Sign in to follow this  
jimgun

Jumping?

Will jumping be an addition to the gameplay that wasn't in ofp/ofpr?

I sincerely hope not. The main reason ofp/ofpr came to be the game I have loved above all else was the fact that you couldn't hit space bar to jump and/or then prone, in the safe knowledge your enemy is seeing wild animations. Cover provided security in a firefight, not mad little bunnies hopping all over the place shooting out m203 after m203. And as we all know, the need to find and give cover directly influences the amount of teamwork needed.

So..anyone care to let me know if jumping will be a facility available in Armed Assault - as it's important to me...it really is. goodnight.gif

If BIS ever do include jumping in future I hope they make it so you can only jump a certain number of times before you get tired and cant jump anymore until you stop running and get your breath back. Also the jumps would need to be kepted fairly low.

If not I'd rather not have it at all, best off to play games like Unreal Tournament for jumping. I used to play the original UT online and 2003, it's good for your reflexes thats for sure.

I hope BIS add jumping, swiming, climing,.. but make it hard to do so often or do crazy thing (all things are for realistic game - will be tired or dont have hotkey for it, or the key very hard to reach like if in option menu you change foward is w then immediately the jumping key jumps to backspace, crazy_o.gif etc,.. hey, its fun isnt it?)

Will jumping be an addition to the gameplay that wasn't in ofp/ofpr?

I sincerely hope not. The main reason ofp/ofpr came to be the game I have loved above all else was the fact that you couldn't hit space bar to jump and/or then prone, in the safe knowledge your enemy is seeing wild animations. Cover provided security in a firefight, not mad little bunnies hopping all over the place shooting out m203 after m203. And as we all know, the need to find and give cover directly influences the amount of teamwork needed.

So..anyone care to let me know if jumping will be a facility available in Armed Assault - as it's important to me...it really is. goodnight.gif

Lol,somehow I think you play bf2.

Yeah jumping is a nuesence like that...dang bunny hoppers,its not as much bunny hopping thats annoying but the bunnies with those grenade launchers.

I kinda hope they dont really add jumping,it has more bads than goods to it,jumping ove stuff in a campaign or modification doesnt really justify how much jumping the kids will be doing,not to mention that they will probably find a "no tired of jumping" type hack or something,its just not really worth it.

Jumping, in my opinion, should be allowed. There were times where I came to a small step up in OFP that was just a slight bit too high for the guy to get over it.

But remember, these guys are fighting w/ loaded packs, so if they could jump, it's not going to be as if they were a professional basketball player.

The thing about other games and jumping, is they jump on average 2-3 feet. I doubt when you're fully loaded w/ ammo and equipment you're going to be jumping any higher then a foot at most..

rather then jumping id perfer to see some sort of climbing or somthing to get over obsicles. maybe when you get close to an object that you can jump or climb over you get an option in the action menu or maybe a hot key? then it plays an animation of you climbing over or jumping over what ever it is your next too? would stop people jumping around like idots in the middle of the battle field.

Or maybe just make the jumping animation so that you cant fire whiles jumping, and when you land you come down on your knees and take a few seconds to get back onto your feet. So once the said 'bunny hopper' trys to jump he gets stuck in the jumping animation (takes a lil run forwards holding gun by the lil handle on top of it, jumps, lands, kneels down, gets back up, back to normal) this would take a good few seconds from which he cannot shoot and has no control of, making him an easy target for every one else. So now once the bunny hopper learnt its lesson hell only use jumping to actully get over or across things rather then to avoid bullets and tank shells.

I think jumping is ok as long as you don't end up making crazy stuff like reloading when jumping etc. IMO even reloading when jogging is too much. At least for me, it's quite tricky to put the empty magazine back to a mag pouch while running.

Baah, what's wrong with firing and jumping? That's not too unrealistic IMO. Of course, the accuracy when jumping would be even crappier than when running. But comeon, imagine hopping into a trench (trenches anyone?) filling your enemies with nickel!

Well, jumping, swimmin and all these stuff in RL depend on how heavy your stuff is, so a simple soldier with one M16 could jump and swim without any problems I guess. As for me, I'd love swimming too, and I think Elite has it(not for sure), but I'm not interested in jumping. Jumping with 50kg of stuff is quit a challenge, and SAS training includes marching a lot with 50kg of stuff.

Anyways, what does IMO mean?

We had this topic sooo many times... why do people always dig it out? sad_o.gifband.gif

We had this topic sooo many times... why do people always dig it out? sad_o.gifband.gif

Lack of any thing better to talk about on the subject of ArmA since where infomation starved huh.gif just check out the 'New exclusive screenshot' thread, its gone on 23 pages! im not even sure there talking about ArmA any more.

Well, jumping, swimmin and all these stuff in RL depend on how heavy your stuff is, so a simple soldier with one M16 could jump and swim without any problems I guess. As for me, I'd love swimming too, and I think Elite has it(not for sure), but I'm not interested in jumping. Jumping with 50kg of stuff is quit a challenge, and SAS training includes marching a lot with 50kg of stuff.

Anyways, what does IMO mean?

IMO = In My Oppinion.

Another one is

IMHO = In My Humble Oppinion

Anyway, jumping won't and shouldn't be implemented in this type of game. This is a military simulation kinda thing.. Have you ever seen soldiers jumping around on the battlefield?

Its about staying low as possible, not the opposit biggrin_o.gif

We had this topic sooo many times... why do people always dig it out? sad_o.gif  band.gif

Sorry. Just got in from pub last night after a few beers. Couldnt be bothered with search button. Plus, your post was pointless.

People who did reply giving me info i wanted, thanks - *rubs hands in anticipation and glee*

I think H&D2's jump-type thing worked quite well.. You could climb over small walls/out trenches..

- Ben

(I'm back for a small comment)

a 'fall' anim might be quite nice..

just that it looks a bit wierd when you get up on a small object, then when you get off, you just fall to the group, staying exactly the same/rigid

if there was ever ragdoll effect (Which I doubt) in any operation flashpoint game.. a 'semi ragdoll' effect when you fell would be nice (so you would be knocked around a bit)

Jumping would be 'helpful' at times, and 'kinda realistic' (for example, if you had to jump a small gap between 2 building ledges in a bombed out city, or jumping between two obstacles)

I could imagine it kinda being worked into the running animation, so you did a running jump, landed, squatted down a bit, then back to running..

but it would have to be really detrimental to stamina.. would make it so you couldnt sprint for much longer, quite bad aim, etc.

The idea of jumping, then being stuck in 1 place for 4 seconds while you get up would be nightmare-ish.. imagine if you were on a single player mission.. there's a machinegunner covering an opening between two obstacles.. you have to jump.. but misjudge the distance and have to sit there, helplessly, for like 5 seconds while a machinegun tears you apart.

I say nay to free jumping, it'd be too much work to make it completely un-exploitable. Like in OFP1, even though there's no jumping you can still get to "un-accessible" rooftops, balconies, trees etc by exploiting the collision detection. Also, I don't really even see any good reason for jumping in OFP, it's not like there's tons of small obstacles everywhere blocking your way.

I really hope theres no jumping, people bunny hopping every where while i shoot them i really hate that, call of duty springs to mind.

I very much doubt it anyway.

go tie 50 pounds to your back then try and jump....

good luck

I never missed jumping in OFP.

Any1 really missed it?

nope... who needs jumping when you've got pole vaulting..

seriously..run at your desired obstacle (this could be a moving tank)stick your gun in the air and quickly look down as you run into it..the tip of your gun will boost you up and over (or ontop of )said obstacle wink_o.gif

no, even 'a simple soldier with an m16' couldn't swim with his load, he will just sink because of all the other shite a soldier is given these days.Even with the evacuation of Dunkirk which happened at the start of ww2, i've heard some men drowned because they did not take their whole kit off. The only ones that could swim should be very lightly equiped spec op frogmen, and civilians.......and dogs

edit(after reading orsons post): i forgot about how they fixed the glitching :P, so now you won't be able to get through those 1 foot tall fences. In sake of realism, you should at least be able to get over them by throwing a leg over or something. i'm not particularly the one for jumping, even if it was limited to 1 every 5 seconds. You really can't jump with a regular infantryman's equipment on you.

Some other games have a class system ... Gunner , medic , rifleman etc ...

these would be one way to introduce different stats and possibilitys

for e.g you could allow the medic a jump but only if he just has a small size med pack

I know i have taken advantage of the cliping bugs that can happen in Ofp and have used them to get past a wall or simlar

just run at the wall at full speed and press get down as you reach it , sometimes the wall wins and you are still on the same side.

.. i see at as more like throwing yourself over the wall

If the object isnt too high i would like the inclusion of a" throw yourself over head first " option

i bet 7.62 can get you over most things in a hurry biggrin_o.gif

Well i dont want this game to look like CS.

Want to know my opinion about CS.

It is a circus game where every single player is a clow that jumps around the map all the time.

Shall i say more?

No i think u already got the point.