Sign in to follow this  
celoush

Armed Assault videos

I guess firing the gun from within the tank is not possible. But I feel you would go to any length to protect the tank and using the Anit aircraft 12.7mm NSV as a forceful derrent againt direct attacks might prove useful. The question of survivability is something else though.

While an attack helicopter is flying around you, you will most likely not want to turn out to fire a machine gun.

Hellfires (and equivalents) will be fired at you from well beyond your own effective range, and near misses with FFARs as well as the minigun are far more dangerous while turned out.

You can't fire the external turret gun from inside, but you still have the internal turret coax MG - you better stick with this one and its supperior optics and better stability while the battlefield is hot.

Did they fly the helicopter with keyboard/mouse or joystick?

For me, it looks like "too high sensitivity" for whatever they used to fly the chopper.

MfG Lee

For those not thinking the the helos envelope is proper.  You should do a bit of research.

on the Apache.. can't find a Cobra doing aerobatics banghead.gif

The flight dynamics are at least in the ballpark for posibility.. biggrin_o.gif

Did they fly the helicopter with keyboard/mouse or joystick?

For me, it looks like "too high sensitivity" for whatever they used to fly the chopper.

MfG Lee

Possibly, but handling should be the same no matter what the controller!

But the positive I got out of watching the new flight model at work was the fact that the AI seem to be able to fly beautifully! biggrin_o.gif

There is an elegance about the way they fly. I hope that we don't have to compromise too much if and when they decide to tweak the flight model.

Quote[/b] ]Yep! I've just had another look at that MI17 vid and the chopper vids from armedassault.eu. I certainly don't like the new chopper dynamics, they appear to have no weight, it just doesn't look right! I hope it gets patched! OFP was much better than this!

could not agree more, this reminds me soo much of a community members helo, he tried to move the center of gravity and other things, it is a complete mess sad_o.gif.

of course between now and q1 for 505 area anything can happen, calling all beta testers with german accents pls ready yourselves your up next smile_o.gif.

While an attack helicopter is flying around you, you will most likely not want to turn out to fire a machine gun.

Hellfires (and equivalents) will be fired at you from well beyond your own effective range, and near misses with FFARs as well as the minigun are far more dangerous while turned out.

You have a Cobra flying about in your area, you know it's armed with long range ATGMs, you know your chances of survival are slim, so what are you gonna do? Sit there and wait for the Hellfire to flame-grill you and your crew, or are you gonna take your chances with a lucky/suppressive volley of 12.7mm slugs? icon_rolleyes.gifwink_o.gif

Try piloting in OFP without a joystick and then try it with a keyboard,unless they changed it to be like the usual these days,mouse and keyboard combined,mouse being control and keyboard being used to turn and ascend and descend,the handling will be different.

Hmm..lets see..I have an enemy helicopter flying around me but not really doing anything,then I have an enemy tank infront of me,I don't know about you but I value my life a bit more than that,I'd wait till the enemy tank is out of action and then maybe open fire once my driver has hidden the tank,either way,armor is usually fodder for AH's.

For those not thinking the the helos envelope is proper. You should do a bit of research.

That Bo105 behaved like a Bo105, and even though it is a light and highly manoeuvrable chopper it was still not twitchy in anyway near the same way as that MI17 video!

Interesting vid though, just misses the point! smile_o.gif

PS. meyamoti, I used to fly with mouse/keyboard/joystick depending on my mood! I never noticed choppers suddenly changing their dynamics though! Guess we shall have to wait and see! smile_o.gif

Shadak, that clip is exactly what we mean. Thank you very much for the clarification - your efforts are much appreciated.

In terms of the chopper handling - I think you'd be surprised at what a chopper can do, regardless of size. Playing a few chopper sims (like EE:CH) might give you a better idea of how choppers are supposed to handle. One thing's for sure - they sure as hell don't handle as they do in vanilla OFP. The handling of the Mi-17, no matter how satisfyingly bulky it is to use, does not reflect reality. On the other hand, the Mi-17 video of ArmA does make it look as though they are overly light and sensitive, although I suspect that might be excessive rudder abuse!

My oh my/dear oh dear sad_o.gif

I only had to watch 30 seconds of that Mi-17 video... I couldn't stand it anymore.

Those flight dynamics are really poor in my opinion, especially compared to OFP's. It's like there's an invisible pole stuck through the Mi-17 and it just pivots around it, there's no sense of fluid movement, no sense of gravity, no sense of aerodynamic forces... I thought exactly the same when I saw the Cobra video yesterday, so unfortunately it looks like the whole game's flight physics engine is flawed,and not limited to a particular chopper sad_o.gif

Hmm..lets see..I have an enemy helicopter flying around me but not really doing anything,then I have an enemy tank infront of me,I don't know about you but I value my life a bit more than that,I'd wait till the enemy tank is out of action and then maybe open fire once my driver has hidden the tank,either way,armor is usually fodder for AH's.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Obviously I'm referring to a tank vs a chopper scenario, not a tank vs a tank and a chopper. It's pretty ****ing obvious what you'd do if faced with that situation icon_rolleyes.gif

Will certainly be interesting to try out the choppers. The way they jump about in the vids looks like someone trying to fly with time acceleration on in OFP crazy_o.gif

One thing I would like to know is whether you can bind the rudder controls to the keyboard, which you couldn't do in OFP.

I'd get the Tank driver to get us in some sort of cover, bushes and what not, then pop the commander hatch open, stay low and start laying down some suppressive fire, coordinating with the other tanks to try and triangulate the fire at the helo, giving it more targets and a sense of danger that will disorientate it tounge2.gif

In terms of the chopper handling - I think you'd be surprised at what a chopper can do, regardless of size. Playing a few chopper sims (like EE:CH) might give you a better idea of how choppers are supposed to handle. One thing's for sure - they sure as hell don't handle as they do in vanilla OFP. The handling of the Mi-17, no matter how satisfyingly bulky it is to use, does not reflect reality. On the other hand, the Mi-17 video of ArmA does make it look as though they are overly light and sensitive, although I suspect that might be excessive rudder abuse!

I know somebody who is a highly experienced real life chopper pilot, qualified on more types than you can shake a stick at, who was in my OFP squad, and he said on numerous occasions that he thought OFP's chopper flight engine was more realistic than Microsoft's FS engine, that OFP's simulation was the most realistic he'd seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ysmZL_mlU

Mi-17 in action. At about 1:10 into the video, you can witness the Hip banking. Notice how the airframe is subjected to the centrifugal force that pulls it away from the centre of its rotation. This is a physical phenoma that is now, at last, reflected in the OFP chopper's flight model. This is infinitely more realistic, and of huge benefit to the chopper enthusiast. I can't see a problem with it, to be honest.

EDIT: RE: Shashman - really? OFP's chopper flight model is generally regarded as completely inaccurate, but I'll bow to your friend's first hand experience on this one.

Quote[/b] ]Mi-17 in action. At about 1:10 into the video,

you gone to farr , look at between 39 - 45 seconds that helo in real life would weigh maybe 2 kilos , that is the pysics that worry me , in ofp it would feel like a mi-17 should a big helo dosent move 40 degrees left and 40 right in less than a second, its to responsive

that kinda movement especially in mp with a lil pingage and desync ,would kill a whole cargo and any map sad_o.gif.

EDIT: RE: Shashman - really? OFP's chopper flight model is generally regarded as completely inaccurate, but I'll bow to your friend's first hand experience on this one.

Well he's flown the Mi-17 and a few other Russian choppers, like the KA-32 (in fact he was trained in Russia on these), he owns his own chopper, so yeah, you can bet your life that he knows what he's talking about tounge2.gif

O.k. Saw the video. (the MI-17. not the cobra) It does need to add quite a bit of mass. Not a problem for a patch. I'm going to assume it's just something that got missed, or BIS ran out of time going gold. smile_o.gif

pistols.gif*Crack* *Crack* *Crack* biggrin_o.gif

This effect is certainly going to add to the immersion factor. Thanks for the videos Shadak thumbs-up.gif

At least now you'll be able to better register when you are being fired at and how close the shots are getting.

To quote from Black Hawk Down:

Grime: Why aren't you shooting?

Waddell: We're not being shot at yet!

Grimes: How can you tell?

Waddell: A hiss means it's close. If you hear a pop, then-now they're shooting at us! wink_o.gif

Nice vids as always, Shadak. Much appreciated. It's strange to think that they went to the point of including finger animations but we still retain the static fixed gun positions from OFP. Still, I can live with that.

How about some more vids of the AI, Shadak? Perhaps some video of flying? There's been a lot of talk about that lately, maybe you could enlighten us?