Sign in to follow this  
mechastalin

BMD-1 Released!

MechaStalin, what about your old OFP creations: BRDM with AT-3 and AT-5, are you going to re-make those for ArmA? I loved those things in OFP, so I was hoping to see them here too.

I guess, he means the BRDM1.

ahh, ofcourse....

the wheeled shoe :P (i think it looks like a shoe) wink_o.gif

MechaStalin, what about your old OFP creations: BRDM with AT-3 and AT-5, are you going to re-make those for ArmA? I loved those things in OFP, so I was hoping to see them here too.

I might do some variants once the default models are editable. I'd also like to do a Polish BRDM-2 variant I saw that had 4 AT-5s, an AGS grenade launcher, and a PKT on the turret.

I fixed the firelods in BMD. Plus the AI driving speed.

You can now kill the exposed crew.

I'm battling with the AI driving issue with the waypoints. It is proven to be one real pain on the back side.

Its not a config issue its a model one.

The problem is in the land contact lod afaik... it just sits too low so the vehicle tries to reach it but cant, Mecha knows about it and next version he releases has it fixed i think.

That´s what i thought since config adjusting won't cure it. But

lods are ok, plus I changed the driver's position so that in the default mode one now sees outside. Did not like having to always stare at the wall as a first option.

Quote[/b] ]The problem is in the land contact lod afaik...

Nope. Something is else is missing, misaligned or not defined.

Have to compare BMD to the other vehicle data in the game thus finding out what is not right.

Ground contact only determies where the vehicle is located related to ground surface.

EDIT: Tried several things. No luck so far... now the vehicle goes faster for a moment if I shoot the driver as if it was trying to make up the distance it lost due to driving too slow. Oh and the legs of the dead driver come through the front since the model is much smaller than BMP-2.

Quote[/b] ]The problem is in the land contact lod afaik...

Nope. Something is else is missing, misaligned or not defined.

Have to compare BMD to the other vehicle data in the game thus finding out what is not right.

Ground contact only determies where the vehicle is located related to ground surface.

EDIT: Tried several things. No luck so far... now the vehicle goes faster for a moment if I shoot the driver as if it was trying to make up the distance it lost due to driving too slow. Oh and the legs of the dead driver come through the front since the model is much smaller than BMP-2.

The problem with the waypoints was due to the gun recoil axis. How did you fix the unkillable exposed crew?

That's really simple I just made minor fixes to the firelod. Takes about 5 seconds to complete. Do you wan't the fixed file?

But there is now a minor problem with the dead driver. His feet stick out through the lower front armor plate, since the position was made for a larger vehicle. If you move driver's position initially higher and backwards to compensate this then he levitates in mid-air during driving. Have to go through if there is a more suitable crew animation, since the current one does not work for BMD-1.

But tell me how exactly did you fix the driving issue? It was really driving me mad yesterday crazy_o.gif

Well I can give it go since I know now where the problem is.

EDIT: -> Yep the recoil was located about a kilomike outside the model tounge2.gif

Most importantly it works. No more spinning, slow driving speed and the crew can be killed. Now just those animation configs and it is good to go! Mecha I can give you the modified model. I think I'll keep my own configs due to changes made to driver's default view etc.

The Peoples Comissariat of the North Saharani is proud to announce that:

Testing of the improved BMD-1 is completed.

Everything works now as expected. Let's call this

BMD 1.1 or BMD 1.0i improved biggrin_o.gif

(It still has the minor issue of the dead crew members' boots sticking through the floor, but this has no game effect at all, so it is purely a minor aesthetic problem).

All in-game functionality is thus restored and fixed smile_o.gif

Missions work ok also with the corrected model. Looking for a place to put this file.

I only made fixes to the model. So all other credits for creating BMD and missions are as with 1.0 version. You can call me a field engineer or something...

Should I release the fixed vehicle as a stand alone file or do a re-pack with the original missions? (Mecha seems to be off-line).

Missions work ok also with the corrected model. Looking for a place to put this file.

I only made fixes to the model. So all other credits for creating BMD and missions are as with 1.0 version. You can call me a field engineer or something...

Should I release the fixed vehicle as a stand alone file or do a re-pack with the original missions? (Mecha seems to be off-line).

Put the model up on yousendit.com or somewhere like that. I'll put it in with my updated configs, fix the hatches and finish up the mission I'm finalizing now.

Well actually I was myself considering of using Vilas weapon configs since AI currently fires only AT-missiles at any possible target.

But if you got that already covered then all the better.

btw why did you separate configs into so many files?

Well actually I was myself considering of using Vilas weapon configs since AI currently fires only AT-missiles at any possible target.

But if you got that already covered then all the better.

btw why did you separate configs into so many files?

Just the way I got the original configs from GranQ.

There seems to be a mistake at least in the ammo and weapon configs for the gun. In the configs there is an entry for sabot, but the only defined shell types are HE and HEAT.

Have to go through all configs.

EDIT: Fixed ammo loads. BMD now engages AFVs with missiles, soft vehicles with main gun and infantry and aircraft with MG.

It is still much more passive than BMD-2 with co-axial vs, infantry. Have to keep on pushing till I get it right.

There seems to be a mistake at least in the ammo and weapon configs for the gun. In the configs there is an entry for sabot, but the only defined shell types are HE and HEAT.

Have to go through all configs.

EDIT: Fixed ammo loads. BMD now engages AFVs with missiles, soft vehicles with main gun and infantry and aircraft with MG.

It is still much more passive than BMD-2 with co-axial vs, infantry. Have to keep on pushing till I get it right.

Nice work, the configs I used as base had SABOT and I just reworked the SABOT to be HEAT, I really should have changed that. Send me your config changes once you're done and I'll merge them in with mine.

I quess I'll have to go through the two main config files tonight and write a new one from the scratch.

If that does not cure the MG problems (as I guess that it won't) then there is still some problem with the model itself.

Currently BMD fires MG only if targets are moving within few meters. It aims at targets but just won't fire, whereas BMP-2 cuts through infantry targets easily. I even changed MG weapon type to make sure that issue was not with the BIS PKT.

EDIT: I think I located the problem. It was in the configs. At least first test looks promising. AI even fires the main gun at infantry occasionally now biggrin_o.gif

A couple of more tests and I think we have a green light with this baby!

Since I got the basic pbo-stuff pretty much figured out by now, it is also a good moment to announce a first add-on project of mine:

Soviet Afganistan BMD-2 (might be a 90's surplus import to Saharani).