Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Track ir

I don't think it does, I've tried it but it didn't work for me.

If anyone knows a workaround please post it though..

You can use Trackmapper to get very crude TIR support in OFP. Basically what it does is assign 8 areas that you can look at as keypresses. You can assign those 8 areas to the numpad keys to get a perspective change, but it's not smooth. As you know the num pad keys give you a set angle to look at and it's not a smooth transition, just a straight to that angle.

If you really want to get TIR support in OFP this is a way to do it, but it's not really that great.

You can download Trackmapper off the 3rd party utilities section of the TrackIR site:

Link

Has anyone tried coupling TrackIR with a Fresnel Lens?  

If so, what do you think?

I'm just wondering if having always IR beaming at you might be problematic after some time. Since, if there'll still be the chance,  I do have the intentions to grab one, I've in mind to put the TIR on my head and the sticker on the monitor -or nearby! I know it may sound pretty silly to most, but I'm just trying to limit eventual dangers. huh.gif

I have these doubts simply 'cause 1) I'm not an expert, and 2) I just want to play safe, that's it!

The TrackIR operates by tracking reflected or emitted IR light that is imaged by a CMOS sensor. The sensor and emitters are tuned to 880nm, slightly above the visible spectrum, you can see them emit a slight glow when the room lights are off, this is the very upper end of the red spectrum. The sensor and IR LEDs are covered by a very special plastic that we custom designed with Bayer to block all light below 820nm, it passes all light above this point, it is called a band pass filter.

The LEDs emit at 880nm and are standard off the shelf IR LEDs, we run them all the time when the unit is turned on. There are 4 of them and they each have a total radiant output of about 23mw/sr, which is 23miliwats per ster radian. Total output power is NOT 4 X 23 mw/sr as the LEDS do not overlap exactly; they create a coverage pattern with slight overlap at the edges. Also, the LEDs to not emit a uniform brightness, they have an angle to half intensity, so the center of the overlapping LEDs is the SAME brightness as the center of each LEDs output, hope that makes sense.

Your eyes ARE sensitive to IR light, you can’t see it, but your eyes will register the “power†of the light, your pupils will shrink down as if you were looking at light in the visible spectrum. Remember, we are just slightly above red in the visible spectrum. You won’t feel your pupils getting smaller when our device turns on because we are a relatively low level of light for an average room condition. If you turn out all the lights in the room, put the unit about 1 foot away from your face and watch your eyes in a mirror, you will see your pupils contract, they are “seeing†the IR light.

As for the amount of power the LEDs output, it is many of times lower than simply going outside, not to mention on a bright sunny day. As I had seen posted before, we are a small fraction of the IR output from a normal incandescent light bulb. ANSI references spec ANSI Z 136.1 – 2000 for laser power emission, but we are not a laser, so in the back of the spec they reference ANSI/IESNA RP-27.1-96, which is the spec for lamp output, basically what we are and what ANSI says to use. Maximum exposure for our wavelength range, which is from 700nm to 1100nm is 10mw/cm2. To convert our power output, which is about 30mw/sr, we apply sr x 1cm2/distance2. Typical user distance is 18†or about 45cm (on the conservative side, most users are further away), so 30mw/2025 = .015mw/cm2. Needless to say, we are on the safe side!

If you have any further questions or concerns please let us know.

Yes exactly, we've been through this in the past at this forum. I personally was bugging you guys about it and in the end realized and was told it is perfectly safe due to the power recognition. Old timers here will know.

However, I would like to just point out that for many people such as myself, your pricing scheme when new products are introduced is questionable. Despite holding patents and copyrights I think one should be a little more forgiving to their customers... why not introduce a new model at the old price, and shift the entire product line pricing by one level. At this rate a TrackIR 7 might run $400 tounge2.gif

My 2c. whistle.gif

Sometimes it just has to due with the cost of the new hardware that goes into the new units. I.E. - the wider angle lens and prom chips for the TrackIR 4, just cost more than the ones for the TrackIR 3 units. It greatly increases easy of use for the customer, but we have to charge a little more to be able to make that available to you.

Oh yes, is there any chance that your old product lines will drop to 100$ and below one day? I have been wanting this for a long time as well,but the price has always put me off (And I own various extra gadgets.I would compare the product to say the highest prices joystick from Saitek for example). I can understand that with a monopoly on this and some nerd-sim market price isn't an issue,but meh...

Edit: Post started before above answers

At this rate a TrackIR 7 might run $400

lol, my wallets already out for the first TrackIR 7 in .au biggrin_o.gif

Anybody spotted some preview ArmA video lately where this TrackIR thing is actually used (and perhaps comments on its functioning within ArmA)?

Anybody spotted some preview ArmA video lately where this TrackIR thing is actually used (and perhaps comments on its functioning within ArmA)?

I haven't seen anything new, but I'll be covering their usage in ArmA with my preview/review (remains to be seen what form it will take) that will be coming out prior to the game's release. I'll probably do something similar to my Aces High 2 video, with a combined in-game and real-world perspective on it.

I haven't seen anything new, but I'll be covering their usage in ArmA with my preview/review (remains to be seen what form it will take) that will be coming out prior to the game's release. I'll probably do something similar to my Aces High 2 video, with a combined in-game and real-world perspective on it.

Yeah, looking forward to that. Your other video was very informative, much appreciated!

Looking around is very important, so the easier it is (like i hope with TIR) the better:)

i think this could be really cool especailly for those who like to fly around :P biggrin_o.gif

i think this could be really cool especailly for those who like to fly around :P  biggrin_o.gif

It is very cool but I must admit it took longer to get used to than in pure flight-sims. I'm allmost willing to bet that everyone wants one as soon as ArmA is out. It really gives you the edge you need when you master it.

At first I had difficulties coordinating my head and mouse-movement as a soldier (moving my mouse and my head left simultaneously can be disorienting at times). Give it a day and its as natural as any flight-sim.

i think this could be really cool especailly for those who like to fly around :P :D

It is very cool but I must admit it took longer to get used to than in pure flight-sims. I'm allmost willing to bet that everyone wants one as soon as ArmA is out. It really gives you the edge you need when you master it.

At first I had difficulties coordinating my head and mouse-movement as a soldier (moving my mouse and my head left simultaneously can be disorienting at times). Give it a day and its as natural as any flight-sim.

Which of course is munition for my 'console controller' argument. Yeah, 360 junkie i am:)

Combination of controller and TIR seems perfect to me.

I guess the pc interface won't be optimized for using a controller but the ofp:e interface was more than up to it and the game played fluid.

(I will certainly try my cable usb 360 controller in combi with ArmA)

Who knows we'll see some tracking stuff on 360.

'Our hope is to see the face tracker used in a premier title to add an extra “control†in a first person shooter, where leaning your head to one side would be a “peek around a corner†or other subtle advantage to the player.'

... is about the xbox 360 Live vision Camera ... check link

Anyway, i lost hope for a early 360 version of ArmA, but it seems that there are at least 2 posibilities to have this tracking stuff on 360. Either by TrackIR for 360 or above LVC.

Sorry, to be so OT but i couldn't resist to present another 'fact' that consoles could well be on par with PC.

I will make a review of ArmA and trackir as soon as I get the hands on the game!

I must say, though - that playing racing/flying games using trackir kinda adds another dimension, and it's great!

I dont plan on getting one, due to price that it is rofl.gif

Anyway i dont think i could get use to moving my head like that all the time, im probely faster with the mouse and keyboard rofl.gif

I dont plan on getting one, due to price that it is :rofl:

Anyway i dont think i could get use to moving my head like that all the time, im probely faster with the mouse and keyboard :rofl:

The idea behind headtracking is NOT to be faster ... (for this we have arcade machines and stuff) ... but to add an extra layer of immersion.

If a helo comes overhead you can watch it by simply looking with your head (next step eyes(?):) ... the idea of 'following' the helo with ALT and mouse is just very awkward (and will be sure a big laugh in say 10 years when we look back on gaming)

Headtracking all the way (it's just the price which is steep, therefor i'm curious to see the results of the 360 LVC)

I wonder if TrackIr head positions will be transmitted when in multiplayer? I'd imagine that it would be eliminated in netcode optimization, but it would be interesting as an option for a low-latency, high-bandwidth LAN mode. Knowing where your squadleader is looking may be a useful indicator. thoughts?

ArmAmods.net has a deal on Track-IR at the moment.

Rumor has it that so do I. [hint: sig]

inlove.gif

Quote[/b] ]Knowing where your squadleader is looking may be a useful indicator. thoughts?

You can see head movement in OFP, why not expect it to be in ArmA as well?

Quote[/b] ]Knowing where your squadleader is looking may be a useful indicator. thoughts?

You can see head movement in OFP, why not expect it to be in ArmA as well?

Are you sure? I've never tried to use the "*" to move the head position while in multiplayer and observe on a different player's machine. I thought it was purely local in OFP. Perhaps someone could do a quick test of this?

I'm pretty sure you can see it, at least thats what I remember when messing around playing lan games.