Sign in to follow this  
Serbian Delight

Armed Assault Video E3 Presentation

Cons:

-AI was downright poor while watching the video..see my comments in the AI thread

-Laser sniper...reminded me of the AWP in counter strike. Yes, sniping in ofp, while it should be realisitc, is probably on the level of counterstrike right now. Where was this realistic drag and trajectory that was talked about?

-animations looked a little rough...some of them looked fast, funny, and unnatural. No transitions but I presume this will be fixed...sprint speed also seemed a little fast.

Pros:

-Great graphics

-Animations still much improved

-Awesomevidedistance

-Rivers!

-Switching feature was cool, seemed like a fully functioning battle

Guest Ti0n3r

I just watched it again and I must say, the animations are absolutely the best ones I've ever seen in any game. They look extremely life-like, unlike OFP's 'Somali gangsta militia street fighting stances'. They're even better than the most common community animation packs.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Quote (Alx @ May 15 2006,22:00)

I don't have time to read through 6 pages of comments so sorry if this has been said already.

I couldn't help but notice the small gaps in a couple of the animations;

i) Transition between lying and standing in 3rd person perspective.

The figure looked like he was about 4/5 standing up and then was instantly upright. The few inches between the two states just aren't present.

ii) Transition bewteen walking and running in 1st person perspective. The arm and gun instantly dissapears and reappears.

Number ii) is really going to annoy me as an immersion killer.

Apart from those two observations, it looked very good to me. Can't wait!  

*ALPHA!*

Damned, dont you people think BIS hadnt noticed that? Also, in a preview it said that the anims werent finished yet!

Dude, this game sould already been installed on my pc 5 months ago.

They still hide any indoor actions.

Didnt they finished that indoor lighting also?

For what i have seen of real screen action. ArmA looks like an ofp upgrade. Not a new game.

Just saw the video. All in all, i'm pretty satisfied, of course AI could be better, but i don't know if in this stage of development BIS can make great AI enhancements. The same goes for that sniper rifle. What's done is done, i guess. At the moment the only thing i'm sure about is that i'll buy the game. Also, i wouldn't mind waiting a few more months, even half a year, if it ment improving these things we all saw wasn't so good.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Quote (Alx @ May 15 2006,22:00)

I don't have time to read through 6 pages of comments so sorry if this has been said already.

I couldn't help but notice the small gaps in a couple of the animations;

i) Transition between lying and standing in 3rd person perspective.

The figure looked like he was about 4/5 standing up and then was instantly upright. The few inches between the two states just aren't present.

ii) Transition bewteen walking and running in 1st person perspective. The arm and gun instantly dissapears and reappears.

Number ii) is really going to annoy me as an immersion killer.

Apart from those two observations, it looked very good to me. Can't wait!  

*ALPHA!*

Damned, dont you people think BIS hadnt noticed that? Also, in a preview it said that the anims werent finished yet!

Dude, this game sould already been installed on my pc 5 months ago.

They still hide any indoor actions.

Didnt they finished that indoor lighting also?

For what i have seen of real screen action. ArmA looks like an ofp upgrade. Not a new game.

It is an OFP upgrade, ive no idea why you are expecting indoor lighting, as the indoor areas wont be much bigger then OFP, so theres absolutely no need for it

The problem with you guys is that you all expect too much, its just a nice looking OFP without the old engine limits, and much better multiplayer support, BIS said that they were going to make this, so whats the deal? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]-Laser sniper...reminded me of the AWP in counter strike. Yes, sniping in ofp, while it should be realisitc, is probably on the level of counterstrike right now. Where was this realistic drag and trajectory that was talked about?

Thats why he missed most of his shots wink_o.gif

Bullets are effected by wind and gravity, has been said multiple times smile_o.gif

Well OFP AI currently currently isnt't perfect but still does provide challenge otherwise I wouln't have been playing coop for 5 years now. Some instances of AI using suppressive fire would have been great though, especially if that would be done by machinegunners. For instance, if the AI hears a sniper firing at a distance but doesn't spot him machinegunners could stay where they are or maneuver a bit and start spraying inaccurate suppressive fire to the direction of the sniper rifle sound. The infantry then would start aggressive zigzagging running towards the sniper or perhaps retreat and take cover beyond sniper's line-of-sight. Anyway the suppressive fire even in some rare cases would be very nice addition.

-HAHA that journalist was an absolute counterstrike noob, trying to shoot 20 shots without ANY compensation.

rofl.gif

-HAHA i also bet he was indeed shooting his OWN SIDE.

This combined with easy skill level

(could it be that they weren't in "stealth or danger mode" yet because they didn't reach the waypoint that sets them to this mode, nor do they expect a teammate to start shooting at them, which would also explain why they only started to react after he shot a couple of guys)

-Every OFP-noob i ever saw makes the very mistakes this guy makes: no compensation/ shooting own side

rofl.gif

=> I don't think this video says anything relevant about stuff like ai-pathfinding, ai-attack coördination, etc etc

I think it looked good. And it drove away my framerate-shivers

I was just wondering... none of us saw any crew operated weaponry!

like in FDf, one picks up the gun/ammo, the other one the base/more ammo, then they set the gun up at a different place.

In mods this ruled, although it has some issues in MP (the weapon moving a bit when the gun gets mounted on base,etc).

I had secretly hoped they'd hardcode in something like that.... but then again, who knows what we'll be able to do wink_o.gif .

Either way, OFPForum, you're completely right: Armed Assault = OFP minus engine limitations, I think the persons that complain about what they want to see in it are the people that dont do any OFP editing at all wink_o.gif .

And about the issue of AI.... I think it was the spokesman of Bis demonstrating the features, explains why he had to "ehhh" all the time, talking / gaming dont mix.

Guest Ti0n3r
I think the persons that complain about what they want to see in it are the people that dont do any OFP editing at all.
And those who never played Elite on veteran mode wink_o.gif

Meh i'm still waiting for Independance Lost smile_o.gif

Yeah, me too biggrin_o.gif

I think the persons that complain about what they want to see in it are the people that dont do any OFP editing at all.
And those who never played Elite on veteran mode wink_o.gif

After reading that statement, I'm struck with the urge to go play OFP on "super-AI" mode just to play overwhelmed sniper. pistols.gif

Is there any detailed info about the hardware used on this demo machine? SimHQ preview states it's high-end Dell XPS but that's it...

oh i love the sound of that...

ooh errr.. there are many multiplayer modes.. err... Capture the island .. err. where a side has to take over the entire island against the AI or other players.. ths island is very big. errr.. and you can play for hours, days, weeks, .. err.. and still not complete it..

Ahhh cant WAIT!!!

Is there any detailed info about the hardware used on this demo machine? SimHQ preview states it's high-end Dell XPS but that's it...

From what i see at gammespot and in the shots of IDEA's booth the machine probably has SLI setup with highend geforce 7 series cards huh.gif .

An average CPU today is 2-3 times faster than what was available in 2001.  You might want to look at the excellent VME mod... their AI improvements (done at script level) are nothing short of brilliant.  I am able to run the platoon sized engagements of their improved AI soldiers with no appreciable slow-downs.  I am sure that the CPU would take even less of a hit if those impotents were done to the core engine, instead of script level.

Peace,

DreDay

There are a couple of things that worry me after watching this video, as already mentioned - the AI, DreDay made a good point about this too.

The hardware requirements: the game at e3 was running on a Dell xps pc running in sli dual video mode (2x GeForce 7800 GTXs) 2 gig system ram and a Pentium D 840, a dual-core CPU running at 3.2GHz.

Now towards the end of the video the view distance is talked about and it is said that the view distance is set to 1200 meters and it could be changed but it will go "slow".

Good video, I'm very happy with what I am seeing.

I will not comment the AI until I see them in the Demo. wink_o.gif

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

The hardware requirements: the game at e3 was running on a Dell xps pc running in sli dual video mode (2x GeForce 7800 GTXs) 2 gig system ram and a Pentium D 840, a dual-core CPU running at 3.2GHz.

Now towards the end of the video the view distance is talked about and it is said that the view distance is set to 1200 meters and it could be changed but it will go "slow".

Only 1200 meter view distance with a machine of that caliber huh.gif? I surely hope that we can use longer view distances than 1200 meters with middle range computers confused_o.gif.

what kujina mentioned 2 posts ago really frightens me...apart from that, if BIS presented ArmA like this all over E3, they will prolly not find a publisher. this kinda presentation sucks. it shows only few features (most boring ones-sniping is the easy part...getting in position and out of it afterwards is the fun thing to do...)

and these are not outstanding in any way to current fps.

By this kinda presentation I also understand the really shitty news in the gamezine Gamestar (.de) about OFP.

And you saw how incredibly low-poly the terrain was? One edge like a giant knife shouldn form a hill...

But what I really miss is high grass and optimal AI.

This stupid carpet-floor-like grass is just so...it feels extremely innatural imho...

For all the people that think OFP's AI is quite good enough(I never said it was bad). Ever wondered why in the usual OFP coop mission,I pick the regular FDF mission here, you are doing that much of a damage? Never questioned how one single squad of humans can take over 5 russian bases,destroy 3 russian tank platoons and kill a reinforced infantry battalion in the meantime?

I certainly have.

Everyone here surely also must have been in the painful experience of leading his squad of AI into battle and see them being wasted by the next human in a Bush,pressing ALL,Target Guy over there frantically.

As I said, for Coops were AI serves as a mere target practice or standard-PvP OFP's AI might not be that much of a problem,but if you run your platoon into a handful of humans and have not a single guy grasping the concept of not wanting to die it gets a enormous PITA.

I very much know AI ,good AI is very hard to do,imho it should be #1 Priority for BIS tho and should have been during the last 5 years

P.S: OFP has a Guard Waypoint before those Elite-fanatics come here again and present it as the holy grail

Edit: Not Related - For navigational reasons would be great if those height markings on the contour lines could make it in(as mentioned in a previous thread).

P.S: OFP has a Guard Waypoint before those Elite-fanatics come here again and present it as the holy grail

Did you play OFP:E?

If yes? Well is GUARD different implemented?

If no? .... uhmmm, wouldn't you say your remark is pretty lousy?

(btw, who is the fanatic here. Not me, i just enjoy OFP:E despite console hating OFP fanatics:P)

Did you play OFP:E?

If yes? Well is GUARD different implemented?

If no? .... uhmmm, wouldn't you say your remark is pretty lousy?

(btw, who is the fanatic here. Not me, i just enjoy OFP:E despite console hating OFP fanatics:P)

off topic:  are there any improvements for player commanding his ai to use fortified positions?

In OFP there are "positions" that are highlighted for buildings such as an open house or bunker that are openings such as a window or corridor.  The problem in the PC version is that it's hard to place the AI exactly where you want (they just move in the general vicinity), and then they just stare at the wall.

I got this idea when I was just playing "Clean Sweep II" and I'm trying my two AI guys in than abandoned sandbags fort (just outside the villiage) with proper firing views.

In this improved in Elite?  smile_o.gif

Hmn. Did anyone else notice this in the video?

At 11:12, when the player's running past a corpse, there's a moment where you see some kind of dialog show up at the feet of the corpse. It's too blurry to read, but could this perhaps be a new way to pick up items from bodies, and otherwise interact with things?

Hmn. Did anyone else notice this in the video?

At 11:12, when the player's running past a corpse, there's a moment where you see some kind of dialog show up at the feet of the corpse. It's too blurry to read, but could this perhaps be a new way to pick up items from bodies, and otherwise interact with things?

I see it! Looking interesting.

Did I hear him say "you can't take boats on the sea"? I hope I heard that wrong!  sad_o.gif

Did I hear him say "you can't take boats on the sea"? I hope I heard that wrong!  sad_o.gif

Yo no comprende englias!

Wo de yin yu shuo de bu tai hao! banghead.gif

You get the point. wink_o.gif