Sign in to follow this  
Monkey Lib Front

Doom 3 has gone GOLD!!!!!!!!!!

Just compare the two.

Doom 3: Neat shadows, maybe some ragdoll physics, no vehicles (that I've heard of), a few flashy effects and the regular arsenal.

HL2: Good all-around graphics, excellent physics for every object and enemy in the game, smart AI, a very good vehicle engine...  I'm not sure about the level sizes but according to the screenshots I've seen so far doom 3 is mostly corridor shooting while HL2 is more or less in the open.

Half life 2 probably has a bigger fan-based community, and the developers are taking advantage of that by releasing modding tools at the same time if not before the game comes out, as for doom 3.. well...

I can bet that many more future games will be using a source-based engine rather then doom 3's engine

Oh yeah Korax, D3 doesn't have "good all-around graphics", and it "maybe has some ragdoll"? icon4.gif Rubbish.

But I do agree that the Source engine seems more versatile and advanced.

I have a totaly different view on DOOM3.

Just found out it will have a SDK after the official release.

I would like to use the engine to create a CBQ environment and all the stuff with it. A mod of a game.

So, Doom3 can be quite usefull after all.

Ok. Observing the rules of the forum I won't talk about my experience with the unmentionable software. However I in reference to this comment which has both relevance to my experience however MOSTLY with my consumate experience with ID software games.

Quote[/b] ]-edit- PS i don't think you get the DOOM series do you?

I understand Doom just fine. It's not hard to understand that it was a run and gun shoot em up type game. However what I am saying and read this carefully, since I basically implied it when I discussed "certain experiences with a certain unreleased game".  

I think the more realistic a game looks, the more realistic the gameplay should be. This essentially saying that the history of the Doom series means precisely bollocks. Regardless of what the game is supposed to be. It looks absolutely stupid to see this immersive and supposedly suspenseful environment marred so horribly by arcade-like combat and movement. I'm not saying a guy needs to bleed to death, but making him get tossed around the room by a demon and force him to scramble to his feet or suffer more believeable effects from damage would make the game a much more rich and immersive experience.

Nothing kills ambience like knowing a zombie is walking around the corner towards you and checking your health and armor to see how many metric tons of lead you can take before you die so you can step out in front of him and have a little face to face exchange of entirely far too many bullets... oops I've said too much. tounge_o.gif

Think about it in the context of the E3 video which I think everyone has seen... and I don't think is illegal... to my knowledge. When it shows the main character walk into that one room and the zombie with the chaingun shoots at him and the doom marine dodges behind a wall... ask yourself why he would dodge like that if he can take a million bullets without armor anyhow? It's flawed logic... it's just plain dumb. Don't try to wow me with contrived cinematics when they completely belie the mechanics of the game. The doom marine should have been scripted to stand there taking a few jerky repetitive animations and fired back at him until one of them died. That's more like an ID software game if I ever saw one.

It ruins the experience unless of course you're easily amused by pretty pictures or... you're 12. It eliminates the necessity to think at all let alone strategically.

I know ID software has basically implemented nothing but the most arcadish "deathmatch friendly" movement and damage to their games, however once more. It looks really really absurd to see it the more photorealistic characters in games become. However sadly. I think I know ID software too well, and I surmise that the released game will have the same general gameplay as quake 2, quake, and the doom games. Which is just... disappointing.

Just imagine in a few years time, we'll be watching gaming avatars that look nearly human circle strafing at 60 miles an hour and shrugging off rockets and grenades with a simple grunt and a very contrived "leaning back" animation.

It's time for gameplay to catch up with technology methinks.

... lest the game looks really really stupid.

I think my first choice will be HL2. DOOM and DOOM2 were OK to play, since then the FPS genre was in it's cradle. Then I saw cool guns, zombies and blood as the main reason to play those games. And so did most people considering that was all you could find.

Now the FPS genre has evolved. And personally I want a solid storyline, immersive and beleivable enviroments and some sort of way to justify sitting by the computer eight hours straight. Which is what I usually do when I get a new game.

In my opinion, eight hours of running in corridors blasting mutants and zombies, with the occassional extra gun thrown in every hour or so is just a waste of time. I was hoping to see DOOM3 evolve into something more immersive and exciting, but that hasn't happened yet, from what I have seen. And so HL2 is first in line for me.

In my opinion, eight hours of running in corridors blasting mutants and zombies, with the occassional extra gun thrown in every hour or so is just a waste of time. I was hoping to see DOOM3 evolve into something more immersive and exciting, but that hasn't happened yet, from what I have seen. And so HL2 is first in line for me.

Yes, yes, but you don't understand, look at the graphics wink_o.gif

Serious Sam was a great old-school shooter. In many respects even better than the originals. I wouldn't say that the genre is dead.

Doom III is another story. They've gone too far to the 'horror' side. Too little humor for my taste.

Just been playing Serious Sam2 for hours with two mates coop at the lan here, it's great. biggrin_o.gif

Hordes and hordes of demons, coming at three people valiantly trying to mow them down with chainguns and rocket launchers.

A nice change of pace from the tactical or semi tactical shooters coming at us.

Coop rocks smile_o.gif

Unfortunately D3 won't have coop. Not in the initial release anyway. I heard ID is considering that option in a future patch though.

I wouldn't say that the genre is dead.

I wouldn't call it dead either, I still fire up DOOM1&2 on occassion (low grades on that science exam!). I am sure I'll enjoy DOOM3 as much as HL2. But HL2 will be my premier choice of FPS this fall.

Sorry Carmack! crazy_o.gif

I'm allmost willing to bet the D3-engine will be the premiere engine (most widely used) simply because of ID's past performances and their customers. Yay smile_o.gif

Has there been anyone who licensed the HL1-engine?

Was'nt most of the HL1-engine actually the Unreal1 engine?

I'm allmost willing to bet the D3-engine will be the premiere engine (most widely used) simply because of ID's past performances and their customers. Yay  smile_o.gif

Half Life was based on the Quake II engine I believe, hence the reason no-one licensed it. I think that Source will be a different matter, but that will depend on how it performs once HL2 comes out.

Still I think they'll meet hefty competition from ID nomatter what considering ID's well known reputation in the biz and former engine-releases.

I'm allmost willing to bet the D3-engine will be the premiere engine (most widely used) simply because of ID's past performances and their customers. Yay smile_o.gif

Yes, most of it were. But what is the relevance to HL2's engine in this case? Source has already been licensed by Troika games for "Vampire: the masquerade" and I think one more game.

And I am begging to differ your point, HL1 has a HUGE fanbase. And with CS:Source being released with HL2 (beta testing has already gone semi-public) I think that HL2 will claim a fair share of the FPS market. Also there are quite an impressive array of mods already started, some closing on finished on the visuals side (models, textures etc.) already announced for HL2.

Fan-made mods are one thing, but I'm talking retail stand-alone products licensed from the engine-producers (ID and Sierra or whatever they're called now)

Screw it all! I'm gettin' Half-Life 2, Halo 2 and Doom 3... AND DON'T TRY TO TALK ME OUT OF IT! tounge_o.gif

ScrEw teh constint 100% reelizm!!1 biggrin_o.gif

And for those Doom nuts out there, I got news!

Doom Collectors Edition has been released, which contains Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom all in one pack!

Does it add anything new? Dunno, only just heard about it... and if it doesn't... who cares!? It's DOOM! biggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

This game rocks! hmmm now what i got in my waiting list Half-Life 2 and Stalker and OFP 2 biggrin_o.gif

Looks nice and atmospheric. Obviously, it won't stand up to Half-Life 2, but still... nice! biggrin_o.gif It's good to see the old UAC symbol again... aah, memories...

[Gareth Gates must die]

Damn! Doom3 dosen't come here until aug. 13rd  crazy_o.gif  mad_o.gif

Up yours release dates in Europa  crazy_o.gif  mad_o.gif !!

Darn it Shadow! Now I must buy the game because of this Doom 3 exposure!

Thingy. crazy_o.gif

And stop posting them pics! Spoiling it for all, and for another reason too...:P

I went to EB games, they didn't have it in today. Guy said it would either be later today or tomarrow. I smacked down an extra five for a reserve and he'll call me.

But the guy was pretty wierd. His face reminded me of Ol' Dalmer and his movements were lethargic and he was pretty slouched.

All I know is that he wouldn't stop staring at the customer chest before me.

He was a class A BDFNU.

*added*

Oh, and to answer your question Shadow, HalfLife was built on the Quake I source code, with heavily butchered Quake II code inside. At heart its an old quaker, but its got the looks better than Quake 2.