Sign in to follow this  
ricoadf

ADF mod needs help

from what i can gather u have the right and the left sides of the fuselage mapped on the same part, y not split them up if u have space? it will make the chopper look much better as there wont be any mirroring.

EDIT and im just talking about the fuselage.

The mirroring is basically because the camo patterns are symmetrical (or at least, symmetrical enough to not warrant doubling the required texture space). Decals and whatnot ("Army", serial numbers, etc) will be on a couple of single-sided quads flush with the surface of the body, and will be set via setObjectTexture.

edit:

Though to be honest, for some reason the thought of using the previously-unused texture space to un-mirror the fuselage texture hadn't actually occurred to me. Brain fried. tounge2.gif

Anyways, this layout is about as efficient as I can possibly hope to get it before thoughts of defenestration set in:

arh-tiger_auv-final.gif

Yes, pure art, Sir, that's perfick - although I'm not sure all of those colourful letters will confuse the enemy... rofl.gif

Kidding mate, great stuff! notworthy.gif

although I'm not sure all of those colourful letters will confuse the enemy... rofl.gif

You obviously haven't been keeping abreast of the latest developments in stealth technology. icon_rolleyes.gif

biggrin_o.gif Thanks guys. I've just about finalized everything, including the decal bits, so I'll be starting on the textures. Tomorrow. Since I typically don't do precision art very wel when inebriated. biggrin_o.gif

nice uvw mapping mate , hope you get a nice tiger texture.

btw : i suggest you use one 2048 texture for the hull and several smaller for the smaller parts , like the gun and interior.

However the inside LOD should also take use of 2048 textures

this way you can make accurate writings.

Anyways good luck , Tiger is definitly looking well

Chris

Thanks, man, working on the textures at the moment. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]btw : i suggest you use one 2048 texture for the hull and several smaller for the smaller parts , like the gun and interior.

I'll probably do that for any future vehicles I might get around to working on, but for this one, I'll be damned if I'm gonna redo the unwrap. biggrin_o.gif As is, most of the texture space is just about equally distributed among all the bits, so it should be okay.

Interior LOD will be getting higher res textures, and probably a more detailed model as well.

Okay, so I had some issues getting this rolling, the main one being that I had clean forgotten about the alpha limitations with the engine. The original UV layout included the cockpit and the optics dome, both of which were to require partial alpha transparency, which wouldn't have been a problem except for the fact that I'm only left with 4 bits of color per channel after alpha. sad_o.gif Of course, I only found this out after doing a bunch of selections and other O2-specific stuff, so I had to go off and alter the mappings and reimport. The cockpit and optics dome now have their own textures.

Anyways, after all that careful UV layout, I end up with wasted texture space since I couldn't be arsed to remap the now-unused space. icon_rolleyes.gif

adf-arh-tiger-tex1.jpg

I think I should be okay, though, seeing as the above shot is using a 512^2 texture (same layout as shown previously, so in actuality it's more like a 512x256 tounge2.gif), since both TexView and PAA Tool take bloody five minutes to convert a 2048^2 TGA file. crazy_o.gif Final will use the full 2048^2.

Looks good..it will be nice to have an australian island in which the camo will fit in thumbs-up.gif

Thats ia a bit high for texture res might lag like hell in game thought 1024 x 1024 was the max to keep dencet performance, its why so many other addons lately are unsieable in mp cause they are needlessly high res textures on them.

I may go with a 1024^2 texture, but it'll depend. From what I gather, the issue is with addons using multiple 2048^2 sheets. The Tiger you see above is a single sheet (aside from a 256^2 for the glass, a 128^2 for the optics dome, and a couple of 32x64s and 64^2s for the decals). but if there are issues with 2048^2 sheets in general, there's no problem going down to 1024^2, especially since it looks perfectly serviceable with the 512 sheet, as seen in my previous screenshot.

Having one 2048x2048 for the exterior is fine.

Looking good BTW. smile_o.gif

There is no problem with 2048 textures...

All BWMOD Addons have 2048 textures and no to little lag, which mainly comes from scripts

Thanks for confirming the 2048 issue, and thanks much for the comments so far. smile_o.gif

Tigershark:

I'm using Wings 3D, an open source modeller. Haven't found anything in the last few years that I've been using it in which I can work faster than I can with this app. tounge2.gif

Quickie update, not a huge amount more done, but did a lot of refining and detailing, as well as pounded my head into the keyboard while trying to figure out and fix a whole load of transparency sorting issues. Think I've gotten most of them sussed, with a couple of minor ones remaining that I'll work on sometime later (the most obvious one right now being the muzzle flash).

adf-arh-tiger-tex2.jpg

Oh, dude, that is tits! I mean, that is big fat Oprah tits right there!

Oh, dude, that is tits! I mean, that is big fat Oprah tits right there!

I do believe that's the first time I've ever had any of my stuff compared to Oprah's tits. I'm not quite sure how to take that. rofl.gif Cheers, dude. smile_o.gif

Thanks tankie, Rico. smile_o.gif

Didn't manage to get too much done tonight, just some more detailing and fixing up, so I figured I should at least throw some flat colors on the rest of the bird so it doesn't look quite so naked. tounge2.gif Still plenty more to do.

adf-arh-tiger-tex3.jpg

That pesky law of diminishing returns seems to have started to kick in, as far as time spent vs output. icon_rolleyes.gif Anyways:

adf-arh-tiger-tex4.jpg

Cheers, g'night. goodnight.gif

Been pretty busy with RL stuff, so haven't really had any time to work on the textures, just little bits here and there that aren't really deserving of a whole new set of shots.

However:

gunnercockpit.jpg

Can't find a pic of the gunner's console anywhere. huh.gif