Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Island or Continent?

What do you guys think I should do for my next island?

Island?

Peninsula?

Continent?

or

Other? Please Explain

Definition of Peninsula Brought to you by: Dictionary.com

I would like to see a big continent! Maybe have a river running through it breaking it into 2 areas? Hard to explain what I mean...but basically, have 1 continent in like the north west and have a HUGE river running through it breaking it away from the rest of the land. Then some mission makers could make a campaign on it, and the river could be a strong point w/ some huge battles along it smile_o.gif

I personally would really like to see a continent with two versions. One that's quite detailed (as far as possible for a continent) and another one where most of the small plants and unnecessary gimmicks are removed, which you could use for air missions. Such an island could perfectly be used in aircraft campaigns where you sometimes also have to be a soldier (-> detailed version)

just my 2 cents

i like maps that have lots of rivers too, you cold have one that mbreaks up into lots of tributaries. And a big valley is would be cool.

I would liek ot see a map of israel.

I have the bases of them but I am nto good at populating them.

but also I would liek to see more maps based on real places that actual look liek the real place.

how about joining a mod thats already underway and needs an island maker?

Quote[/b] ]how about joining a mod thats already underway and needs an island maker?

Because I'm presently leader of the mod im in as well as island maker which has been going on for close to a year now. Just hasn't turned out much yet because of lack of members which I just got a few more of today.

Was actually kind of thinking about asking Falklands if I could join a while ago though because it is my favorite mod.

I think every idea has been covered. I can't even think of what would be good. I say you help out usmcsniper on his urban map. That's the only and most innovative island thats not out yet that i can say im really going to download and give a try.

lol!..Bowery, there are 166 countries in the united nations and there's only a handful of islands in ofp where an island is only limited to the conceptualization of the maker's mind, still room for more. No harm in creating your own creative concepts if u dont wish to combine with other mods, there is room in ofp for more, for each new island only leads to more discoveries and further developement of islands. No 2 islands are ever the same.:;):

Jake, create anything u want..but plz plz plz...anything but a laggy island............. crazy_o.gif I am sure many dont want a picture postcard island and prefer to play in it than for show. Some lagging is understandable, but if it stops every 5mins..sigh....

I thought of a snowmap also but refused to speak because i thought there were enough already. The thing is though, no two islands are the same. While we're talking about it, why not do a real country?

I voted for a peninsula, but I'd like to see one with a massive city; knowing your previous work it would be the best idea to keep using OFP's original stuff to keep lag low, but it really should be something massive, larger perhaps in size than even the city of Mogadishu of BHD:Leave no one behind, or any Tonal city, for comparison... a massive city with lots of urban blocks but still stylishly combined would be AWESOME for urban specops missions!!

All would be good biggrin_o.gif ..... but I voted other cuz I'd like to see something like Avignon Island except with a bunch of rivers of varing sizes running through it (hence may bridges).

Why ?

- cuz rivers, creeks and bridges force different tactics when crossing the island, not just a simple "point the nose and drive @ 100km/h"

- Rivers allow interesting use of boats, AI or players.

How many? Maybe about 4-6 crossing/entering an island the size of Avignon. At least 10-16 bridges to cross those. The rivers dont have to be huge, most locations they are just enough to stop a soldier from walking across. Sure .... tide movement and heights can be a bit annoying, but good mission makers will work out the date/time to get the water depth they want.

Also, as you may have seen me mention before ... plz add some little remote islands (even if they are 20m x 20m), because they are important to mission making (isolation/hiding of units, respawn points, prisons, equipment holders etc etc).

Keep up the great work biggrin_o.gif

Alright I was looking for 30 votes and I got them. Looks like its going to be a continent.

Present Plan: Southern edge of map will be ocean with a river running up it through the mountains and into the plains. There will be two ports and two - four bridges going across the river.

There will be a large airport in the North-East and town names will now be Czechoslovakian (sp?).

I am also looking at making some large towns but will need new buildings and other objects, so if anyone would like to join the mod to make them email me or pm me or msn. Jakerod80@hotmail.com

I also have a nice surprise for you guys coming soon.

Do two countries seperated by a river. That would kick major butt. Never done before idea as well. Most people make one island and we assume its one strong nation, but what if an island were many nations, or just two? Maybe they have their own power stations, economies, stuff like that. Maybe they both make money and operate in different ways and it leads to war. I say you make two really close countries though. If there were snow on the ground as well that'd be very nice. It could be somewhere in europe but a fictional country, hell even a real one if you like.

How would you end a continent?

In BIS's islands the water ends the map, it just goes n forever...which I prefer to other games that you just can't go any further because on an invisible wall.

But would you just make the grass go on forever or what? Quite a tricky situation lol

Quote[/b] ]

How would you end a continent?

In BIS's islands the water ends the map, it just goes n forever...which I prefer to other games that you just can't go any further because on an invisible wall.

But would you just make the grass go on forever or what? Quite a tricky situation lol

Basically you just make a square piece of land that reaches all the borders of the map. Mine touches 3 allowing one ocean on the southern end. There is one river going up the middle with two smaller ones that don't really lead anywhere branching off from it. There are also lakes in the west. Mountains along part of the southern coast. Names will be based on The Czech Republic as well as buildings if we ever make any new ones.

by default it goes to water....dont think you can change that.....look at Cat Shits afganistan, its also a "Continent", he surrounded the edges with mountains, but behind those mountains is a massive drop into the sea  tounge_o.gif

Edit: I suppose you could make some sort of object and use it as a barrier, but it;d be alot of work to get it effective.....