Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Kind of pc tech related but ArmA too, had a look in ArmA FAQ but didnt find anything, will ArmA support directx 10? Saying this as supposedly directx 10 is not backward compatible so you cant play directx 9 games in it (stupid i know)? Sorry if this has already been posted just didnt find anything on it.

EDIT: Source, Tweaks R Us, "Direct X 10. This version is not going to be backwards compatible."

Linky: http://tweaksrus.com/index.p....emid=43

Could a mod change the title to Directx 10 please? click submit before i noticed

Only Vista gets DX10 but it also gets DX9.0L for compatibility.

As said above, being DX9 it should run on both XP and Vista. Although, which one is better will be debatable I am sure.

There's very little chance of ArmA supporting DX10 since it's not even out until next year at best and adding support to a new uncompatible gfx API in such late state of developement would make little sense.

And *beep* Vista and *beep* DirectX 10. They should go OpenGL with Game2 to make the game less OS dependant because, who knows, maybe Linux will became a common OS for avarage home use in the near future. At least I'm not buying Vista, it seems to be adding nothing but a bunch of stupid completely useless gimmicks to waste resources on.

I think GAME2 maybe use Directx10, but ArmA will be release soon than Win Vista

From what I hear ArmA is going to be DX9 and they'll see how feasable a DX10 conversion will be in the future. Or maybe I'm thinking of Flight Sim X

I have waited for my E6600 for a month now, there hasn't been a single one shipped to any Finnish importer yet which is quite crappy as, for example, german stores seem to have had them in stock for quite a while now... I have my Asus P5W DH Deluxe, GF7900GT, 2GB of memory and a 320GB HD sitting here and I can't do anything with them sad_o.gifconfused_o.gifmad_o.gif

I've heard nothing but good things about that P5W Deluxe. Does it have the heatpipe cooling on it? f the P5BVM doesn't come out soon that's definately my alternative...

I've heard nothing but good things about that P5W Deluxe. Does it have the heatpipe cooling on it?

Yes, though they have screwed it up a bit as when the heatpipe is mounted, the northbridge heatsink doesn't seem to sit evenly on the chip and the contact isn't very good. Should be fine for any normal use, but for high overclocks the heatsink would need to be replaced.

Fuck off directx, I hope Game 2 use OpenGL !!!

I'm a big fan of OFP but in any event I never buy armed assault for the bad choice of directx.

OFP bugs does not have is enough for you ?

Where are linux topics huh.gif

Thank you for not erase loosely this post.

I'm a big fan of OFP but in any event I never buy armed assault for the bad choice of directx.

grammar is a little off

why are you posting in the ArmA forum if you swear you wont buy the game :s

There's very little chance of ArmA supporting DX10 since it's not even out until next year at best and adding support to a new uncompatible gfx API in such late state of developement would make little sense.

And *beep* Vista and *beep* DirectX 10. They should go OpenGL with Game2 to make the game less OS dependant because, who knows, maybe Linux will became a common OS for avarage home use in the near future. At least I'm not buying Vista, it seems to be adding nothing but a bunch of stupid completely useless gimmicks to waste resources on.

I couldn't agree more, on both accounts.

Besides, not even game2 will use dx10 if it's released on this side of the decade, or at least it'll have a dx9 version as well. No developer will want to lose out the 2k/xp users for at least 3-4 years. Vista will simply take ages to come around, if it comes around at all. It could flop no problem.

I wish more would use opengl anyway. Why more developers do not embrace these is beyond me. That whole "better support for directx" surely is a pile of MS spun bollocks?

grammar is a little off

why are you posting in the ArmA forum if you swear you wont buy the game :s

He's trying mate, so lay off. Not everyone has English as native language. And of course he's free to post in the ArmA forum that he's not buying ArmA because of the bad choice of DirectX. Why would he not be allowed to post that in a thread that is about DirectX in ArmA?

I have my Asus P5W DH Deluxe, GF7900GT, 2GB of memory and a 320GB HD sitting here and I can't do anything with them sad_o.gifconfused_o.gifmad_o.gif

send them my way, and i could deffinatly find a good use for them tounge2.gif

I'd much rather see them use OpenGL over DX10 (or any version of D3D).

There are several commercial advantages to this:

- It would make creating linux and mac versions of the game pretty simple.

- The PS3, and probably other present and future consoles, use a variant of openGL

- It does not force the customer to upgrade to Vista (waste of money)

- OpenGL is language (programming) portable, DirectX is more or less tied to M$ Visual C++

Total running hardware/software cost of an openGL game is lower, whilst this doesn't directly affect BIS it is important. Consider future multimedia devices (consoles, phones, media centres) choosing the lowest cost route for their money - this means linux and opengl. So the openGL market has the potential to expand much wider than D3D, which also means the potential to sell more openGL based products. Hardware vendors would love to take a popular game such as Game 2, port it to their device and thereby increase sales of both game and hardware.

just in case placebo or someone at BIS use this as a "test the intrest level in a linux compatable version of game2"....

count me in. i game on linux whereever i can, game 2 in openGL would be kickass.

HELP!! today when i tried to bootup my pc it keep rebooting over and over again, and when i disable the auto reboot on system fail

it give me this damn blue screen

29031292552la2.jpg

what happened? can i fix it without formating?

As far as I can understand some core system file is either deleted or corrupt, no way you could fix that well enough on windows. crazy_o.gif

As far as I can understand some core system file is either deleted or corrupt, no way you could fix that well enough on windows. crazy_o.gif

notthing seems to be wrong on that folder, even if i check it with another pc there seems to be a very less chance to find any thing which goes wrong, i got some important file on that drive too(no! i dont want to format it~~no~~~)??? sad_o.gif

it is a bitch to reinstall all stuff confused_o.gif

Easy Method:

1/ Restart your PC

2/ Keep tapping the F8 Button until a menu appears

3/ When the menu appears use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to select the ‘Last known good configuration’ option.

4/ Once selected press Enter

5/ Your PC should now reinstall the ‘last know good configuration file’

6/ Restart your PC and see if the problem has been solved

7/ If it hasn’t go on to the Harder Method below.

Slightly Easy Method:

While this fix is not 'guaranteed' to repair the problem it is worth going through the procedure before stepping up to the harder method.

1/ Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM and restart your pc

2/ At the 'Welcome to Setup' screen press R to start the recovery Console

3/ The Recovery Console will now open and the list of Windows installations will appear

4/ As you only have one installation on your PC you need to press the number which is relevant to your installations location. This,obviously, will typically be 1

5/ When requested type in your Administrator password. If you haven't set an administrator password, then simply press Enter

6/ The Recovery Console command prompt window will now appear

7/ At the Recovery Console command prompt type: CHKDSK

8/ If CHKDSK reports file sectors run CHKDSK again only this time type CHKDSK /F instead

9/ Fixing bad sectors on the hard disk can take some time, so please be patient.

10/ After CHKDSK has finished, remove the XP CD from the CD-ROM and reboot

11/ Hopefully your PC should boot as normal.

Harder Method:

Step On

1/ Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM and restart your pc

2/ At the ‘Welcome to Setup’ screen press R to start the recovery Console

3/ The Recovery Console will now open and the list of Windows installations will appear

4/ As you only have one installation on your PC you need to press the number which is relevant to your installations location. This, obviously will typically be 1

5/ When requested type in your Administrator password. If you haven’t set an administrator password, then simply press Enter

6/ The Recovery Console command prompt window will now appear

7/ At the Command prompt type the following, pressing Enter after you have typed each line.

md tmp

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak

copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak

copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak

copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system

delete c:\windows\system32\config\software

delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam

delete c:\windows\system32\config\security

delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software

copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam

copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security

copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

8/ Now type Exit to exit the recovery console

9/ Finally restart your pc

Step Two

10/ When the PC restarts log on as Administrator. if you are using Windows XP Home you can only log on as Administrator via Safe Mode.

11/ The next step is to copy the registry files from their backed up location using system restore. However, before you can begin you need to set the folder options in Windows Explorer to Show Hidden Files and Folders

12/ Open Windows Explorer

13/ Click the Tools option on the main toolbar

14/ From the drop down menu click on Folder options

15/ In the Folder options window click the View tab

16/ Look down the file list until you come to a section marked Hidden Files and Folders

17/ Click on the Radio button on the left of the option Show hidden Files and Folders to enable this option

18/ Next move down two lines and remove the check mark next to the option Hide Protected operating system files (Recommended)

19/ You will receive a message informing you that editing or deleting these files could cause damage to your system. Click Yes to confirm that you want to display these files.

20/ From the folder/directory list in Windows explorer click on the drive where you installed Windows XP

21/ Open the System Volume Information folder (The folder appears dimmed) If you receive a System volume Information is not accessible. access denied Error message see Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 309531

22/ Inside you will find one or more folders that look something like this "_restore{87BD3667-3246-476B-923F-F86E30B3E7F8}".

23/ If the folders are displayed as icons or thumbnails click the View option on the main toolbar and click on Details to give a more detailed view of the files

24/ Select a file that was not created at the current time and that starts with RPx (these are Restore Points)

25/ Open one of these folders and look for a Snapshot folder - for example: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}\RP1\Snapshot

26/ From this snapshot folder copy the following files to C:\Windows\tmp folder

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

27/ Now rename the files as follows:

Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT

Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY

Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE

Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM

Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM

Step Three

28/ You now have to delete the existing registry files and copy the system restore registry files to the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder: You can do this either by using Recovery Console or (if you file system is FAT32) by using a Windows 98 Start Up Disk) Whichever method you use you will be presented with a command prompt. At the command prompt type the following, remembering to press Enter after you have typed each line.

del c:\windows\system32\config\sam

del c:\windows\system32\config\security

del c:\windows\system32\config\software

del c:\windows\system32\config\default

del c:\windows\system32\config\system

29/ Now type the following, pressing Enter after you have typed each line:

copy c:\windows\tmp\software c:\windows\system32\config\software

copy c:\windows\tmp\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\tmp\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam

copy c:\windows\tmp\security c:\windows\system32\config\security

copy c:\windows\tmp\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

30/ Finally Exit Recovery Console and Restart your PC (If you are using the Windows 98 startup disk simply press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart your pc

Step Four

31/ After your PC has rebooted click the Start button followed by All Programs

32/ From the All Programs menu click Accessories

33/ From the Accessories drop down menu click on System Restore

34/ From the System Restore window click on the Restore to a Previous Restore Point option and restore your pc to a previous restore point

Hope I help U wink_o.gif

well erm.........ar.........thats.........

christ i may need to do it next day, i am now using my sisters pc and its midnight here in HK(and i am so tired after 12 hours of work, must sleep........).....thanks anyway, will try later

edit: the harder way might not work as well as i got crash tried to did something different with it........anyway wish me luck sad_o.gif

You don't need to format your hard drive to reinstall Windows, you can install it in the same folder and it should fix the install (but the registry will be deleted and renewed, so you will need to reinstall all your programs).

Hi im going to buy a laptop to my girlfriend(shes paying) and i wonder if this one is any good comp

she is just going to have it for watching movies, typing, internet and stuff like that, no games

so most important thing is the battery time and this one has five hours battery time so it sound pretty good

what do you think?

Hi im going to buy a laptop to my girlfriend(shes paying) and i wonder if this one is any good comp

she is just going to have it for watching movies, typing, internet and stuff like that, no games

so most important thing is the battery time and this one has five hours battery time so it sound pretty good

what do you think?

Yeah,its quite good....but i would go for HP or Asus rather.