Sign in to follow this  
BloodOmen

OFP Vs Arma SP Campaign

To all who are disappointed in ARMA Combat Operations: In 2008, Codemasters, the outlet for OFP, CWC, and not Atari, will be coming out with Operation Flashpoint 2. I am generally pleased with the new game, but am confident that when Codemasters/Bohemia Interactive issue the successor to CWC, you will be pleased. For your information. pukey

do you know something we dont about codemasters and bohemia interactive working together again? last time i checked they had split their partenership and their OFP2 is a different beast to GAME2 by BIS

bootneckofficer

I got the U.S. version today.  Looks like they have it from a soldiers view rather than the reporters view point.  Looks like there trying with improving the main campaign some already. smile_o.gif   Hopefully more will come soon in some patch's. I agree, OFP singleplayer campaign was amazing.

If I knew how much Arma's campaign sucked-- I would of never bought the damn game. It was such a crock of shit.

--Half of the campaign was broken. I dont even want to talk about the near end missions.

-- The AI actually feels WORSE than the AI in OFP. In OFP, my guys would actually be able to kill stuff, and the enemy AI wouldnt have the ability to track and kill me miles away behind a row of thick bushes

--6 years later, it feels and even looks almost like the exact same damn game as OFP. Movement controls are awkward, actions are very unresponsive, and the squad command stuff hasnt changed AT ALL. The interface has a very very steep learning curve that is very clunky, and just a pain in the ass to deal with in a game.

I was really hoping for another OFP-like campaign with fixes to all of the issues I had in OFP that I thought were the cause of 2001 technology limits. All ArmA is, is OFP with a shiny new graphics engine that IMO isnt that much of an improvment over some of the graphics mods for OFP out now.

I think it's actually good that the squad command interface hasn't changed - that was a pain to learn it in OFP and I'm glad I don't have to do it again.

And - even though I agree that the campaign sucks @ss - I still like ArmA. Hopefully, the bugs get fixed soon, though - I seriously hope those are the things that are being worked on.

You can, however, download user-made SP missions for ArmA - some of them are good. I did the same thing after completing the campaign, since it was short and uninspired.

I think it's actually good that the squad command interface hasn't changed - that was a pain to learn it in OFP and I'm glad I don't have to do it again.

And - even though I agree that the campaign sucks @ss - I still like ArmA. Hopefully, the bugs get fixed soon, though - I seriously hope those are the things that are being worked on.

You can, however, download user-made SP missions for ArmA - some of them are good. I did the same thing after completing the campaign, since it was short and uninspired.

It has changed a bit. The whole Red Team, Green Team, Blue Team thing doesn't work as effectivly because it doesn't let you press "Select Blue" or anything like that anymore. You can only assign colors you can't select a whole team by pressing one button which kind of pisses me off because it would make commanding a Platoon or Company a lot easier.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that. I tend to only play SP missions, there I didn't see any changes.

US and Euro versions are basically the same, the storyline is shite, the original OFP:CWC was insane as all hell, and had a great replay value, more to the bundle..

A lot of great points, and nothing over-the-top.

People are hitting the nail on the head, and nothing more is to be said.

------------

As for ArmA in general, beautiful game, and cannot wait for some insanely developed SP missions...and COOP missions that bring that feeling of actual "realism"...

I'm sorry, I didn't know that. I tend to only play SP missions, there I didn't see any changes.

Thats all that I have played so far too.

The whole Red Team, Green Team, Blue Team thing doesn't work as effectivly because it doesn't let you press "Select Blue" or anything like that anymore. You can only assign colors you can't select a whole team by pressing one button which kind of pisses me off because it would make commanding a Platoon or Company a lot easier.

Hold spacebar you get a selection ting on the top right of your screen there you can select the groups by pressing the middle mouse button.

The whole Red Team, Green Team, Blue Team thing doesn't work as effectivly because it doesn't let you press "Select Blue" or anything like that anymore. You can only assign colors  you can't select a whole team by pressing one button which kind of pisses me off because it would make commanding a Platoon or Company a lot easier.

Hold spacebar you get a selection ting on the top right of your screen there you can select the groups by pressing the middle mouse button.

Awesome im going to go try that. Thank you

this game has its pluses, but i have more negatives in it.

the campaign (story wise) didn't bother me too much, could have made it better by putting in proper cut scenes and not these still shot pictures w/ a narrator. gameplay wise the missions suck. its like Red Hammer, but worse. though it has a few fun missions

things i hate most about this game's campaign:

the AI is the worst i have ever seen. Waay worse than in OFP. in OFP troops on the ground were decent. though they couldn't navigate inside buildingsthey did fight well outside. in ArmA the AI very unbalanced between horrible and unfairly difficult enemy AI is down right brutal. no matter your location, whether your behind a car, house, tree, whole forest, bush bolder, 1m or 500m away, they magically know thats where you as well as anybody in your squad are located and in less than .00001 seconds they have their AK's sights lined up on your head and in one shot your dead. you would think that if they enemy is that vicious surely the AI you command must as brutal. WRONG! there is not a word in the human language i can describe just how dumb your fellow soldiers are. where as the enemy are ruthless murder machines your soldiers get their asses handed to them each time you tell them to attack that soldier or this soldier. its pathetic. when under the command of the AI, he will gladly march us off into a meat grinder w/out so much as telling us to get down, or stay alert. in OFP the AI officers were great. the first mission where you take Morton is a perfect example.

the Control sceme is another thing i despise. the only way i have been able to figure out how to get the gunner in a tank to switch from the main gun to machine gun is to switch to the command mode and press F key. for aircraft its even worse. you can't select targets w/ the mouse cursor because you don't have a cursor, unless your going to switch to command mode which is a pretty bad way for you the pilot to give targets to your gunner, this method is only available if you have the gunner under your command. otherwise you have to scroll through targets using the tab key. your no longer able to strafe your helicopter side to side, and fixed wing aircraft can't turn the nose on their horizontal axis using the rudders. i heard realistically aircraft can't do that at high speed. if so, than flying in this game really got a whole lot harder.

the sound is kinda bad, the gun shots don't bother me too much, its the vehicles sound really bad, there really isn't any change in the sound as you throttle up or down. in flashpoint for xbox bis put a awsome sound for the t80's engine, i loved it. then theres the radio chatter you will hear from your soldiers as the locate enemies, and bark orders. ofp's radio chatter wasn't good, but it was very tolerable. in Arma it just gives me a head ache.

lastly, where the hells all the vehicles, no M60 tanks, no Bradleys fighting vehicles, no t80's, no t55, no hind, no chinhook, no kioha and no apachi

sad_o.gif

to sum it up, if i knew anybody looking for a fun and realistic military game, id tell them to stay away from ArmA for the moment. maybe in the future, this game will get a overhaul and become on par w/ flashpoint or hopefully even better, i really hope so too, i want this game to be awsome. instead get Flashpoint elite on Xbox.

w/ ofp elite you get:

nice graphics, not as good as Arma, but a hellava lot better than the vanilla ofps graphics. infact, i would even go as far as saying this port is better than its PC original

none of this troublesome AI

more vehicles

better campaign

some of the nice features seen in Arma, smoke and fire from destroyed vehicles, watching choppers spin out of control if you shoot the rear rotor blade, delayed detonation on the west hand grenades, they even bounce off of other objects.

after completing CWC you can unlock resistance. don't get Red Hammer, but Red Hammer was crap anyway. you do get the bonus vehicles that did come w/ the expansion. and you even see them in use in the CWC campaign. that was something that kinda seemed odd to me that bis included the nice vehicles and didn't bother to use them in any of them in Red hammer or resistance.

I choose ofp hands down (mainly ressistance) the arma didn't pull me in, but what's really sad are those side missions seriously I could make those side missions and I suck at the mission editor. The arma story had so much potential it's a shame they blew it.

before i considered the people complaining about the ArmA campaign only whiners. but in the last two nights my view changed drasticaly.

it began with the mission after the marines arrived. I had to clear Corazol. And if i write i, i mean it...

it startet right, but when the heavy support should take out the hardware it went down the drain. The choper got shot down immediately by a T-72 the Abrams got stuck and also got destroyed by a single '72. Accordingly all infantry outside my team got killed by SLA tanks.

Those things were reproduceable, not just coincidences.

Had to put my squad to stop, in a safe place, and took out all tanks on my own, with salvaged rpgs. Took me at least 100 reloads, 20 saves, and the whole night.

Next night i was puzling with the Big Bang mission where two trucks needed to be destroyed. i was puzling not with the military task, but with the game itself. found a pretty lame solution, by throwing the missions concept overboard, and grabing a grenadelauncher and taking out the trucks...

The main mission after that was a bummer again. Go to a place, wait for the AI cannon gunner to take out every vehicle, wait 10 minutes for a BMP that got stuck and was late. Mission finished.

It got even worse after that. 1st Side misssion: A landing operation on the North coast, with 3 patrol boats, 2 zodiacs and 3 abrams, obviously transported there on zodiacs...

2nd side Mission: Guarding a group of engineers to build a little town in enemy territory.

Are those insider jokes?

Have you seen any missions so blatantly stupid or bugged in CWC or Resistance? i can't remember.

I think codemasters had something to do with why the OFP and OFPres campaigns are so different.

Not that they worked on the campaign, but I'm sure they pushed BIS to make something good.

ARMA campaign is a joke, it makes sinmgle player useless.

Hmm, I enjoyed Red hammer more than ArmA campaign. I find it strange after CWC and Resistance suddenly BI comes with ArmA type of campaign. confused_o.gif

I liked the campaign until the last mission. That seemed REALLY forced and bad... The ending story bit was also kinda lame, I thought...

My biggest disappointment in the campign is the complete lack of realism. Solo Rambo operations, always operating independent of your squad (when you do have one). Some of the missions, no military in the world would assign some of them. The engine itself is amazing. I don't know why the campign wasn't designed to reflect its emphasis on simulation.

I would have to say OFP campaign is way better then the Arma Campaign, I played the Arma campaign twice just to make sure. storyline in OFP was a alot better to Arma however i did like how you could select your own missions in the Arna campaign.. pistols.gif

I think anyone coming from OFP wouldn't really dislike the Arma campaign that much - it's got plenty of action and the story really isn't that bad.

I do sympathise for someone new to it all though; it's not a great showcase for the game. I'm playing Perpetua at the moment, and this is like Flashpoint of old - long intros and cutscenes, deliberate showcasing of the island's prettier features using long transportation sequences; it's fantastic.

In terms of poor mission structure (insurmountable odds etc) I don't like it when this happens, but OFP and Resistance were hardly immune to this either; OFP had plenty of very tough 'sneaky beaky' missions as Gastovsky, and some of the command missions in the latter part of CWC were bloody hard going. The airfield attack in Resistance stands out in my memory as being phenominally hard. Anybody remember 'Return To Eden' in CWC? It is meant to be hard going, but boy had I forgotten exactly how hard!!

Attacking fixed defences with a squad of 10-12 men, usually unsupported (no APC or armour) is extremely hard going. OFP, Resistance, and ARMA all require you to do this sometimes several times in one mission - so I don't think Arma is unique in this respect.

I dont know how anyone not coming from OFP can like ArmA's campaign rofl.gif

Hopefully Queens Gambit will make us inlove.gif ArmA's SP rofl.gif

So far obivous that most of us if not all think ArmA's campaign sucked tounge2.gif

Well thanks guys for letting me know Arma's campaign suck balls. I wonder if BIS will fix the campaign (I doubt it) and make it more memorable.

I have been playing the single missions in Arma and man they are HARD, mainly because of the enemy AI who seems to have uncanny accuracy and have echo location hearing so they find u quickly even without LOS. OFP enemy AI was good enough they were a challenge to deal with plus friendly AI were very good and could take care of themselves well, in Arma friendly AI turn corpses very quickly because the enemy AI ARE superior marksmen.

Anyway Arma has proven itself to be a good investment I really like the game compared to HUGE letdowns like GRAW, R6:Las Vegas, and some others. If theres one aspect Arma is superior to OFP and thats the Multiplayer aspect I love MP games whether PvsP or COOP.

You guys know something?

I started the campaign back in the days of the first patch (german version was unplayable due to a copy protection problem before that). I got up to the mission where you're supposed to lure the enemy armor into the town and blow the bridges and kill them, then retreat. The game and campaign had so many bugs that, to me at least, it was literally unplayable.

I restarted playing the campaign during the 1.07 beta from the begining. I was bored and wondered if the massive list of bug fixes made it actually playable now. Now I'm on the last mission. I have to say that it *has* gotten a LOT better between release and now. Sure, it's still dry, kind of boring, unrealistic, etc. At least it's possible to actually play it now though and the missions are at least possible to actually do now. It's still a hard campaign, but not impossible any more.

Anyways, yes, the CWC campaign was by far the better of the 2. I disliked a large portion of the red hammer campaign, but some of the missions in there have to rank as some of my favorite missions of all time. The first half of the resistance campaign was pretty good, the last half got a little too unrealistic for my tastes though.

While I feel the arma campaign is generally bad, I still have to admit that it's loads better than some of the campaigns the community released for ofp. Sure, there was a few great ones, but to be honest there where some real bad ones too.

I agree with ColonelSandersLite...

But despite the 1.08 version, missions don't end sometimes, sometimes the squad that was supposed to jump in your truck decides to walk to the objective on foot etc., so you have to replay the missions in order to go on.

So EVEN with 1.08 it's sometimes hard to play it, which with the mentioned disadvantages makes it even worst.

I was dissappointed so much with ArmA's campign that I went and replayed both cold war crisis and resistance.

Sure, OPF had some pretty tough, against-all-odds missions. But most of the mission in OPF SP were simple attack an enemy position. In ArmA they have tried being more creative creating some more unique mission, but it just doesn't work. Too many Solo Rambo operations, or compeletly unrealistic situations.

example:-sneak into a base with a rocket and satchel charges alone and destroy 3 vehicles without being spotted.

-take 2 Humvee and a few men and knock out a tank column.

-snipe 30 troops at close range, by yourself.

Completly unplausible situations. No military would assign missions like this. I wish they had an actual military advisor helping them design the campign. Or, they could have taken the simple OPF mission formula, attack position A then position B. You would have thought BIS would have learned alot making these games, instead of going backwards, in terms of campign design.

The whole point of ArmA, unlike traditional FPS games, is that you as an individual are nothing. It's about everything else around you. I would go as far as to say, that unless your in command, you should not be able to affect the outcome of the battle. In the ArmA campign your too overly put into the center of attention.

I was dissappointed so much with ArmA's campign that I went and replayed both cold war crisis and resistance.

Sure, OPF had some pretty tough, against-all-odds missions. But most of the mission in OPF SP were simple attack an enemy position. In ArmA they have tried being more creative creating some more unique mission, but it just doesn't work. Too many Solo Rambo operations, or compeletly unrealistic situations.

example:-sneak into a base with a rocket and satchel charges alone and destroy 3 vehicles without being spotted.

-take 2 Humvee and a few men and knock out a tank column.

-snipe 30 troops at close range, by yourself.

Completly unplausible situations. No military would assign missions like this. I wish they had an actual military advisor helping them design the campign. Or, they could have taken the simple OPF mission formula, attack position A then position B. You would have thought BIS would have learned alot making these games, instead of going backwards, in terms of campign design.

The whole point of ArmA, unlike traditional FPS games, is that you as an individual are nothing. It's about everything else around you. I would go as far as to say, that unless your in command, you should not be able to affect the outcome of the battle. In the ArmA campign your too overly put into the center of attention.

I agree

They could have done better with the bigger units limit in ArmA icon_rolleyes.gif