Sign in to follow this  
Serbian Delight

Armed Assault Video E3 Presentation

nice video, new things "i" have learnt from it

1 rivers in the game

2 3 months dev+ publishing sad_o.gif ( could be 3months in all)

if hadnt already played ofp and new what that game could do, idea games person wouldnt have convinced me smile_o.gif

as a dedicated fan of ofp, i feel that ArmA is a kind of ripoff! And no i dont think i am moaning, it just feels like BIS is trying to ride on the ofp wave.  sad_o.gif

Well, BIS are making what they said that they are going to make, a OFP 1.5, so dont expect an entirely new game...

Altough it seems that they trew more stuff in then originally planned  smile_o.gif

i did not expect an new game.. and thats just a trick. They said the AI was goint to be MUCH better. well i am sorry to say it but they look as dum as allways. and that thing with ArmA is not about a soldier or rambo is so not true. in ofp one man colud kill an army "easily"..

i will probobly play the game, but still i am not the slightest impressed. although i do look forward to game2, but till that time, ill prolly have kids and less time to play :P

Like it's been mentioned, it's important to remember that ArmA is OFP 1.5. No matter how much 'extra' they add, enhance, tweak and improve, BIS is still essentially using the OFP engine.

Most of the criticisms directed at OFP:

Collision detection

No JIP

No multiple gunners

These have been fixed and streaming tech has been implemented allowing massive islands.

ArmA was never going to be radically different to OFP and  that's ok considering you can't really point to any other game similar to OFP in it's scope. If ArmA had been the 3rd or 4th OFP game released by BIS, then I'd probably be pissed off at the lack of advancement. But it's not. I'd class it as the second (I'm not including Resistance here).

ArmA will probably get a bit of a kicking from some of the press claiming that it's essentially OFP with 'prettier graphics'. Yet the same press happily award Fifa, Madden, PES games high marks every year despite these games having minor tweaks.

What does interest me is the pricing point of ArmA. If it's released priced low/mid-range then it might get some more favourable reviews. If it's full price, then the knives might come out.

Thanks for the video (whoever provided it)!

Video is great and makes me anticipate AA even more.

One thing that i would hope for is that parachuting from helicopters could be disable from the menu, put them under 'veteran' settings or something.

uum... pricing? I though every new game had a kinda sorta standard price?

I fail see the pricing affect the reviews in any way...

True. But not to long ago i saw a gameplay movie of AA, i think it was from a czech game magazine. And during urban combat you just saw enemies running past the player (what happens in flashpoint really often in close combat), and not using any cover what so ever or react to the player. That just shouldnt happen, specially with the large urban area's AA seems to feature.

Agreed. I noted that in the video and thought there couldn't have been any update of the AI in that beta version. I only hope it was a very early beta version, and that they have had or will have a good month or two of dedicated AI development. sad_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Indeed. Reviewers don't pay for their games wink_o.gif

Video is great and makes me anticipate AA even more.

One thing that i would hope for is that parachuting from helicopters could be disable from the menu, put them under 'veteran' settings or something.

Yeah - the parachuting of a pilot (player) should be only allowed when chopper\plane is damaged. Many people (in OFP) bought air units only for the reason to parachut over enemy territory. That was the fastest way to get there but the most unrealistic (maybe there should be minus money for destroyed unit - in campaign mode).

The problem BIS will have is that AI is probably the biggest CPU eater. Really good AI can be done, but it will bring the computer to its knees. Lesser AI allows for all the other bits and bobs we want. AI is better is some other games, but they don't have the other CPU overheads like a 400 km2 map!

I think we are all aware that good AI requires heavy CPU usage. Most of us can also appreciate the difficulty of designing a dynamic (non-scriptable) AI that would work equally well in different environments (deserts, forests, hills, cities).

The criticism that is voiced though, is not that the AI is not perfect. Rather, it's the fact that very little work was done on the AI (from the look of thing).

An average CPU today is 2-3 times faster than what was available in 2001. You might want to look at the excellent VME mod... their AI improvements (done at script level) are nothing short of brilliant. I am able to run the platoon sized engagements of their improved AI soldiers with no appreciable slow-downs. I am sure that the CPU would take even less of a hit if those improvements were done to the core engine, instead of script level.

As for the 400km2 maps, I find it to be more of a novelty. I am sure that I would never get a chance to explore more than 25% of it. I realize that I might be in minority, but I would much rather have a 40km2 island with good AI, than a 400km2 island with crappy AI.

Peace,

DreDay

Very interesting video, i really liked what i saw even if you can notice some certainly unfinished parts here and there.

The AI seems to be the same as in OFP in regards to its behaviour when there is an immediated danger (the soldiers were standing and walking instead of running, when the tank was driving near and its machinegun killing them one by one).

I hope this is something that will be improved, a human player will run for his life or just jump into a bush hoping the tank will not see him in that situation.

The AI should at least try to do the same instead of walking while standing , offering a perfect target. Not sure how much CPU hungry it would be though.

The animations are a -massive- improvement in comparison to what we play with on OFP, /me very happy to see BIS improved them so much .

The game seems to play very smoothly with the improved engine, but i wonder if it is really because of the engine or if it is because the demonstration was done on a high-end computer.

In regard to the animations... I know there not final but I didnt see any inertia. Your either moving or still. There is no getting up, there is no ease out or ease in. I really like some of the graphical improvements in this video but are there any other huge improvements?

Looks great though BIS good work! smile_o.gif

only a few thing that many of you already said

1/AI!!! the bloody AI!!! crazy_o.gif

2/Anime........they seems just a little.......hum....... confused_o.gif

3/center aim is a no no to me (hope it to be an menu opinion)

and from reviews, other things like squad respawn(hope to be a menu opinion), bugs on models/ textures/ units, etc, well be sum up, wont really stop me from buying the final product

colt, well said I agree with you.

Hey people, why don't we just wait until the game has been released and judge it only then after trying it out ourselfs? Wouldn't that kind of judging be more fair? wink_o.gif The shady, blurry and shaky visitor-made video discussed here shows only very little of the game so don't jump into conclusions just yet, please.

I count myself as being in the "Decent AI over huge map" camp. tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hey people, why don't we just wait until the game has been released and judge it only then after trying it out ourselfs? Wouldn't that kind of judging be more fair? wink_o.gif The shady, blurry and shaky visitor-made video discussed here shows only very little of the game so don't jump into conclusions just yet, please.

No mate because its very unlikly that something as major as ai could be easily fixed in a patch. So its better to point out now what appears to be wrong and that were unhappy with, now before the game is finished. AI is also something that modders cant really fix, they can paper over the cracks partially using scripts but to be honest they shouldnt have to do so.

The ai currently appears very disapointing seems to have almost no improvement sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hey people, why don't we just wait until the game has been released and judge it only then after trying it out ourselfs? Wouldn't that kind of judging be more fair? wink_o.gif The shady, blurry and shaky visitor-made video discussed here shows only very little of the game so don't jump into conclusions just yet, please.

No mate because its very unlikly that something as major as ai could be easily fixed in a patch. So its better to point out now what appears to be wrong and that were unhappy with, now before the game is finished.

The ai currently appears very disapointing seems to have almost no improvement sad_o.gif

I think they are pretty much done with the engine used in Armed Assault regarding what kind of functionalities it will have and how the AI behaves. Fixing all the bugs they have made into it will not be easier at all if they would now, close to release, start and modify the engine drastically or even worse, by adding new features. Development of the engine must be freezed at some point so at least some of the bugs can be eliminated. Sorry people but that's just a realistic point of view.

Minor changes to the engine and bug fixes are realistic changes they can make now, but not more. If the release date is close.

Edit: ...or what, BIS? biggrin_o.gif

nice video

animations so good and briefing menu too wink_o.gif

GO-GO-GO Multiplayer demo ArmA yay.gif

If that is really close to the final AI we will see that is very unfortunate.I can't stress enough how important the AI is in OFP/Arma series.All other new features like improved graphics,JIP,multiple gunners are rendered complete useless if the AI still isnt able to put up a fight.What point does it make if you can join a "large scale" battle (lets say company vs company) if one human player still can offset the tactical aspect of it by shooting one AI platoon all by his own.What point does it make if you can lead a group of AI's as a player if in Mulitplayer it all comes down to killing that one human in the squad and be done with it. Sure it won't affect DM or CTF,but I always thought what put the OFP series apart was the ability to go into more complex tactical warfare.

Don't get me wrong,I think all the additions and fixes to the engine are great,but I can't see how people will be able to do large-scale A&D or Coop missions if the AI doesn't know how to survive in a engagement.

Sorry for the ranting,its just very frustrating

I second Lwlooz, AI needs to be much smarter and quick reacting under fire. Not super aim, just quicker reactions and more brains.

In that video AI looked and act liek old OFP but than Placebo told it was old movie he said AI will be much much better than that video so I hope this is the alpha version with same type AI as in the czech video.

I hope the AI when under fire he looks for cover by a tree or another object and run for cover when he see a armoured vehicle not stand there like a dummy to die.

In that video AI looked and act liek old OFP but than Placebo told it was old movie he said AI will be much much better than that video so I hope this is the alpha version with same type AI as in the czech video.

I hope the AI when under fire he looks for cover by a tree or another object and run for cover when he see a armoured vehicle not stand there like a dummy to die.

Isn't that video as new as it gets?

Yes the last video is AFAIK from E3 few days ago but I mean hope it was the alpha version in the last video.

Isn't that video as new as it gets?

who knows...we weren`t sure if ArmA has multiple gunners...now we`re pretty sure about that. Maybe they`re not showing the best AI?...but why? 3 more months...and we`ll see the answer

OH great a big problem i see right now is:

Noobie joins game

jumps in chopper

flys to battle

jumps out of a chopper - killing the gunner

now is back where he died

REPEAT....yeah can we say Bf:2