Sign in to follow this  
l etranger

Islands complexity

What about the terrain resolution? AFAIK the current OFP engine has resolution of 30 meters and that makes construction of many terrain features (for example ditches) very difficult if not impossible. sad_o.gif

I just hope it wont be another LAGova, Nogova is big but too laggy and barren, lotsa empty terrain there with no cover, if thats the case i would rather have a more detailed Malden/Everon type island with more cover because gameplay is more important than size and considering OFP's original islands already provided enough space for infantry, armor and helicopters they suit me just fine.

Better looks, better terrain, more cover and concealment and more details definetly but i dont know why we would need a island bigger than Nogova really. anyone remember Tonal?

Quote[/b] ]t looks good, but seems to lack some rocks, fallen tree logs and other objects that could improve gameplay by providing solid cover, so we can take advantage of the rock solid colision detection .

There isn't going to be rocks there probably. The way the terrain looks there is a good chance that all that ground is just soil and not rock. You have to look at it from a reality perspective too not just a gameplay one.

There isn't going to be rocks there probably. The way the terrain looks there is a good chance that all that ground is just soil and not rock. You have to look at it from a reality perspective too not just a gameplay one.

There will always be compromises considering they wont be capable of simulating RL levels of detail and objects and nobody i know can run the game in very high level of terrain detail, maybe if the a.i. doesnt pinpoint and shoot so acurately and the new colision detection really works we can take cover behind the trees smile_o.gif .

The Shara Desert isnt all that plain.. although about 95% of it is just sand tounge2.gif

Looks detailed enough for me:Screen

EDIT: Fixed Link

It looks nice, yes. But the resolution seems to be the same as in original OFP, one height point every 30 meters. And that means that you can't make detailed terrain features such as narrow mountain roads, ditches... It would be nice to have at least 10m resolution. help.gif I hope it will be introduced, if not in ArmA perhaps in a later patch? xmas_o.gif

I agree, that would be nice.  That screen still looks very beta to me, here's hoping.  I know they made the improvements in a manner that OFP content would port over, but to have the ability to have such features would make ArmA magnitudes better. (even if the terrain was made a true 3D construct  whistle.gif )

Its actually once every 50m. And there are ways of making it less than that but it tends to lag there is an island out that is like that.

Screenshot

Download

Its actually once every 50m. And there are ways of making it less than that but it tends to lag there is an island out that is like that.

Screenshot

Download

Wow, very cool! wow_o.gif Thanks for info, I hope it won't lag so much in ArmA. smile_o.gif

Regarding map detail though, it will be much more effective now to use objects for smaller map details than previously. Shadows are cast upon them which would help create the illusion of continuity. Before, shadows would not be cast on objects making them stand out more.

I still hope the facility for more detailed maps is provided.

i really wonder if Armed Assault take advantage of Geometry Instancing (for e.g. trees and bushes and so on at major distance views)

Isn't OFP allready using some kind of Geometry Instancing? Of course software way. All bushes are just copies of other bushes. And forests, houses. Of course hardware way would be faster. But I dont see exactly how it would be dramatically faster? Or is OFP having a lot of same type objects in memory at same time and only using same models for not wasting HDD space, but not RAM?

Quote[/b] ]Uldics Posted on Nov. 11 2005,13:48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't OFP allready using some kind of Geometry Instancing? Of course software way. All bushes are just copies of other bushes. And forests, houses. Of course hardware way would be faster. But I dont see exactly how it would be dramatically faster? Or is OFP having a lot of same type objects in memory at same time and only using same models for not wasting HDD space, but not RAM?

i would not complaine if AA was 20 gig in size..

Quote[/b] ]Uldics Posted on Nov. 11 2005,13:48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i would not complaine if AA was 20 gig in size..

Neither would I, I'm building my new PC for this game, so I have a fresh new Hard Drive for it! Now, just sit back and wait for release!

ON topic, I do think the islands will be more detailed, considering the whole engine has been redone, so I'm a happy chappy!

Hauk biggrin_o.gif

The trees will be more detailed than in Resistance don't know about the terrain yet.

well if you put your OFP on very high detail, you get a very hilly terrain, it looks much better, but it also is horrible to drive anything on it, except when you are on a road of course wink_o.gif, of course, you need a quite good system to do so to let it run smoothly

They need some vegetation, The ground just looks flat and lifeless without some grass or weeds or whatnot around the place.

They need some vegetation, The ground just looks flat and lifeless without some grass or weeds or whatnot around the place.

Photo

smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif I like those trees a lot with those dark areas.

Yes.. I guess that the improved shadows get's the credits for that. The big difference though will be that all vegetation will wave in the wind, at least I hope they will.

OFP looks much better in screenshots than in real time. With real time lighting effects and other new features in ArmA the game will probably look the best when experienced live.