Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

It will be for an ArmA server (maybe two in the beginning when it firsts come out) and also for my website which basically serves as a file server. I think I will go for the 2GB of RAM... I just ordered the mobo, and my server is looking like this:

P5B-VM

550W Antec PSU

2x (or 3x) WD160GB hard drives

E6600 CPU

Still need to get the RAM and another CD-Rom drive so I can install the OS... then I think that's just about all I need to do.

You did'nt hold anything back when it came to the powersupply, thats for sure  wink_o.gif

Me, I'll stick with a Mist(Made by Antec to the same specs) 500w. Still more than enough for me.

Since you're going to use it as both a application and file-server you should get 3x160GB and a great RAID-controller and run RAID5. But remember in RAID5 3x160=320GB space. If you need more space you can always add more drives later. Just make sure you got enough channels on the controller. Adaptec 2420 has 4 channels, 2820 has 8 channels.

And yet my 350W nexus seems enough for my amd dualcore, 7600GT, 1 HD and one DVD burner.. tounge2.gif

What about my 750W one?

Do you seriously need that much power, or is it just a bragging-thing?

In that case, get the new 1,1kW instead, that would suit your.. well, needs, better whistle.gif

JW

wink_o.gif

What about my 750W one?

Do you seriously need that much power, or is it just a bragging-thing?

In that case, get the new 1,1kW instead, that would suit your.. well, needs, better whistle.gif

JW

wink_o.gif

...hehehe... its true,750w psu has no proper use for todays home users... shit,u can have nvidia 7950 gx2,5xhdd,core 2 duo x6800 etc., and u are quite fine with 500w psu....

..... 750w tounge2.gif

Hey everyone.

I need some advice on upgrading my graphics card, here are my current system specs.

Radeon 9200 128MB

1GB DDR RAM

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz

AGP

What would you guys say I should upgrade my graphics card to?

Hey everyone.

I need some advice on upgrading my graphics card, here are my current system specs.

Radeon 9200 128MB

1GB DDR RAM

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz

AGP

Kinda hard to say since you are not stating your budget.

Hey everyone.

Radeon 9200 128MB

1GB DDR RAM

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz

AGP

As I can see its a AGP card- so for your budget I would take something like ATI Radeon X800GTO/PRO or Nvidia 6800GS-both with 256Mb DDRIII,256bit memory of course wink_o.gif

Hi,

If you think my 550w power supply is overdoing it, could you recommend another wattage or a specific power supply that is under $100?

See the specs it would need to support above.

If youre building a server that you want to be reliable, theres no such thing as overdoing a PSU...I read that Seasonic or Enermax are the best, but I am not sure how they stack-up price wise against the Antec. How much is that Antec?

The 550w was $80.00 on NewEgg. It had some of the best reviews for PSU's in it's category. I will probably either sell it or use it in my personal computer I'm building this November.

Edit: BTW the reason I'm not using it in my server is becuase it has a bottom fan which will not work on my 2U server rack... doh!!!

Edit 2: Yeah, so I suppose it would be a good idea for me to just clarify that the PSU I get for this server cannot have a fan on the top or the bottom - only on the sides...

I say the manufacturer of the PSU makes a hell lot more difference in reliability than the wattage.

Damn straight... and J W, though I like bragging, yeah, I bought a 750W one cause I intend to get a nice little Quad SLI action up and running soon enough. I've already ordered one of the new Gigabyte Quad Royales for next week. biggrin_o.gif Plus I overclock everything.

If youre building a server that you want to be reliable, theres no such thing as overdoing a PSU.

There is a difference between overdoing it and common sense. 750w is overdoing it smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I say the manufacturer of the PSU makes a hell lot more difference in reliability than the wattage.

Indeed it does.

A 350 Antec, Mist, OCZ or Fortron Source can easily deliver more than a noname 400W PS (for example Chieftec).

Quote[/b] ]The 550w was $80.00 on NewEgg... I will probably either sell it or use it in my personal computer I'm building this November.

Since you already bought it you might aswell keep it. You wont save that much by selling it and buying a smaller one anyways.

Quote[/b] ]u can have nvidia 7950 gx2,5xhdd,core 2 duo x6800 etc., and u are quite fine with 500w psu

Nice to know smile_o.gif I knew I had room for upgrades but it did'nt occur to me I had that much.

I'm using a Mist 500w with a 7950GX2, 3x250GB, Adaptec ASC-2420SA (RAID5) and E6700.

I'm amazed that I'm getting 70fps where I used to get 30 in FarCry (and 300 where I used to get 120'ish rofl.gif )

The FEAR benchmark is kinda funny:

0-25 fps: 0% , 25-40 fps: 2% , 40 < fps: 98% (min 38, avg 88, max 344). All that at 1280x1024, 4xAA, 16xAF, everything on max including softshadows.

I have a question regarding the GX2.

My 6800GT's fan runs in hi-speed mode on boot untill it enters Windows, then it calms down and only increase when the temp rise.

It sounds like my 7950GX2 is spinning in hi-speed mode all the time. There is no difference whether I'm in Windows idle or in a game. GPU temp is at 55 on idle and 60-65 in games.

Is that fan-speed normal? I find it noisy and annoying.

I'm using Forceware 91.47 (latest WHQL). Is it driver-related?

Can't talk to you about the drivers, but I read in a Guru3D review that the 7950GX2 fan is a bit noisier than past models due to the close proximity of the GPUs to each other (and thus a higher fan speed needed for increased dissipation), I don't think it's temperature related, seeing as it maxes out at 65 degrees.

BD: Buy a RM 400 1U chassi, they have 400W supplys, that should be good enough wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]As I can see its a AGP card- so for your budget I would take something like ATI Radeon X800GTO/PRO or Nvidia 6800GS-both with 256Mb DDRIII,256bit memory of course   wink_o.gif

DDRIII, does that mean I would have to change my RAM to that? I don't know a lot about computers.

banghead.gif

No, your GPU RAM is not related to your RAM, but of course it is always best to have the newest of the newest (and a very large amount of cash whistle.gif ).

I need help guys , i have run in to one of those commonly frustrating problems that you get with extracting installers for games  banghead.gif .

I d/lded AA 2.7 and the stupid installer (2.5Gb) has decided to extract data to elsewhere and then START the installation process ... so it picks C/temp folder as a default location to extract data even though my C drive only has 1.8 Gb free space , the installer needs more then 2.3 or so i assume judging by the amount of bar the extracter shows. So what do i do to get myself out of this **** ing mess?

I already had to move a lot of stuff from C to other drives in order to make this much space (1.8) and still it isnt enough. What do i do? Is their a workaround ?

I wanna kill those people who designed these installers  crazy_o.gif .

P.S: Oh and on my other partitions i got loads of space , there IS a browse to another location tab in the installer but its locked.

the stupid installer (2.5Gb) has decided to extract data to elsewhere and then START the installation process ... so it picks C/temp folder as a default location to extract data

If it uses your account's temp-folder you can move this folder to a different partition.

[*]Right-click my computer and select properties

[*]Go to Advanced and select Environment Variables

[*]Select the line that reads the path for TEMP and click edit

[*]Replace path (%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp) to something like D:\TEMP or wherever you want the TEMP-folder to reside.

I got a problem. I just put togeather my new computer and when I try to install windows it craches and tells me to check that "hardware and software is properly installed. if it still doesn't work try to switch of shadowing and/or chaching"

I searched for this in both in bios and the ownser manual.

I got a Asus - Socket AM2 - ATX nForce570 SLI (M2N-SLI DELUXE) - PCI-E / SATA / DDR2 motherboard and a Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA (10000RPM / 16MB Cache / SATA) harddrive

PLEASE HELP ME sad_o.gif

the stupid installer (2.5Gb) has decided to extract data to elsewhere and then START the installation process ... so it picks C/temp folder as a default location to extract data

If it uses your account's temp-folder you can move this folder to a different partition.

[*]Right-click my computer and select properties

[*]Go to Advanced and select Environment Variables

[*]Select the line that reads the path for TEMP and click edit

[*]Replace path (%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp) to something like D:\TEMP or wherever you want the TEMP-folder to reside.

Many thanks , that helped.

I found another way out aswell , the installer was a rar archive too .. all it needed was to be right clicked and extracted elsewhere crazy_o.gif .

I got a problem. I just put togeather my new computer and when I try to install windows it craches and tells me to check that "hardware and software is properly installed. if it still doesn't work try to switch of shadowing and/or chaching"

I searched for this in both in bios and the ownser manual.

I got a Asus - Socket AM2 - ATX nForce570 SLI (M2N-SLI DELUXE) - PCI-E / SATA / DDR2 motherboard and a Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA (10000RPM / 16MB Cache / SATA) harddrive

PLEASE HELP ME sad_o.gif

What memory do you use?

Also, it could be good to check out the Asus forums, there are a lot of problems with MSN-SLI DELUXE being discussed..

I have one as well..

Other's have no problems at all, I had my share before it just started working without anything done to it (power up problems)...