Sign in to follow this  
jammydodger

Performance Tweaking Experiences

One of our members "astrix" has posted his Performance Tweaking experiences, and I thought you guys would like to have a look.

Check it out HERE

Whats your experiences?

tell him that his experience about 1/2 jumps with Vsync on is caused by double buffering used (refresh rate = 60Hz, then game keeps 60fps when 60+ fps, 30fps when 30-59.99, 15fps when 15-29.99 etc)

way around this is to FORCE Triple buffering by some tool ...

i hope BIS developers will implement support for Triple Buffering (as switch on/off in options) into engine as it's quite easy for D3D (several lines of code) ...

Careful with triple buffering as it can cause input (mouse) lag.

Guest Ti0n3r

I have a P4 @3.8ghz, 1 gb of ram & a GeForce 6600. I run ArmA with every setting on Very low (or Diabled if possible) in 640x480.

It looks horrible and the fps is much lower than what I got in OFP with everything maxed out rofl.gif

1024x768 is the best resolution any higher or lower my FPS drops.

I have a P4 @3.8ghz, 1 gb of ram & a GeForce 6600. I run ArmA with every setting on Very low (or Diabled if possible) in 640x480.

It looks horrible and the fps is much lower than what I got in OFP with everything maxed out rofl.gif

You people must be picky about your settings. I'm okay with my 20-30 range I get at 800x600, High models, medium textures etc, high post processing, high pixel effects, 1500m view distance and some other settings I cant remember.

I have an AMD Athlon 3000+ with 512mb of ram and a Radeon X700.

i wonder if there is any ini file tweaks what could raise fps on older computers, there usually is on alot of pc games

Hi !

i was browsing biki page, and i found that:

arma.exe -maxmem=(MB)

Usually, my game session eat 350 380MB of central ram and 400MB of video ram. my comp has 2GB ram...

With -maxmem=1024 , my session reach now 800MB in central ram and the casual 400MB of vid rame. it seem i have less HDD access (less microfreeze while loading scene object) so i think it's a good tweak.

i tried first the value 1536. but my game crashed. so i reduced it to 1024, no problem yet.

yay.gif

ps: report us your result !

You need to give the people some time to test the values.

For me, I have to wait til thursday or maybe friday for my SE and my new hardware to arrive, before I can tell you how that tweak works out for me.

Wonder what value might be right for 1 Gig of ram?

1gig ram ?

count what ? 200MB for system ? if you close all apps ,you can dedicated maybe 750Mo 800Mo to arma.

in this case , i would say -maxmem=750 biggrin_o.gif

taskon7.th.gif

here my exact arma session after 15 minutes of custom mission spectating with helo insertion , in town SOMATO .

2000M viewdistance. Vram is 400MB as i said.

lol why have you photoshop opened while playing arma or firefox icon_rolleyes.gif

because my comp has 2Go ram.

icon_rolleyes.gif

i dont care much about launched software. my total system load on this screen is 1375MB.

600MB of physic ram are still free icon_rolleyes.gif

look !

(between , i dont have any HDD swap enable)

what do you mean ? whistle.gif

do you realize that my comp run 2GB , but arma use only 400 ? with -maxmem parameter , central ram usage go up to 850MB ...

i call it "optimized" whistle.gif

I mean, I close all Programs which I don't need.

I "just" have 1 GB of Ram, but opened programs always need abit from the processor. And the more free Ram you have, the better it is.

wink_o.gif

greets Evers

I mean, I close all Programs which I don't need.

I "just" have 1 GB of Ram, but opened programs always need abit from the processor. And the more free Ram you have, the better it is.

wink_o.gif

greets Evers

you have 1gig !

the day when you will installed one other , you will understand.

often, 500 or 600MB are still free. so i can let my software run. it's not a problem. wink_o.gif

when photoshop loose focus , it doesnt eat too much cpu .

it's negligeable.

and especially , for ram usage , use my tweak !

-maxmem=700 yay.gif

I will test that command as soon as I have my SE.

1GB are still enough for me and todays games, standart, but sure the time will come when I have to buy a new PC.

I will test that command as soon as I have my SE.

1GB are still enough for me and todays games, standart, but sure the time will come when I have to buy a new PC.

Yes, sure, when 1GB ram is too less, you need to buy a whole new pc smile_o.gif

Gonna test the command aswell tonight smile_o.gif

i wonder if there is any ini file tweaks what could raise fps on older computers, there usually is on alot of pc games

the only file you can edit concerning your graphical settings is Arma.cfg in your 'my documents\arma\' folder, I think. But it isn't very helpful:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=9615.000000;

Resolution_W=1024;

Resolution_H=768;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

refresh=60;

FSAA=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId=<*zipp*>;

localVRAM=122679296;

nonlocalVRAM=257949695;

if there are any extra options to put in this file that someone knows about and that might cause a performance gain, please post it here! smile_o.gif

P4 2.4Ghz 400FSB - ie old

1Gb PC133 SDram - again old

X1600 Pro 512Mb - compartivley new

Everything on low, bar shadows which are off, and blood which is on high.

1024*768*32 @ 75Mhz

runs mainly ~25FPS and looks great, highest 37FPs lowest 15FPS, all on-line coop missions as thats all I play.

Tried it on 800*600 but I gianed maybe 2-3FPS and lost a chunk of quality.

Very playable yay.gif

lol why have you photoshop opened while playing arma or firefox icon_rolleyes.gif

Were you thinking the same thing as I was?

whistle.gif  whistle.gif  whistle.gif

One of our members "astrix" has posted his Performance Tweaking experiences, and I thought you guys would like to have a look.

Check it out HERE

That "article" makes me a very happy camper. Will be getting a 7900GTO (all be it the MSI version) around xmas, and Astrix's performance with the card really boosts my confidence. Really getting quite excited about ArmA now biggrin_o.gif

someone said -dxlevel 8 works, also can hdr be turned off?

the -dxlevel 8 thing is complete BS, that rumour was already put down by Placebo.

As for HDR, I dont think you can turn it off, but it can be scaled back by setting post processing to very low.