Sign in to follow this  
sasyboy

UK Weapons

Epic work biggrin_o.gif Can't wait to see them in action, many laughs will ensue i can tell.

Would be great if someone could take the models and texture them, doubt its too hard if you have the know how, Millions of images of SA80's, UGL, GPMGs etc sprawled over the interweb.

@general

The models aren't that bad. I can't put up a wire frame as I'm at work but they're ok. They're not just boxes and stuff and I've changed bits and bobs on the Z axis to make it look like more of a 3D complex object. Although it's still not ace work but I don't really want it to be just want something you know.

I'm crud at PS to although I'm learning a little each time I try. The model is being textured on all sides slowly and the texture files are starting to look more texture files than a photo and black background wink_o.gif

Totaly agree that mappings are important for a good result. I'll work on this progressivly. At the moment I'm working on the config files and trying to link it all to the other addons we're making.

@Col. Faulkner

Susat is 3D optic although I want to change it at some point. It looks really nice apart from the fact that I did about 8 Z segments on the cyinder so it looks pants. Still shouldn't take me long to square that away.

I'm planning to realise them as open source. Meaning you can use them for free. You can change them without my permission. However if you do change them the same licensing applies and you must upload your version onto the net as open source. Or else I'll be upset. I want my work to be shared and deved by the community. The GPL licence will be copied into the read me although I'm sure it wouldn't apply to addons but I'ld like the spirit of opensource to live on in these.

The models are changing all the time but I want to realise for Feb sometime.

@Messiah & jeftec

Thanks guys for the support. I know you boys couldn't disappoint us inlove.gif

Anouther pic of the SA80 (worked on the SUSAT and handgard). Dev work has slowed down a bit because I'm on the configs now. So far they work in game fine but sound like a M16 smile_o.gif

sa8017.jpg

sa8016.jpg

great work sasyboy.. (makes me think about the movie "my sassy girl") anyway, dont bother by the "general".

People that complains that a model isnt too high poly "but not sure, could you post a wireframe" is so way off. The goal for a model is to have enough poly to fool the eyes thinking this is exact copy, yet so little points its playable.

If people even cant point out if its too low or not, then its good enough. Sure you can make 10 000 poly ass kicking weapons, but whats the use of that if 2000 is enough to make it look like sweets.

Also, love the idea behind the open source. Thats how I release my own addons..

keep going man.

ok, as I said:

it's hard to tell by just looking at it. But by the look of it. you've only done the major shapes and not the smaller ones which makes it look pretty low detailed. Still, it can be the textures hiding the fine details.

BTW what's the polycount? If my guesses are way off, I would like to know smile_o.gif

Edit*.

Looks like you fixed the maping. I can't see that stretshed out textures wink_o.gif Hope we will see more improvements soon smile_o.gif

at least you dont take offense to what you've said yourself is somewhat low quality . in my opinion they look like ghost recon 1 , rainbow six 1 or Swat 3 textures and models , sad_o.gif . at least you're trying though , good on you.

keep going, they are looking good smile_o.gif

@Col. Faulkner

Susat is 3D optic although I want to change it at some point.  

So you mean it's just basically an empty tube?  huh.gif

I'm not sure (yet) how ArmA exactly does the telescopic

sights  view but if it's similar to the way Flashpoint did it

then it's basically a 2D "sight picture". If you want, you

could use the pointer graphic I did for my SUIT. Just flip

it 180 degrees. I remember it was a Royal P in the A trying

to draw the pointer neatly (but then I'm barely Photoshop

literate myself) so it might save you some aggro.

SUIT.jpg

The base of the pointer should actually be a bit wider than

it appears there and the FoV is a teeny bit skew-whiff too

(my motivation in building it was similar to  yours - wanted

some Brit stuff to play with but nobody else was making any -

that was likely to actually get released this century -

so "close enough" was OK). If you want to use it I'll correct

it before I send it to you.

@granQ

if something looks low poly and it highpoly, something is really wrong. I've heard serveral times that I should show the wireframe cuz it can be difficult to see the flaws otherwise. especially if a texture is applyed. The elevations that you can see on the pic used as texture can't be seen on the model and it makes it look pretty flat.

a lowpoly model with good textures can look very detailed.

a model with more pollys can look like it's got fewer pollys if a bad texture is applyed. You really can't just look at a textured model and figure out the pollycount.

And if I think something looks bad, I will say that it look bad and what looks bad on it. If it looks good I will say so. Everyone's got right to express his or her opinion right?

Quote[/b] ]If people even cant point out if its too low or not, then its good enough. Sure you can make 10 000 poly ass kicking weapons, but whats the use of that if 2000 is enough to make it look like sweets.

I said that it looked lowpolly and that's what matters. If you make a weapon with 50 000 pollys that looks like shit it's not very good is it?

@granQ

if something looks low poly and it highpoly, something is really wrong. I've heard serveral times that I should show the wireframe cuz it can be difficult to see the flaws otherwise. especially if a texture is applyed. The elevations that you can see on the pic used as texture can't be seen on the model and it makes it look pretty flat.

a lowpoly model with good textures can look very detailed.

a model with more pollys can look like it's got fewer pollys if a bad texture is applyed. You really can't just look at a textured model and figure out the pollycount.

And if I think something looks bad, I will say that it look bad and what looks bad on it. If it looks good I will say so. Everyone's got right to express his or her opinion right?

Quote[/b] ]If people even cant point out if its too low or not, then its good enough. Sure you can make 10 000 poly ass kicking weapons, but whats the use of that if 2000 is enough to make it look like sweets.

I said that it looked lowpolly and that's what matters. If you make a weapon with 50 000 pollys that looks like shit it's not very good is it?

you right.. not much more to add. Just trying to encourage more because people that put up something here they made and not just a cs import get to hear so much "ahh low poly, that sucks man".. of people that never even figured out how to put a endtrigger in their mission.. sorry, just frustration i guess.

shocked at some of the first responses, seems that alot of people just look at the pics and dont look at the text that someone has wrote. i think they look great sassy. anyone remember the very poor SA80 models that were initially released for ofp? before any PUKF release and they were quite poor. even still had the flash effect visible at the end of the nossil when it wasn't fireing.

i assume that sassys project is just so that his COOP team can use UK weapons online. so they don't have to use yank weapons, until the PUKF ones are released. good look sassy, most of my projects i started died a early death, and they were mostly texture swapping, and very little model making, if you require any help, which i doubt as you have a very experienced team around you, then give me a message on msn.

keep up the good work dude and i hope to see you soon in mp.

Good idea and good work. Hope us bods at UKF can meet your expectations though mate!

My advice to you is that if people ignore what you've said about the quality/what you're aiming for in your addons, then in return, ignore thier feedback! thumbs-up.gif I'm not going to blow sunshine up your arse for what you already know and have admitted isnt the greatest quality work, but a) it's a good idea, b) It's pretty good for someone starting out, in a fairly unfamiliar game engine for which no mod tools have yet been released, and c) it's already steps ahead of those people who are content to sit and critisize, but not to step up to the plate and put in the time themselves!

Keep at it! Just don't get too much better or you'll put UKF out of a job! biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]you right.. not much more to add. Just trying to encourage more because people that put up something here they made and not just a cs import get to hear so much "ahh low poly, that sucks man".. of people that never even figured out how to put a endtrigger in their mission.. sorry, just frustration i guess.

No worries wink_o.gif I'm not trying to be an asshole. Just giving some contructive criticism.

aww you guys are the best notworthy.gif

@pathy

Hope things are good for you and thanks.  I think your advice is good and I'll adopt it.

@johnwilso007

Aye anyone can use these.  I can see a few versions realised over time though as RAAB and others suggest things.  With the addons being opensource I might steal bits that people put in then rerealise too.

@general

I think you're right mate but I'm not too fussed about them looking the dogs.  I might put whilstles on them later on but they'll be versionised over time and hopefully someone with good texture experiance can do them justice.  I'm trying to layout the texture files labeled with areas so people can identify what gos where.  The polly count is very low for sure my guess is like a 100-200.  I'm doing this stuff in O2 and I've only just learnt to use selections more. wink_o.gif

@Col. Faulkner

Aye mate it's an empty tube with the susat tip drawn in with no frontal face to give the impression of glass.  It looks really nice in game and seems very acreate.  To be honist I don't think it needs a overlay as when you fire the thing moves arround real sweet.  It's got 4x mag on it which takes a bit of messing arround with.  I think... the config has two attributes a zoom for the vision close to your eye and a zoom for the area a bit away from your eye if that makes sence.  Although I need to spend more time looking into this and experimenting.

Your texture looks nice but can't help thingink you're lying on your back. smile_o.gif Can you twist round the pointer 180 like that?

@sasyboy: You model looks good so far... but the textures are crap... use soem high-res textures... These you are using now looks very low-end... Ahh and another thing... the scope is in the soldier's head i think^^

Anyway nice work on the model as i said... smile_o.gif

keep it up!

@ sasyboy

100 to 200... that's what I guessed tounge2.gif Anyway it is quite low end. Would work for the lower lods. 1000 to 2000 is what I'd try to reach for the highest lod. For myself, I really have a problem getting the models below 3000 pollys tounge2.gif

If you're not happy with the result of your model, remodel it.

The best way to learn is to watch a pro ( Not saying that I'm a pro. I'm not even close confused_o.gif ) edit your model and correct your misstakes. You do it in o2 aswell. O2 lacks some of the very key tools that I use all the time which is why I model in maya instead.

Quote[/b] ]

@Col. Faulkner

Aye mate it's an empty tube with the susat tip drawn in [...]  It's got 4x mag on it [...]

OK, I didn't know you could put magnification on the 3D

sights views...I'll just get my coat...

Quote[/b] ]

Your texture looks nice but can't help thingink you're lying on your back. smile_o.gif  Can you twist round the pointer 180 like that?

Well, as I said, it's actually meant to be a SUIT, not a

SUSAT. Sight Unit, Infantry, Trilux, was the SUSAT's

predecessor that came into service around 1972 and

was mounted on the SLR. The SUIT's pointer did come

down from the top like that. The basic idea being that

you could keep the target in view better while holding

off.

You do it in o2 aswell. O2 lacks some of the very key tools that I use all the time which is why I model in maya instead.

Yes, well, that's jolly nice for you, but not everyone can

justify spending thousands of dollars on Maya for just this.

O2 is perfectly OK for making the sort of low poly models

that this application uses.

You do it in o2 aswell. O2 lacks some of the very key tools that I use all the time which is why I model in maya instead.

Yes, well, that's jolly nice for you, but not everyone can

justify spending thousands of dollars on Maya for just this.

O2 is perfectly OK for making the sort of low poly models

that this application uses.

*deleted

So far so good sasy mate. Looking top. Should be real nice to give the SAS units I've been working on some of these weapons.

Daniel @ Feb. 02 2007,16:11)]Pardon?  icon_rolleyes.gif He posted yesterday!

guess I'm just impatient tounge2.gif

lol @general

SUIT seems like a good Idea. Aye mate the sight works by putting a point in the memory lod called 'eye'. Then the from the config you can change the mag when you look through the sight. You have to move the eye back and forth until you find a good position for the magnification you need. Simple idea for ArmA but it looks ace because the rifle recoil make everything float arround.

No it isn't abondended. Just working on Configs and stuff right now. One of my major problems is sussing out how to add these things to an ammo create. It seems as though the descriptions of the rifles / mags in the gear dilog seem to get the text somewhere else other than the config. I figure this is giving me problems and I can't track out where this text comes from. I'll keep plugging but it's looking like ammo creates wont be options until I suss this. Infact in the gear screen the text description is that of the M16 some how it's inherited it from the parent class... Can't find the description attribute anyware in the pbos though! crazy_o.gif

No worries.

heres a sample from my entry tools config, ive added an ammocrate filled with some stuff from me, you should be able to customize it for your needs. Its part of the cfgvehicles, you just need to replace my classnames and put in the classnames of your weapons and mags.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class ReammoBox;

class AS_AmmoBox: ReammoBox

{

scope = 2;

accuracy = 1000;

vehicleClass="AS_Addons";

displayName = "Ammo AS";

class TransportMagazines

{

class _AS_Mags1

{

magazine = "ASSmokeShellblau";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags2

{

magazine = "ASSmokeShellrot";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags3

{

magazine = "ASSmokeShellgelb";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags4

{

magazine = "ASSmokeShelllila";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags5

{

magazine = "ASFlashbangmag";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags6

{

magazine = "ASstrobeIRmag";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags7

{

magazine = "ASstrobelasermag";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags8

{

magazine = "ASLightstgr";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags9

{

magazine = "ASLightstyel";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags10

{

magazine = "ASLightstbl";

count = 50;

};

class _AS_Mags11

{

magazine = "ASLightstred";

count = 50;

};

};

class TransportWeapons

{

class _AS_weps1

{

weapon = "AS_wirecutter";

count = 4;

};

class _AS_weps2

{

weapon = "AS_ladderf";

count = 4;

};

};

};

wow that's really helpfull. Have you experienced my above problem then? Any thoughts to why you can't addWeaponCargo the addon I'm making to an ammo create?

It also worked a treat notworthy.gif