Sign in to follow this  
mechastalin

BMD-1 Released!

Excellent, It's pretty much ready to go once we have the configs.

Edit: How do I define the hatch animations exactly?

Will we get the rest of the BMD family too?

The good thing is, if you make a BMD3 you can do a BMP3 without creating the turret again xD

And will you try to implement the bow mgs? :X Would be nice. First step to Tiger tanks xD

I would say that BMGs can be done. Just look at the AA machine guns of MBTs. The same principle.

Will we get the rest of the BMD family too?

The good thing is, if you make a BMD3 you can do a BMP3 without creating the turret again xD

And will you try to implement the bow mgs? :X Would be nice. First step to Tiger tanks xD

BMD-2 would be quite simple as it shares the same hull and I believe FDF mod made a BMD-2 that may even use the same hull model as this one. If not I can just use their turret on this hull and maybe even the same deal for a BMD-1P, if I get permission of course.

I've considered hull MGs but I don't have much idea how to define multiple ones. If I get some help I may allow the front two men to operate a simulated RPK or whatever. But if I don't have them on the BMD I'd like to to do a BTR-Z which has no main armament so firing ports would be essential.

Kenji could help you there, he has nearly all BMD variants modelled including the Z

I think the guys from BWMod or DDAM can help you, i even thought there was an article about multiple gunner stations in the Biki, but i do not find it x_X

Kenji could help you there, he has nearly all BMD variants modelled including the Z

Really? Excellent. He had already sent me the Z model but I did not know he had a BMD-2 modelled.

Also I managed to set the second turret for the firing port working sort of. It fires but its optic it stuck looking wherever the main gunner is looking and the gun cannot rotate or elevate.

Don't forget the BTR-D variants wink_o.gif

Ahh, thats what I meant when I said Z. I always get them confused.

Been testing and the PKT performance still keeps haunting me.

Compared to BTR or BMP-2 it engages lazily and at much shorter distances.

Maybe I'm chasing ghosts here. Maybe it is about the ArmA engine? BTR is a Car and BMP-2 has three man crew. But could that explain the difference?

Even if I remove all HMG ammo from a BTR-80 it still beats clearly a BMD in MG performance. Any good ideas welcome...

I rest my case. BMD fires MG but not as furiously as it should. Cannot find any logical explanation from configs nor from the model. AT guys will have easy time against this vehicle if AI mans the turret.

I've been checking and double checking so many times that

I'm becoming blind to this matter. About 100 trials with different settings and model alterations, but performance is the same.

You still want the config? Vehicle drives and fights ok.

Had lots of fun watching four BMDs fighting against a M1A1.

EDIT: In the newest version the missile flies from it's place, not form the gun tube.

Don't forget the BTR-D variants  wink_o.gif

Ahh, thats what I meant when I said Z. I always get them confused.

What about the BTR-T? I remember enjoying Joe Lemonade's aka Sebastian Müller's BTR-T, especially the railgun version! biggrin_o.gif

I rest my case. BMD fires MG but not as furiously as it should. Cannot find any logical explanation from configs nor from the model. AT guys will have easy time against this vehicle if AI mans the turret.

I've been checking and double checking so many times that

I'm becoming blind to this matter. About 100 trials with different settings and model alterations, but performance is the same.

You still want the config? Vehicle drives and fights ok.

Had lots of fun watching four BMDs fighting against a M1A1.

EDIT: In the newest version the missile flies from it's place, not form the gun tube.

Very strange, might have to do with the commander. But the configs should be fine for now. Send them to me.

Also Kenji sent me his BMD-2 model and I put his turret on the IM:UC hull and have it ingame. Just need to texture the turret and alter classnames etc.

BMD2.jpg

Damn that this is annoying - used TroopMon to follow BMD and yes it aims ok and picks infantry targets ok, but why oh why it fails to fire co-axial most of the time?!?!?!?!?

If there are any vehicles or air units firing starts immediately as it should. It makes no difference which MG I give to BMD. It just aims and fires now and then (at infantry). Most of the times it doesn't. banghead.gif

Something with the model, something with the crew place configs, something with turret configs or a combination of the above... a kingdom from a solution!

SLA's armor training unit has made extensive anti-infantry firing tests with BMDs using various weapon configurations. (A lot of virtual people were harmed). Results:

- MGs and autocannons - very short range, very little fire

- HE shells only - continous fire untill enemy is destroyed

- HEAT shells only - no fire

- HEAT and HE - no fire

- Normal weapon load (76mm HEAT and HE plus PKT), limited fire with MG only

- ATGMs - get fired at almost all targets from soft to hard

Obviously multiple gun rounds confuse AI somehow (cannot select HE rounds anymore for infantry targets?).

Automatic weapon performance for some reason is abysmal with BMD at the moment. Unless this is resolved there is little or no hope for BMD-2 under AI control.

One temporary solution would be to give BMD-1 only one type of 76 mm round which compromises HE and HEAT performance. This would result in direct 76mm fire against enemy infantry and vehicles. PKT is more or less an ornament and curiosity at the moment.

Quote[/b] ]Someone must find a solution for this... BIS?

Since this is an add-on. It might still be something in the model or configs. But pattern is similar that we had with helos.

Only differences I have found to the working vehicles:

- BTR has Stryker base

- BMP-2 has three-man crew (BMD has two)

- Vilas defined Bradleys as tanks, (if I remember correctly)

BMD configs have class referencess to BMP-2

EDIT: At least for now I'm going for the combined HE/HEAT for personal use. Under human control vehicle works OK. And BMP-2 belongs to tank vehicle class.

Only thing I haven't been suspecting/looking are the skeletons. But how could they hamper MG/autocannon performance?

EDIT2: I'll just check a couple of things and pass on the files tomorrow.

Looks nice. Still unable to resolve the problem with automatic weapons. For example 30mm cannon in a BMD has enagagement range of 1/3-1/4 of what it is with BMP-2. crazy_o.gif

I think that it must be the missing commander/commander postion, since nothing I try seems to cure this problem.

If this is the case then modding gets ten times harder. It means that unless the new addon resembles very closely to something that is already in game, there are going to be a lot of unwanted side effects.

There are no problems for human players although. The above applies only for AI.

Vehicle class has no effect on BMD's performance. Have been changing it to M113, APC, T72 etc.

I also noticed that AI undershoots with the main gun. Shells fall always a bit too short. Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: the main gun not firing at infantry if there are multiple ammo types available is AI related (common to all tanks) and thus cannot be fixed with configs. Must live with it at the moment.

Any news on the new configs? I'd like to try and get a semi-working version out.

Been testing and trying stuff, but AI is just lazy with weapons compared to other vehicles. Configs are ok. So humans have no trouble of operating the vehicle.

I'm suspecting that although the set up works, something in the bones structure or configs is "non-standard" and therefore AI has trouble with weapons.

Any luck with damaged textures?

Been testing and trying stuff, but AI is just lazy with weapons compared to other vehicles. Configs are ok. So humans have no trouble of operating the vehicle.

I'm suspecting that although the set up works, something in the bones structure or configs is "non-standard" and therefore AI has trouble with weapons.

Any luck with damaged textures?

I touched on them a bit but not much.

Expect V1.5 done soon. If I don't get the new configs I'll release the updated version without them as it's been too long to wait to fix some major bugs.