Sign in to follow this  
chipper

Online Distribution System - Confirmed

The post says ONLINE distribution, not the specific vendor to do so. For all you know they may offer it on Direct2Drive, which doesn't use STEAM.

There are many forms of online distribution and Steam is just one of them- thats what I like to call very narrow vision.

I will be buying it in the form that makes it the quickest available. So if its online I won't mind getting it through that. And by the way, you don't need Steam to run Red Orchestra ; ).

Regards,

Raynor

Steam or not, it's still a huge pain in the arse to have to download it. In my opinion, it cheapens the game not having a hard copy.

With Lan, its alot cheaper just to swap the Cds over once the game has loaded.

Guest Ti0n3r

Oh yeeeees me so happiii!!! This made my day notworthy.gif

Steam or not, it's still a huge pain in the arse to have to download it. In my opinion, it cheapens the game not having a hard copy.

With Lan, its alot cheaper just to swap the Cds over once the game has loaded.

You seems to fail to understood that ONLINE DISTRIBUTION is additional option to RETAIL distribution ...

online distribution is for these who can and wish to use it over retail , it gives higher and faster income to game developer ...

in fact, several games were able cover RETAIL expenses from first online only distribution ...

btw. nothing prevent You to "backup" downloaded files to CD/DVD/FLASH w/e you can imagine and use ...

yay.gif

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...

If someone can't DL it because they don't have broadband, maybe BIS will choose a option which will allow someone's buddy to DL, BURN, then share the e-love.

pistols.gif

It's nice to see that people are exited from this info, i'm too you-know!

Being tough "box guy", but still i just have to... yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

P.S. Who actually said anything about steam? WTF!? Why does everyone automatically associate digital distribution with steam!?

Dear DrBobcat,

They are just newbies to the digital world. Give their handicap a chance, buddy biggrin_o.gif

I wounldn't really want ArmA to be dependent off of another flashy program if it is going to be digitally distributed. As long as I can back it up onto a mobile/external hard drive or a DVDROM without hassle of 3rd rate crap, I will be relieved.

Quote[/b] ]You seems to fail to understood that ONLINE DISTRIBUTION is additional option to RETAIL distribution ...
No, as far as I understand it the countries not listed in the 'confirmed release date' list will only have the online option available to them.

I prefer a box aswell, having an online distribution option is nice but not if it is the only option available. Since a global distributor is not going to happen I suggest that BIS will find a way to at least distribute the boxed game via online shops. These shops can usually take more of a risk than ordinary shops in that their initial inventory can be very low when they doubt the success of a game. When demand grows they can raise their inventory as needed.

This leaves the problem of how BIS can take over the role of the distributor in the distribution to online shops. I suggest to sign contracts with a few (maybe even one) major online shops per country. With these contracts in hand, go to the distributors that BIS already have a contract with and ask them to produce a extra copies of the game, for a little extra ofcourse wink_o.gif. Then, hire some truckers and trucks and send the extra copies to the online distributors that you have made a contract with.

This is only a rough outline of a plan but I think it is the best BIS can do at the present situation. If they fail to provide a boxed version option to their consumers chances are that ARMA will become a fiasco.

If online distribution will be available more than a week before the retail box, I'll be happy to skip the plastics.

I've broken my OFP CD a few months after I've bought it, and f*** u* distributor in my country didn't want to replace it for me, so I rather have "download again" option :P

mmmm, maybe bis could include on the download an high resolution image of the front and rear of the box, and even of the cd, so everybody can print this and put it in a box smile_o.gif

I very much like online distrubution, assuming it doesn't create problems for modders and such. It's far far quicker and easier for me to get a D2D game than to go to the store. Seriously, it's faster. I've never had a problem with online distrobution to date, in fact not having a CD is nice.

I understand that boxed copies are still in demand and they will still be produced, but I'm glad BIS is giving people the option.

Quote[/b] ]You seems to fail to understood that ONLINE DISTRIBUTION is additional option to RETAIL distribution ...
No, as far as I understand it the countries not listed in the 'confirmed release date' list will only have the online option available to them.

Read again.

Quote[/b] ].. but we will also be arranging for ArmA to be distributed digitally online so that people who choose to can pay online and then download ArmA direct to their PC.

There's no "how I understand it". There's just a couple of simple, straightforward facts in that message of Placebo:

a) People can download ArmA if they want to.

b) BIS will try to sign with publishers in order to get ArmA into stores in all regions. Now what are the chances of getting a local publisher to sell the direct successor of OFP? Not exactly slim, I'd say.

c) There's a couple of countries for which BIS already found a publisher. That doesn't mean there won't be any others.

I'm all up for online Distribution as long as I can get my mits on Armed Assault faster! But I am not to sure on downloading 3Gb of game... will take all night.

But still, a mistake for BIS, that I am positive.

Edit: Ok not all night but I can't stand the suspense of downloading armed assault for about four hours. Those four hours will be the longest of my life!

@Anders^on

I stand corrected on the fact that BIS has not ruled out boxed distribution in the countries not listed in the 'confirmed release date' thread. However, it has become increasingly clear to me that BIS has been unable to generate demand for their product with major publishers. The reason for that is not important right now but the evidence is clear:

- no worldwide publisher

- The only countries where ArmA is being published in a box are in Europe and most of these have a border with the Chech republic.

It is very unlikely that BIS will be able to secure the needed publishing contracts before November. Even though they might TRY, as you pointed out, they will likely fail to succeed because noone (except for their fanbase) wants their product. They might be able to secure some contracts but don't expect a landslide in such a short period. That has led me to conclude that most of us outside the 'confirmed' release area will be limited to downloading the product.

I very much like online distrubution, assuming it doesn't create problems for modders and such. It's far far quicker and easier for me to get a D2D game than to go to the store. Seriously, it's faster. I've never had a problem with online distrobution to date, in fact not having a CD is nice.

I understand that boxed copies are still in demand and they will still be produced, but I'm glad BIS is giving people the option.

Please stay AWAY from Direct2Download for online distribution! The differences between their files and the retail versions have caused me nothing but trouble when trying to play online, and they completely ignored my emails requesting help.

I will absolutely go for an online distribution (must be english) as that will be the quickest way to get my hands on ArmA, as the Netherlands doesn't have a publisher, like most countries........ sad_o.gif

I will also buy the the plastic box...... when it ever comes to the stores around here....

BIS good luck with signing publishers!

I too hope download distribution isn't linked to some BS third part protection crap like STEAM.

You just get a serial number or code, which you register with BIS, in your name with your password.

Without the code ya can't download patches or updates, maybe even "official addons".

I don't have broadband, normally stuck with GSM wireless. But I'll damn sure check into a motel with DSL to get Armd Assault!

Cheaper than flying to Prague. rofl.gif

People with slow internet could order it from europe if they don't want to wait 2 days to download it.

But that ain't a problem for me! biggrin_o.gif 15Mbps download speeds, thank you fiber optic high speed internet!!!

I live here in canada and i hope this comes out in box form here ebcause i cant downlaod stuff from online that costs mony because i dont ahve a credit card and my parents dont trust putting a card number online, so it beter come out in box because alot of people ahve same problem in 1 form or anotehr, it amy be cheaper but it is not convinient and it might cause a loss of sales for the company seeing not evry1 can by online, but almsot evrybody can buy it in store.

Of course everyone prefers an original box of Armed Assault and not a lousy ArmA.exe

On another thread I posted that I am going to open a shipping service (call it trade) for all people living outside the countries with the confirmed release dates.

Link to thread

The only unclear thing, which we need to have confirmed is, whether the german version includes the English language.

Ive created a website which is going to be online soon. There you can order your own copy, copies of ArmA. Shipping will be done by UPS a few days after the german release.

And thanks to special contracts with wholesale and UPS mass deliverance (of course insuranced), shipping to Europe will be about 5 € and to the States will be around 10 €.

Again, this is no advertisement for my homepage but only an info to let you know where to obtain a copy of ArmA when your not from one of the countries with the confirmed releasedate.

You may find answers to your questions in the other thread:

If you have further questions:

1. PM me

2. wait for the release of the homepage

3. DONT ask about it (otherwise placebo) is going to lock the thread again ^^Link to thread