Sign in to follow this  
Colossus

GameSpot's E3 2006 impression.

It has been suggested, official or unofficially I can't remember which, that the CTI built into Arma will be a more realistic approach.

I'm hoping that it won't be the factory type approach. It never made much sense anyway because the timescale was all wrong. It can take weeks/months to put up a building and days/weeks to build vehicles yet in game this all happened in minutes. So battles were fought in real time yet back at base days were passing in minutes.

Putting it like that, it reminds me of the classic sci-fi, The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Where soldiers would leave earth to fight in a distant war but due to relativity tens/hundreds of years passed between each battle.

My fav quote...

Quote[/b] ]

What's really impressive is that we're told that there's basically no limit to how many players can jump in this mode, so you can have huge teams battling for strategic points on the vast island. Think Battlefield 2 but on an incredible scale.

Only the need for 1 server then, and everyone just joins in on that! Now that would be cool! Brings a whole new meaning to a 'world war' sim!

My fav quote...
Quote[/b] ]

What's really impressive is that we're told that there's basically no limit to how many players can jump in this mode, so you can have huge teams battling for strategic points on the vast island. Think Battlefield 2 but on an incredible scale.

Only the need for 1 server then, and everyone just joins in on that!  Now that would be cool!  Brings a whole new meaning to a 'world war' sim!

Well, there is no "hard limit", but there are still things like lag, desync etc with too many players... wink_o.gif

i think Cti is fun cause its ofp with Rts and yeah so what if its not realistic all the time biggrin_o.gif I think you have to have some balance between fun and realism and i think cti has that balance thumbs-up.gif

i think that if they would have gone fr like 200 % realism many players would been bored to death with long patrols without nothing to do and stuff.. or hanging around a base for say a couple of hours and nothing to do either than walk or sit around biggrin_o.gif

Yeah i like it that they where a bit more happy than other previews. thumbs-up.gif

Wow, they didn't slander the graphics!? This can't be...

Nothing special but the article made me think that to a BF2 player CTI will be the most interesting mode. Basically it is BF2 gameplay minus the town respawn (atleast now, we don't know if BIS will add it) plus a lot more like RTS elements and larger areas.

In BF2 you capture and hold towns just to have the most towns or to make your enemy run out of manpower. In CTI you capture towns for income and you use income to get better equipment in order to destroy the enemy. There is also the option that who captures all the towns wins the war but it isn't as fun IMHO.

BIS's CTI should be more realistic than the current CTI versions. There shouldn't be factories (just fortifications, minefields and such). Units should be sent to predefined places from "the sea" via planes and ships.

Also buying your equpment is kinda lame. There should be player classes like a sniper that respawns with his equpment if there is any left. The commander has to decide what kind of equipment he orders and what kind of men he needs. They can't just be made on the island, CTI shouldn't be like Command & Conquer but more like Ground Control.

I'm just happy to see they seem enthusiastic about Armed Assault.  I mostly love this quote wink_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]Think Battlefield 2 but on an incredible scale.

That is a good quote to get the attention of all the BF fans.  BF isn't a poorly designed game but I disliked it due to it...well..not being like the OFP I loved so much!

Oddly enough, the only games that keep my attention for years are the single player ones.

Flashpoint, Baldur's Gate II, Mafia...

Well, if BF2 had great singleplayer missions, I would have liked it, but alas that really isn't the point of the series. whistle.gif

Ahhh Mafia, what a game that was.  And yet they slagged it off as just another GTA spinoff.

Personally I think that GameSpot preview is actually very good, considering that most people believe the big boys like UbiSoft and EA pay GameSpot to write good reviews about their products...  wink_o.gif

Nothing special but the article made me think that to a BF2 player CTI will be the most interesting mode. Basically it is BF2 gameplay minus the town respawn (atleast now, we don't know if BIS will add it) plus a lot more like RTS elements and larger areas.

In BF2 you capture and hold towns just to have the most towns or to make your enemy run out of manpower. In CTI you capture towns for income and you use income to get better equipment in order to destroy the enemy. There is also the option that who captures all the towns wins the war but it isn't as fun IMHO.

BIS's CTI should be more realistic than the current CTI versions. There shouldn't be factories (just fortifications, minefields and such). Units should be sent to predefined places from "the sea" via planes and ships.

Also buying your equpment is kinda lame. There should be player classes like a sniper that respawns with his equpment if there is any left. The commander has to decide what kind of equipment he orders and what kind of men he needs. They can't just be made on the island, CTI shouldn't be like Command & Conquer but more like Ground Control.

It would be great that you will be an soldier in the main base when you (re)spawn and you should go to the weapon depot to get equiped.

In the case that you've respawned you should wait on the rest of the new reinforcement team before being able to get back into battle. (for the realism part, fun part is offcourse to be able to get back every second you want, but assaulting an army in your own is not really usefull)

In the case that you've respawned you should wait on the rest of the new reinforcement team before being able to get back into battle. (for the realism part, fun part is offcourse to be able to get back every second you want, but assaulting an army in your own is not really usefull)

sanctions for beeing killed fast is a good idea. if there will be no real time limit (or something like that) for respawning, armas will be just another respawn- run and gun- game.  confused_o.gif

I agree it would be great to have to wait and enter as a reinforcement wave. A bit more immersion and, you probably won't have the current info and ability to 'cheat' by coming right back where you were and hunting your killers as if you never left. Think it gives a bit of seperation from the previous life and allows someones well laid plan actually move forward naturally for once. Again, by making the reinforcements regain contact and learn about the current situation the HARD way.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm gonna make AA into a single player game. biggrin_o.gif New campaigns without character switching, anyone?

You can sign me up. Let's hope we can all hide this character switching-thingy under an old rug and never talk about it again. biggrin_o.gif

Some people just can't drag their lazy spanked butts over the fact it's optional, and it removes a game engine limit icon_rolleyes.gif .

This idea would revolutionize the cti - campaign (everon from OFP) mode:

- you should be able to buy units from every place on map (that would be like calling reinforcement) but they will appear only in main-start supply base. So let`s say you are in the middle of map and want to buy reinforcement. After you buy soldier he will appear in main supply base (far from you), you could buy him a tank, car, etc. You could buy more soldiers (depends on how many will be under your command) and command them as it was before in campaign everon in OFP.

But they will always appear in one place - the main supply base. This would eliminate ghost appearing units which were bought when usually someone captured a town.

For every captured town you would become money as it was before.

Another good thing would be - (minus) money for destroyed units, it would make that players would take care more for their units, it would decrease the using of jumping as a pilot from air unit (when usually unit is being destroyed).

I wanted to make the buying thing in OFP but finally didn`t make it mad_o.gif

In BF2 you capture and hold towns just to have the most towns or to make your enemy run out of manpower. In CTI you capture towns for income and you use income to get better equipment in order to destroy the enemy.

OMG i never capped towns in BF2, a bunker or a building at the most, but i think the mere scale of good old OFP allready blew away that BF2 stuff

rofl.gif

He compared it to Battlefield 2 sad_o.gif

Only 20 mission campaign?

I would blame the PR team for not coming up with a better description. tounge2.gif

Don't worry about the little details, people need a few stereotypes in order to change long descriptions into short ones.

And what I don't like about saying "there are 20 missions" in an advertisement is that such statements never actually mean anything. The question is, how long are these missions? That would be a more valid question.

It's like saying that there are 12 guns in the game. Well, what kind of guns are these? How do they contribute to the gameplay? Why should we care about the differences between each gun?

And then it's like saying 40 hours of gameplay. Really? Will you enjoy these 40 hours, or are you being tortured during half the game?

Do numbers really tell you anything? It's the meaning behind them that's important. Even better yet, a better description would be about what kind of an experience a game will give you. wink_o.gif

Agreed - plus, what about the infinite hours of making missions and using addons, not to mention making missions using these addons, what about tinkering with the script engine, forming new eventhandlers, all that?

That sounds like 40^x hours to me, where x is a number with at least 5 digits. Games with a scope like OFP should not even be measured in hours, more like days, or even years. tounge2.gif I think they should have said that in the review, but, hey I ain't their PR guy!

Quote[/b] ][TomGen]

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (Hekezu @ May 18 2006,18:00)

This idea would revolutionize the cti - campaign (everon from OFP) mode:

- you should be able to buy units from every place on map (that would be like calling reinforcement) but they will appear only in main-start supply base. So let`s say you are in the middle of map and want to buy reinforcement. After you buy soldier he will appear in main supply base (far from you), you could buy him a tank, car, etc. You could buy more soldiers (depends on how many will be under your command) and command them as it was before in campaign everon in OFP.

But they will always appear in one place - the main supply base. This would eliminate ghost appearing units which were bought when usually someone captured a town.

For every captured town you would become money as it was before.

Another good thing would be - (minus) money for destroyed units, it would make that players would take care more for their units, it would decrease the using of jumping as a pilot from air unit (when usually unit is being destroyed).

I wanted to make the buying thing in OFP but finally didn`t make it

Good ideas. Yeah, there was a thread somewhere about that topic a few months ago. Now what was it called? Oh yeah, "Next-Gen CTI".. Seems to have disappeared in the reshuffling of servers. whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]Multiplayer sounds pretty cool, as well. There will be cooperative support for two players, at least

Oh dear..what the!..this to mee means 2 or more....back me up here someone confused_o.gif

Meaning you can play the Single Player Campaign in Multiplayer mode with one friend only. ie 2 player campaign. This is fanstastic. Hopefully you can save in this mode. 3 or more would of been better but at least it is a start... Thanks BIS

Yeah this is great! Im so Happy BIS made campaign much more interesting. yay.gif

Weeeeee, campaign as coop with 2 players! I bet this 2 players will be friends for life if they finish campaign together biggrin_o.gif

BIS even tought about friendship.. (i already have someone to play that campaign, Can't wait!wink_o.gifinlove.gif

I really wish you don't mean your girlfriend biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

what a nice addition it is to play the story with your friend smile_o.gif

I agree it would be great to have to wait and enter as a reinforcement wave. A bit more immersion and, you probably won't have the current info and ability to 'cheat' by coming right back where you were and hunting your killers as if you never left. Think it gives a bit of seperation from the previous life and allows someones well laid plan actually move forward naturally for once. Again, by making the reinforcements regain contact and learn about the current situation the HARD way.

reminds me of Wolfenstein a bit. the reinforcement thingy works like a charm there

Was it said in E3 if demo contain MP mission?

i have the impression that the demo at E3 contained only single player mission, will it also demo some multiplayer mission?

Was it said in E3 if demo contain MP mission?

i have the impression that the demo at E3 contained only single player mission, will it also demo some multiplayer mission?

it would be more than fair to merge SP and MP into one pack, usually when Demo is released there are two versions. SP and MP.

Ever played Ennemy Engaged - Apache/Havoc or Comanche/Hokum?

THAT's how a multiplayer permanent war mission should be designed.

A AI commander in each side chose the relevant targets and creates missions with objectives to get that target. Mission is opened for a certain amount of time in a "free missions list", any player can join, if none, some AI takes it and goes on.

Missions are decided on the fly. If player in mission is under heavy attack and ask for reinforcement, for example, AI commander will create appropriate mission (Close Air Support, Combat Evacuation, or just send a squad as reinforcement).

Initial supply and crews are fixed. X men, Y choppers, Z tanks... etc... Few resupply coming from a single location, if any.

Physical objectives gives some kind of bonus, like medical capacity, power supply for various things...

It's a simulated battlefield. You just throw players in the middle.

No unrealistic respawn : once you select a mission to do in the open tasks list, you get to chose available squad that can fullfill this task, ie they have the gear and are near enough, you chose the squad, and take the place of the AI squad leader (for the 1st player who chose the mission in the list) or any squad member if leader is already human. You can drop the AI in squad if you don't like managing AI, this would create a new little squad available at location, you clic "join", and you're thrown in place of these IAs.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm gonna make AA into a single player game.   biggrin_o.gif  New campaigns without character switching, anyone?

Sign me up, Sir!

This Gamespot article is a pathetic one.

"The good news is that in Armed Assault, you'll now be able to switch to different troops in your squad..."

"And for those of you with nightmares of Operation Flashpoint's difficulty (you only had one save game per mission, and since missions easily took more than an hour each, that led to a lot of frustration), the good news is that it sounds like there are a lot more autosave points in Armed Assault".

What's the problem with the world today? Why are people so idiots? Frustration, my ass. Saving after every single shot, bahh. "Nightmares", I just can't believe it!! It's something like when some people say "technodisco or rave or what so-called music is an art", maaaan...

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm gonna make AA into a single player game. biggrin_o.gif New campaigns without character switching, anyone?

Sign me up, Sir!

This Gamespot article is a pathetic one.

"The good news is that in Armed Assault, you'll now be able to switch to different troops in your squad..."

"And for those of you with nightmares of Operation Flashpoint's difficulty (you only had one save game per mission, and since missions easily took more than an hour each, that led to a lot of frustration), the good news is that it sounds like there are a lot more autosave points in Armed Assault".

What's the problem with the world today? Why are people so idiots? Frustration, my ass. Saving after every single shot, bahh. "Nightmares", I just can't believe it!! It's something like when some people say "technodisco or rave or what so-called music is an art", maaaan...

Why are you such a total idiot for nearly threatening bis to death because of an OPTIONAL feature? confused_o.gif

Where did he nearly threaten BIS to death? crazy_o.gif

The guy is only voicing out against the Gamespots article which is moaning about a save feature and how it was somehow very 'frustrating' for people ... it never was for me and besides there was a cheat for it out there not long after ... oh wait he never hung around long enough to know that icon_rolleyes.gif .

Guest Ti0n3r

Hah, In my opinion... Well, OFP was only frustrating if you choosed to play it like a three-year old.

Hah, In my opinion... Well, OFP was only frustrating if you choosed to play it like a three-year old.

Quoted for truth.

Man, the Cold War Crisis Campaign was bitching hard on Cadet mode the first time I played though it (2002).

The then time passed, the US invaded Iraq, Bush got re-elected, Darfur became a world issue, that much time passed.

Then I played that campaign again and now I will say that it is bitching easy on Veteran mode. rofl.gif

Moral of the story? Don't play OFP like a 14 year old. Sucks for your brain if you are 14. thumbs-up.gif