Sign in to follow this  
Drongo69

Dynamic Campaigns

what a suiting birthday present for me biggrin_o.gif

thanks friend tounge_o.gif

(but seriously its my birthday on sunday [yup...on mothers day crazy_o.gif weird right?], back to the point....i have yet to see any of yall return the rsvp's i sent to every single ofp forums member to go to putt-putt with me. please send these right away mad_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

I like the Dynamic Afghanistan alot, one of the best things to happen in OFP in fact.

But. It would be great to see this extended with Combined Arms operations (except CAS that is). And perhaps full platoon movement options. I don't mean that you need to control the platoon but that they join you in whatever mission you get. Plus they get replenished as well.

BM

My next project is a platoon level conventional dynamic campaign. I actually have a test version that generates a battle between two leg platoons at a random location with random air and armour, but the campaign system is only on paper at this point.

With all the other people working on dynamic campaigns I am tempted to release Coin Coop "as is" and focus on this instead.

Btw, in you research for the dynamic campaign. Have you come up with a good script to distribute some random street blocks and other objects? I mean so it looks somewhat planned and not completelly random.

Thinking of stuff like sandbags, wires etc.

Btw, i am testing with the para command using a Hercules instead and it works nicelly. Makes more sense for the para mission smile_o.gif.

marcus

One suggestion, when u paradrop all the squad jump at the same time, and sometimes your guys got hurt on jumping, on ofpec i saw some time ago one script that make the soldiers paradrop one in one, its more realistic and better for your photos smile_o.gif

There's a slight delay. I think it's more of an issue from a chopper than herc though (since it's standing still while dropping).

marcus

Just a little random rambling from me...

It would kick ass if some one would make a turn of the century French Foreign Legion Addon. That would be great for a coin campaign.

Include some Saracen bandits with Mausers and scimitars as the opfor. Also add some rideable camel and horse units for them, perhaps they would be of the motorcycle class but with a script that animates the legs? Oh yeah and some pack mules for the Legion (already made I think?)and an early touring coach type automobile for the officers to ride in. Finally a Saharan desert map with one or two oasis complete with an old Berber fort to serve as the Legions base of operations.

Sorry, a little crazy of an idea I know. Just sprang to mind when I thought of scenarios for Coin.

PS... Maybe add in a scout biplane for the Legion.

Some guys on the OFP-FR.net forums are working on an Algeria mod. You can find the topics here:

Topic 1

Topic 2

Topics are in French though but it looks very promising smile_o.gif

Anyone thought of mechanized movement as an alternative to airborne?

I made two additions. One called MOUNT/DISMOUNt. To order units to go into vehicles. In my example i use two vehicles where half of the group uses vehicle 1 and the other vehicle 2.

Instead of dropzone i have "MoveIntoFUP" (onmapclick). With platoon movements i guess i have to find a good distribution algorithm for it. One last platoon should allways be held in reserve. Callable with eg. "CALL RESERVE".

marcus

marcusjm -

your question regarding the roadblocks, i would place one gamelogic for the direction North/East/West/South, making them 4 roadblocks-gamelogics

now you can write scripts placing the roadblockelements in relation to the gamelogic (the compass directions are necessary to give you a selection of directions, else it would look strange if the roadblock stands parallel to the road)

now place reference points on the map, where you want the roadblocks, pick roads that lead straight North/East/West/South and name them accordingly e.g. RS1,RS2....RN1,RN2.....

in your mission script let the gamelocigs be placed at the needed road and let the spawning begin wink_o.gif

Heres an idea for you (im not a coder, only an idea man) smile_o.gif

How about a carrier path?

You start of as a recruit and have to get through training (shooting, running etc) to gather 'points'. When you get enough 'points' you pass training and get real missions.

As a pro soldier, at private level, you gain more 'points' and go up in rank, as far as lieutenant. From here you can either;

a) move up to command level (where the mission takes a kind of CTI feel, now you are alerted of 'Flashpoints' around the island and have to decide witch task to complete first)

b) move sideways into Special Ops and undertake the assassination missions, sabotage, etc

Killing too many civilians or aborting missions will loose you 'points' and get you demoted.

What do you think? Could it be done? If some one could help a complete beginner, i'd try and do it my self (oh hell, wish i hadn't said that...)

biggrin_o.gif i would say go for it, the coding comes with the mission, once you start you will realize its not as hard as it sounds, take a look at scripts, try to learn to read them

your idea is very good, i like it, you should try to exploit it wink_o.gif

The potential of this dynamic campaigns takes ofp into a new level, I think as soon as MP/coop code has finished it will become an ofp classic, great work  !!

tacrod has the hardest part to do with the multiplayer code, coding for single player is much simpler than that wink_o.gif

maybe he should release it as open source, that some more start working on it, since it is alot of work for one person

or some talented multiplayer scripters could split the task up smile_o.gif

and thank you for the compliment in the name of the Dynamic Mission Alliance smile_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif  i would say go for it, the coding comes with the mission, once you start you will realize its not as hard as it sounds, take a look at scripts, try to learn to read them

your idea is very good, i like it, you should try to exploit it  wink_o.gif

At the moment, i don't know where to start.  As you said, i'll open the pbo and look at how it all works.

In order to do my 'Dynamic Army Mod (DAM)' I'll need to know how to swap the players character model mid mission.  Can this be done (I'm sure it can) if so how is it done?

(Sorry admin guys, it's only slightly off topic)

i have not tried it yet, but basicly it should be possible, by the command deletevehicle, to erase the player model and then respawn him as another model by using the command createunit

as i said, i havent tried it yet, but it might only be possible for ai soldiers

Sorry to be off topic a bit but didn't Dimitri Lukin change models during a cutscene in Red Hammer?

If you could find out how that worked you could maybe adapt it.

Just an idea.

PS Love these dynamic missions.

I attempted to plug in the CSLA L410 aircraft as my paradrop transport last night. It worked fine until it actually made it in the air, when the plane circled the airfield once and then took off on a heading of 270 and didn't stop for 10 minutes. Only once in the ten various attempts I made did the paradrop actually work, and the only problems were that the plane was flying extremely slow (nose was at a near 30-degree incline just to maintain about 80m of altitude) even when the script called for it to move at "full" speed with a 300m flyinheight. Also, the plane crashed shortly after the paradrop, and I can't figure out why.

Has anyone else experimented with fixed-wing aircraft? Do you have the same problems?

i wanted to have airstrike support with the next update of Dynamic Afghanistan, but i had a hard time to implement it good enough, now i use a modified Airstrike script by Viriato (can be found at OFPEC) it works good to my satisfaction smile_o.gif

might want to take a look at it, and convert it to your needs, the downside would be a teleport close to the dropzone (no starting with fixed wing, which would be nice to have sad_o.gif )

Hellfish, what i did was basically a variant of the existing script. I simply blacked out and put everyone in the Hercules(the only plane i have), the plane in air, flying at a set velocity. Maybe less immersive than the actual take-off but i thought it sort of fit well with the "quick to action" feeling that the existing scripts had (now thinking of the Afghan scenario). The only drawback was that it looked a bit ridicilous with 12 guys in a Hercules smile_o.gif. Maybe if i figure out a good platoon command thing (or Honcho and his guys does it of course).

Honcho,

Thanx for the tips. Got a good one from the scripting forum too. These two combined will do nicelly, didn't want anything too fancy(like the powerful mapfact ones).

I also want to thank these teams for bringing OFP to a new level. These missions exceed most addons in usefulness imho.

marcus

@Hellfish

I had to do the same thing as marcus for my Stuka CAS and my Junkers transport.

Before they would drive off at an angle of about 260 no matter where i placed them, they totally ignored the runway and just made a beeline for that bearing.

Starting them in the air uisng setvelocity and flyinheight seems to have fixed the problem.

It's not so bad when you think of it. Saves some time and makes the mission flow faster. If not else to avoid the (sometimes) endless maneuvers for AI to get on the right track.

BM

Just a quick heads up to say that I'm still working on Coin Coop. I am trying to get a beta version into a state fit to release. I would like some input from people on a few things. What are your ideas/opinions on:

- Win/lose conditions

- Medevac

- Civilians

- Air/arty support

- Mission types

- Respawn

- Weapons/islands/units used

- ??

I'm not saying I'll necessarily implement your ideas, I'm just looking for inspiration.

Cheers smile_o.gif

this sounds like a very cool idea for a mission, but a custom island would need to be created for it. How about a large, flat land with a round lake in the middle...this could take up a good 3/4 of the map. On the east and west sides of the lake are airfields, with an assortment of carriers in the middle of the lake.