Sign in to follow this  
Serbian Delight

Armed Assault Video E3 Presentation

The problem BIS will have is that AI is probably the biggest CPU eater. Really good AI can be done, but it will bring the computer to its knees. Lesser AI allows for all the other bits and bobs we want. AI is better is some other games, but they don't have the other CPU overheads like a 400 km2 map!

True. But not to long ago i saw a gameplay movie of AA, i think it was from a czech game magazine. And during urban combat you just saw enemies running past the player (what happens in flashpoint really often in close combat), and not using any cover what so ever or react to the player. That just shouldnt happen, specially with the large urban area's AA seems to feature.

nice video, whoa there will be rivers!  smile_o.gif

Rivers? Not watched it all yet but I only saw inlets, nothing on a gradient. sad_o.gif

One observation/complaint is that the transition between different animations can be a little too quick. They could be a little slower/smoother.

It didnt seem like all anims where finished yet, so i guess screaming *ALPHA* solves it in this case wink_o.gif

@Speeeedy; that vid was so old, it shouldnt be discussed anymore wink_o.gif

I'm kinda disappointed... I thought this would have included something more than just scope views and animation show off. and the guy who was talking made me think he was showing it off like it had been a totally new game in the business, with no OFP ever released. he was like telling obvious things that already came with OFP...

before you judge me, I tell you I had a tough day and I nearly jumped to the ceiling when I saw this topic but the vid kinda brought me back down

I thought Game2 should be RPG, but after searching for NEWS on ArmA the last 3 years, i'm starting to think that ArmA is only a "RPG News Search Adventure" to prepare us for Game2 (jk) can't watch the vid at work damn it banghead.gif

I'm kinda disappointed... I thought this would have included something more than just scope views and animation show off. and the guy who was talking made me think he was showing it off like it had been a totally new game in the business, with no OFP ever released. he was like telling obvious things that already came with OFP...

Absolutelly agreed.

This is a great demo about how the scope views works rofl.gif

I would like to see strykers or humvees or any other vehicle in action (but the present-in-all-previews M1 Abrams)

All I have to say is: patience. goodnight.gif

I am really relieved that everything ran so smoothly ... much better than the trailer

It didnt seem like all anims where finished yet, so i guess screaming *ALPHA* solves it in this case wink_o.gif

Hence why I said "could be" smile_o.gif It does seem that a lot of what is said here makes it's way back to the dev team, so some constructive criticism (on recent builds!wink_o.gif is occassionally productive. wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Keeping in mind that ArAs is supposed to be finished soon I am not really impressed that much. The video was kind of desillusional for me. I had hoped for more. A lot of developement time went into ArAs. But from that video I wonder where it got spent. Don´t want to sound moaning but that´s my impression.

Perhaps they are hidding us more features than they´re actually showing...

But this is only a wish, because I have exactly the same feeling, the same bad feeling.

sad_o.gif

i guess much of the unfinished or nearly finished content wasnt in the build shown at E3 ...

packing every together is just a matter of hours, so its probably done before betatesting starts.

Atleast the guy said that some vehicles have more than one gunner in them. Im sure that brightens someone's day although we already knew it would.

Could someone make out what he was saying about the multiplayer? I couldnt understand anything about it... huh.gif

Could someone make out what he was saying about the multiplayer? I couldnt understand anything about it...  huh.gif

I heard him talking about CTI and something about Halo. He also talked about Deathmatch and Capture of the Flag. He said something about you can have 60 and if your server supports it you can have even more. After that I kind of got distracted by the guy at the corner standing up and going prone repetetivly and then my video cut out.

Guest Ti0n3r

He just talks about CTI. How there's no real limit on how many players it allows, how you can use AI as boots and how you can join a game in progress.

He also says that a CTI game can go on for hours, days even weeks. (I think...).

I guees He = Jiri Rydl

He also says that a CTI game can go on for hours, days even weeks. (I think...).

I confirm that one

not impressed at all.. I only see a improved graphicengine and some anims.. the rest is ofp. the anims of the player seem to laggy at this point imo.

i think BIS have to start focusing on gamers more then VBS type of software.

it seems like BIS is just creating something so that the community can make it better. well mabye some like that but i want to get value for my money. and by the looks of it, if that is to be the case, the game has to be very cheap.

in other words, they should have dropped VBS and ArmA and concentrated om GAME2.

as a dedicated fan of ofp, i feel that ArmA is a kind of ripoff! And no i dont think i am moaning, it just feels like BIS is trying to ride on the ofp wave. sad_o.gif

not impressed at all.. I only see a improved graphicengine and some anims.. the rest is ofp. the anims of the player seem to laggy at this point imo.

i think BIS have to start focusing on gamers more then VBS type of software.

it seems like BIS is just creating something so that the community can make it better. well mabye some like that but i want to get value for my money. and by the looks of it, if that is to be the case, the game has to be very cheap.

in other words, they should have dropped VBS and ArmA and concentrated om GAME2.

as a dedicated fan of ofp, i feel that ArmA is a kind of ripoff! And no i dont think i am moaning, it just feels like BIS is trying to ride on the ofp wave.  sad_o.gif

Well they need money in order to pay people to work on game 2. Seeing how its a game making company the best way to go about it is to make a new game. There are so many new features in it that would make modding a lot easier.

I don't know how the othes think, but it seems to me, as if this is an older ArmA version... there are no transitions between the animations for example...

Ok folks I think we are starting to lose sight of what the essense of this product is. I dont view AA as a game as most have stated. I view it as a system. There is no way you can judge this product from the small snippets that have been presented because the real power of the game is in the scripting and the engine. Recall how lame original OFP looks compared to how it looks today with the wonderful addons this community provided. None of it would have been possible or kept our interest this long without the system that drives it. If we had missions makers and addon makers from the community providing content for AA up front we all would be peeing in our pants right now to get our hands on this.

Bottom line, wait for the game to come out so you can see what is driving this product, then judge it.

we got some new ingame impressions- not the best but better then nothin.

@ all modders- its a great thing to change the look, feel and playability of a game and that is the thing i want to see in armed assault

but you as a modder always uses a 3d engine that is made by the guys of bis and i think its hard to create a 3d engine that gives u the ability to create such a game

im a two left handed guy- so

@ all modders

notworthy.gif

sorry for my bad try to type english

crazy_o.gif

as a dedicated fan of ofp, i feel that ArmA is a kind of ripoff! And no i dont think i am moaning, it just feels like BIS is trying to ride on the ofp wave.  sad_o.gif

Well, BIS are making what they said that they are going to make, a OFP 1.5, so dont expect an entirely new game...

Altough it seems that they trew more stuff in then originally planned smile_o.gif

I hope someone tells the programming/designing part of BIS what people think here. Or we are going to end up in August(or later) with fixed aim and retarded AI that literally runs into your MG fire.

"Well uh,I really thought the freeaim and the difficult AI was something our players didn't like.So we thought to make the game a lot more arcadish,people hate realism.We listen to the community,don't we" icon_rolleyes.gif

Edit: A point I forgot.Redesign the briefing GUI please.What point does a dialog have that obstructs the view on the map.At least make it moveable for christs sake

Guest Ti0n3r

If you don't like fixed aim then turn it off ffs. Also, the AI will come in different modes. Right now I think it'll be;

1. Novice

2. Normal

3. Expert

Of course what we see in that vid isn't perfect. But remember that ArmA is still in its Alpha phase. Hopefully they'll try to make it perfect.

I hope someone tells the programming/designing part of BIS what people think here. Or we are going to end up in August(or later) with fixed aim and retarded AI that literally runs into your MG fire.

Don't the developers have a look at their own forums every now and then? I guess they should have some idea of what the players like, and of course they have their own ideas as to how to design the game. wink_o.gif

Looked good, much smoother than the trailer. Some nice models/animations but looked like there was a fair bit of work left to do with some of them so I'm guessing that Autumn/Winter is favourite for release now.

Loved the seagull rofl.gif