Sign in to follow this  
Spy17

Silent hunteriii

Yeah, I snuck into Scapa Flow and Gibraltar, only to find that there were no anchored battleships to sink. sad_o.gif

Hehe, those are the first two things I did after getting the game. Too bad that there was nothing to see there, but fortunately in both places there were a bunch of destroyers outside the harbor which you could blow out of the water.

Anyway, it's a nice little sim. It does however have a big flaw - no wolfpacks. By 1941 in the Atlantic, the convoys were 100+ ship big and wolfpacks of 20-30 subs attacked them.

It really sucks that they havn't been implemented.

Has anyone got a positive feedback on reporting a convoi ?

I reported one and kept in touch for 4 days, but no plane or ship showed up to assist me in engaging them.

I made a nice experience though. I fired a magnetic torpedo on a merchant as the sea was too rough for deck gun action and he lost his propeller (right expression ? ) so it was burning and standing still. I set my boat on the ground and waited. I surfaced at night and got a bit closer. In the morning I heard a plane manned the flak and took down the plane wich was inspecting the burning ship. I sunk to seabed again and waited. The next night I went to surface again and an armed coastal ship came along to visit the burning merchant. It was circling a while and then it sunk the merchant. wow_o.gif

I calculated a firing solution and sunk the armed coastal ship. As I was near Scapa Flow the next day the area was swarming with planes and 2 destroyers came to the location. I decided to sneak away towards Scapa only to run into 6 enemies who were doing a freaky search pattern there. I surfaced at night to look for close distance targets when the searchlight of a destroyer pointed into my direction and blinded me. I made a crash dive double-changed course and went to silent running, calculated a possible angle to the destroyer and sent out 2 torpedos. Clock was ticking and I was not really confident to hit the destroyer. Then I heard an impact, followed by a second one seconds after. I sunk the destroyer. biggrin_o.gif

The rest of the story is a short one. 4 other destroyers came to me and bombed me to bits after some 20 minute chasing.

I think it´s odd that you can´t save on sea. Missions do take a very long time, especially if you have to drive all the way from Kiel to AM51 or such. I often scout out the convoi routes pointed out on the map that came with SH3, and try to attack the convois in a good way. It would be very much better if you could save there and go on the next day. Right now you start in harbour all over... sad_o.gif

Good story!   wink_o.gif  Actually I think it would be much more interesting if you could safe during a mission in order to try different strategies. Same was true for OFP when it came out. Now that I can safe during a mission whenever I want to I have much more fun and better opportunities to learn from mistakes.

But I guess you are not the only one and soon there might be an official patch (i hope). Has anyone found a site that already thinks about modding?

The official forum is quite interesting to read. To bored to google? Here it is http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=400102&f=857101043

(btw. the key "^" doesnt work for me, machines dont stop if I press it!)

em... you are using bad key, for machine stop you need to press "~" key smile_o.gif

yup, that's the story of starting a mission all over again... i did it, how many times? maybe 30? i'm still on the first mission from whilhemshlafen biggrin_o.gif

but it looks quite interesning... new grid to patrol... but i know how you could get into the same grid, but thats no good, because shiping lanes change and you woun't be able to encounter same ship in same grid biggrin_o.gif

I can save whenever i want during a mission ... weird

Hit escape and i get the option to save and save & exit.

I still have original unpatched version cause i read that in 1.1 they scrapped the option to goto base at any given time. In 1.1 you have to be surfaced and can t be detected before you can save & exit to base.

It happened to me 1 time i didn t finish a mission, i was also waiting for the weather to clear after hitting a merchant with my last torpedo and wanted to finish him off with my deckgun, the merchant couldn t move anymore so i dived to periscop depth and waited and waited ... i kinda forgot i was on battery power and after i think 1.5 days of waiting in accelerated time suddenly my boat sank to the bottom cause i lost all the juice in the batteries mad_o.gif

I just went to main menu and career then i could load my saved game.

Cheers

2 denoir

What do you think expansions are for? You didn't really believe that Ubisoft will give you extra stuff did you? It's not BIS. tounge_o.gif

So in about 6 months time (around Xmas or so) you can expect to see Silent Hunter 3: Wolfpacks Expansion. I am sure they will announce it on E3! smile_o.gif

Have you guys seen this mod (World Expansion v1.72): http://www.combatplanes.ca/m_c.htm

I have not tried it yet but it looks very interesting. I really like that part about having ships in the harbor. That is something I miss in the game now. Its no fun sneaking in to an enemy harbor just to find out its completely empty.

I grabbed it last night the first thing i noticed was more traffic at my home port of Wilhelmshaven, i havent made it into an enemy port yet as my current mission takes me through the channel and there is a bit more traffic now. I even noticed several additional Destroyer types that i had not seen previously.

I definetly recomend getting it, just make sure your most recent save is in a port as the readme says you wont be able to continue your career from a save point that has you on station.

Mine just arrived.

Question: is the 1.2 patch all inclusive? I.e., I can skip the 1.1 patch?

Should we form an OFP Wolfpack? smile_o.gif

Would be great to play online, been playing this for a couple of days now, lost alot of sleep over it smile_o.gif playing to 2-3am then up again at 6-7am soon catches up on you hehe

2 denoir

What do you think expansions are for? You didn't really believe that Ubisoft will give you extra stuff did you? It's not BIS.  tounge_o.gif

So in about 6 months time (around Xmas or so) you can expect to see Silent Hunter 3: Wolfpacks Expansion. I am sure they will announce it on E3!  smile_o.gif

Well I have to say this UBI developer team seems to care a lot about their community too (even though they are not BIS smile_o.gif). They decided to delay the game (when it was almost finished) so they could add the "dynamic" campaign because the community demanded it. They also read and participate (at least one of them does) in some forum discussions and have fixed some things (other than bugs) people have asked for in the patches. I don't think they left wolfpacks out just so they could do an add-on. I’m sure they wanted to include wolfpacks but you have to draw the line somewhere and get the game out on the market. But if they decide to release a wolfpack add-on I will definitely buy it smile_o.gif

Winters: Sounds good, I will make backup of my career to be on the safe side and install it too.

Balschoiw: You can't save at sea? That sound strange, I do it all the time. rock.gif

I know they're planning a SH4 for release soon - it'll be US submarines in the Pacific, AFAIK.

Still, I'd instantly buy any expansion for this product. I can only hope the expansions are as good as this - I'd love to command a destroyer, cruiser or battleship for example. Or command a wolfpack (were they actually commanded or just operated in the same areas?) Or even a simple expansion with lots of new ship models - I'd like to see real French ships (sink the Jean Bart!), Italian ships, more variety of merchants, etc.

anyone got a mirror to the SH3_world.zip? the link on that combatplanes site dont seem to work.

was looking forward to trying it out sad_o.gif

Well I can save at sea. But loading that in campaign mode does not take me to the sea again but to my office.

I just had one of such. I had already sunk 34.200 tons of crapmetal moving on the convoy route down to Alexandria, I guess 2 C3´s , merchants and some guardboats and had some eels left so I decided to visit Malta smile_o.gif

That damn port at Malta is a real one. There are korvettes and about 4 destroyers patrolling the really low water. I approached a destroyer first but the weather was so bad, raining , night, high waves that I couldn´t even get it into my scope. My WO got frenzy already as we were 600 m´s close to that fast moving destroyer. I have set up a nice ambush point and let an acoustic torpedo go into that direction. Scope down, sneak away. Boom ! Pinging !

Go to 15 m´s. Boat is crackling like hell as the hull got some damage from C3´s. Nice feature btw. If your hull is damaged the boat starts to ache and moan while doing dives. Fantastic atmosphere.

I hear the destroyer ping me and see the others incoming on my position. I go full speed shut down engine and do a 90 to the right and let drift get me. It turns the boat and I see that tracking destroyer goes to my last know position. I have to fix the depth a bit as the boat is in danger of touching the ground. I sit there for almost 15 real time minutes and the destroyers loose interest. I still got sonar to the destroyer I hit, so it´s time to finish him off. I take a wide circle while silent running and turning engine off when destroyers come close to my route. I turn the boat around to use my rear torpedo, also acustic. Just what I need here as I can´t get visual to the destroyer without getting my tower blown away. I got 300 m´s close to the destroyer. My previous torpedo had blown it´s propeller off as I have seen on camera while inspecting the boat.

Ok , ready set go. Torpedo away witht he best solution I could think of. (Big fun to calculate torpedo on your own. Not that hard also...at least for a static target biggrin_o.gif )

Ok , torpedo away while the other destroyers and korvettes were at good distance and full throttle.

Tickticktick engine speeding up. I try to get speed, tickticktick, Boom !

Destroyer sunk !

Heavy pinging.

Damn

They come in at very high speed.

Ok, fleeing is impossible.

Stop engines, double turn right

Let´s hope the offset puts us out of the depthcharges way.

The boat skreeks onto ground.

2 chambers damaged and water in the boat.

Repair team working. It´s about surviving now, not beeing silent.

The first row of depth charges was laid badly. 2 bombs went off and then the crew did something terribly wrong. The captain reduced the speed very much and the depthcharges crew fired to short. The rear deck of the Destroyer exploded and crewmen were flying through the air. (No joke, actual ingame graphics) The destroyer exploded from the rear to the bridge. Soon later the front deck exploded and the destroyer began to sink over his rear. This looked mad. In the meantime a corvette gave it a go, razored of my tower and sunk itself by doing so. I had no chance to fight the water in my boat anymore as the main pump was damaged. I ordered my LI to blow out all the pressure air to get us to surface.

We didn´t even come that far...

You know it´s situations like that where I would want to save before I try to attack something I can´t cope with. And reload right at the spot. Why don´t they implement that ? I mean hours wasted...you know.

Anyway here are some pictures from tonight:

subh3f.jpg

There she goes in a moonlit night...

And the grammophon played "Lilli Marlen". Nice sound additions by they way smile_o.gif

subh3g.jpg

Are they so happy that I leave ? rock.gifwow_o.giftounge_o.gif

subh3h.jpg

Photoshopped steel death.

Alright, Balschoiw. Ya sold me, I gotta get this game. Sounds like sweet tension and plotting. biggrin_o.gif

Balschoiw: You must be experiencing some bug because I can save while at sea and I don't return to the office when I load that saved game. Have you installed any mods or something that could be the cause of this?

Have you guys seen this mod (World Expansion v1.72): http://www.combatplanes.ca/m_c.htm

I have not tried it yet but it looks very interesting. I really like that part about having ships in the harbor. That is something I miss in the game now. Its no fun sneaking in to an enemy harbor just to find out its completely empty.

I grabbed it last night the first thing i noticed was more traffic at my home port of Wilhelmshaven, i havent made it into an enemy port yet as my current mission takes me through the channel and there is a bit more traffic now. I even noticed several additional Destroyer types that i had not seen previously.

I definetly recomend getting it, just make sure your most recent save is in a port as the readme says you wont be able to continue your career from a save point that has you on station.

Could you possibly email me the mod? the link on the site aint working no more

Quote[/b] ]Have you installed any mods or something that could be the cause of this?

I only added some songs to the grammophone folder and patched it to 1.2.

This seems very interesting, is there a demo out to give it a try and see how it plays first rock.gif .