Sign in to follow this  
mechastalin

BMD-1 Released!

Quote[/b] ]Impossible to use on existing OFP models, mate. Not impossible full stop.

Everything is pretty much they way you design it to be. (Engine limitations ofcourse). What make you think that it would be differently for OFP models?

What is the news on the new stuff? I'd like to get a release or prepared for a release tonight or tommorow.

And to everybody whos helped out with this if you wouldn't mind posting what you'd like to be recognized for in the readme so I don't forget anything.

I'll set it up for tonight. Just include me as a field engineer wink_o.gif

About the model swapping thing. It seemed as a perfect idea at a first glance, but then a thought occured that the new model does not inherit the turret position from the original one, so you'll end up all identical wreck positions plus some jumpy destruction sequences  sad_o.gif

You could hide this with massive destruction fx, but compared to other vehicles this would look odd.

So far I think I'll turn back and settle for the texture darkening and disappearing parts. Should be enough for players to easily tell apart a destroyed BMD-1.

Unless someone can tell me more about or I'll find more info of texture swapping for damaged vehicles pretty soon.

I'll set it up for tonight. Just include me as a field engineer wink_o.gif

About the model swapping thing. It seemed as a perfect idea at a first glance, but then a thought occured that the new model does not inherit the turret position from the original one, so you'll end up all identical wreck positions plus some jumpy destruction sequences sad_o.gif

You could hide this with massive destruction fx, but compared to other vehicles this would look odd.

So far I think I'll turn back and settle for the texture darkening and disappearing parts. Should be enough for players to easily tell apart a destroyed BMD-1.

Unless someone can tell me more about or I'll find more info of texture swapping for damaged vehicles pretty soon.

Okay, I've got some stuff I'd like to include so just email it to me. Autozam@Gmail.com or post it here or whatever.

OK. Next version is ready. Sending it to Mecha for final touches. For those of you who are either pissed off for not getting BMD-1 working after 1.07 or who are too eager for not wanting to wait the finalized version I also include a download link. This is only the 1.6 vehicle file (no missions etc. additional goodies). Changes since 1.5

- ArmA 1.07 compatible

- Working hatches

- Crew open positions moved to better match the hatches

- Gargo View bugs fixed

- Armory text enabled

- Damage effects for damaged and destroyed BMDs - so you no longer have to waste ammo on wrecks that look like intact vehicles

BMD 1.6

There will be a final release/pack after Mecha finishes his stuff.

Enjoy!

Quote[/b] ]Impossible to use on existing OFP models, mate. Not impossible full stop.

Everything is pretty much they way you design it to be. (Engine limitations ofcourse). What make you think that it would be differently for OFP models?

<sigh> I mean because at the moment, with current OPF modelling programs (Oxygen), we can't apply normal maps to the models. Those using other programs can do so, sure, but not in Oxygen.

Anyway, I'll try out v1.6 when I get home.

Quote[/b] ]New version and pretty much the definitive version unless theres something major we missed.

I agree. Time for some other projects that have been waiting.

Big thanks for everybody involved. We now have a functional ArmA vehicle addon biggrin_o.gif

Heya, Nice Release!

Tip on the Class Inheritances,

A few of your weapon classes are using the OFP format of inheriting:

class ClassName: BaseClass {};

In ArmA, class Inheritances can be done cleaner, like:

class ClassName;

Also, the way you inherit the Tank base class and the baseclasses of Tank can give problems if BIS changes values etc, my proposal would be using the following clean way:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class CfgVehicles

{

class Tank;

class Mech_BMD1Base: Tank

{

class NewTurret;

class ViewOptics;

class AnimationSources;

class HitHull;

class HitLTrack;

class HitRTrack;

class HitEngine;

class Turrets

{

class MainTurret: NewTurret

{

class HitTurret;

class HitGun;

class Turrets

{

class CommanderOptics: NewTurret

{

class ViewOptics;

class ViewGunner;

};

};

};

};

};

class Mech_BMD1: Mech_BMD1Base

{

// Etc. etc.

};

};

You can do the above with any Class inheritance you need.

Now if BIS Changes the contents of Classes, there should be no issues for your BMD1, unless they would change root class names. If you want to be 100% safe you could copy the relevant classes from your current classes in config.cpp: Land, LandVehicle, Tank etc. into the Mech_BMD1 class, this way you don't overwrite BIS classes aswell as that when BIS changes sth the chances are even smaller that your addon becomes incompatible.

Thanks for the tip. Much simpler to write configs that way, instead of:

1) a belongs to b

2) c belongs to a

EDIT: No previous OPF experience (playing or modding) wink_o.gif

Good job MechaStalin and Törni, very nice BMD addon! thumbs-up.gif

Some bugs: (?)

-Wheel suspension/amortization does not work

-BMD has BMP2 icon

e1356d0076d0.jpg

?...

ec3710bf895c.jpg

The textures and wheels were changed after I send the file to Mecha. So direct your questions to him. But it is a simple fix to get the icon and the wheels in place. Can get it done for friday if you really want it.

The work tends to get into way of other activities tounge2.gif

Good job MechaStalin and Törni, very nice BMD addon! thumbs-up.gif

Some bugs: (?)

-Suspension does not work

-BMD has BMP2 icon

http://v.foto.radikal.ru/0705/d2/e1356d0076d0.jpg

?...

http://v.foto.radikal.ru/0705/31/ec3710bf895c.jpg

In regards to having one full wheel rather than it being split as in real life.. this was due to hottentotten_mike who wanted to keep the poly levels down for OFP and therefore we made it into one but now with ArmA out im sure it can be split without causing any major hassle.

Is it possible to add wheel suspension/amortization effect to BMD without Arma tools?

Wheel texture update example (pic.), split wheel imitation. smile_o.gif

f8aabce26f86.jpg

PS. IMHO nightvision effect should be removed from action menu..

Is it possible to add wheel suspension/amortization effect to BMD without Arma tools?

Wheel texture update example (pic.), split wheel imitation. smile_o.gif

f8aabce26f86.jpg

PS. IMHO nightvision effect should be removed from action menu..

I'm actually becoming crazy.. trying to make a working suspension using the source anim "damper" but it doesn't work :P

If someone has found the way to use it... please explain it to us wink_o.gif

[...]I mean because at the moment, with current OPF modelling programs (Oxygen), we can't apply normal maps to the models. Those using other programs can do so, sure, but not in Oxygen.

[...]

You're getting the definition of APPLY and CREATE mixed up. Sure, we can't CREATE normal maps using Oxygen, but we can APPLY them. They can be applied in the config.cpp for the addon via cfgmaterials and cfgtexturetomaterial. You just need to CREATE them elsewhere, in Photoshop if you have the available NVIDIA Normal Map Plugin or in 3DS Max (though I've no idea how its done that way as I just use the Photoshop plugin).

Just a quick little project I started today, 2S9 Nona 120mm howitzer/mortar/fire support vehicle.

2S91.jpg

You're getting the definition of APPLY and CREATE mixed up. Sure, we can't CREATE normal maps using Oxygen, but we can APPLY them. They can be applied in the config.cpp for the addon via cfgmaterials and cfgtexturetomaterial. You just need to CREATE them elsewhere, in Photoshop if you have the available NVIDIA Normal Map Plugin or in 3DS Max (though I've no idea how its done that way as I just use the Photoshop plugin).

Heh, there you go, I learn something new everyday. Always wondered how to apply the damn things I'd made.

Nice lil model too, there MechaStalin. I'll reserve further comment till it's textured.

Heh, there you go, I learn something new everyday. Always wondered how to apply the damn things I'd made.

Nice lil model too, there MechaStalin. I'll reserve further comment till it's textured.

its pretty textured, I'm just too lazy to setup oxygen properly.

Edit:Nona-S ingame.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/Autozam/Nona1.jpg

Hmm I'm having a weird bug, I made some config changes and the unit vanished from the list in the editor. When I went back to the old configs its still not there. Was something changed in 1.08?

Nice. I was going to complain about the shape of the turret, but then I saw your pics with the later fixed up turret and it looks better now. Good work. Its a nice potent little light tank/mortar vehicle. I hope it will later also be incorported into any kind of ArmA artillery system that anyone is working on (while also retaining its direct fire capability).

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Great work man. When u gona relise the work u heve done. I hope it will bee soon. Make SLA strongor. Now we only need t90 or serb t84. Radnik is woring on serb t84 and i hope it will be soon too.

Keep up the good work.