Sign in to follow this  
mechastalin

BMD-1 Released!

A great addon indeed.

Since i´ll mostly use it for photoshooting teh waypoint bug doesn´t bother me.

But how can i change the camo to the green´ish one as seen in A&M:D thread?

Already downloaded the OFP version to rip off textures but pbox is giving me a hard time because it doesn´t preview the textures in ArmA addons.

Also it seems that the textures i want are already included in MechaStalins .pbo huh.gif

A great addon indeed.

Since i´ll mostly use it for photoshooting teh waypoint bug doesn´t bother me.

But how can i change the camo to the green´ish one as seen in A&M:D thread?

Already downloaded the OFP version to rip off textures but pbox is giving me a hard time because it doesn´t preview the textures in ArmA addons.

Also it seems that the textures i want are already included in MechaStalins .pbo huh.gif

you can use txtpathswap.exe to edit the side_g, turret_g, etc to point to the turret_c and so forth.

Quote[/b] ]

what's up with the tracks actually?

seems the alpha map does not work right in ArmA, and the texture looks compressed compared to the one i made... @mechastalin: did you use the wrong texture provided in the imuc_data.pbo maybe? no problems with the anims speed of the tracks with this texture applied?

@vulture2k1 - this texture bug stems from the fact that i forgot to map the axes, simple as that nener.gifwink_o.gif

that rotating-on-spot bug is most likely caused by the axis in the mem lod for the main gun recoil. in case the gun recoil script is not used in this ArmA addon, mechastalin could as well remove the rotation axis.

in other respects i'm very impressed by the looks of it in ArmA... and glad the addon is of any use at all now that virtually everyone stopped playing ofp wink_o.gif

I swapped over to the default BMP-2 track texture so I could apply normal maps etc but didnt get around to it in this version.

btw any chance of making other versions like different support versions like medic version and maybe a version for the independent or res side. smile_o.gif

I forgot to ask: Any chance we see the other BMDs or more?

We need a APC Pack again like in OFP :X BMP1-3, BMD1-4, BTR50-90 biggrin_o.gif

Oh... and you made some pioneering things with the vehicle. The Alpha maps and self shading and so on. Will you also try to add the front mguns on the BMD? As a 2. and 3. turret.

So far so good, but does not work...

AI cannot drive BMD at all. Just try setting some waypoints and notice the speed that is lesser than walking speed under AI control. Perhaps something to do with the fact that driver cannot see outside at all in default mode. Can you make it so that the driver's position is the same than in BMP2 for example? Might work better that way.

Sealing the Roof mission is broken too. BMDs just start rotating in place and never actually go anywhere   goodnight.gif

A very nice add-on. Thanks for all your effort!

As things are going I foresee some exceptionally nice work once BIS get their finger out and release the tools smile_o.gif

It is a great effort indeed. Great work. I have said this before, those who work on ARMA be it scripting, modding and more increases our fun for this game. thumbs-up.gif

Is it configured properly ? i.e what parts of the model are configured to move ? (tracks,turret etc )

biggrin_o.gif finaly something for the East. does any body know how big this game can be whit all those addons lol(me thinks bigest) whistle.gif

Is it configured properly ? i.e what parts of the model are configured to move ? (tracks,turret etc )

Everything works as it should.

No, the cannon shoots out fluffy bunnies and when you want to go forward the teletubbies theme plays and midgets start dancing around the APC.

I think it's a bug. Or it might be the shrooms.

Don't know about teletubbies or mushrooms, but -->

- Reaching a waypoint makes BMD to go into endless loop of rotating in place.

- Crew is invulnerable to all fire. They look as if exposed, but cannot be harmed in any way (just place a BMD in careless mode and take a few shots at them too see this). You can destroy the vehicle normally, but cannot harm individual crew members.

- Vehicle is perhaps too resistant to damage compared to M113, BMB-2 etc I tested this firing various weapons at point blank range to the side (including artillery). AT-rockets kill it with one hit. Taking in to account that it is a light weight airborne AFV.

- There currently are no wreck textures for BMD

- AI cannot drive BMD (except for very very slow speed)

- In the default mode driver cannot even see outside

Under human control it seems to work ok. Considering that this was done without any proper tools it is very nice work.

Don't know about teletubbies or mushrooms, but -->

- Reaching a waypoint makes BMD to go into endless loop of rotating in place.

- Crew is invulnerable to all fire. They look as if exposed, but cannot be harmed in any way (just place a BMD in careless mode and take a few shots at them too see this). You can destroy the vehicle normally, but cannot harm individual crew members.

- Vehicle is perhaps too resistant to damage compared to M113, BMB-2 etc I tested this firing various weapons at point blank range to the side (including artillery). AT-rockets kill it with one hit. Taking in to account that it is a light weight airborne AFV.

- There currently are no wreck textures for BMD

- AI cannot drive BMD (except for very very slow speed)

- In the default mode driver cannot even see outside

Under human control it seems to work ok. Considering that this was done without any proper tools it is very nice work.

I'm working on fixing some of this stuff now. Just taking a bit of a break and busy with some other projects.

I'll look into it's armor values, I only really tested with RPGs and the cannon from another BMD, I'm not sure whats causing the crew to be safe when turned out though. Wreck textures are made but neither I nor GranQ could figure them out. I included the default driver view because a lot of people wanted interiors in their armor, even if it's pretty much useless.

Also if anybody knows a good para-drop script for vehicles in ArmA please point me to it. Although it would be excellent if somebody could point me to one that allowed it to be carried by helicopter as well.

oh of course we do know.. you forgot we added damaged textures to the BTR 80? wink_o.gif

EDIT. the crew is either config (crewVulnerable = true; ) or firelod, most likely the firelod.

Perhaps it is textures of the driver's position that cause

AI dirving issues??? It is totally different than in other AFVs.

Notice also in how strange angles the default camera postions are if you follow up a BMD with a TroopMon. Maybe this is part of the movement problem, maybe not. I currently do not know how exactly AI moves vehicles around.

But I throw in a rough quess that everything is moved as a single group and everything else that is happening is based on this movement.

Spinning on waypoints has been fixed with some help from RHS's Kenji.

Edit: This also fixed the problem when viewing it through the playable menu. Armor values are also better now but still not as weak as they should be using the BMP-2 as reference.

Have you tested if AI can now drive any faster? BTR80 has weak armor. Perhaps it could be used as a reference.

It was really a nerve cracking experience trying to command a BMD while AI was doing the driving.

After testing it seems that AI has problems with all vehicles from which there is no way to immediately see outside. BMD cannot drive, ATGM Stryker will not fire etc.

Perhaps it would be better to make functional vehicles for scenario designer's sake rather than sacrifice AI operations for some odd texture arrangements which only look pretty.

You can test the difference by placing one BRDM with ATGM against three ATGM Strykers (all under AI control). Watch the fire works as Strykers get blown to pieces time after time. BRDM crew can even have a lunch break and not to worry about return shots rofl.gif

All this has started me wonder about the design philosophy behind ArmA, it seems that you as you get one thing patched up three new issues are discovered. As if all was put together in add-hoc or unique manner for each vehicle and unit in the game. Or how do you explain that there are different bugs for SLA and BLUE infantry for example...

After testing it seems that AI has problems with all vehicles from which there is no way to immediately see outside. BMD cannot drive, ATGM Stryker will not fire etc.

Perhaps it would be better to make functional vehicles for scenario designer's sake rather than sacrifice AI operations for some odd texture arrangements which only look pretty.

You can test the difference by placing one BRDM with ATGM against three ATGM Strykers (all under AI control). Watch the fire works as Strykers get blown to pieces time after time. BRDM crew can even have a lunch break and not to worry about return shots rofl.gif

All this has started me wonder about the design philosophy behind ArmA, it seems that you as you get one thing patched up three new issues are discovered. As if all was put together in add-hoc or unique manner for each vehicle and unit in the game. Or how do you explain that there are different bugs for SLA and BLUE infantry for example...

Although units dont physically look out the windows, there is a value in a config defined showing the units field of view. Regardless to say the BMD was fixed and it wasnt due to that so it's probably having to do with those vision values.

This is not to say that is your fault as an add-on maker. Infact it makes things a lot harder. The way the basic game works is very random at times. So far I designed three scenarios with the mission editor in two of them ran into issues of units not behaving the way they should.

And by this I mean basic stuff like driving, targeting, firing etc.

I don't expect AI to shine, but to carry on basic stuff.

This is bit off topic, but since it is related to vehicles and AI stuff I just add it here. It seems that unless someone else is doing the spotting the ATGM Stryker is almost blind?huh.gif

And by the accident I encountered more odd stuff.  Sometimes if a Styker fires an ATGM at BRDM's rear the missile is deflected just prior to impact as if the BRDM was protected by an invisible force field. Missile just goes by following vehicle's countour and explodes after it hits the ground.

According to the BugTracker ATGM Stryker will be fixed in 1.06

Quote[/b] ]Regardless to say the BMD was fixed and it wasnt due to that so it's probably having to do with those vision values.

Is the new version of BMD available already? At least the Armaholic has the old one.

Quote[/b] ]Regardless to say the BMD was fixed and it wasnt due to that so it's probably having to do with those vision values.

Is the new version of BMD available already? At least the Armaholic has the old one.

It's not out yet, but I'll try and have it out soon.

Does anybody know how to set up the hatches for animation? The new version should be out pretty soon, I'm adding a new mission to come with it too.