemy and fire away.  You'll be dead.  

Improvements since MY VIDEO went up are things such as;

* Small black compass on the the top of the pilots cockpit frame that used to be stuck on South, now is working.  

* The Attitude gauge (horizon gauge) was accidentally reversed in the vid.  Got it fixed.

* On the pilots console, the Air speed, Altitude and a couple other of the small gauges are now working also.  

* We put the original 12.7mm nose canon back on.  But changed it from the weak buck-shot type pattern to a more focused and damaging fire pattern.  Its lethal!  

* Ru!ner, the modder, is working on cockpit glass that is a bit like the Cobra's.  It can take a couple rounds to protect the pilot longer.  (He said it will take him some work though, but he's good)  tounge2.gif

* As mentioned, armor ratings on rotors and engine were increased for MP game durability.

Yeah guys nonbulletproof cockpit on the hind and the cobra's like armor level is very very "realistic"  whistle.gif

Keep moding... rofl.gif

One example was the Cobra has a body armor rating of 60.  We set the Hind to 65.  

It must be some kind of stupid joke??

Are you know a other name of Mi-24? In Russia, its named "Flying Tank". Did you know - why?

For example

Quote[/b] ]The body is heavily armored and the titanium rotor blades can resist impacts from .50 caliber (12.7 mm) rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-24

Mi-24 - is most armored and one of most fast helicopters in the world.

In RHS version - it has already lower armor, than reality. You trying to less it more. Read a manuals and characteristics of this helicopter, before making a stupid "improvements"

Yes, i understand - you want easy game. One shot - one helicopter. smile_o.gif You can speak "these Russian constantly speak that their weapon - the best". Yes, we speak. Because we are not able to say lies and think out a fairy tale.

Dont judge them to hard. They have explained that they are doing it for their gameplay and thats the way they like to have their game. Nothing wrong with that.

They will also give their job back to RHS, as I understand it, so maybe the RHS version will have the armour up and so on?

Anyway its only a config-number so it can be overwritten if anyone want to have it more realistic.

I'm very happy for all they have done, a good list of improvements.

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The body is heavily armored and the titanium rotor blades can resist impacts from .50 caliber (12.7 mm) rounds.

It means the rotor b;lade will not shatter after one .50 cal hit. Which is quite a standart with many choppers tooday.

Despite the supposed "heavy" armour the hind can be brought down easilly with Stinger missiles, which have a small frag warhead.

Choppers and crafts in general are built fail-safe, and not bulletproof.

Armour can be used to protect the crew and cargo, but apart from that it wouild make the craft too heavy.

Quote[/b] ]The cockpit was heavily armoured and could withstand even .50 caliber (12.7 mm) rounds, but the tail is extremely vulnerable to even small arms fire due to the lack of armour in that section.

So in short: they used armour for crew compartment and doubled, maybe trippled some vital systems, but it is not an armoured craft. It's got two engines so you can loose one and still fly. So it's pretty much like US Apache.

Dont judge them to hard. They have explained that they are doing it for their gameplay and thats the way they like to have their game. Nothing wrong with that.

Sure smile_o.gif

But dont speak "reality" about this version smile_o.gif

@ Feb. 28 2008,13:04)]Despite the supposed "heavy" armour the hind can be brought down easilly with Stinger missiles, which have a small frag warhead.

Choppers and crafts in general are built fail-safe, and not bulletproof.

Armour can be used to protect the crew and cargo, but apart from that it wouild make the craft too heavy.

Man, i can tell many stories about Chechen and Afgan wars with this helicopters, but its too hard for me, becouse i'm not native english speaker.

I wanna say one thing, last discussion here is about a modified version they use for their MP games but its

not the RHS version.

When i get this version we will alter it, for example it will have the heavily amored cockpit that the hind has.

The Armor will also be high, kinda like in the currently availeable version, so one stinger hit will not always bring it down.

However the AA fire from things like the Vulcan in ArmA is so deadly that even heavy armored Helicopters go down in seconds sad_o.gif

Odd damage system.

smile_o.gif this is the way

choosing from two version so all are happy

nice to hear this.

I must report some problem with RHS units, there are some fix for these in the future, I know this is not the units post, but I ask here, now I leave all the addons and send u an rpt with only RHS units.

There are same ST problem with weapon, and some minor rpt warning.

I really like your works, and I really hope to see soon, these really nice stuff, fixed for use in MP missions smile_o.gif

THANK YOU!

Thanks, that sure will be usefull even if im not sure if we will be able to remodel it much.

wow, guys i just wanted it to be "faster" biggrin_o.gif

honestly, for my part, i dont care if its "exactly" realistic and all that. however i like realistic but unfortunately flashpoint as arma have verry sloppy implemented fighting vehicles(cars are ok) and they are allready "balanced" by BIS. its not like they have totaly realistic capabilities. that said, BIS made a great effort to balance this balance so the results when fighting with each vehicle work out to look not too odd.

so if you add an hyper realistic addon to the BIS gear you end up with eather a too good or too bad reasult in performance, but it wont fit to BIS stuff.

so the cobra=60 hind=65 fix sounds good for me. if you do the "flying tank" you cant use the addon in most missions as it would probably the only thing oyu would need thatn to compleat the mission.

after all i really hope to get a updated Hind version soon. its already fun to fly the 1.0 hind, but new version will be better smile_o.gif

PS; maybe the funky landing gear wich is constatnly opening and closing could be made like in  a plane where you can do that manually. this would fix every unnessersary activation of the gear.

many thanks for that addon, you are doing a great job in my view.

@ShadowNX - did you get the pbo file from the PM I sent you alright?

To those who are crying about all the real world facts they looked up about the Hind:

Im all for realism to the letter also. But at the end of the day, its a game. If it were 100% real, Cobra's would never have to fly over a Shilka. It would sit at the other end of the island and launch hellfires, killing the targets.

To help some understand why we changed some of the things we did, I invite you to sign up in the Theatre of War tourny (arma-tow.com). Then you'll understand completely. Players play to have fun. Its not fun for guys who play as infantry grunts to just be pounded constantly by indestructible helos. There had to be some give & take for game balance. Anyhow, stop by, check it out and i think you'll appreciate it a bit more.

Anyhow, RHS now has the pbo work we've done back in their hands. Im happy we at AToW could contribute to the ArmA community by improving a very popular mod. I look forward to whatever RHS does with the Hind when its Re-released.

See everyone on the battlefield! pistols.gif

Cant remember a pbo in a Pm, please resend it, thanks in advance.

Thanks RHS along with RF V2.0 I love this addon always liked the Hind (brings back memories of being alone in a forest in Everon with one flying over the trees all the time) and it works great if your flying but a realproblem for me is the AI functionality.  

The AI wont fire on infantry with main gun or FFARs and actually doesnt use FFARs at all.  They lineup and make a low pass but just never fire.  If they fire on a vehicle with main gun its very ineffective.  Ive seen a few things like this on this topic but it gets dismissed quite quickly with people saying that it works fine for them. Does anyone know what could help.  Arma Ver 1.08,  Tryed all variants,  Shot at them with machinegun,  they also just run/fly away from cobras i.e keep a dist of approx 2000m.

Hind 1.0 is working fine on 1.09beta. They fire on infantry...

I hope this gets updated, soon. I took a look at the ArmA.rpt file to try to figure out what was causing the "burst/ is a not a valid classname" type error and saw how many bugs it is generating, so I deleted the addon, hoping for better.

Is there another Hind addon that people are using, meanwhile?

Anybody remember which script is responsible for huge FPS drop after Mi-24 gets destroyed? huh.gif

I hope this gets updated, soon. I took a look at the ArmA.rpt file to try to figure out what was causing the "burst/ is a not a valid classname" type error and saw how many bugs it is generating, so I deleted the addon, hoping for better.

Hello guys,

I had an error today while testing my Evolution Red version in which I put the RHS Hind : <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">'burst/' is not a class ('displayName' accessed)

My questions are :

1) Is this a problem coming from the 1.14 patch ? (cause I hadn't this under 1.08 patch).

2) Is RHS team working on a fix ?

Thanks in advance. smile_o.gif

Frantz @ June 03 2008,18:23)]
I hope this gets updated, soon.  I took a look at the ArmA.rpt file to try to figure out what was causing the "burst/ is a not a valid classname" type error and saw how many bugs it is generating, so I deleted the addon, hoping for better.

Hello guys,

I had an error today while testing my Evolution Red version in which I put the RHS Hind : <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">'burst/' is not a class ('displayName' accessed)

My questions are :

1) Is this a problem coming from the 1.14 patch ? (cause I hadn't this under 1.08 patch).

2) Is RHS team working on a fix ?

Thanks in advance. smile_o.gif

I also have that same problem:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">'burst/' is not a class ('displayName' accessed)

I noticed this after playing with RHS Hind in version 1.14 of ArmA.

I would also like to ask if there's a solution for this problem or if a solution is being worked on?

Thanks in advance for replies.

@Hamis

the above links dont seem to work unless you pay banghead.gif

No, it's free if you download under "free account".

Surely they work,you have to select free account(right,with turtle picture). wink_o.gif

yes of course i click on the Turtle which of course is the free account but it dont do anything..... banghead.gif