Sign in to follow this  
brataccas

What if...

Heres a (rather weird) question ive always wanted to ask u all, Lets say armed assault was not going to be a game atall and all it was was an engine upgrade, meaning No addons, no campaign, no nothing except a mission editor and an upgraded o2 that allows you to make things with much higher poly count and shader model 3 compliant, but lets say this engine upgrade made all the pre ofp1 stuff no lag atall gone forever and this "engine" would cost Å20 ($35) would u all still buy it? and rely on the talented ofp communuty to make all the good higher poly count addons with shaders? Im just so curious to see if you would buy it just for no lag etc and higer gfx of course.

My answer: I probably would buy the engine disc smile_o.gif

I would buy it if thats all they did, but I dont think I would pay $35.00 for it. I would pay 20 to 25 for it though.

I would be happy with suppression fire effects and some other AI enhancements, even without the pixel shader improvements.. But the building collission detection seems pretty big to me so those two then, i find indoor combat almost impossible to enjoy in OFP 1.

marcus

i would buy it too.

if there aren't new addons and campain, the community will create ones. wink_o.gif and new graphics/effects.

Raptor smile_o.gif

It really depends...

If its just an graphical upgrade I wouldn't... Although just the new multiplayer modes would allmost be enough for me smile_o.gif As well as the new collision detection.

I would definitely buy it, even if it were 45 Euros.

An engine upgrade is all I wanted.

I mean I would even buy a no-lag-fix (graphics engine and netcode) alone with no further enhancements for 35 Euros.

That would be more worth that Half-Life 2, Far Cry and a bunch of other kids games together.

Let´s put it this way, if Armed Assault don´t have upgraded sound engine then i seriously consider to not buy it.

@ Sep. 29 2005,18:13)]Let´s put it this way, if Armed Assault don´t have upgraded sound engine then i seriously consider to not buy it.

Traitor!!

I think the sound engine in OFP is really good. One of the things I really like is the sound delay depending on how far away a sound was played at, that gives the game a very realistic feel overall. To this date I've never heard any other game sound as good in large combat with soldiers, tanks, choppers and planes etc.

Dosnt really matter tho since we know there will be addons and a new campaign. No point it talking about "what ifs" that we know wont come true... you know?

But Id buy it anyway smile_o.gif

It does that already, methinks! Blow up a tank from several hundred meters away and check it out.

Thats what he said, m8 smile_o.gif

Although I think some of the sounds ned replacements.. Ressistance did it a little, but imho not enough.... Just look at the G3 riffle... it sounds no near what it does in reality.

I hope they don't go overboard with fancy bloom effects and similar gimmicks.

Personally I liked the muted look of the original OFP. The only real drawback was the problems with buildings and perhaps the desolated grass look.

marcus

I'd wait a few weeks, see how many addons and stuff for it were made

or, if it worked with OFP addons (But to do that it'd need the data.pbo and data3d.pbo, in which case, why not include the original addons too? And the campaigns? Their already made, maybe spend a few weeks and make the models better, or hire some community people to do them?)

But, I think BIS doing this would be a very very bad idea, as Mr Random isn't going to buy a game that says "Caution : Game Engine only, requires community content"

It wouldn't sell very well.. But, surely hiring a few people to make your 4 year old models a bit better, and apply some of the new featres in your new engine, tada, youve got a half-decent, hightly-modifyable game.. Pleases everyone

But, yes, chaces are I'd buy it

- Ben

afterall, armed assault will basically be that, flashpoint updated, kinda like delta force extreme, the old game updated to todays graphical enhancements

I think the sound engine in OFP is really good. One of the things I really like is the sound delay depending on how far away a sound was played at, that gives the game a very realistic feel overall.

the problem, though, is that the sound only changes in volume the further away it is, making it nearly impossible to tell how far away a gun-fight is going on, because it might sound as if it was only around the next bend and yet be >1km away. a good sound system would change the actual sound, so that the lower frequencies of a sound went further than the higher frequencies (example: thunder from far away is a deep rumble, thunder up close is an explosive crack; its the same with weapons). this is one of my top wishes for things to be fixed, if not in ArmA than in ofp2.

anyway, to get back on topic, i would definitely pay $35 for a fixed and updated ofp1 engine/netcode; in fact, that's what i've been hoping ArmA would be.

My answer: I probably would buy the engine disc  smile_o.gif

very unlikely.

The majority of people have only bought OFP:CWC, this would mean: "Hey people, try to organize a copy of Resistance or GOTY, and then you can install our new product!"

Hmm, no, i wouldnt buy an updated engine and tools and relly on modders to deliver the content.

a) Art and sound - Addons made by diferent modders look and sound diferent, most of the time addons made by diferent artists that dont work together dont look good when put in the same environment, there has to be a uniform look and sound to everything seen and heard in the game environment, regarding models, textures and even sounds, if the game's art looks too diferent the overall look of the game becomes bad even if the addons/units are of extremely high quality.

b) Standardisation - Armor, amunition, stealth, etc, OPF features alot of diferent units, shells, amunition, armor, missiles, etc, user made addons are usualy not compatible or balanced with eachother because there are no standard values enforced, the result is gameplay incompatbility, lack of missions and too much photography.

c) Quality ensurence - There will always be bugs in addons, compatbility problems, performance issues, minor issues, MP issues, etc, professional made content is (most of the time) bug free and maintains good performance and playability when put together.

d) Functionality implementation - It would impossible for the game programers to implement every single addon possibility function into the game code, this will make addon makers resort to external scripts to implement some specific functions in their addons, these type of workarounds are sometimes nice but also limited and nowhere near functions that are built in the game code, artists working side by side with the programers will achieve better addon/unit functionality implementation.

e) MP compatbility - You would need to install too many addons in order to play in most servers, maybe even some addons or mods that dont really suit your liking, you would sometimes need several diferent versions of the same addon, 20 M4's, 10 AK74's, 5 Nogovas, etc.

I could go on...

Addons are very nice and very apretiated, they involve alot of time and work and most are done has hobbies by people who like to make them but making art and units for a entire game would require too much time and free work and the result has a whole wouldnt be the same has a dedicated professional team working together, addons are aditions to the game and even mods relly alot on oficial made content, alot of neat stuff has been acomplished for OPF but whats asked here is behiond exageration smile_o.gif .

Seeing as I play nothing else and have no interest in any other games (1 is enough, I have a real life too! ), I probably would buy it.. But I guess my concern would be how popular that would be?

OFP is all but on it's last legs now as we await Armed Assault, would this option be enough to jam the servers under the sheer weight of players.. I personally doubt it.

BIS are doing things right..although I find it odd that we're in Q4 and still no confirmed release date yet? *nudge* wink_o.gif