Sign in to follow this  
Drongo69

Dynamic Campaigns

A bit of status report,

Once my work on the template will be finished, the release of this DMA pack will contain the template in several versions

Player West : Enemy Resistance

Player West : Enemy East

Player East : Enemy Resistance

Player East : Enemy West

Player Resistance : Enemy East

Player Resistance : Enemy West

This way , it will be easy to anyone to launch the mission editor, replace the east/west/resistance units by the ones he wants, then replacing with the specific units he wants the unit names in the spawn scripts should be no problem once you know the units names of your favorite addons.

The templates are taking place on Malden, but moving the template mission you want to another island will be easy to do.

I am planning to add some step by step documentation about an example conversion to help the user.

But the release is not really soonâ„¢ as despite lot have been already implemented, lot is remaining to do.

great stuff Sanctuary! Love it when its easy and fast to start editing with smile_o.gif

@Tacrod: I´m waiting for that COOP-version smile_o.gif

Will it be compatible with snYpirs SP/MP Support Pack?

Progress on the Coop version is delayed because I lack MP scripters/testers. I have had a few people kind enough to test, but I approached them, and I don't want to pressure people who didn't volunteer.

So, once again, I am asking for people who can test the mission.

A few times I have thought about scrapping the coop idea and just focusing on SP. I don't have a LAN at home, I'm not in a clan, so testing by myself is impossible. As for Snypir's pack, I am thinking of using it for artillery and flares only, as editing the scripts to include custom helos etc is a little complex.

Testers/scripters who can help, please PM me. At this point I don't need casual testing, I need people who can work closely with me (and put up with me badgering them with questions a lot).

Further progress depends on the response I get. If I don't get any response in the next week or so I'll probably just focus on the SP stuff I'm working on.

Tacrod,

Remember that CoIN Tonal mission I had you test a few weeks back? I tried that on multiplayer a few weeks back and found the same issues you found in your CoIN Coop test recently.

Same issues:

If one player approaches CO for mission, other player(s) don't see mission marker movement and don't see brief.

Enemy units move towards the player who initiated mission with CO in Helo Down and similar missions.

But I also had issues with Snyper's Support Pack SP/MP. As I recall, it would slow down the FPS signifigantly, and then cause a CTD for one of the players. I'll test this, but is this a CoIN error or Snyper SP error?

I don't have a LAN at home, I'm not in a clan, so testing by myself is impossible.

I was in the same boat a while back when scripting the GroupLink II script but found out that I could run the dedicated server on the same machine I ran the OFP client and just connect to my own IP. I was surprised how well it worked and was able to write and debug all my MP scripts this way...

So if you have an machine that is say at least a 1.5+ GHz with 512+ MB RAM (the bigger the better!) I think it will help you as much as it did help me. Testing MP scripts without having access to a dedicated server is a real nightmare but the above "trick" works great IMO.

Good luck!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Nice trick, but it won't let you test the events that cause different game behavior for different players. Like the bugs described by TA-50. sad_o.gif

wow_o.gif

@Keycat: You, sir, are a genius! Thank you SO much. I've just tried this and it worked (after a bit of messing around). Thank you! I still need testers, but at least now I can do a lot of testing myself.

Further delays in the coop version will mostly be the result of my own laziness/incompetence biggrin_o.gif

@TA-50: The old Coin code had a miserable attempt at MP compatibility. I think I've solved the problems of mission allocation etc, and the AI is different now, it doesn't use getpos to chase players, so that isn't an issue. About Snypir's pack, I've never tried it in MP. Given a choice about whether it's his pack or my mission that caused the CTD, I'd bet it was my mission.

PM me if you have newer version of CoIN Coop then the one I had you test.

By the way, did you ever fix the bug with you radio/map commands? I really dislike the RTB, Medevac, and Moveout commands. Once you select a command from the radio menu on the map screen and click on the map, they work as designed. But every subsequent click on the map results in that action occuring again. I saw this a few times with Moveout, put its particularly notorious with Medevac.

I'm not sure if focused on this or not in your new versions. I just highlight it because I issue many of my commands from the map screen. Because of this, I removed RTB and Moveout from that same CoIN Tonal mission. But its impracticable to remove Medevac. The mission would be unbeatable with the current scoring method if dead West soldiers remained on the battlefeild.

~TA-50

A general question for everyone regarding insertions. How would you prefer to get to missions in MP? Here are my ideas:

a) Moveout: click on the map and teleport. Currently functional in an MP environment. Simple and avoids long waits, but lacks atmosphere.

b) Empty helos/vehicles so the players can fly/drive themselves (easy, but unrealistic to have grunts flying helos then dismounting to fight)

c) Players fly the insertion helo, then after landing an AI pilot takes control and RTBs.

d) Require a human player to be a helo pilot and handle all insertions/extractions/CAS

e) Trust the AI to insert you.

I personally like d).

@TA-50: I think that bug is caused by my failure to close the onsinglemapclick command in my scripts (thanks to Sanctuary for the solution to this problem). BTW, are you still working on your version?

In this order:

e (maybe let the snyPirs support take care of that?)

d

b (then its possible to assign a pilot in the group)

c

NOT a

Option e, where the AI inserts you, is ideal. Snypers support pack could do this, but i had a hard time getting his one click insertion to loop itself. The extraction script is a breeze though.

Currently I use option B. I have three HMMWVs with either M2s or M240Bs in the turrets, and I have two UH-60s (one is extra in case the other goes down, Snyper's extraction script can be used in emergencies).

I prefer these two becaues at its heart many dynamic missions turn out to focus on light infantry actions. My friends who play prefer to command or join squads and directly control their vehicles than simply be the person ferrying troops around the battlefeild.

Besides, Snyper's Support Pack provides enough on call CAS. I really like the Quick Reaction Force missions, where the AI inserts other infantry squads by UH-60s.

@tacrod: I'm not working on my mission as much as I'd like to. I can't seriously devote much time and effort to it until late May. I'd like to implement Sancutary's map click solution though. Could you post the code here? I have no problem if you, honchoblack, or Sanctuary (or whomever) continue my work, however.

~TA-50

d & e, that way squads with air sections can use the mission without stopping eg. a couple of mates having a go.

TA-50 -

thank you for the offer, i can speak only for myself, but i guess the situation with either

Sanctuary or TacRod is no different, i got more work and ideas, than i can handle tounge_o.gif

i think its best if you let your work rest, pick it up, once you have enough time on your hands

(but dont forget how addictive it can be, to work a mission, instead of handling RL issues tounge_o.gif )

meanwhile you can use the pause, to gather fresh ideas, to further enhance the mission, and

then come back and finish it, it will still be fun to do, once time permits wink_o.gif

just my thoughts smile_o.gif

D/E - for helis.

B is quite acceptable for ground vehicles such as HMMWV or BRDM.

@tacrod: I'm not working on my mission as much as I'd like to. I can't seriously devote much time and effort to it until late May. I'd like to implement Sancutary's map click solution though. Could you post the code here? I have no problem if you, honchoblack, or Sanctuary (or whomever) continue my work, however.

~TA-50

The solution is simple in fact.

When you have used a onmapsingleclick in a script to "capture" the coordinates of the player click location on the map , you must add something to de-activate the onmapsingleclick in the script that is running once the coordinates have been captured .

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">onMapSingleClick {}

Without de-activating the onmpasingleclick code by using that line, the "capture" never ends and can lead into lot of script problem , executing more than one time in a row etc...

Thanks.  That changes everything.  I always choke when things are too simple.

Here is an update on the Coop version. This version is entirely SEB NP2. Players are AirCav, the enemy are VC. Alternate islands/weapon packs/OPFOR packs etc will probably be the last thing done.

Currently working in MP:

- Mission allocation/resolution (S&D, Patrol, Defend, Raid)

- Bad guys (AI, random weapons, etc)

- Self-contained artillery, flares and CAS (not using Snypir's pack)

- Campaign factors (morale etc.)

- Rearm scripts

- AI Helo insertion

Currently working on:

- Extraction

To do:

- Medevac

- Respawn

- More missions (S&R, Convoy, ??)

- General polishing/tweaking (seamless spawns, etc)

- Civilians

The current version is basically playable in MP, but is very rough. I have made a lot of progress since Keycat told me the dedicated server trick.

Sounds cool Tacrod! Looking forward to test the co-op version when you are done...

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

For the update on my template, as i understand i mostly said nothing about the actual state of the addon free work, the latest alpha version is from yesterday and here is the current changelog since the first CoIn from TacRod

Not really an interesting reading for non-mission makers but you can already spot in the whole thing some features in progress.

It will continue to change with all the DMA background talks, suggestions and ideas, but the end should be near.

At least it should be released finished before OFP2 or Duke Nukem Forever.

Bu don't worry about the delay that is going on with all what is implemented, then changed, then reworked : you will certainly see some of the features currently in development in this template added progressively in Honchoblack and TacRod works in a format that will suit better their version.

And vice-versa.

Quote[/b] ]---Alpha versions---

***Version 0.858

-Temporary renamed the init.sqs to trickinit.txt and use a init.sqs where the geometry and sound preload has been removed, used to speed up the testing sessions

-Added Radio action Smoke Cover that provide covering smoke falling from the sky

-Added Radio action Ground Support that provide the help of vehicles

-Added Radio action Missile Strike that allow a precision missile to be shot

-Added Radio action Air Support that allow an attack chopper support

-Now all the radio actions are bonus earned with to your Value level , value level are got by fighting enemies in the Free Mission (not in the normal Missions)

***Version 0.857

-Corrected the weapon name for the selectweapon command in the rearm script for the M16M203 the correct name was M16Muzzle and not M16GrenadeLauncher despite the weapon name is M16GrenadeLauncher for the addweapon part

-Added a minimum distance between the base and the insertion point, the insertion point must be a + 500 meters from the base

-Reworked the insertion and extraction landing, the default AI chopper sometime took very too much time before deciding the chopper is in a good enough position to land, especially when landing in hills, mountain or area with objects where it can take several minutes between the chopper is hoovering then decide to land. Now the landing is quick and have precision.

-Changed the rotor secret event activation, now it will have a chance to activate if the player has selected an insertion in the danger zone. It will not happen everytime too.

-Replaced the dispersion script by a similar more optimised one by GeneralCoder

-Added the FREE MISSION concept in the base, has its own paradrop insertion, corrected the other mission and insertion to be disabled when the FREE MISSION is activated

-Added FREE MISSION enemy spawns for tests, allow normal extraction anytime player want

***Version 0.856

-Added a small camera trick (camera moving for 360° during black screen at startup) that should preload better the game environment

-Play a game sound and a radio order during that camera trick, to preload those 2 kinds of OFP sounds (environment and radio orders) , it will cause less stuttering (on some soundcard, when you give the first order after starting OFP, there is a slight freeze for sound caching, this trick prevent it to happen , as it happens during the startup black screen)

-Added a jump code from Honchoblack in the extraction/insertion/secretrotor script to make the ejection a lot smoother.

-Added a Mercenary hunt mission where the player must destroy 2 to 4 squads of spetznaz very well trained (modified the behaviour of the mercenaries according to this), it has a danger zone for the chopper insertion.

-Fixed a problem that can occur for mission auto-inserting the player not waiting for auto insertion, thanks to TacRod. Now it is not possible to ask insertion if you have no mission or if the mission type is an auto-insertion one.

-Fixed a "carefull, civilian" message playing when extracting even if there is no civilian

***Version 0.855

-Corrected , again, the Action radio system to prevent 'lots of' duplicate entries

-Added an Artillery support (using official and good BIS artillery script from Under the Hill mission) will be limited later but for now only allowed out of the base

***Version 0.854

-Added a city detection script that will spawn civilian if the player is near a city game logic after insertion, it stop detecting as soon as extraction is calling

-Changed a bit the Action Radio so it is not allowed inside the Base (to not make the Action menu to heavy), the Request Status action radio is not available in base

-Added an Airstrike script by Skumball and Viratio, will be limited later but for now only allowed out of the base

-Added a no-addon rope support "special forces" team that will use the rappel script from XCess, will be limited later but for now only allowed out of the base, the special force team will follow the player everywhere and will patrol the area around him

***Version 0.853

-Corrected the extraction request in the radio command menu (it was not disappearing once requested)

-Corrected a problem making the patrol mission never ending or spawning enemy

-Added the Rearm script (it occurs during the extraction flight too)

-Added the ammo crate with weapons

-Added the Attack mission (it has a danger zone for chopper insertion) and built a simple base with a tent and 4 M2 machineguns for the enemy in that mission (this simple base appear in the mission objective)

***Version 0.852

-Added in the Init.sqs a control to let the spawn terror scripts to know if they will use the dispersion script or not (in the case the user use the HD JAM2 weapons)

-added removemagazine grenade when no JAM HD is used this way it does not cause problem to the disperse script

-tweaked the secretterror script to be more efficient

-added the chopper down mission

-added the Helo Down mission with an automatised insertion

-modified the radio concept, now it is a radio command menu added to the Action menu, to make an insertion you have to approach the pilot in the base, to make an extraction you have to be allowed by a message first after completing a mission

***Version 0.851

-Changed the Defend concept , it was too similar to Ambush previously. Now it is "fort alamo" with tons of enemy coming and coming and...

***Version 0.85

-Major rework of folders structures and of all the scripts, not finished as all has not been re-implemented yet

-Changed the raid concept from "kill the leader" to "capture the leader"

-Secret event rotor happen now if the chopper fly over the danger zone of Patrol and Raid mission, while the convoy secret event is related to possibility of overriding main mission

***Version 0.8

Added random event possibility overriding the main mission when using the insertion chopper

-convoy help

-insertion helicopter hit by AA missile

Tweaked a bit the dispersion script

Optimised some eventhandlers

***Version 0.7

-RTB teleportation replaced by an Extraction chopper

-ending of Search and Destroy mission now stop having an automated return to base

-Corrected a problem with spanwed pilots-chopper being considered west

-corrected again a problem with rearm script that gave the player the nvg model when using binoculars

-Replaced downed UH60 by Mi17

-Changed the activation of some triggers from WEST to EAST , as they were meant for West player

-Got rid of the moveout and rtb scripts and references, as they are replaced.

Insertion radio order possible only in starting base area

-Corrected onmapsingleclick problem , to prevent the onmapsingleclick capture to stay active for the whole game duration even when unwanted (very very annoying problem), by adding onmapsingleclick {} in the c_trans.sqs and c_medevac.sqs

***Version 0.6

-Added a dispersion script (from Ace Productions) to the terrorists spawns to reflect that the resistance are not trained soldiers (a good alternative to JAM HD that does not require an addon)

-corrected a bit the transport scripts

-corrected a bit the rearm script

***Version 0.5

-Changed the West units by their East counterpart to simulate the invasion of Malden from CWC

-Ammo-Weapon crate a bit more complete

-Optimisation of the transport and rearm script

***Version 0.4

-MoveOut teleportation replaced by Insertion by chopper

-Optimisations of scripts

***Version 0.3

-More optimisations of mission locations

-Move out and Return to Base Radio orders skip more hours (server\rtb.sqs server\moveout.sqs)

-Rearm action optimised to prevent the "out of ammo" return of the AI (server\rearm.sqs)

***Version 0.2

-Organisation of the missions area to fit Malden locations

***Version 0.1

-Quick and dirty port from Nogova to Malden to optimise overall performance

Quote[/b] ]-Added Radio action Missile Strike that allow a precision missile to be shot

sweet

Quote[/b] ]-Added a city detection script that will spawn civilian if the player is near a city game logic after insertion, it stop detecting as soon as extraction is calling

sweet

Quote[/b] ]-Reworked the insertion and extraction landing, the default AI chopper sometime took very too much time before deciding the chopper is in a good enough position to land, especially when landing in hills, mountain or area with objects where it can take several minutes between the chopper is hoovering then decide to land. Now the landing is quick and have precision.

sweet

Quote[/b] ]-Changed the rotor secret event activation, now it will have a chance to activate if the player has selected an insertion in the danger zone. It will not happen everytime too.

whats this?

The name is already telling too much about it.

I should have deleted this part from the changelog smile_o.gif

This is absolutely out standing work, i for one are most appreciative for the continued hardwork and dedication shown to continue these brilliant "Campaigns", it is something OFP has been craving for a long time, and you've pulled it off brilliantly, also Sanctuary and the rest of the team so thanks goes to you for creating/working on a addon free template so many others can create their own versions. overall outstanding work to the whole team, please keep it up!.