Sign in to follow this  
MrZig

Glow-Sticks addon!

This is my first addon, I hope someone likes it smile_o.gif

It is -as the topic says- "Glow-Sticks" in colors Red, Green and Blue.

You throw them like a grenade, and it makes a glowstick appear and follow the grenade (the grenade is really an invisible object that acts as a smoke grenade with no "smoke" to save resources)

Of course the object doesn't appear on it's own, you have to make an eventhandler etc. (details for proper usage in readme)

I have made sure it is MP compatible, and I have tested it with 3 people, and not a single error smile_o.gif

This is the readme:

Quote[/b] ]Addon Name: GlowStick

CREDITS

========

MrZig

ag_smith (for the green glow that I edited),

ECP (for the timed nade config part that has the invisible smokeshell)

Captain (who helped me get it all going).

Milkman (a lil bit of CPP help from him)

ADDON DESCRIPTION

===================

This adds glowstick "grenades". To use them properly, read the "usage" part of this readme.

INSTALLATION

============

To install this addon, extract "ZIG_GlowStick.pbo" into res\addons, or a mod folder.

(If you don't know what a mod folder is, search Avon's faq for "mod folders")

USAGE

============

To add the glowsticks to a soldier, make him exec a script named "GlowStickEquip.sqs" from his init field (he MUST do this for mp, else you won't be able to select the sticks)

;--------------------------------------

;Example: Man1 exec "GlowStickEquip.sqs"

~0.1

_man = _this

_man removemagazines "Handgrenade"

_man addmagazine "ZIG_GlowStickGreen"

_man addmagazine "ZIG_GlowStickGreen"

_man addmagazine "ZIG_GlowStickRed"

_man addmagazine "ZIG_GlowStickBlue"

_man addweapon "ZIG_GlowStick"

exit

;--------------------------------------

Now make a game logic on the map and call it

server

In the Init line of a soldier that has glowsticks...

this addEventHandler ["Fired",{_this exec "\zig_glowstick\glowstick.sqs"}]

Or simply use the demo mission included in the zip file and watch the magnificance that is, this addon.

classnames-

ZIG_GlowStickObjectG (green - static)

ZIG_GlowStickObjectB (blue - static)

ZIG_GlowStickObjectR (red - static)

ZIG_GlowStick (weapon)

ZIG_GlowStickGreen (green - mag)

ZIG_GlowStickRed (red - mag)

ZIG_GlowStickBlue (blue - mag)

Don't sue/blame me, BIS, codemasters or anyone else if this addon does any harm to you or your computer.

Pic:

GlowStickAll.jpg

Now finally, the download link:

http://www.compit.com.au/captain/ZIG_GlowSticks.zip

Coool! In the US Army my unit would put those on targets for night firing. It was soooo cool when once I hit one of them and it blew up with all the glowing stuff spraying everywhere. LOL!

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

its amazing that in the space of a few days, the idea was hatched, the model was made, textures made, cpp made and a new, very useful addon has been released - if that doesnt shout community effort, then what does.

nicely done those involved, downloading now smile_o.gif

Wow. Really nice addon. But, i have a few questions about it.

1. Is it possible to take the gun reloading sound away and maybe replace it with something else? I'm sure they make a sound when using them, although I don't think it is a sound of a gun reloading.

2. Is it possible to make them glow more on the ground like a flare does? They work perfect on other objects, but just not the ground. On the ground they seem as if they do not glow at all. But, when a building or soldier is next to one of them, it works perfect. Is there any way to change this, or is it some kind of limitation?

Other than those two things, it is a great addon.

Quote[/b] ]1. Is it possible to take the gun reloading sound away and maybe replace it with something else? I'm sure they make a sound when using them, although I don't think it is a sound of a gun reloading.

Yep, I forgot about that.

I just changed it and will upload the newest version when Captain comes online.

I'm onine now just not in MSN smile_o.gif . I noticed this too (ground light). It's sort of hit & miss for if the ground lights up or not, sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. THIS pic is of 2 green ones at 550m-ish away.

Cap.

Actually I intended for the glow to be not very bright, since in reality, it isn't smile_o.gif

Edit: New version uploaded! Same download link as in the first post.

Fixes:

1) No more annoying gun reload sound when you reload them

Ok, I have another question.

Is it possible to remove the "Put out fire" action in the action menu as this is rather pointless because after you put them out, they come right back on.

Just a few things ;)

Maybe give them limited light time cus Glow sticks dont last forever :P And a Cracking sound would be nice cus u have to Crack the stick to make them Glow smile_o.gif

Cool Addon BTW ;)

They do have a lifespan, 5 minutes smile_o.gif . And the pin pull sound thats there will have to suffice for the minute, unless MrZig wants this changed, I'm fine with it.

Cap.

Strange... I get no option to put them out. rock.gif

Cap.

Hmm, how long did you wait? Because for me i threw one on the ground then I had to wait around 20 seconds before the option comes up in the action menu. Then it lets me put it out, but it comes back on within a second.

Yay, they are great biggrin_o.gif , fantastic has such a small and simple addon can add so much to the game.

1 minor issue i have is the fire sound, when we throw them they have the same sound has a fire.

If you guys consider further development of the addon i thing it would be awsome if we could hold the sticks on our hand and maybe pick them up from the floor.

If not they are still very cool to have and can give a nice touch to some missions, good job smile_o.gif .

They do have a lifespan, 5 minutes smile_o.gif

Odd, the glowsticks I bought to my hike in the mountains lasted twelve + hours... Granted after two hours it started to fail on me but it still had SOME glow smile_o.gif

Very nice addon, quite odd how something so small can add so much to the game. And create such a reaction in the community. Tonali jungle raves, here I come!

Cool, someome make a whistle and then we can have a rave! ;)

Cool, someome make a whistle and then we can have a rave! ;)

then we can have target pratice on ravers, and thrown in some Clowns and mimes and lawyers.

i havnt tested yet cuz im watchin a movie tounge_o.gif

but judging by the readme this hastn been implemented

my suggestion is to add them to the editor too as static objects

if you have. . then. . .umm whoops tounge_o.gif

Already done, they're in the editor under Empty--Zig Objects--Something. Add this to the Init of each (to those who don't know tounge_o.gif ).

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this inflame true

or classnames-

ZIG_GlowStickObjectG (green - static)

ZIG_GlowStickObjectB (blue - static)

ZIG_GlowStickObjectR (red - static)

Cap.

Nice job guys. It's weird to think my original idea, 2 days later is out there for all to see and use. Now all I need to do is learn and get better at making addons myself and I can get the credit lol.

Yeah obviously they will need some little tweaks as with anything...yeah the fact that they sometimes don't glow on the ground properly is weird but also when you throw them they seem to just land and stop, it looks strange cos you expect them to bounce or something. Great job.

I would like to use this sticks to mark LZ, and as signal for waiting chopper to move to LZ.

How can i do it? Does they act like flare? Can i use onFlare?

For instance player is throwing stick, and depend of it's colour one of different choppers is going to pick up player.

I like them very much smile_o.gif