Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Does it look like objects that aren't the center of focus go out of focus?

In OFP:E, in some views, only what you're looking directly at will be in total focus.

After seeing the gameplay improvements in OFP:E, I have complete faith that we'll see major engine improvements in ArmA.

guerilla @ Feb. 08 2006,23:50)]i'm still wondering why there isnt any Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering, isnt this a standard in 2006 ? As they hired Campaign making Victor, i think the engine should be allmost finished, or am i wrong ?

Probably not turned on, BIS isnt famous because of their high quality screenshots wink_o.gif

(altough they arent photoshopped, and i prefer to see some real pics then some copy and pasted crap wink_o.gif )

EDIT: *note to self, reread the post a few times when you use "turned on" in the sentence* tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]kinda like Somalia

No. I guarantee you that you won´t find any place like the one on the pictures anywhere in Somalia.

Looks more like a wealthier ME country clone to me.

Nice work BIS. Keep it coming

biggrin_o.gif

Armed Assault: Oasis on fire ? smile_o.gif

woah. a real leap in quality from previous shots.

great work BIS. To me th emost importnat thing is the whole environmnet 'fits' together. no more cardboard trees stuck into a flat textured landscape.

i agree about shadows from the tree tho. put my dx9 capable graphics card to work please.

The city pic shows it's not THAT big (from the POV, anyway - don't know what's behind it biggrin_o.gif  ), But imagine the quantity of troops, and the cover fire, and the tracers, and the richochets, and the material penetration, and.. and.. and..   inlove.gif  goodnight.gif

Just look at the second and higher floors in the buildings in the background.  This will be SWEET as honey.  Just one problem, I was a member of OFP Anonomous, doing well keeping away of the stuff, and now that digital crack dealer BIS gave me another hit.  Hooked again. crazy_o.gif

Very impressive indeed,

The quality is awesome, it was already very good before, but it reached another level.

superb job BIS icon14.gif

I just got a hard on. RELEASE SCREENSHOTS OF A BLACKHAWK WITH MG'S crazy_o.gif im going mad not seing it. I love all the extra details on the t-72 there. could that searchlight on the roof mean different cuppola loadouts?? (Heh here's hoping biggrin_o.gif but thats probably just my crazed imagination.. probably just because their improved models from previous screenies) to be honest. im not too bothered about grass being grassy.. people will make a 3rd party grassy addon anyway. i just want to see this released at its full potential

Finally some more screenshots!!!! yay.gif

One thing:

Does anyone notice that there is an unusual bulge on the T-72 turret?

Other than that, excellent work..can't wait for ArmA notworthy.gif

Keep up the good work BI

I see some nice visual improvements but those were expected as the game is five years newer than OFP. We haven't seen any new features though. The damaged tanks looks just like in OFP, hence the damage model is most likely as primitive as it's in OFP. We haven't seen multiple gunner positions, quite the opposite, none of the tanks have a coax MG. The infantry might have new animations but the skeleton model seems to be the same, so the hands are unattached as in OFP etc...

If they haven't fixed these big 'flaws' about OFP then I wonder if they have fixed anything but updating the engine with some new real time lighting methods and models? It feels like they are holding back on many of the features a 'realistic' games should have, hoping that the fans of OFP will buy it anyway.

They have shown that they have new up-to-date skeleton models for Game2. Game2 has also a new physics engine with improved damage models. I wish BIS could implement those to ArmA. Game2 was supposed to be released in 2006 so I see no reason why they couldn't add those features to ArmA if they would want to.

Either BIS should give us the best they can do or they should consider canceling the project to be able to focus on Game2 which they actually wants to make as good as they can. It's not like there is a publisher pushing them to get it released. I hope I'm wrong though and that they have actually done something to these 'engine limitations' but nothing indicates that they have.

I'd like to see an untouched in-game shot before I go bananas over the improvements. Don't get me wrong, I'm buying it no matter what, but really, the screenies look no better than 80% of the shots our guys have put up in the OFP photo thread. Heck, Parvus has a photo on the 2nd to last page that looks EXACTLY like these shots, only better. It simply looks pretty much the same as OFP right now as far as edited 'posed' screenshots go. I'm wondering what the big selling point is going to be for the hardcore OFP community and really why this is getting priority over game 2. Is ArmA basically a 5 year old engine with a few graphics improvements and units? If so, why not just concentrate on OFP2 as I can get that with current addons and features. I want to see a screenshot that demonstrates something new, whether it's features or vehicles, not a blackhawk hovering over a pseudo-Tonal island. I'm REALLY impressed with what I've seen with game 2. ArmA. . .not so much.

Better Stability. How could you show that in a screenshot?

sweet, that terrian looks alot better, maybe AA will finally get the game off of the "bad carpet" look.

Yes, the initial reaction for good-looking screenshots is enthusiasm, but naturally OFP has never been about eye candy. Better damage modelling to vehicles, possibly more realistic handling (shifting gears for example, laser rangefinder etc.) smoother in-building movement and fighting, penetrating bullets, real trenches and features, shrapnel-based explosion damage, better soldier damage modelling, multiple weapon stations in single vehicle...just to name a few. Even adjustable rifle sights (like WW2 online)...Those are things that matter far more than eye candy.

But if we get to the eye candy department hopefully they have improved water over those older AA screenshots which had white 'foam' lines running across a lake...

ArmA models look incredibly good and the same goes to the new reflection effects! But as Llauma pointed out, It would be great to get more informations about some gameplay/realism additions and enhancements.

smile_o.gif

Best Regards

Thundebird84

Greetings.

BIS kindly release 2 "New" image's of Armed Assault, only for some to complain about little "flaws" and "..theres a problem here...with so and so" reply's. And besides If they posted pics on this forum with new topic and asked for user input on improvement's, then go and tell them all they need to know.

Can't the images be regarded as "work in progress" (as there is no news on publisher as yet). In most demos, "...games final quality" is always better than any images, videos and demos can promote.

Now, don't get me wrong constructive criticism is okay, but not every thing from the game can be "known" just by watching a screen shot. Maybe when the screen was taken, shadows, AA and Anti-aliasing were turned off? Playing a game is always different in motion and with the battle raging, than watching a static picture but true pictures do say a thousand or so words.

And do not forget it takes time and effort to build and update an engine as it was with Flashpoint: CWC. The game was in development years before the game hit the shelf's finally and OFP is one of the longest and most memorable games, that has kept my interest going from the day they released the Flashpoint demo. That's some achievement in days where games, are "just for Christmas" and not much else.

And, last but not least. If you work on game right this very moment and develop it for two years with your intention to deliver a complete war simulator, restricted by the current specs.

In two years time, your game that was in development and was "cutting edge" would seem "old fashioned to many", in two years time down the line, ...And as new features, IE Graphics Cards, New processors, Operating systems and countless numbers of possible advancements in the Graphics technology would have been developed.

Say for example you release a dozen screen shots two years later after initial development of the game, only for some kids to leave back comments such as, "...Your so missing Pixel Frame 7.9 and Stencil Post Rendering Engine version 5.6" after you read that comment you think lets up date the game and then comes the pain of trying to update your "own work in progress game" ...imagine that.. funny old world.

probably gone OT. (off topic)

Good, glad some screen shots are here. That should keep the troops morale going... for at least a couple of weeks.

In good faith and good work so far BIS.

-Zee

Quote Viktor "...Now it's not just an "extension" or something; the game has become a real successor to Operation Flashpoint in terms of scale, detail and possibilities". Hopefully what he means by "detail" are all of the things mentioned above (Damage modelling, realistic handling, etc). I know for sure that the map is huge and that bullets can actually penetrate objects now (from score magazine Czech previews). I've also heard that the AI is improved, so overall i wouldn't have any reasons to be pessimistic, although I would like BI to polish ArmA as much as they can.

If the viewdistance seen in the screenshots runs well on an average system then I think that alone will be a major change in gameplay. The tanks and helos/planes suffer greatly from the low viewdistance in OFP and thus are not very realistic to play with, so I believe the viewdistance can change the nature of the whole battlefield if it runs well (And is enforced to a much higher value in multiplayer). And of course it improves the looks of the game too, and I'd much rather have a long viewdistance with less detailed graphics than the other way around.

But in the graphics department I'd also like to see those skies made a bit better looking... After all it does fill half of the screen most of the time wink_o.gif

BIS doing hard work on ArmA and you still grumble. ArmA is still OFP engine 1.6 (1.5 not yet). Real Virtuality engine is very complex. Manifold buildings, Sara have 400km2 and you? Every building will be enterable!!! Some poor efects we must forgive. New features we must boost up.

GOOD WORK BIS AND THANKS FOR NEW SCREENS inlove.gif

If the viewdistance seen in the screenshots runs well on an average system then I think that alone will be a major change in gameplay. The tanks and helos/planes suffer greatly from the low viewdistance in OFP and thus are not very realistic to play with, so I believe the viewdistance can change the nature of the whole battlefield if it runs well (And is enforced to a much higher value in multiplayer). And of course it improves the looks of the game too, and I'd much rather have a long viewdistance with less detailed graphics than the other way around.

But in the graphics department I'd also like to see those skies made a bit better looking... After all it does fill half of the screen most of the time wink_o.gif

yeah i agree, the sky box needs work

i'm curious to know that if Game 2 and Arma are using the exact same engine, why are the Game 2 shots floating around far superior to the Armed Assault ones?

Doesn't make sense to me -am i missing something?

yeah i agree, the sky box needs work

i'm curious to know that if Game 2 and Arma are using the exact same engine, why are the Game 2 shots floating around far superior to the Armed Assault ones?

Yes....Lluamax sky inlove.gif

Quote[/b] ]i'm curious to know that if Game 2 and Arma are using the exact same engine, why are the Game 2 shots floating around far superior to the Armed Assault ones?

Arma and game 2 are totally different engines

I'm a simple guy, play OFP:E to death. When i look at these pics and think of these kind of visuals OVER ofp:e game engine i think you will have a bloody stunning game.

Some guys here talk about engine stuff, etc. I played OFPE now for 3 months and i have never seen something weird. The AI and fluidity is great (only inside building is a crime), much better than OFP. I think the engine is just great.

Biggest plus of OFPE over OFP is the immersion. Grass, bees, waves make it much, much more alive. That's why i prefer OFPE over OFP (despite all mod, hires and other stuff)