Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

Vietnam: The Experience v0.3

Gave it a quick try and i have found the following 2 bugs.(might just be me though :P)

i get no entry model special error with any american standard AT soldier. (m16/law) also with the M113.

anyone else getting these or is it just me??

everything else that i've tested is great.

nice work

Tested around the "Vietnam Intro" island... seems very interesting so far. So much to test! tounge2.gif Couple of points that have risen so far...

CH-53. Model is a tad old, it has no armament (did Stallions in 'Nam have M60s?) and it's very manouverable/unstable. Or is that just to model real-life choppers, constant input etc.?

Heads. Yes, they look nice, I still wonder a tad, though, why you used the v1 of the head model. Also, sometimes the guys seem to have no eyes. Also, few times, especially when starting to play first time after placing the units, they had BIS default texture mapped onto them. crazy_o.gif

Cheers for the stuff though, got to visit GOL server when I have time! Like WGL but with 60's-70's units... wink_o.gif

Heads. Yes, they look nice, I still wonder a tad, though, why you used the v1 of the head model. Also, sometimes the guys seem to have no eyes. Also, few times, especially when starting to play first time after placing the units, they had BIS default texture mapped onto them. crazy_o.gif

Because they were started long before June when the new head was released.

No eyes? Odd. I don't plan on doing any fixes to them with Armas coming, but if you could post a pic it might be nice as I've never seen that. Is it just one unit all the time or is it random?

Yes, there is a bug in there somewhere that will give a placed ai unit a BIS head, but very rarely. I never could find where it happens in the main config.

I like it alot but most of the bigger missions including the ones in the campaigns i cant play because my FPS drops far to low to even aim the rifle properly, does anyone eles get this? I have all the latest drivers for my GFX card and sound card plus i installed the VTE mod using the guide on there homepage.

My system specs...

Intel Core 2 6300 OC ed to 2.2ghz

Geforce 7800 gt PCI express OC ed.

2 gig DDR2 pc4200 ram

Sound Blaster 2

Windows XP home edition.

160 gig HD (Defragged twice a week)

There has to be something wrong with your OFP setup.  I run this on a laptop with a 1.6 centrino dual, 1 Gig ram, and an nvidia go7400 and it's playable, with dxdll. I'm not sure if this has been explained, but why no blood textures on the faces...? Obviously it takes a lot of time to do this, but just curious! ...and white bullet puffs?

Quote[/b] ]Will this work with FFUR 2006?

No.

Quote[/b] ]most of the bigger missions including the ones in the campaigns i cant play because my FPS drops far to low to even aim the rifle properly

Can you give me few example missions that are heavy in your system?

I do recall that PMC Jungle Patrol is somewhat heavy on the CPU, but I think its tweaked to run smoother on v0.3 not sure. PMC NAM SEAL campaign I think the Vietnam 25km missions might be bit heavy, its been long time since I test played them. Those are the two most obvious that came in mind.

Quote[/b] ]CH-53. Model is a tad old

What other models is out there what would you suggest to use?

Quote[/b] ]it has no armament (did Stallions in 'Nam have M60s?)

Have to check that out, good point.

Quote[/b] ]and it's very manouverable/unstable. Or is that just to model real-life choppers, constant input etc.?

Not really. I'll make a note of the unstability and perhaps we can tweak it for the next version. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote[/b] ]i get no entry model special error with any american standard AT soldier. (m16/law) also with the M113.

Hmm perhaps you run corrupted JAM 3 installation or simply JAM 2 which is old version? Would be good idea to check.

Quote[/b] ]and white bullet puffs?

Those are visible to most far away, I'll hope to tweak these so they arent completely pure-white. Any suggestions for color values to use?

'm not sure if this has been explained, but why no blood textures on the faces...? Obviously it takes a lot of time to do this, but just curious!

Time whistle.gif

Seriously it was just too much work. At first they just used facetex2 textures, but I switched and just never found the time.

Also face blood textures never were a big issue for me. I spent the time on customizing the random helmets that are in the face textures and other things.

I'm having problems with the campaigns... they seem to lack a bit of... functionality. have they been tested at all? the visual works are very fine.

Quote[/b] ]PMC NAM SEAL campaign I think the Vietnam 25km missions might be bit heavy

That was the campaign i was playing it was fine on the first missions i had no lag but on the 2nd mission the night base attack i could hardly play because it was so choppy. Another mission that was really bad the Tet Offensive mission where you attack a U.S base with an NVA platoon.

PIle.

i have no radio sounds help.gif

maybe cos they're not supposed to even be there... idk

gotta give a big hand to War Of Vietnam campaign... in the second mission I didn't even get to the LZ and Mission Completed was splashed right on the screen and the following cutscene got stuck to 2 burning T-55 notworthy.gif

Why is it the M16a1 uses 20 round HD mags? I know why the 20 rounds, but why HD rounds? It also sounds rather like JAM2.

Allright, here's a few things I've been having on my mind concerning the latest release:

1. It's great that it existst and gets upgraded consequently. The newest version is splendid in many a detail and it's a pleasure to play it - most often.

2. I feel a bit disappointed with the removal of voice commands; I know that it makes the experience more realistic especially when it comes to the 'Nam war and humping the boondocks but unless you implement into the mod something like a GB hand signal addon that enables the player to turn either to voice or gesture mode of issuing commands we have a war ot telepaths - it's not much realistic, is it? ...

3. I took a look at the units and the squad organisation; the ARVN have still the WASP names and surnames whereas the VC and the NVA regulars got it changed into Vietnamese ones ... I think they all were Vietnamese, right? ...

3. The MFR patrols and SEAL teams have the designated pointman, but he doesn't pull point at all whether on the move or in position.

4. I tried one of the missions in its updated form; it was the "Ride of the Valkyries" due to the sentiment I share - this was one of the very first mission for me to play when I installed the SEBNAM pack a couple of years ago. A funny and confusing thing to observe: we unleashed hell and laid a fierce fire onto the ground and the enemy didn't engege us at all - and it went on like that , them sitting ducks and us doing the turkey shooting until I got downed by our very own chopper.

5. It's great that you have taken care of so many tiny details like an SOG recon team member carrying an AK and having an apparently Asian appearance, for instance.

6. I got rid of half of the missions at least at the very beginning; some of them truly do not deserve to be incorporated into such a great mod - it's a waste of time and energy. And some of those that I had decided to keep remains nonfunctional indeed - I had tried to play the "Mercyful Fate" campaign from the 2.0 release, but I stuck at the third mission; I was ordered to obtain a radio, but there was none, my team didn't join me and I went ona amission alone which put me off. I resolved to wait until it gets tweaked in the forthcoming release - yesterday I dared to find out if anything has changed that far, but it hasn't at all - or I am missiong something which is not very likely.

Overall, it's a thing of wonder that we have such a comprehensive Vietnamese modification. The only pity is that there are few good missions and campaigns to play with.

Cheers.

nener.gifnener.gif

Quote[/b] ]i get no entry model special error with any american standard AT soldier. (m16/law) also with the M113.

Hmm perhaps you run corrupted JAM 3 installation or simply JAM 2 which is old version? Would be good idea to check.

lol i did check that and it was jam3 that i had installed but i thought what the hell deleted redownloaded it and installed into the addons folder.

fired up VTE 0.3 and everything was fine biggrin_o.gif

I won't even try to speak on behalf of VTE or try to explain Snake's reasoning for doing things, but I'll give you my personal opinion.

Quote[/b] ]3. I took a look at the units and the squad organisation; the ARVN have still the WASP names and surnames whereas the VC and the NVA regulars got it changed into Vietnamese ones ... I think they all were Vietnamese, right? ...

From editing the names I can tell you right now it was a pain. Viet last and first names from the info I found when editing them, are reversed, so replacing all the names was not easy. Also to your point, names are either east, west, res, or civ if I remember right. So units on west such as ARVN get west names. No fix for that as I'm not sure you can define custom names. Probably can, but I couldn't.

Quote[/b] ]3. The MFR patrols and SEAL teams have the designated pointman, but he doesn't pull point at all whether on the move or in position.

You have to make them do it yourself if you are team leader or script it if your not. It's not possible to have it done by default without scripting. Just tell your pointman to "advance" and he'll always be out in front until you tell him to return to formation.

Quote[/b] ]

6. I got rid of half of the missions at least at the very beginning; some of them truly do not deserve to be incorporated into such a great mod - it's a waste of time and energy.

Snake hates me at times I'm sure when I complain about VTE being TOO big.

I totally agree with you about the missions as I have no idea what most of them do or if they are any good.

I know with the first VTE Snake compiled all Nam era missions and addons to just be in one DL. Then as things got updated instead of culling not so perfect ones the total number just got bigger. To be backward compatible was the reason I think. He'll answer this I'm sure. I personally would have trashed the majority, but that would have caused other issues I'm sure. I've yet to even look at 90% of them sad_o.gif Too many to go through to find 2-3 I like. It's the same with most of the mod. A lot of things made years ago that may be of the period, but really not needed for gameplay. But thats just my personal opinion, but you do get a lot of toys to play with.

Quote[/b] ]Overall, it's a thing of wonder that we have such a comprehensive Vietnamese modification. The only pity is that there are few good missions and campaigns to play with.

I agree. Again I would love to just have had 1 campaign and maybe 5-10 missions as long as they were well done rather than a huge list of missions that I will probably never look at.

BUT again I know why they were all kept and updated as best as he could.

Although you may not see it, he did an immense amount of work trying to fix as much as possible. I think there was just too much to try and fix, and very little time to get this out before ARMAS.

All things considered, Snake and Fred did a lot to get this out and overall did a great job.

Missions are the big problem our community had for many years now - like AvonLady said in her signature: so many custom addons, but no missions to play with them.

A new website is needed imo. All scripters should combine their mad scripting skills to design the one AUTO MISSION GENERATOR we all need for custom addons under ArmA.

A mission generator should work on every island, with every addon you want and without placing enemy units in the editor. Just place your homebase, the support groups you want (heli transports, long range ari, tank platoon) and play the mission.

smile_o.gif

Concerning the pointman - too right, I always do that when on a mission, especially when it's a special operation one; I didn't mean that it's a problem to me - I was just puzzled to see that there's a brand new unit assignment and the squad organisation yet it changes nothing in terms of gameplay and unit behaviour - I guess I was just hoping for something amazing, according to the quality of what I was testing. ... rofl.gif

I admire the superb job the mod team has done and the workloads put into creating that; not even a minute had I the intention to diminish it or condemn - the fact is that the people like me, the profiteers of somebody else's efforts subconsciously expect the best and moan when something does not meet fully their demands rofl.gif . If there's something great out, we tend to treat it as a normal thing that its so good and speak few words of gratitude. Myself I try to provide as much support and positive feedback as I am only able to but the fact is that a constructive criticism is also a type of positive feedback. All I ever write at the forums is aimed at getting everything better and better and not at malice or spoilsporting. I'm not a type of killjoy - I am just a Nam freak as always. crazy_o.gif

also, the m16a1s rate of fire is a good deal slower than it was in real life... also, if time allows, consider replacing things such as the mosin sniper and k98 with the lib ones, as the rest are already replaced.

Quote[/b] ]All scripters should combine their mad scripting skills to design the one AUTO MISSION GENERATOR we all need for custom addons under ArmA.

Don't want to go offtopic but, IMO the most close thing currently is GDCE (in the signature). Altough it's much simpler than the thing you're suggesting.

And about VTE bugs, Snake Man really worked hard on terminating them. I had his buglist, and it's considerably shortened by now. Or would people like to wait another 4 months for more (but not all) the bugs removed? It's HUGE and only a couple of people are working on it.

Thanks to the VTE crew!  yay.gif  Downloading now.  Now to get my hands on the Stoner 63.  biggrin_o.gif

GD Mast

Quote[/b] ]I'm having problems with the campaigns... they seem to lack a bit of... functionality. have they been tested at all?

Yes. Care to be more specific?

Quote[/b] ]2nd mission the night base attack i could hardly play because it was so choppy.

That must be PMC NAM 1965 campaign, you need to be careful with the names, I know I know they are very similar but still. I believe the PMC NAM 1965 third mission called Under Pressure where enemy is attacking your base, is this what you're talking about?

Quote[/b] ]Another mission that was really bad the Tet Offensive mission where you attack a U.S base with an NVA platoon.

Can you remember the mission name?

Quote[/b] ]War Of Vietnam campaign... in the second mission I didn't even get to the LZ and Mission Completed was splashed right on the screen and the following cutscene got stuck to 2 burning T-55

Okay I'll check this mission, thanks for letting me know.

Quote[/b] ]Why is it the M16a1 uses 20 round HD mags? why HD rounds?

Uhm, is this a trick question?

High Dispersion forever...

Quote[/b] ]It also sounds rather like JAM2.

You can change the JAM sounds, check JAM3 readme/topic here for details.

Quote[/b] ]I feel a bit disappointed with the removal of voice commands; I know that it makes the experience more realistic especially when it comes to the 'Nam war and humping the boondocks

Removing of the voices has nothing to do with realism. Its gameplay. I think its already explained enough times what the purpose of this feature.

Quote[/b] ]but unless you implement into the mod something like a GB hand signal addon that enables the player to turn either to voice or gesture mode of issuing commands we have a war ot telepaths - it's not much realistic, is it?

Err? Nothing has changed towards the AI, you still use OFP like you used to, giving commands to the AI, the commands and AI replies just are without voice and instant.

Quote[/b] ]the enemy didn't engege us at all - and it went on like that , them sitting ducks and us doing the turkey shooting

You're saying that Ride of the Valkyries is broken, East/gook AI wont fire West/your troops?

Quote[/b] ]"Mercyful Fate" campaign from the 2.0 release, but I stuck at the third mission; I was ordered to obtain a radio, but there was none, my team didn't join me and I went ona amission alone

Thanks, I'll look into this.

Quote[/b] ]I resolved to wait until it gets tweaked in the forthcoming release - yesterday I dared to find out if anything has changed that far, but it hasn't at all - or I am missiong something which is not very likely.

Did you report this bug in VTE v0.2 version?

Quote[/b] ]redownloaded it and installed into the addons folder. fired up VTE 0.3 and everything was fine

Excellent, I'm glad its working. Enjoy.

Quote[/b] ]A new website is needed imo.

Oh you think? biggrin_o.gif

Nah I kind of like it, its no bullshit gimme the facts + download. Oh man do I hate those ridiculous sites where you go to download some file, and you have to browse UP TO FOUR clicks before the download starts and even this is some goddamn carbled link which cannot be used with wget etc. I am so sick of those kind of sites.

But yeah, I think we'll add something bit more than basic text to VTE page at some point. But as long as I'm breathing there is not going to be any 1gb flashmovie horror web page made smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]the m16a1s rate of fire is a good deal slower than it was in real life...

Well then the blame goes to JAM3 configuration. How fast would the fire rate be in real life?

Quote[/b] ]consider replacing things such as the mosin sniper and k98 with the lib ones

I wrote that down and consider it for next version.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, keep it coming as its the most effective way to improve Vietnam: The Experience!

No, I really do want to know why the US are using high dispersion rounds...

Because HD mags are used for all units. You can easily change it if you do not like it. Many don't so I understand.

Fair enough. I just can't be arsed to go through each single/multi mission and edit it so that it's using normal rounds.

Pretty nice pack with a great selection of addons,

Quote[/b] ]Those are visible to most far away, I'll hope to tweak these so they arent completely pure-white. Any suggestions for color values to use?

The higher your transparence value will be, the less opaque the color would be in-game.

Quote[/b] ] cloudletColor[] = {0.325,0.321,0.26,"random",<span style='color:red'>1</span>};

class Table

{

class T0

{

maxT=0;

color[]={0.325,0.323,0.16,"random",<span style='color:red'>1</span>};

};

class T5

{

maxT=500;

color[]={0.3265,0.323,0.16,"random",<span style='color:red'>1</span>};

};

class T10

{

maxT=1000;

color[]={0.3265,0.323,0.16,"random",<span style='color:red'>1</span>};

};

Quote[/b] ]No, I really do want to know why the US are using high dispersion rounds...

Certainly to make combat more interesting, immersive and intense imo.

regards,

Thunderbird