Sign in to follow this  
jammydodger

Performance Tweaking Experiences

Has anyone with 2gb of ram tried higher settings for maxmem like 1200 instad of 1024.

I havent tryed =1024 will try it when i head home in a hour and let you no on 1200

Im running it on a Amd 4600 x 2, 2 gig, X1950XTX 512mb and its runs terrible compared to any thing else i run. So i will try a couple of the tweaks and let you no. Strange thing it does'nt matter what settings i run it at (Low or max ) i get the same slow downs in the same places ?

As for HDR, I dont think you can turn it off, but it can be scaled back by setting post processing to very low.

In the players settigns and cfg file, there is a setting for HDR isnt there? On Low I think it is set to 8.

What if that was set to 0 would it make any difference?

I have not much idea about that sort of thing....... also, what sort of maxmem settings are you guys using with 1gb RAM?

My spec

P4 3.4Ghz

1Gig Ram

Nvidia 6800 256mb

Cheers

TJ

Kill explorer when playing the game, it helps with alot of other games like, X3Reunion and Fear.. It helped abit with ArmA aswell.

I dunno about manually "hacking" the HDR values.

But I DO think its a wise choice by BI NOT to let people disable HDR. Especially the way it effects gameplay. Those without HDR on would be at a massive advantage to those with, since they wouldnt have to wait for their "vision" to adjust to the lighting.

And that helps how? huh.gif

No performance gained..

I really hope BIS would patch ArmA for dc at some point, the game would only benefit from it..

you can host a massive coop game or a decent CTI game , with 1 computer, and don't drop to 10Fps because server side app.

it's a dual cpu.

now, on a simple mission context, no real gaine is expected.

but i prompise you , with a 16 player CTI game, it definitly usefull

(im OFP veteran)

If you have the shadow detail on high and very high settings they look amazing. It's like a soft shadow effect from games like FEAR.

Then it seems to return back to 8, already tried it..

Maybe make it a server side option, or always force it on in MP..

It really hurts my eyes after a while and i find the constant changing of brightness annoying as hell tounge2.gif

It really hurts my eyes after a while and i find the constant changing of brightness annoying as hell tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Those without HDR on would be at a massive advantage to those with, since they wouldnt have to wait for their "vision" to adjust to the lighting.

Thats probably the reason it cant be disabled. It would give those without it too big an advantage.

But it could be a server-side option like the crosshair and 3rd person view are so it's not a valid reason.

Has anyone with 2gb of ram tried higher settings for maxmem like 1200 instad of 1024.

I havent tryed =1024 will try it when i head home in a hour and let you no on 1200

Im running it on a Amd 4600 x 2, 2 gig, X1950XTX 512mb and its runs terrible compared to any thing else i run. So i will try a couple of the tweaks and let you no. Strange thing it does'nt matter what settings i run it at (Low or max ) i get the same slow downs in the same places ?

I tryed the 1024 and 1200mb and it made no differance. Armed is only useing 270.00mb ? is the correct ?

I tryed the 1024 and 1200mb and it made no differance. Armed is only useing 270.00mb ? is the correct ?

Mine uses about 800mb when im ingame on sahrani (not the small island)

Quote[/b] ]Those without HDR on would be at a massive advantage to those with, since they wouldnt have to wait for their "vision" to adjust to the lighting.

Thats probably the reason it cant be disabled. It would give those without it too big an advantage.

Same could be said about object shadows, shadows seem to have a much more significant effect on the gameplay now, if you are in a darker place with shadows (like a bush) you will be harder to spot but what happens if shadows are disabled? The sunlight will still light up the model?

not sure if this is the right place for this.

here are my specs. will i need to buy new hardware to really take advantage of arma?

(754-pin) AMDT ATHLONT64 3200

160GB 7200 RPM ATA HARD DRIVE

(754-pin Socket) Abit KV8 PRO VIA K8T800 Chipset AGP8X

2X 512 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY Corsair XMS High Performance

EVGA GEFORCE 6800 128MB DDR AGP8X

Quote[/b] ]Then it seems to return back to 8, already tried it..

try to make file "read only" after you change value to zero.

not sure if this is the right place for this.

here are my specs. will i need to buy new hardware to really take advantage of arma?

(754-pin) AMDT ATHLONT64 3200

160GB 7200 RPM ATA HARD DRIVE

(754-pin Socket) Abit KV8 PRO VIA K8T800 Chipset AGP8X

2X 512 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY Corsair XMS High Performance

EVGA GEFORCE 6800 128MB DDR AGP8X

You'll be running at Low/Very-Low settings with smooth frames.

you can host a massive coop game or a decent CTI game , with 1 computer, and don't drop to 10Fps because server side app.

I had the feeling you meant it like that, ah silly me tounge2.gif

It's using 270MB in the menu (heh), but when you're on the island, it's about 7-800MB.

Man, I just wish they would allow turning off grass and HDR. I have a 4 pixel pipeline card and ArmA brings it to its knees after screwing it's girlfriend.

I have the following specs:

1.83GHz Core Duo

1GB ram

128MB Radeon X1400.

At playable settings (800x600, everything very low) ArmA looks worse than OFP. sad_o.gif

Everything runs fine and looks good on normal/low at 800 or 1024 I can put shadow on full (looks cool) even.

P4 3.2

1GB ram

X1600 256

Just wish I could turn off the grass, not for FPS but just coz it's eye candy, it's a real pain in the ass.

When I put it on 1024... it isn't long for my game using over 640mb mem smile_o.gif But that's in multiplayer and probably some different missions than you had...

So it's a matter of:

Which Mission

Where in the Mission

Graphics settings in general I think... if they are very low, it will save memory anyway..

Man, I just wish they would allow turning off grass and HDR. I have a 4 pixel pipeline card and ArmA brings it to its knees after screwing it's girlfriend.

1.83GHz Core Duo

1GB ram

128MB Radeon X1400.

At playable settings (800x600, everything very low) ArmA looks worse than OFP. sad_o.gif

Athlon XP3400+ (socketA)

non-dual 1GB RAM

ATI X800XT 256MB AGP

terain,model,drawing = very high

texture detail = low

posprocess = low

AF,AA,Shadows = off

Blood = max

visible distance=1200m

resolution = 1280x1024

Game works fine.

IMPORTANT!

In control panel for graphicscards its necessary to made following:

1) turn everything to performance (not quality)

2) unselect/disable options like "let application choice" settings everything must be set on PERNAMENT PERFORMANCE

3) disable all AA or AF or other features like that

4) select choice double buffering (not tripple)

5) DENY V-sync !!! (turn V-sync PERNAMENT OFF!!!wink_o.gif

6) close all not-necessary programs running on your computer behind

For ATI users this works very nice but sometimes game crash, but for this is not "cure" at this time.

It's using 270MB in the menu (heh), but when you're on the island, it's about 7-800MB.

I loaded it up, Played a mission Ambush the convoy. Alt & tab and its arma.exe = 270mb if i load in a save game from the campain its 380mb ? The problem i have is its loading textures all the time while playing thats whats slowing it down, they should be loading them into ram since i have 2 gig! would it be useing the video ram instead of system ram ? X1950XTX 512mb

512mb & 270mb = 782mb ?

1.83GHz Core Duo

1GB ram

128MB Radeon X1400.

Athlon XP3400+ (socketA)

non-dual 1GB RAM

ATI X800XT 256MB AGP

terain,model,drawing = very high

texture detail = low

posprocess = low

AF,AA,Shadows = off

Blood = max

visible distance=1200m

resolution = 1280x1024

Game works fine.

IMPORTANT!

In control panel for graphicscards its necessary to made following:

1) turn everything to performance (not quality)

2) unselect/disable options like "let application choice" settings everything must be set on PERNAMENT PERFORMANCE

3) disable all AA or AF or other features like that

4) select choice double buffering (not tripple)

5) DENY V-sync !!! (turn V-sync PERNAMENT OFF!!!wink_o.gif

6) close all not-necessary programs running on your computer behind

For ATI users this works very nice but sometimes game crash, but for this is not "cure" at this time.

for god sake!!! hell no !!!!

no way man , i ruin my X1900 image quality and BI texturing work confused_o.gif

AA4x and aniso 16x , not less. im forced to play at 1280x960.

But my image qual is decent

After playing with my settings I have settled on what I have found optimal. Unless I'm in a forest, its at least playable.

Now if I can only figure out the random crashes that ONLY occur in MP sad_o.gif

i dont have a super computer, but arma plays fine for me with everything maxed @ 1024x768 (except AA/FF, and distance..which i keep at or around 1000)..and i dont have any problems. im not saying MY LEET POOTER IS TEH ROXXORZ!! but for me, it plays just fine, maybe a time or two to "load up" in game, but nothing in a stutter or freeze action.

AMD 3200 x64

BFG oc 69800

gig and half of generic ram.

all i did was reformat the computer, load newest drivers unlocked the card, and used PCI latencty tool, before installing arma.

plays fine.

EDIT:::: WHOOPS, some things ARE off OR low.

shadows, off (my card has a small issue with them..i get squares thru the land)

AA/AF off

shading normal.

im happy with what i have until i upgrade a year or so later.