Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

I have read the Polish Site Review translation and it looks BIS need some more time to fix some.

So lets wait some more and be patience thats the only thing we can do.

I meself dont care how long it takes, even if that is spring 2007. I hope that BIS find a good publisher for their product and that they stay together.

Goodluck.

All of the things said where already seen/known, and literally all of those 'facts' are because its still WIP, but its written in such a way that it looks like it wont be changed tounge2.gif

i dont know if anyone has seent he new news on Gamepark http://ofp.gamepark.cz/

but i dont like this news at all.. i mean. 1.5Gb to stream an island  huh.gif

2-3fps  huh.gif

Demo HD space 2Gb  huh.gif

oh dear... i hope this is an old article and most of the potrayed issues have been resolved

For starters you can guarentee that the streaming code in the demo is not fully optimized, if BIS can get Nogova working on the Xbox with its measly 64Mb of RAM I'm sure they can get an island 16 times the size to work nicely on a PC with 256Mb of RAM.

Secondly, seriously people you can NOT expect a game with the level of detail of ArmA to run at 100+ FPS on MAXIMUM detail settings on todays hardware. OFP couldn't be maxed when it came out (in some respects it still can't be maxed out) I really wonder about some people when they expect things to look photo realistic AND run at eye-watering FPS'. The tech is getting there, but it'll take a while yet.

Following on from that point, its common for games these days to run into the gigabytes of data. If you want photo realistic textures, then you're going to have to use some HDD space.

People REALLY need to stop jumping on the "OMG BIS SUCKZ0RS!!1!!11!!!1!!!" bandwagon. Their software is miles ahead of ANYTHING out there, so its bound to have "issues." PLUS its a DEMO i.e. an early version of the code. There are plenty of billboards in the demo saying "this area isnt finished, so dont send me bug reports" the same goes for the code. Come on people, BIS made OFP, give them some credit where its due...

nicely put again deadmeat... You are absolutly right, i keep telling people, it doesnt matter if you got a 7800 you wont get 100fps, and really folks can you tell between 20 and 50 fps?

On the note of the ofp2.info Polish article, It is obviously based on old hence the "Press demo" came out a while back. The new method of picking up weapons i did not like hearing, but like other things they were probobly not worring about how someone picks up a weapon just yet wink_o.gif. Besides, that demo was only 75% complete  smile_o.gif. (Just remember the latest ArmA press release. Bis has made obvious changes.

well, ok..I agree that it was hard to run, even OFP, at max settings...but what about animations ? judging from that article it seems unlikely to have working version very soon crazy_o.gif hopefully, Im wrong.. xmas_o.gif

well, ok..I agree that it was hard to run, even OFP, at max settings...but what about animations ? judging from that article it seems unlikely to have working version very soon crazy_o.gif hopefully, Im wrong.. xmas_o.gif

You have to appreciate that just because the review has only just been written does NOT mean that the demo was only just provided. (i.e. that the demo code is representative of the current code)

As I understand, the demo that this article is based on is the E3 press demo, which is a good 2-4 months old. A LOT of changes/fixes can be made in that time.

People need to appreciate that not only are the demo's works in progress, they are very old representations of that work in progress wink_o.gif

and really folks can you tell between 20 and 50 fps?

Yes 20 FPS in OFP is horrible for me, I'm used to frame rates in the 40's for large CTI's.

Yes 20 FPS in OFP is horrible for me, I'm used to frame rates in the 40's for large CTI's.

I'd agree, below ~40 FPS any change is noticeable. Above 40FPS however, there really isnt (since the human eye can only really percieve ~30FPS this seems a bit odd, but those extra frames really help make the experience seem smooth, especially when moving)

Anyho, I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of model detail (over view distance) to sustain a decent FPS. Afterall, when are you ever going to see that metal grille or the soldiers eyelids other than in "combat-whore-tography" or the odd cutscene? And I don't know about you guys, but I'm all about blowin shit up.

Quote[/b] ]but those extra frames really help make the experience seem smooth, especially when moving)

Anyho, I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of model detail (over view distance) to sustain a decent FPS. Afterall, when are you ever going to see that metal grille or the soldiers eyelids other than in "combat-whore-tography" or the odd cutscene?

Agreed 1000%!!!!

Quote[/b] ]It is no longer possible to slide very fast

What do they mean by that?

Slide with a tank down the hill?

Quote[/b] ]If you use the "run function" while you lie on the ground, you will stand stand up and run.

That's strange... how do we crawl fast then?

Quote[/b] ]It is no longer possible to slide very fast

What do they mean by that?

Slide with a tank down the hill?

Quote[/b] ]If you use the "run function" while you lie on the ground, you will stand stand up and run.

That's strange... how do we crawl fast then?

Say it with me: It's the E3 demo, and the E3 demo wasn't complete.

Do not assume that everything you've read about the E3 demo automatically applies to the full game as well. It was a 75% done work-in-progress. Tons of stuff was missing.

I'd agree, below ~40 FPS any change is noticeable. Above 40FPS however, there really isnt (since the human eye can only really percieve ~30FPS this seems a bit odd, but those extra frames really help make the experience seem smooth, especially when moving)

Anyho, I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of model detail (over view distance) to sustain a decent FPS. Afterall, when are you ever going to see that metal grille or the soldiers eyelids other than in "combat-whore-tography" or the odd cutscene? And I don't know about you guys, but I'm all about blowin shit up.

yeah i sorta exagerated... but hell im used to 6-11 fps on ofp with all settings turned down so you can see that if i can get 20 fps, im happy... but lets hope that changes when i order a new pc soon...

Can anybody translate the entire article? On the OFP.info site it said that the info provided was only a part of the entire thing, and since it's three pages i'm sure that there has to be more good stuff in there. Anyone wanna step up? (I dont speak polish so im helpless here)

I've just read the original article and its translation - summary on ofp.info and I have to say that the translation has some major mistakes. I don't have time to translate it all but I'll corect some things:

Quote[/b] ]

# It is no longer possible to slide very fast

Should be: "It is no longer possible to crawl very fast."

Quote[/b] ]

# The physical engine is not perfect, a soldier which was killed by a PK flight 200 meters away. Tanks are also still jumping like in OFP.

It was not PK. It was some kind of a high caliber (tank?) gun.

Also some interestnig facts:

Quote[/b] ]

# A lot of animations are still missing.

For example if you move when crouching it is like you "were iceskateing." There is also some kind of option for climbing the obstacles but it doesn't work yet. (when you chose it nothing happens)

There is also some kind of option for climbing the obstacles but it doesn't work yet. (when you chose it nothing happens)

That's very interesting. smile_o.gif

It is no longer possible to crawl very fast.

I hope that will be added in. I don't know why they would take it out. We need the slow stealthy crawl and the run for you life crawl.

Quote[/b] ]armandobronca Posted on June 24 2006,14:41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't care about anims, sounds, textures, and even models.

All that things will be modded.

I prefer bis spend the time in making a better engine with less limitations. Btw the thing i want to see really improved is the scripting.

Agree 1000%!!!!

I don't reviewers will think the same on this. Especially don't care about sound?!

Seriously I don't want to download modifications to have this to fix game. OFP was good out of box (for 2001) so should ArmA.

Yup, I think i was wrong there.

I really hope they improve every part of the game.

Anyway i must say im happy with current graphics, anims dont look so bad for me, and sounds ..., well, they have to work at that.

Thats why i said i prefer they work in modding tools, scripting and engine limitations, because im already happy with what i see.

Excuse my poor English crazy_o.gif

the graphics is just for sale, i will probobly try to replace the AA models with OFP models if possible, less polys... = less lag, low texture = more units possible.. = Huge view distance possible...

Directed at DeadMeatXM2

for your information DeadMeatXM2, i was mearly expressing my concern, at the latest spec of the teh demo.. but i am no way, growing unsupportive of BIS's work, and i am not losing confidence in their progress.

Directed at DeadMeatXM2

for your information DeadMeatXM2, i was mearly expressing my concern, at the latest spec of the teh demo.. but i am no way, growing unsupportive of BIS's work, and i am not losing confidence in their progress.

A tech demo thats 2-4 months old (possibly older)

You've got to take demos and the like with a pinch of salt, and have confidence in BIS that they will fix these shortcomings.

There's a big difference between fully workable demo (E3 in this case) and continious updates of graphics, engine, animations, models, etc. You have to wrap up everithing that works and then make a demo... wink_o.gif

I see there´s a lot of discussions just because of an unfinished demo. Let´s wait a little bit more and see what happens.

...Now i'm totaly convinced that more and more stuff what was suppose to be in Game2 are now in ARAS. And i can`t even imagine how Game2 looks right now. notworthy.gifxmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]It is now more easier to drive vehicels and fly helicopters because tjhe control of them became more easier.

What does it mean? wink_o.gif

I think vehicles and choppers in OFP is enough easy to drive and fly. Vehicles have no manual gear change and don't slip even though you drive roughly. Choppers are so stable that you need not to care about an altitude.

How can you make them easier than those of OFP? huh.gif

In fact vehicles in OFP are so easy to drive that makes the experience little realistic, specially when driving cars.

Quote[/b] ]It is now more easier to drive vehicels and fly helicopters because tjhe control of them became more easier.

What does it mean? wink_o.gif

The author of the interview on www.gry-online.pl writes that driving cars is more fluid because the terrain don't have so big edges. It is smoother than in OFP.

Guest Ti0n3r

I'm guessing that it's the same as in Elite, where the vehicles feel more natural/smooth or whatever you wanna' call it.

Evaluating everything that i've seen and read about Arma i doubt the demo/game is 75% finished, not just doubt it but i hope!

I remember reading that no tree in Aras was "handmade" and everything was done with that 3d scanner (Linda)?

I recognise alot of them, unless their just place holders.. confused_o.gif .

Im happy to read that the graphics can be toned down to Resistance quality because the use of shadders and shiny effects on surfaces gets on my nerves, i apretiate improved lighting, nice models/ textures and better colours (digital vibrance style) but i also expect it all to look natural and photorealistic like Nogova wink_o.gif .

I feel ready to see new features in action other than the graphical facelift at this stage. Im tired of speculation has it always leads to unrealistic expectations.

I havent see one single plane, a boat (aircraft carrier, i wish...), some animals, multiple weapon mounts/turrets per vehical, etc. Just a bigger and better looking game.

Can we fastrope from a helicopter properly in Arma? If so then show it to us! Show us the progress upgrades in a less graphical and more "functionality" based way smile_o.gif .