Sign in to follow this  
Avimimus

Helicopters in AA

@ Mobius

The pilot considered flight sims actually harder to fly than rl aircraft because certain sensations were not (or not properly) implemented in games. He mentioned things like the weight of the aircraft, vibrations, the feeling of the joystick, certain issues with limited viewing, wind, clouds. etc.

Very good point. Because of this limitations we never can get a 100% real battlesim and because of those e.g. a minimap in BF2 has sense because it compensates those limitations (e.g. real world orientation vs. looking on a 2D monitor)!

I saw (on TV) a professional F1 pilot (Schumacher) driving a F1 PC-simulation. Even in an authentic cockpit he didn't get one curve correctly!

Thus, the flightmodel as to be adapted to gameworld and game developer are aware of this problem AND I think BIS is donig a good job with this 'till now.

People say that this isn’t a flight sim. That’s true, its not. But it isn’t just an infantry simulator either. It’s a Combat simulator; that means realistic planes, helicopters, tanks, boats, weapons and environments.

Exactly! If you wanna make an allround combat simulation, you need to make all it's parts as realistic as possible, or at least make-believe-realistic. If you don't, you don't even need to bother, because we already have an arcade game called "Battlefield 2". wink_o.gif

Thankfully Bohemia Interactive seem to be agreeing with me. yay.gif

So I finally got patched to 1.02 and I have to say its 10 times better than before. Is it realistic? Not really but now we actually have positive control of the aircraft instead of just altering our course to the scene of the crash.

Dallas - please be quiet.

There are many people who would like to see ArmA slowly become a simulator.

Am sure that BIS wants the same thing, just the problem is, that average hardware isn't good enought yet.

But the future is bright.... direct x 10 coming will mean a brand new level of graphics quality, all dx10 graphics card are integrating physics coprocesors into them, so physics will be must easier to create, and these are just first versions of dx10 hardware that have been released yet.

So 5 -10 years and youll have what you want wink_o.gif

Bollocks! There's no technological excuse why ArmA couldn't have simulated aircraft, armor and radar & various weapons systems at least semi-properly instead of throwing the towel in right away and doing an OFP 1Ë: Middle-life GFX Upgrade, "Including the long awaited trigger finger animation, a lot less vehicles and all-new hilarious bugs!"

IMO the new flight model is worse than 1.00 flight model. i find the ah-iz sluggish, previously i could do some pretty fast manouvers but now i can´t. it takes even longer than before to do a 180ş turn.

I made a video of me flying that mission. Really can't see any issue there:

Lol, sorry but a single man with PK would shoot you down at once during your hoover beside the convoy.

Lol, sorry but a single man with PK would shoot you down at once during your hoover beside the convoy.

I know. But I wasn't showing combat tactics, I was showing maneuverability of the 1.02 controls. I suppose a few people got that. You didn't, obviously. wink_o.gif

So guys would you say that you are 100% happy with the current way of flying ? Would you not want a more controllable way of lying helo's?

IMO the new flight model is worse than 1.00 flight model. i find the ah-iz sluggish, previously i could do some pretty fast manouvers but now i can´t. it takes even longer than before to do a 180ş turn.

That is probably because BIS have made it MORE realistic!  wink_o.gif

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed in the AI response to the presence of a hovering enemy chopper within a stones throw of a grenade! They didn't even dive for cover!  xmas_o.gif

Now, I realise that this is a faulty generalization, but this video makes what I've seen of the arma flight model seem pretty good!

http://www.videosift.com/video....icopter

But notice how the centre of the roll axis (and all other axes) is actually about halfway through the helicopter at its centre of gravity, rather than outside of it in the rotors like ArmA. I wonder if the high centre of roll and such serves a purpose in the flight model.

Excellent example of flight dynamics.

BIS take a look at this and let our littlebirds fly the same please.

thumbs-up.gif

I'll be damned! Choppers CAN do barrel rolls! Never seen that before. I knew they could do loopings, depending on the model of chopper, but this is amazing.

Okay, now I'm even more happy with the flight model. smile_o.gif

Now now, just because one helicopters can doesn't mean they all can. Some will break their rotors if they put a negative load on them, etc.

So guys would you say that you are 100% happy with the current way of flying ? Would you not want a more controllable way of lying helo's?

well, if we would...this topic wouldn't have so many pages wink_o.gif

I guess there's always room for improvement but since focus of OFP/ArmA has always been more on infantry combat, I'd say flight model is pretty good after you redefine control mappings so that rudder and bank are not connected.

I guess there's always room for improvement but since focus of OFP/ArmA has always been more on infantry combat, I'd say flight model is pretty good after you redefine control mappings so that rudder and bank are not connected.

Could you please explain how to do this, shorlty? Didn't find a documentation for that by now.

Excellent example of flight dynamics.

BIS take a look at this and let our littlebirds fly the same please.

thumbs-up.gif

With a joystick and some practice you can do most of those maneuovers with the new flight model.

And I agree with feersum. This is an infantry simulator with usable vehicles and aircraft. This isn't FSX with usable infantry. I would have been ok with the old flight model, but with the new patched version I'm fine if they never touch it again as right now, for a FPS, it's good enough.

select left peddle and twist your joystick.

Right, do the same.

I still find that rudder control is ineffective when moving forward with any speed at all nd it flys like an airplane.

The throttle control is very slow to react also. Any tips on getting this AA chopper to fly beautifully like in OFP?

select left peddle and twist your joystick.

Right, do the same.

I still find that rudder control is ineffective when moving forward with any speed at all nd it flys like an airplane.

The throttle control is very slow to react also. Any tips on getting this AA chopper to fly beautifully like in OFP?

It's a lil better than before,you can use rudder to a bit hiugher speed. It's normal that rudder loses efficiency when you go high speed. The "speed limit" for rudder currently is

1) too "sharp", it kicks in all of a sudden, it's all or nothing, there should be an in-between situation imho

2) too low, one shouldn't lose efficiency at such a low speed

Well i did some practice myself yesterday (although i still don't have proper joystcik settings..sensitivity), but so far i must say, once you do a day of practice (quick landings, high turn manouvers etc) i'm starting to like it a lot...almost made a prefect backflip with the UH60. But somehow i feel the trust (up/down) doesn't have enough power.

Overall i'm very happy with the new fly-behavior (realistic or not). It just needs some practice. What helps me a lot is the autohover ON/OFF defined on the stick (buttons). In trobble hit it and it will give you controle again in case you lost it.

<Edit: Ah and the trudder works indeed..although it is 'lock' to the banking at speeds >0. Like i said, it needs practise, but it works good. Hard to explain and not sure it is realistic, but it helps to straight the heli out of banking in turns.

but so far i must say, once you do a day of practice (quick landings, high turn manouvers etc) i'm starting to like it a lot

i'm not saying anything on 'realism' but the quote is typical

Any tips on getting this AA chopper to fly beautifully like in OFP?

I still dont have a clue why in the world they changed the helo characteristics.

And its the same with a lot of other stuff in AA they have changed for the worse.

If it aint broke dont fix it I should say.

But BIS has prolly a good reason to do so. huh.gif

I still dont have a clue why in the world they changed the helo characteristics.

And its the same with a lot of other stuff in AA they have changed for the worse.

Between "we want OFP back!" and "We want realistic choppers", you can guess BI is quite confused by what community wants, tbh.

Between "we want OFP back!" and "We want realistic choppers", you can guess BI is quite confused by what community wants, tbh.

Well said !!