el Gringo Loco

Military Humor

I dont know how old is this or if its discussed here or not , i just saw this right now and it gave me stomach ache from laughs biggrin_o.gif

State of the union address

After watching this though i cant imagine how the guy lip-synched so perfectly in the beginning i didnt even notice it was a spoof until i heard what he was saying properly , the accent is so damn good and convincing.

Now i am having doubts about those bin laden videos that pop up too , they could easily be faked if some civilian can edit this to such perfection wow_o.gif .

suicide bombers, and IED's aren't the only scary thing in Iraq:

crazy_o.gif

I know this was posted a few weeks ago, but I found out this photo was recently found to be fake tounge_o.gif. They managed to enlarge the spiders by 3x....which means they are still pretty big spiders crazy_o.gif...but not goliath spiders wink_o.gif.

Looks like someone typed in "Camel Spiders" on google tounge_o.gif

www.untitled-document.org/.../ camel%20spider.jpg

http://images.google.com.au/images?....+Search

Note: I think thats Mozillas version of google. wink_o.gif

I also heard from a US guy who just came from Iraq that a CamelSpider half the size of those you have in that picture running at him, and he said he blew it in half with his M16 tounge_o.gif .

shark.jpg

Not sure if this was posted before... Its not real by the way, the shark was placed there digitally from a random sea photo.

EDIT: Huh? It posted twice? I pushed EDIT on the last post? rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]Not sure if this was posted before...

Only about every 20 post or so. I've seen this picture and the photoshoped Sparrow missle on the carrier deck a combined 7,384 times.

not so much military related, but equipment was.

http://news4colorado.com/water/watercooler_story_084093321.html

Quote[/b] ]PLEASANT GROVE, Utah (AP) Workers for Utah’s Department of Transportation caused extensive damage when a Howitzer round they fired for avalanche control missed its target and hit in the backyard of someone’s home.

The round was supposed to hit a hill but sailed over it and landed some 9,000 yards away.

No one was hurt in Wednesday’s incident but the round left a six-foot-wide crater and fragments from the shell pierced the home’s siding and lodged in the walls inside.

The department says it takes full responsibility for the damage and will compensate the homeowners for repairs.

The Utah transportation department fires about 550 rounds a year, and says nothing like this has ever happened in the 22 years it’s been using the guns.

Quote[/b] ]PLEASANT GROVE, Utah (AP) Workers for Utah’s Department of Transportation caused extensive damage when a Howitzer round they fired for avalanche control missed its target and hit in the backyard of someone’s home.

The round was supposed to hit a hill but sailed over it and landed some 9,000 yards away.

No one was hurt in Wednesday’s incident but the round left a six-foot-wide crater and fragments from the shell pierced the home’s siding and lodged in the walls inside.

The department says it takes full responsibility for the damage and will compensate the homeowners for repairs.

The Utah transportation department fires about 550 rounds a year, and says nothing like this has ever happened in the 22 years it’s been using the guns.

Theres allways a first  smile_o.gif

How the hell did that happen? biggrin_o.gif

Real simple, I was in the area a couple days after. Here's what happened:

They have had a ton of snow this year and as a result burned through their supply of ammo. They got a new stock recently. When they get the shipment from the Army, each round comes with 7 charges. The canyon that they work in only needs 5 charges to hit the avalanche zones. 7 puts it over the ridge. When they got the new ammo, whoever was in charge forgot that they had to trim the loads. They had a storm over the end of the week, and loaded up some rounds to blast some snow. Rounds went up and over the ridge, which is actually some fairly substantial mountains too.

Iirc, it was a standard towed 105mm howitzer commonly loaned from the army for avalanche control.

Serious article but...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2005-03-29-abrams-tank-a_x.htm

Quote[/b] ]

The Army will not discuss details of how tanks have been damaged by insurgents, lest that give tips to the enemy. "We have been very cautious about giving out information," says Jan Finegan, spokeswoman for Army Materiel Command.

Commanders say the damage is not surprising because the Abrams is used so heavily, and insurgents are determined to destroy it.

"It's a thinking enemy, and they know weak points on the tank, where to hit us," says Col. Russ Gold, who commanded an armored brigade in Iraq and now is chief of staff at the Armor Center.

Because it was designed to fight other tanks, the Abrams' heavy armor is up front. In Iraq's cities, however, insurgents sneak up from behind, fire from rooftops above and set off mines below.

A favorite tactic: detonating a roadside bomb in hopes of blowing the tread off the tank. The insurgents follow with rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and gunfire aimed at the less-armored areas, especially the vulnerable rear engine compartment.

I think it is common knowledge, sir.

They have had a ton of snow this year and as a result burned through their supply of ammo. They got a new stock recently. When they get the shipment from the Army, each round comes with 7 charges. The canyon that they work in only needs 5 charges to hit the avalanche zones. 7 puts it over the ridge. When they got the new ammo, whoever was in charge forgot that they had to trim the loads. They had a storm over the end of the week, and loaded up some rounds to blast some snow. Rounds went up and over the ridge, which is actually some fairly substantial mountains too.

Iirc, it was a standard towed 105mm howitzer commonly loaned from the army for avalanche control.

Not surprisingly, the most common mistake.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use mortars?

Why use mortars when the state could be spending billions on new B-2 Stealth bombers to drop bombs on the avalanche zones? In the Simpsons, doesnt Springfield use B-2s for its "Bear Patrol"?

More news info on the misfire:

Quote[/b] ]

The Utah Department of Transportation missed its target while doing routine avalanche control in Provo Canyon and damaged property in Pleasant Grove Wednesday afternoon.

A 105-millimeter howitzer, commonly used in canyon patrols, went over the mountain and exploded behind a home, said Pleasant Grove Police Lt. Jim Tauffer. He also said there were no injuries from the explosion.

The blast occurred at the home of Lori and Scott Connors, who live at 1665 E. 500 South, and damaged their house, surrounding homes and a vehicle.

BYU Professor Kevin Stoker’s home, which is across the street from the Connors, was damaged by the blast. He said the blast occurred just moments before a school bus would have dropped students off at the home.

Stoker said before the blast, one of the Connors' children laid down to take a nap. The boy usually sleeps on the couch, but Wednesday he decided to lie behind it.

“The front of the couch was riddled with shrapnel and the authorities said he probably would have died,†Stoker said.

UDOT spokesman Tom Hudachko said the shell was not loaded properly.

“The shells come preloaded from the military with seven bags of charge,†Hudachko said. “For this particular shot, we should have removed two bags of charge, but it was loaded with all seven bags, which sent it off the projected course over the ridge and in the neighborhood.â€

Hudachko said UDOT will pay for the damages.

provo.JPG

Why use mortars when the state could be spending billions on new B-2 Stealth bombers to drop bombs on the avalanche zones?  In the Simpsons, doesnt Springfield use B-2s for its "Bear Patrol"?

Because they already spent their entire budget buying rocks that keep tigers away. unclesam.gif  wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Wouldn't it make more sense to use mortars?

I'd be tempted to say no. Howitzers you can use for "Direct-Fire" since I don't think any "avalanche-control" gunners are real eager to try firing indirectly.

Mortars, they'd get the job done but they're a lot less controllable, and much less accurate, by nature. You'd have to use a lot more rounds to get the same effect.

My question is what the Hell the kid is doing behind the couch.

That video... that's one talented group of soldiers. I can't imagine fitting that many troopers into a space that small. With their battle loads too. Jesus H. in the Garden today. crazy_o.gif

Not surprisingly, the most common mistake.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use mortars?

In switzerland they use rocked propelled greandes (bazookas) to bring down avalanches too!

look page 4

http://www.bbt.admin.ch/berufsb....4de.pdf

Not really military related, but sort of...

Outlaw Laid Low by Short Fuse

Quote[/b] ]TIRANA (Reuters) - Albania's most wanted man fought off special police and eluded capture for years only to blow himself up while fishing with dynamite, police and newspapers said Friday.

Dubbed the "Last Cowboy" in northern Albania because of his gunfights with the law, Riza Malaj, 34, failed to accurately gauge the length of the fuse as he tried to blow up trout.

Doctors at the Bajram Curri hospital said he had lost both hands, badly hurt his eyes and suffered serious wounds all over his body. His family rejected offers to have him flown to a Tirana hospital where he would have been arrested immediately.

Malaj was taken to a hospital in nearby U.N.-governed Kosovo.

He was sentenced in absentia to five years in jail on charges of leading an attack on the Bajram Curri police station last year. Since 2000, warrants have been issued for Malaj's arrest on charges of willful murder, armed robbery, armed assault and battery of the education directress of the town.

Dynamite fishing is a no-no tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif