Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Ram error doesnt seem totally unlikely?

Depends.

Have you checked how the system runs when you take one bar out? If it runs fine, put the other one in instead and see if it crashes with that one.

Are they running in dual channel?

Are the timings selected automatically?

What speed are they set to (800mhz; 1066mhz, or even higher) ?

Also, did you overclock anything? In that case it´s more likely faulty voltage - but usually you´d end up with a bluescreen from that.

The Rams are in the two left slots ( according to the Gigabyte Manual the two left slots next to each other are preferred for dual channel ).

Rams are two similar 1066 modules.

Stupid question but how to i know if they really run in dual mode?

Im not even totally sure what the correct timings for them would be wow_o.gif

Currently im at work but i check later, i think CPU-Z should be able to show the ram timings.

Been thinking it may also be wrong timings as the corsair isnt listed on the Gigabyte HP as fully supported ( or i just didnt see it ).

Oh and nothing is overclocked all is on default ( that already heats the case enough ) but the Ram has pretty good cooling ribs by default and the Zalman on the CPU also keeps its heat pretty low.

Reboots dont seem heat connected as it most of the time happens under windows while i dont do more than browse my pcs folders.

Most of the tiem games like Crysis run even in highest details without any error or reboot and that for hours.

Upon startup you should be presented with something like "2048mb bla running in Dual Channel" or similar.

CPU-Z will also tell you if they´re running in dual mode.

RAM timings are often listed on the memory itself, but i´d suggest setting it to AUTO in your bios because i found that it works quite good even on overclokced machines. Didn´t really have the patience reading up on all the new tech stuff so im rather glad having the auto function myself.

I´d suggest you do the stability check with only one ram bar first. Maybe you are unlucky and one of them is damaged.

If that isn´t the problem, check RAM frequency (in bios).

It should´nt be higher than 1066 for a stable system w/o overclocking.

If nothing else helps, try a lower frequency and see if crashes still occur.

Been thinking it may also be wrong timings as the corais isnt listed on the Gigabyte HP as fully supported ( or i just didnt see it ).

That should´nt be a problem too. My rams aren´t listed as compatible in the mobos manual either, but everythings fine.

edit:

With my last AMD setup it did the same, and it was the CPU clocks which were too high (stock clocks), even though the thermals were good.

I had to underclock it to get it stable.

This is well worth checking out too.

Don´t have any recent experience with AMD, but Lepardi´s problem was prolly caused by too low cpu vcore.

You´d either have to underclock the cpu as he did, or rise core voltage - but that´s only a last resort since your case temps are pretty high already and higher vcore will always impact cpu temps.

Also there´s the slight risk of frying the cpu if done improperly biggrin_o.gif

Hi Shadow,

I see you are running a 9850BE with a GA-MA78G-DS3H (rev. 1.0). In the information web for this motherboard model it is stated that the 9850 is not supported, so that might be causing your problems. To check if this is actually the problem I would lower both the frequence and voltage of your cpu (for example, setting the cpu multiplier to 5, giving you 1000Hz, and setting the v to 1.00). If reboots stop happening, it probably means that your MB cannot provide enough power to your cpu.

I have the exact same cpu, but with an asrock fulldisplayport, which is specifically stated to support this cpu model. Everything runs fine for me, no reboots at all.

PS: For modifyings multipliers and v i suggest to use amd's overdrive tool.

http://www.gigabyte.de/Support....ID=2731

Supports up to X4 9950 according to the page and in tools like CPU-Z all is recognised right.

The Ram timings also are shown correctly.

They are shown as Dual channel if i have both in.

BIOS was updated witht he Gigabyte updater and is from 18.06.2008 which is the latest i would think.

Currently i run tests with only one ram module, checked both, each one for 2 hours and i did all the things that normally often caused some reboot but oddly there wasnt one so far.

Only bit strange thing was that when i tested the second ram i had VPU recover pop up a few times saying it had to reset my display driver but that could also caused by somethign else as i tried arma before on full settings with only one of the rams which offcourse led to the good old lod popping in masses.

At least the loud harddisk is now pretty much silenced, found a tool named Silentdrive 2.4 which allowed to slow down the heads on the HDD a bit which made the whole thing lot lot more silent.

Offcourse at a speed loss but so far it doesnt seem to drastic.

http://www.gigabyte.de/Support....ID=2731

Supports up to X4 9950 according to the page and in tools like CPU-Z all is recognised right.

Actually the last line for those two cpu's says N/A which according to their hyphens

Quote[/b] ]

N/A = Not support  

I see its 4000mhz bus...thats why I was asking if it displays proper cpu at bootup.Programs like cpuz within windows may recognize proper cpu anyways

Don't fear may support in later bios revision

That is a pretty nice motherboard, I am using Gigabyte also and supports 16gb ram like yours

Do you have correct voltages on RAM? Have you tried downclocking the cpu?

May sound stupid, but unplug the reset button from your motherboard. A defect reset switch made me go insane a while ago until I found the source for sudden reboots. Maybe worth checking.

Odd, i could ahve sworn i posted some more here yesterday with a error pic.

Guess i shouldnt post that late to be able to still push the post button... either that or somwhere else in these Forums we now have a total unrelated post tounge2.gif

About the N/A damn youre right BraTTy, checked that page a dozen times before buying the cpu but never noticed the damn N/A, pretty clever... could have made the not supported ones red or just dont list the supported models.

However after my lil tests with the differen ram bars in single mode i noticed that when i only use the one that was in the second slot before alone then i regulary have VPU recover pop up telling me it had to reset my not responding Graphics driver...also things like the FUR mark test always had seconds of freezes... however how can that be related?

If i use the other bar nothing like that happens.

I will try the rest of the suggested things later this week when i have a day off.

Was posting soem spec screens and more details here yesterday but it seems i hit preview instead of post yesterday and just noticed, guess i post these again again later today.

Btw, temp wise all is green i think, cpu idles at 36c HD at 40c and the GPU at something like 86c according to FUR mark, bit high maybe but the HDs tent too get damn hot from what i read so far.

I don't really suspect the cpu support problem.Since your problem I have read several reviews with users using your mb and 9850 cpu.However some claim the 125watts is too much for the mb.

I suspected your hd earlier when you said it was making noises.Depends on the noises and clunking in never good.

A hot hdd will reboot your computer , as a testimony I have a security pc that runs 24/7 and originally the way I had the hdd's positioned it would get hot and reboot.Since I seperated the 2 hdd's and removed one of the case faceplates (the ones where you would install a cd drive) it lets heat out better and no longer reboots.

The hdd's still get pretty warm (records 24/7).

As a rule of thumb if its uncomfortable to hold your hand on it..its too hot.

Well im 99% convinced that its a faulty ram bar.

As i said it tried both seperatly for a few hours and with one of them al is perfectly stable while witht eh other one i always have micro freezes and my graphics driver resets itself every few minutes.

No reboots though no matter which bar is in.

I think as soon as both bars are in and work in dual mode the problem worsens an leads to the reboots.

Heatwise i think all is green, HDD at roughly 40c, CPU at 40-48c, GPU at 86 in FUR mark stability test ( 30mins ).

Here is a screen from cpu-z, most of the values dont tell me much so im not sure if he recognizes it right, i cant see 1066Mhz as value anywhere, but i guess thsi value is a mix of some values?

ram1qv6.jpg

w779.png

Original values:

Ram 2048MB Corsair PC2-1066 DHX Dominator CL5 KIT

Timings 5-5-5-15

Volt 2,2

FSB 1066

So is it recognized right?

The timings seem correct but is the rest also?

---

Harddisk sound isnt one of the broken sounds its just loud worknoise because its a pretty fast disk it seems, i used "silentDrive 2.4" tool and set it to middle or quiet depending on what i do and especially in quite mode its barely heareable because the reading heads operate slower.

Here is a screen from cpu-z, most of the values dont tell me much so im not sure if he recognizes it right, i cant see 1066Mhz as value anywhere, but i guess thsi value is a mix of some values?

DDR=Double Data Rate, so effective bandwidth is doubled, 533*2=1066 MHz

Looking at CPU-Z all seems fine.

I would set timings and voltages manually in bios rather on auto.

So memtest went fine ?

Thanks, learning something here everytime wink_o.gif

Didnt try memtest yet but things get pretty obvious, as soon as i install the second bar again i get even more reboots than ever before so it seems things get worse.

A case for the Corsair support i think.

Thanks, learning something here everytime wink_o.gif

Didnt try memtest yet but things get pretty obvious, as soon as i install the second bar again i get even more reboots than ever before so it seems things get worse.

A case for the Corsair support i think.

You didn't run it yet...maybe is defective so you need to RMA it, maybe just needs fine tuning (official support, forum). That was the case with Mushkin memory I bought 2 months ago. I got lots of errors in memtest, but after visiting official forum and manual tuning with recommended settings for my mobo, it works just fine.

Ok but one of the bars runs perfectly stable while the other one leads to complete system instablity so it seems more like broken than wrong settings to me.

Or not?

Ok but one of the bars runs perfectly stable while the other one leads to complete system instablity so it seems more like broken than wrong settings to me.

Or not?

I don't know...

1st thing to do is to check both sticks with memtest, of course one at a time.

2nd...visit official forum for support

3rd...if there are any errors after that you should RMA it

BTW you could install both sticks and reset the BIOS settings manually (by clearing the CMOS via mobo jumper) to see does it helps.

PS.

I had the same memory and it was defective from the 1st day wink_o.gif

What did you change to get it running?

Probaly one of my bars is running just unstable but the fact that the other oen runs so well confuses me and makes me think change some values alone will not cure this thing.

Been thinkig of maybe switching to a 4GB G-Skill 100Mhz kit...

However afaik XP wont make use of the full 4GB, however a performance gain over the 2GB variant should be there, right?

However afaik XP wont make use of the full 4GB, however a performance gain over the 2GB variant should be there, right?

Well, you will have about 3GB as opposed to 2GB. Whether you will actually notice the difference is another question.

What did you change to get it running?

Probaly one of my bars is running just unstable but the fact that the other oen runs so well confuses me and makes me think change some values alone will not cure this thing.

Have you compared the voltage settings for RAM in your bios to the value that cpu-z shows in the rightmost column under SPD?

Probably your mainboard doesn´t get enough juice through to the slots, hence being unstable as soon as 2 bars are drawing power.

I´d try to rise the ram voltage by the smallest step available and then checking again with 2 bars.

If that doesn´t help try lowering the ram frequency (not the frontside bus) to something lower than 1066, but still well over 1000.

Since your cpu isnt listed as compatible, maybe the mobo chucks up with the ammount of data that 2 rams are throwing through the channels. So lowering ram frequency would ease the load on that a little bit.

Only wild guessing though.

As i said, bar A runs perfect with 100% stability while ram B constantly produces errors.

Each of them was used seperatly for the testing.

These get sold to a mate and then he can try his luck with them, ordered me the G.Skill kit because it was a tempting offer and i often read that they work perfectly with the Gigabyte boards.

What puzzles me, if i have a 4GB kit and XP only uses 3GB will the bars ( 2x2048 ) still run in dual mode or does that not matter at all?

Ah, okay biggrin_o.gif

The 4gig set will still run in dual mode aswell.

Windows "should" recognize up to 3gig of your 4 and leave the other one unused.

ShadowNX, I've got the same memory (Corsair Dominator 1066s), in 4 x 1GB configuration.

Interestingly enough, my RAM seems to hate voltages over 2.00 volts. Currently , my memory is on 1.95V and runs fine.

If I had to make a suggestion, turn your volts down. I know it's not what the EPP says, but it can't hurt to try. smile_o.gif

<span style='font-size:7.1pt;line-height:100%'>CameronMcDonald assumes no responsibility for the destruction of ShadowNX's computer as a result of this advice.</span>

Offcourse i could do that but still puzzles em why one bar would need that while the other one seems to work perfectly without any changes.

Both are from the same kit so they should have same chips and such thus be equal.

Well i try the G.Skills now and maybe they serve the purpose bit better.

Froma dozen tests i read they always get excellent ratings.