Sign in to follow this  
l etranger

Islands complexity

Hello, do we have any information about islands to know if they have been improved to fill the blank of 'nothing to hide' (like the empty plain of the originals one) with more bushs, trees, houses, etc..?

There's been some info here and there. If anyone can dig up some of the old info BIS put out about their plans for terrain we might get a little more insight. Supposedly the sizes were to be much larger. As as far as you asking about the spaces in between where it was just flat grass, I believe some modeled grass is going to be in game to help act as sort of a filler.

Guest Ti0n3r
Only thing i know is, that the included island sarah, will be alot smaller than Nogova

Were did you hear that?

Quote[/b] ]The new campaign, on an equally new island, has been created to showcase the improved features of the engine. It's much larger and more detailed than Everon and previous worlds. Codenamed Sara, it's going to feature dense woodlands and as big an urban environment as the game can take.

From the preview

It could very well be bigger than nogova

Seing that Nogova would fall under "previous worlds" category it seems very likely that it is larger. smile_o.gif

Only thing i know is, that the included island sarah, will be alot smaller than Nogova

What gives you that idea? The E3 showcard says there will be a "New map" which we now know to be Sara "covering over 100 sq. km, in extreme detail"

Nogova is about 100 sq. km too so they're of about equal size.

It says "includes all content from original game" or similar, which means Nogava it's self (Revamped too) will be included..

Maybe : Sarah > Shara (the desert) > Desert Island? tounge2.gif

- Ben

Maybe : Sarah > Shara (the desert) > Desert Island? tounge2.gif

- Ben

I doubt it though. Why have a comparitively boring desert island when you can show off everthing on a Nogova type island? .. like those rolling hills. smile_o.gif

I guess their won't be anything new on this island, except new objects, but nothing special....

i heard there wasnt going to be a desert island.. but sarah sounds deserty lol biggrin_o.gif

A normal OFP map is about 12.5 km x 12.5 km big, which means about 150 km2. And i think the island will not be bigger than the usal OFP map. But it will allow much more details. Although i would also prefer bigger maps, cos for modern ground warfrare is it to small.

You guys are being kind of short sighted - you have no idea about any of the island's specifics yet you're already making conclusions about it. How the hell do you know it's a crappy island if you've only seen maybe four screenshots??

How about you stop making up your opinion before you know anything about it?

banghead.gif

Also neither Nogova nor any other of the original islands covered the full 12.5x12.5 kmË›. Nogova is 100kmË› of land surface max. Get your facts straight.

Anyways, what's the point in speculating? We've seen from the screenshots that the islands are more detailed, which does more to improve imersion than adding a few kmË› extra. Remember this is ArmA, not the next generation game!

Also neither Nogova nor any other of the original islands covered the full 12.5x12.5 kmË›. Nogova is 100kmË› of land surface max. Get your facts straight.

Anyways, what's the point in speculating? We've seen from the screenshots that the islands are more detailed, which does more to improve imersion than adding a few kmË› extra. Remember this is ArmA, not the next generation game!

actually, nogova is 132 sqm of land surface.... get your facts straight

i don't care so much if the new island is 100 or 130 skm in size

btw how do you do those raized 2's?? biggrin_o.gif

But Im more intrested in game engine advancements and how missions can be made differently and maybe if addons can be upgraded with new stuff smile_o.gif

The new island sounds and looks very nice and i think we should be happy they took the time to make the expansion pack instead of only working on game 2 smile_o.gif

actually, nogova is 132 sqm of land surface.... get your facts straight

Actually you are wrong about that:

Nogova is just about 90kmË› of land surface including all islands. I just checked this by creating a mosaic of a few georeferenced screenshots from the mission editor map, manually digitizing the water borders (the first water contour line was used, which means this method actually gives a slight overestimate) and using ArcGIS to calculate the surface.

NogovaShape.png

If you want to check yourself, the georeferenced images and the resulting shape file are available here (as ERDAS img and ArcView shape).

Edit: yes, I admit you have to be bored to go to such length. That's what traveling by train does to you. biggrin_o.gif

Anyways, thanks for ignoring my main point:

what's the point in speculating? We've seen from the screenshots that the islands are more detailed, which does more to improve imersion than adding a few kmË› extra. Remember this is ArmA, not the next generation game!

Great job! Anyone think that CS has fans like that? wink_o.gif

They don't even bother calculating the area of the maps because the maps are sooo small. Uhm.. 1 square meter, 2... 3... 4... rofl.gif

Great job! Anyone think that CS has fans like that?  wink_o.gif

They don't even bother calculating the area of the maps because the maps are sooo small. Uhm.. 1 square meter, 2... 3... 4...  rofl.gif

Sorry bout that daddl, i stand corrected. Anyway, I don't care if sarah is larger or smaller than nogova (I think theres plenty of room on nogova for various landscapes), But i do care about more detail, and we have seen from the shots that it has that.

Lets just wait for the game to arrive, hehe smile_o.gif

btw. Does that calculating include height of land? (ie. does it flatten the land first), or is it just an overhead view?