Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

ArmA Vista Performance/Issues(Release&New Driver!)

I was looking at that same system for arma. My last 3 computers have been HP and I've had no serious hardware failures. The only problem with HP computers is the same with all off the shelf versions, the graphics card while above average is never as powerful as I'd like and I end up buying a video card right off the bat to get the preformance I want.

Building your own will probably always be cheaper but with a system like you mention you cut out alot of the hassel. To me theres a lot to be said for something you can take out of the box update and use right away minus the V card swap but thats a simple thing.

One minus I have to bring up with HP and maybe others I'm not sure, is the enormus about of crapware "bloatware" I guess its called they ship their computers with. I just bought an HP laptop and considered reinstalling windows before I even used it just to get rid of it all. If it gets any worse then it is right now I think that cancels out much of the advantages I've mentioned.

I was looking at that same system for arma. My last 3 computers have been HP and I've had no serious hardware failures. The only problem with HP computers is the same with all off the shelf versions, the graphics card while above average is never as powerful as I'd like and I end up buying a video card right off the bat to get the preformance I want.

Building your own will probably always be cheaper but with a system like you mention you cut out alot of the hassel. To me theres a lot to be said for something you can take out of the box update and use right away minus the V card swap but thats a simple thing.

One minus I have to bring up with HP and maybe others I'm not sure, is the enormus about of crapware "bloatware" I guess its called they ship their computers with. I just bought an HP laptop and considered reinstalling windows before I even used it just to get rid of it all. If it gets any worse then it is right now I think that cancels out much of the advantages I've mentioned.

Yeah I got an HP Pavilion a420n like 2 yrs old with AMD Anthalon XP3000+ 1gig an it's just barely playin the game. i can't go into forest(10 an below on fraps banghead.gif ) or highly congested building areas it slows down some. But if'n I'm out wandering about around Arcadia I'm just fine.

I also created a map with like 6 tanks an 3 BMP's an close 60 or so infantry give or take 20 then had like 2 or 3 KA50's buzzin around with some M-1's an AI at the OP with all that running i started to get some poping noises in the background. I took out helos an kept 1 M-1 an it quit.

im running the amd 4600 x2 dual core, 2gb ram, 7800GT, an vista ultimate, if ur gonna get vista make sur eu get ultimate, other version have less uses, finally played the demo also, not bad game, cant wait for 16th, gonna book time off work i think an hide away biggrin_o.gif

SkullBurner, 48hr PR for spamming. Cool your jets.

I'd recommend every gamer read this article before considering using Vista as a gaming OS. Giving up CPU cycles 30 times a second while I'm logged in just to see if there's any "unauthorized" content playing on my monitor or speakers seems like an awfully large penalty to pay. After I read this article, I went out and bought a second copy of WinXP Pro just before the end of January so I'd be prepared if I needed to bring up a second gaming rig at home.

My primary OS is Linux. I play as many games on that OS as I can. So far, it looks like only Armed Assault is going to be worth my time in 2007. Looks like I've got to keep a WinXP partition around a while longer. sad_o.gif Here's hoping that BI is at least considering making the next gen game a cross platform one! smile_o.gif

Im not keeping up and most likely wont touch vista for a while but werent there gonna be several versions of it?

Is it just 32/64 bit or are there more?

I've read quite a few complaints regarding gaming performance already, those running it think its early drivers fault or the os wasting hw to look pretty?

I'd recommend every gamer read this article before considering using Vista as a gaming OS. Giving up CPU cycles 30 times a second while I'm logged in just to see if there's any "unauthorized" content playing on my monitor or speakers seems like an awfully large penalty to pay. After I read this article, I went out and bought a second copy of WinXP Pro just before the end of January so I'd be prepared if I needed to bring up a second gaming rig at home.

My primary OS is Linux. I play as many games on that OS as I can. So far, it looks like only Armed Assault is going to be worth my time in 2007. Looks like I've got to keep a WinXP partition around a while longer. sad_o.gif Here's hoping that BI is at least considering making the next gen game a cross platform one! smile_o.gif

i didn´t read that article but thats always the same discussion with every new OS. Go back a few years and read about XP, Win ME, NT ,98...

One day you will be forced to change your OS or do you still use Win98 to play ArmA. Mircosoft knows exactly about the gaming market so be sure they will cover this. For sure without final drivers it isn´t the smartest idea to change to vista at the moment but they will come and the games will be playable as it was on every OS before.

It goes like this: we want better GFX we get new hardware, we want better sound we get new hardware, we want smoother playing you guess we get new hardware, we need a OS which supports all the new hardware features but we are not willing to get a new one icon_rolleyes.gif

So what? I still have my first computer the Atari 520ST which i got from my father in 1985 or 1986 at home whit the cool looking Bee on loading,

should i now go back and use him because there where less dicussions why i should use it or not?

So, wich version is the best for a Conroe and 2x8800GTX SLI?

Ie, wich version, Home, Premium, Ultimate etc, and also 32-bit or 64-bit?

This is by far the most important "read" for any gamer out there SINCE PC'S BEGAN. I'm "SHOCKED BEYOND BELIEF I MAY NEVER UPGRADE MY PC AGAIN AND MAY GIVE UP PC GAMING FOREVER" and I'm a hardcore gamer, You won't believe your eyes.

The Content protection system from what I have read will suck the life out of your PC, disable it, cripple it and with tilt bits and the system checking each driver 30 times a second simply to protect content makes Vista an overweight steel safe and will drive prices for everything up. I'd go into more detail so you should take the time to read it.

Link: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Moderators: I did type some of this post in capital letters only because this is the most serious event to grace my eyes "ever" and I'm totally "flattened" by what I have read. I had no idea Vista was going to be nothing more than a dedicated Content Protection OS system with no enhancements or improvements in performance for gamers whatsoever. It's nothing more than a "gigantic lock" with self destruct routines built in designed purely to cost you money when it dies, along with creating a closed monopoly for Microsoft effectively given Microsoft, as it stated in the article, "It's obvious why this type of business model makes the pain of pushing content protection onto consumers so worthwhile for Microsoft since it practically constitutes a license to print money."

This isn't an new OS, with things we might expect like improvements and enhancements to make things better for users and hardware makers and gamers a like. It's an OS licenced to cripple itself and a money pit for hardware and software makers.

This is the worst news I've ever had since I first powered on a PC on with DOS.

PACO454

Very interesting read smile_o.gif

First off, people with older pc's don't need to upgrade... XP suits fine and works fine smile_o.gif Vista got released in 2007 and most vista-preinstalled computers are coming from 2007...

In the case that someone really wants to fool around with HD uncompressed video, I think such person would have a proper pc being able to cope with that...

Most of the mentioned systems are only used/activated when playing PROTECTED content, so everyone who wants to screw around with the usual content is unaffacted by most things, as far as I understand.

Vista does a lot of media protection, but also system protection and that aint to satisfy Hollywood, but to make the systems more safe and reliable.

Still, I can understand why some people are not waiting for Vista to suck up their 1.4ghz cpu smile_o.gif

Production and developments costs and time go up? Things are getting more complicated and advanced by the day, so im not really shaken by this...

I must add that I didn't know some of the mentioned aspects before today. Still, I have a high-end system and im not getting warm nor cold of a few cpu cycles that are being used... But i would of coarse, if I would really have a large performance setback (in the area where I need it)...

Sure Vista performance is weak atm in gaming, but Vista just got launched and driver manufacturers have been concentrating on XP anyway... I have confidence that Vista DX9 gaming will get very close/near to XP gaming and that's more than enough for me.

Furthermore I bought a DX10 videocard, and im very eagerly awaiting Alan Wake, Eve DX10 Patch, Crysis etc...

For gamers, it's DX10 that brings the most change in Vista If you ask me smile_o.gif

Btw .. If im not mistaken, encryption/decryption protocols will be optimized/accelerated in newer or upcoming cpu's...

Quote[/b] ]im running the amd 4600 x2 dual core, 2gb ram, 7800GT, an vista ultimate, if ur gonna get vista make sur eu get ultimate, other version have less uses, finally played the demo also, not bad game, cant wait for 16th, gonna book time off work i think an hide away biggrin_o.gif
"Less Uses"... I wouldn't know a single reason why most home users cant run with Vista Homa Premium...

Ultimate only adds some extre features which are not really needed by any home user if you ask me: http://www.microsoft.com/windows....se.mspx

The Vista Home Premium 32-bit has everything i need, and more.

I tested Oblivion, Arma and some other games with Vista.

The only problems i run in, are soundproblems.

Creative is a little slow with releasing new drivers and software.

Oblivion is running in 1600x1200 with ultra high settings, and that by using beta video drivers.

I don`t see where Vista is slowing down games. huh.gif

Vista need`s a lot of resources for all the little eye candy. But once a game is started, the eye candy is no longer needed, and the game can use the resources.

Vista works not that bad as many people say. Many people complain about Vista, without a bit first hand knowledge.

And i have only an AthlonXP 3200+, 1GB Ram and an GeForce 7600GS with 512MB. Not an high end system, right? huh.gif

I'd recommend every gamer read this article before considering using Vista as a gaming OS.  Giving up CPU cycles 30 times a second while I'm logged in just to see if there's any "unauthorized" content playing on my monitor or speakers seems like an awfully large penalty to pay.  After I read this article, I went out and bought a second copy of WinXP Pro just before the end of January so I'd be prepared if I needed to bring up a second gaming rig at home.

My primary OS is Linux.  I play as many games on that OS as I can.  So far, it looks like only Armed Assault is going to be worth my time in 2007.  Looks like I've got to keep a WinXP partition around a while longer.  sad_o.gif  Here's hoping that BI is at least considering making the next gen game a cross platform one!  smile_o.gif

TY an yeah just concerned about not going with it an being screwed as to not be able to play games I already own an then buying future games that are'nt playin because there oriented around Windows Vista. i've been using Windows XP Pro for over 3 years an have no complaints it's been very stable so I think I'm staying with it.

Does anyone have 2 OS installed, like dualboot for XP and Vista? Is that possible?

I'm still waiting for my Vista MSDN-AA license from my college. I think once I've got it, I will do a real performance test:

- Make several small "video missions", each for different aspects of ArmA (dense foliage, large numbers of AI troops, large cities etc.).

- Try each of these missions at several different graphics settings, first with XP. I will do a benchmark using a tool such as Fraps for each mission, so I can measure the framerates.

- Then I'll do the same with Vista.

That is, if Sickboy isn't already up to it. wink_o.gif

I guess we need some ideas for good locations to test different stuff, and also some graphics settings suggestions.

Does anyone have 2 OS installed, like dualboot for XP and Vista? Is that possible?

I have Win2K Prof. and Vista Home Premium installed.

I have to primary partitions on HDD0, the one i set active is drive C after reboot. Not comfortable, but it works this way.

I don`t know if boot managers can handle W2K and Vista, never tried that.

i got the vista ultimate 64 bit edition, only thing i regret is maybe i should of got 32 bit, but my chip is 64 an all my hardwarse supports so thought well u know....

my demo runs real slow sometimes, dunno if its just the demo or my pc, afte ra few mins in CTI it goes all slow an laggy, an im a noob an dont even know how 2 check FPS

specs;

4600 AMD x2 dual core

2gb RAM

7800GT

Vista ultimate 64 bit

@Nemesis_wales

download fraps and let it run in the background, to see fps ingame

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

VISTA:

here some testscores i found:

Middleearth XP= 59fps VISTA= 54fps

F.E.A.R XP= 43fps VISTA= 23fps

Doom 3 XP= 52fps VISTA= 54fps

GTA III XP= 132fps VISTA= 110fps

GTA S. And. XP= 89fps VISTA= 80fps

Empires III XP= 40fps VISTA= 29fps

except in Doom3, it su***

oh and btw, VISTA doesnt support EAX at all and i'm sure there are alota other "bugs"

We must keep in mind, that the video and sound drivers are still beta drivers. The new sound engine works faster than direct sound, but it need complete new designed drivers.

Using fraps I see no difference between Xp and vista. I'm running OEM Ultimate with latest 8800 drivers and It's great. I generally don't chime in as there are more MS haters than blades of grass on Sahrani.

If you ain't used Vista final then your opinion should be pretty much mute against the people that are using it and like it.

if your looking at upgrading and have a nice machine(which arma needs anyhow) then go for it, the extra's are really worth it.

About low performance issues: keep checking www.guru3d.com for updated Vista Drivers... In the very near future, ... upcoming weeks ... there will probably be a lot of good updates that will satisfy many smile_o.gif

I have not benchmarked and im also not going to, it would not create a fair image anyway with these current drivers, so in my eyes its a waste of time biggrin_o.gif

guerilla @ Feb. 06 2007,04:38)]oh and btw, VISTA doesnt support EAX at all and i'm sure there are alota other "bugs"

Thats what I already said:

Quote[/b] ]EAX in Directsound3d games does not work, only in OpenAL Games (Like ArmA! )
And it's not a bug, Vista simply does not have Directsound anymore and they will probably not support it other than having an emulator from Creative or other makers in use. Microsoft choose to throw this overboard because it was being the weakest link in the audio loop smile_o.gif

But yeah, OpenAL allows for full hardware acceleration incl. EAX etc. so for me it's fine enough....

We are always complaining if there is not enough progress, but when some company really tries to make progress and has to remove older features for it, we start to complain as well smile_o.gif

...I MAY NEVER UPGRADE MY PC AGAIN AND MAY GIVE UP PC GAMING FOREVER" and I'm a hardcore gamer.

This is a contradiction in term.