Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Oh please don't give me that bollocks as you folks like to say over there rofl.gif. I read over 20+ reviews the day the NDA was lifted on Core i7 and in certain applications such as 3d rendering it gets a healthy boost while in others the performance

I'm confused. Did you actually read the reviews I sent you? Or indeed any of the other ones available from reputable sites? Do you have anything concrete to substantiate what you are saying? "Over here", disagreeing with facts by means of assertion is a fine example of "bollocks" as you most eloquently put it.

Quote[/b] ]difference is not worth justifying a new upgrade. It isn't using the same socket and it means upgrading the big three , memory/cpu/motherboard.

Balschoiw is upgrading from a 5 year old PC. Therefore he's going to have to replace everything anyway. Your point?

Quote[/b] ]As for be-quiet that's what they said about Silverstone power supplies till they went poof.

So, because there is a remote possibility that it might be problematic means that you shouldn't buy it? You can apply that argument to any of the brands you recommended.

Samsung SH-S223Q 22fach SATA DVD-Brenner

I don't know how much does this one cost but I advise you to also look into ASUS ones, quite cheap and reliable.

Samsung 500 GB, HD502LJ , 16 MB / 7200 U/min

It is a nice hard-drive, always had samsung and never let me down!

COMBAT POWER 750 W - Gaming Edition - 13,5 cm fan

Now this is a mistake, buying a PSU from a low-end brand is quite a risk, maybe search for Corsair or LC Power ones.

Concerning this setup, I recently asked here for help building my rig and I am pretty much happy with it. I had a 1100€ budget and it had to have monitor and case, so the GPU is a little weak but I opted to put DDR3 1600Mhz already and an Asus motherboard.

EDIT: Also make sure you have a proper case with a good airflow, the new CPUs (even G0 revision of Q6600) and GTX280 can get pretty hot...

Hey lads.

Something has went wrong with my graphics card. Possibly fried. I installed the new graphics drivers when STEAM told me my current ones were out of date. I updated to the 178.24 Windows XP 32 Bit Nvidia GeForce drivers for my 7600 GS 512MB card.

I went to play L4D and there were holes in models with the textures stretching out of everywhere. I reverted back to older drivers, 178.13 and it's still happening. It shows up in the Nvidia control panel's 3D preview.

Anybody shed some light on what might be wrong?

Specs:

1GB RAM

2.66Ghz P4

Nvidia 7600GS 512MB

Windows XP SP3

WTF!?!

Do the problems only appear in the one game (and the nVidia panel), or do they appear in all the ones you play? While it could seem like a dying graphics card, it seems odd that the problems would just appear after the installation of new graphics drivers. How old is the card? And what sort of PSU have you got hooked up to it?

Mhmm, the 7600GS is at most two-three years old, so I assume you upgraded the machine with the card at some point. Did the machine come with an AGP graphics card to begin with, or did you use integrated up until that point? Do you notice any other problems or crashes with the system?

I upgraded it back in late 2006 from a Radeon 9200 AGP card (also upgraded the RAM from 256 to 1GB). No other problems with my system so far, except that STEAM had trouble loading but it's all OK now so I assume it was unrelated.

EDIT:

I remember having a similar problem when I first got the 7600GS. Un-checking writes combining (or whatever it's called) fixed it.

Original thread

Are you ready for AA2 ?

What are ppl currently using as a gaming machine...

Operating System:- Windows Vista Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 6001)

Processor:- Intel E8600

Ram:- 8 gig

Video:- ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (2 gig)

Monitor:- 22 Inch wide screen / 19 inch 2nd monitor

Sound:- Creative SB X-Fi

Joystick:- Thrustmaster HOTAS

Net Connection:- ADSL2 with 4 meg synch.

Keyboard:- G15

Misc:- TrackIR

I think I am ready.... are you ?

Window$ XP Pr0

ASUS A8N-SLI

GF 6600 GT

A64 3000+

SB Live! 24-bit

1 GB

17" CRT

Ready to roll.

Btw, is it just me or do threads like this and "will this run?" posts usually just serve as ego boosters for owners of a brand new gaming rig? I have yet to see a mid to low range user ask if ArmA2 runs on his rig, it's always those who have the most ridiculously powerful PCs at the time and know the answer without anyone telling.

Window$ XP Pr0

ASUS A8N-SLI

GF 6600 GT

A64 3000+

SB Live! 24-bit

1 GB

17" CRT

Ready to roll.

Btw, is it just me or do threads like this and "will this run?" posts usually just serve as ego boosters for owners of a brand new gaming rig? I have yet to see a mid to low range user ask if ArmA2 runs on his rig, it's always those who have the most ridiculously powerful PCs at the time and know the answer without anyone telling.

Wow, I have nearly the exact same system. I'm building a new one next week, though:

Q6600

8800GTX*

2 Gigs of RAM

* I'm not sure if this is the right card. It's kind of complicated, but I had an 8800GTS and it broke. I send it in for a free replacement under warranty, and they sent me an 8800GTX back instead. However, that one was having different problems right away, so I sent it back too. Hopefully I'll be getting the new card on Monday and hopefully it's the 8800GTX (or better). If it wasn't for the card I would have built the new PC last week.

Of course... whistle.gif

Besides, I'm not entirely sure that Vista Home Premium is something to be proud of biggrin_o.gif

But not to derail the thread too much:

Q6600 @3.0GHz (can't go higher before I buy a new fan)

HD4870 512MB vRAM

4GB DDRII RAM @ 1000MHz

XP 64-bit

Just for the record I built this rig about half a year ago.

Before that I was suffering with Athlon XP 2600+ (@1.9), FX5700, 2GB DDRI @ 400MHz RAM...

Some cases might work better, I think. My dual core Celeron D may be a smoother ride thanks to Arma2 being multi-threaded.

Manufacturer:

Homebuild

Processor:

AMD Dual Core 6400+

PSU

620W Corsair Modular

Memory:

2GB Corsair XMS2

Hard Drive:

660 GB Sata II

Video Card:

ATI Radeon HD 4870 Sapphire

Monitor:

F-417

Sound Card:

Soundblaster X-Fi

Speakers/Headphones:

Medusa 5.1

Keyboard:

G11

Mouse:

G5

Mouse Surface:

4D Steel

Operating System:

Windows XP SP3

Motherboard:

ABIT FATAL1TY AN9 32X nForce 590

Computer Case:

Antec 900

Will it run ArmA 2 Celery ... icon_rolleyes.gif

Here's my ego boosting monster machine

3500+amd

7600gt

2 Pounds of Dust

I'll pwn you all... @ 2.5 fps

... provided the installer doesn't say: "arma2 will not install on windows2000, sod off!"

Works for Arma, will work for Arma 2.

Crossing my fingers with my-

HP PAV AMD ANth 4600+ 2.4ghz Dual Core

2 gig ram

NVidia 7900GC

Win Vista Home 32

Probably getting better GC an add more ram. When ArmA 1st came out I had an older system that ran it so I'm not really to worried biggrin_o.gif Can't wait!!!

Q6600 @3.2Ghz

4Gb G.Skill DDR2 @ 800+ Mhz

8800GTS 512Mb (the G92 version, beats 8800GTX hand down..)

1Tb HDD (RAID)

Vista Ultimate 64bit (would have 64 XP but it's too damn annoying to install; "Press F6 for 3rd party SCSI drivers".. Bah, way too 90's..)

26" screen (1920x1200)

I'm guessing no worries with Arma2 huh.gif

Of course... whistle.gif

Besides, I'm not entirely sure that Vista Home Premium is something to be proud of biggrin_o.gif

But not to derail the thread too much:

Q6600 @3.0GHz (can't go higher before I buy a new fan)

HD4870 512MB vRAM

4GB DDRII RAM @ 1000MHz

XP 64-bit

Just for the record I built this rig about half a year ago.

Before that I was suffering with Athlon XP 2600+ (@1.9), FX5700, 2GB DDRI @ 400MHz RAM...

This is just general chit chat... plus I hope this will provide some feedback to BIS on what everybody is using.  I hope I don't to have to run AA2 in windowed mode because I have more that 4 gig for ram.  aka AA.  Plus a ton of use also had to deal with the Fogging issue for months because of the 8800 series cards.  This might help BIS on what to test the game on and what combinations.... so please add what you are using.

I don't want this to break down into will it or won't it run argument... just please list what your your machine is.

thanks..

no I am not proud I am using vista  biggrin_o.gif ... I just belived the hype about DirectX 10...  banghead.gif

Windows Media Centre 2005 Edition OS

Dual 19 inch Monitors + 24 inch TV

AMD X2 6000 Athlon CPU

8800GT 512MB GPU

MSI K9 Neo v3 MB

2GB RAM

4 500GB SATA Western Digital in Raid

Sound Blaster Audigy on Headphones/Mic Set

Sound Blaster X-FI Audio on 5.1 Custom Surround System

Game Types Played - Simulation Only

Flight Sim Controllers:

Saitek X45 Flight System

Saitek P2600 Rumble Pad

Racing Sim Controllers:

Logitech Driving Force Pro Steering Wheel

Act-Labs GPL 8 Speed HH Gear Shifter

Act-Labs Performance Pedals (Gas/Brake/Clutch)

Vista Ultimate 64bit (would have 64 XP but it's too damn annoying to install; "Press F6 for 3rd party SCSI drivers".. Bah, way too 90's..)

lol H smile_o.gif

Me I'm waiting until the game is out , patched and reviewed before I sink anymore $$'s into hardware just for a game.

By then hardware prices will be even lower than they are now.. rofl.gif

My daddy bought it and seller told that it's good. Is it good then and will my ArmA2 roll? huh.gif

Just kidding. I bought it myself and it's nicely fast tounge2.gif

But think about it: if you just wait a little longer the prices will be even lower than that, and don't get me started about waiting even more.

But think about it: if you just wait a little longer the prices will be even lower than that, and don't get me started about waiting even more.

Well there's no point getting an upgrade until there's actually a game available worth upgrading for.

First I'll see how GTA4 runs. If it runs well enough then I may as well wait for ArmA 2 to be released before I upgrade smile_o.gif