Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Talking about AI. Yesterday Ive played GRAW OGR coop for several hours. And damn, AI is impressive there...they get behind cover, and don't run around like crazy. Meh, I guess it's too late to demand AI makeover. icon_rolleyes.gif

Can someone put that Pot Pourri video on YouTube?

It's over 100MB so unless someone can send me it compressed under 100mb I can't put it on.

Talking about AI. Yesterday Ive played GRAW OGR coop for several hours. And damn, AI is impressive there...they get behind cover, and don't run around like crazy. Meh, I guess it's too late to demand AI makeover.  :rolleyes:

You wouldn't want GR AI to take over:)

(talking consoles here GR/GR2/GRAW/OFPE)

GR AI is very limited (very scripted) and if there is some vehicle it becomes plain stupid.They can get away with it because the maps are so small.

In OFPE the AI can do some stupid thing, agreed, but at least it feels different every single run. That is very important to me being a co-op junkie:) ... in fact the surprises offered by OFP/ArmA AI masks a bit the stupidity.

In GR (and other shooters are even worse) i always feel i'm studying a pattern so to beat the game. In OFPE i of course know the general picture of a certain co-op mission but i could never tell the behaviour 'where/when' of the individual unit (mostly thanks to the 'guard' waypoint which i started to love very much when designing missions in OFP:E)

So yes, if you design a 'GR(AW)' map in ArmA perhaps you will think GRAW is 'better' ... but throw in 2-3 UAZ on guard in some nearby town and you will soon realize how much more mature ArmA AI is over GR(AW) ... GR(AW) simply can't handle/do this.

Which part of which vid are you talking about?

Because if it's when he's testing ricochets, he's using a silenced weapon and shoots 10m away, on solid ground surface, so it's normal the hit souind is louder than the silenced shot, isn't it?

heya, i think they talking about the pot pourri video rather than the delected scenes vid

bootneckofficer

Yes you can hear the bullet hit sounds in the potpurri video and the Saveing Mr Banana man Video's

Talking about AI. Yesterday Ive played GRAW OGR coop for several hours. And damn, AI is impressive there...they get behind cover, and don't run around like crazy. Meh, I guess it's too late to demand AI makeover.  icon_rolleyes.gif

BI have always maintained they are going to add/improve the AI, maybe they still will...?

Quote[/b] ]BI have always maintained they are going to add/improve the AI, maybe they still will...?

Indeed, and that AI would be one of the last sections to go in.

Did anyone care to notice that vehicles travelled on only one side of the road...and stayed inlane? smile_o.gif

could we have a section for modders?

When there's a point to having a section for modders, yes smile_o.gif

Did anyone care to notice that vehicles travelled on only one side of the road...and stayed inlane?  smile_o.gif

Yes, just as we were told in an old (very old) interview. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kyle you are the rolleyes king wink_o.gif

Anyways was watching the shooting range video earlier, Impressed by the way the ai uses lean, wall hugging etc to cover all sections. I can see them being somewhat of a challenge in Urban environments later.

lol funny you should say that here is average joe ,i once found joe hiding behind a wardrobe on fraghaus. smile_o.gif

joekx8.jpg

back on topic . the shooting gallery vid was rather good.

Anyways was watching the shooting range video earlier, Impressed by the way the ai uses lean, wall hugging etc to cover all sections. I can see them being somewhat of a challenge in Urban environments later.

That was a human player Average Joe. OFP/AA AI are good, but not THAT good!

I just watched all 4 of the vidoes though, and they were excellent. Made by a Flashpoint fan no doubt as it showed all sorts of stuff I was interested in. That scene at the start of one of them where it is really foggy and going up a hill was great, as was the part where the guy was just standing around a campsite in long grass. You could all but feel the horse fly's biting him.

No one can resist camping outside their local game shop upon AA's release now...

Talking about AI. Yesterday Ive played GRAW OGR coop for several hours. And damn, AI is impressive there...they get behind cover, and don't run around like crazy. Meh, I guess it's too late to demand AI makeover.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Some of us were actually demanding an AI makeover from day one, while others were insisting that the developers spend their precious time on including the knife fighting (hint.. hint..)   wink_o.gif

Peace,

DreDay

i can still dream of battling zombies with a baseball bat... tounge2.gif

don't worry DreDay i think Bis works on the a.i more than on adding mele weapon attacking.. wink_o.gif

And here's the best part: They're not done yet!

At least another month for tweaking and testing! yay.gif

mkay... That's wierd. Just reread this. Now that a date is set, seems I'm happy about it taking more time to tweak. Within the deadline of course. Funny how the mind flip-flops like that. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]BI have always maintained they are going to add/improve the AI, maybe they still will...?

Indeed, and that AI would be one of the last sections to go in.

I still have faith (or is it hope?) that BIS will pull off a miracle and implement an appreciably improved AI in ArmA.  However, as Project Manager with many years of software development experience, I have to point out that it is a terrible decision to wait till the last moment to implement such an important game play component.  Then again if anyone can pull it off, it's BIS...

Peace,

DreDay

i can still dream of battling zombies with a baseball bat...  tounge2.gif

don't worry DreDay i think Bis works on the a.i more than on adding  mele weapon attacking..  wink_o.gif

LOL! Thanks for the reassurances Commando84; now I can sleep at night... unless of course BIS decides to implement commie zombies...

Peace,

DreDay

I still have faith (or is it hope?) that BIS will pull off a miracle and implement an appreciably improved AI in ArmA. However, as Project Manager with many years of software development experience, I have to point out that it is a terrible decision to wait till the last moment to implement such an important game play component. Then again if anyone can pull it off, it's BIS...

Peace,

DreDay

Who says they've been waiting to work on it until now? All we know is they haven't implemented it in any of the press builds so far.

is BIS financially dependant of arma succes for game2 development?

As 450R said, who said BIS were waiting for the last minute to write the new AI code? In fact they were talking about the AI improvements they had already made months ago - they just weren't added to the press demos, presumably because it was still work in progress.