Sign in to follow this  
T J

Why do you do it???

Quote[/b] ]Why do you, as an individual, mod/script/texture/config/research/make missions/edit etc etc

for OFP?

What makes you do it?

What do you get out of it?

What problems does it cause you?

I model, texture, config...blah blah blah for the sole reason that i enjoy it.

I dunno. Its a love hate thing. I started out as a mission editor at Nomad for pure enjoyment, they didnt have enough modellers so i downloaded O2 to see if i could help out, got into modelling, recently got into texturing, for the sole reason that my mod needed texturers, so i kinda took it on myself (plus it saved me having to find a texturer every time i was making an addon)

So i never really intended to get this deep, but every time someone called on me or something needed doing (ie, learning to texture because i needed textures), i answered and became proficient in whatever skill was needed.

Why do i run my own mod? I have a vision that i want fufilled.

What makes me do it? Fufilling that vision, not letting my team down, not letting any of my mates down.

What do i get out of it? Nothing, with the exception of, say, gratitude from P machine when i make him a gun wink_o.gif , or words along the lines of "good job" from my team, and when my mod is complete i guess ill have the satisfaction of taking a vision of what i want to achieve and putting it into practise. smile_o.gif

But then, thats what us addon makers work for huh, the feel good factor of a job well done......

Problems...where do i start....well you can imagine i have to sacrifice time elsewhere to make time for editing...... sad_o.gif

A question raised in another thread, migrating here.

Why do you, as an individual, mod/script/texture/config/research/make missions/edit etc etc

for OFP?

What makes you do it?

We dont wanna see any idealistic notions, just the bare knuckled truth, let's hear about it!!

TJ

I was denied a model railroad as a kid. Along with a ten speed bike and countless other things I asked Santa.

One day when he's not watching I'm gonna kick his ass, in the mean time I console myself into making objects I cannot touch, for a virtual computer game and to share them with people I have never met...

I do it cos I'm nearing senility and will never fly a helicopter or fighter jet.

I get the satisfaction that what I create is enjoyed by millions.. er.. thousands worldwide.. Hmm should franchise this..

The only problem I have is there is so much to do.. so little time smile_o.gif

that's all from me.. my psychiatrist says that I shouldn't get too excited.. doh she's blonde, 23, and drop dead gorgeous.. damn.. my pacemaker batteries are getting fla...

Quote[/b] ]What makes you do it?

I like to see 'kickass' things in real life be put on my computer screen. Things that I normally can't get ahold of. E.g. military vehicles. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What do you get out of it?

Experience and knowledge. In computers, time-keeping, art, and the military.

Quote[/b] ]What problems does it cause you?

Nothing much anymore. It does however draw me to deal withpestering people asking pointless questions. I have many new projects but the fact that when I show it to somebody else, they want it. And so everybody else wants it. It's annoying, and it makes it almost compulsory for me to release it. So I keep it for myself.

There are 3 types of modders:

- the ones who do it for themselves for self-satisfaction.

- the ones who do it for other people to impress and gain credit.

- the ones who do it for both. smile_o.gif

I must say, I've fallen into the first category lately.

I Mainly do it, because i just thought to myself one-day that OFp was soo boring..... and just started playing around with GMAX which was hard to import because i didnt have 3dsmax..... But now... I do it, because its fun plus im going into the army in a year, and the community as a whole are generally quite good, when i post a few screen shots biggrin_o.gif

A question raised in another thread, migrating here.

A) Why do you, as an individual, mod/script/texture/config/research/make missions/edit etc etc

for OFP?

B) What makes you do it?

C) What do you get out of it?

D) What problems does it cause you?

We dont wanna see any idealistic notions, just the bare knuckled truth, let's hear about it!!

TJ

A) becuz its fun, gives me somethin to do, and i like to release my stuff sometimes and see the joy and happyness it makes others feel

B) different reasons, such as if i retexture something its becuz the orginal didnt fit my needs, if i config something its to improve the affect my (version) addon has for the game, if i script something (IE: the CD player) its becuz i need something that noone has done yet

C) a feeling of pride and self-acomplishment

D) insomnia. my config project for instance has me goin to bed somewhere around 7am cuz thats when i finnaly convince myself "it will be there when u wake up"

What makes you do it?

There isn't really commercial possibility for realistic tacticals shooter simulation having Finnish forces, so if you want it, you have to do it yourself and OFP makes it possible.

Well, you get the game that plays just way you want it... If you're not happy with something in OFP then you can change it, and OFP's scripting language has proven to be suprisingly powerful.

Of course time spent modding is away from actually playing OFP tounge_o.gif Otherwise than that, it really does not cause problems. If there comes the day it is no longer fun, then I just stop doing it...

I texture, mission edit, 3d model and script ofp.

Quote[/b] ]What makes you do it?

Texture: Because its an art form, i love making textures for vehicles in ofp, cus they look just plain cool.

Mission edit: Because i like to make something people can play and think "i wish i'd thought of that" or "thats a really cool feature to the map".

3D Model: this is my favorite of them all, it really racks my brain, its like doing a puzzel, a maths quiz and using the deepest parts of your imagination all at the same time. Really works my brain, i cant sleep within 2 hours of deep 3d modelling.

Scripting: Again, intelectual challenge, maths, logic, systems.

Quote[/b] ]What do you get out of it?

Texture: Satisfaction that i have the ability to make somthing look as good as it does.

Mission edit: Fun, gamage, satisfaction that i made somthing fun and enjoyable.

3D Model: Cool renders, the ability to applaud myself after a good weeks work, that i achieved what i set out to and completed a multitude of intellectual challenges.

Scripting: Making somthing that works. fun overcoming problems that arise during the building of the scripts.

Quote[/b] ]What problems does it cause you?

Texture: Not much - exept having to say "fuck? is it that time already?"

Mission edit: Frustration when i cant get a syntax or piece of code i need but cant remember

3D Model: Our house is competly ridden of any quick energy giving supplements - Coffee, chocolate, sugar, coke etc. and i loose days of sleep at a time.

Scripting: Many hours spent debugging and stuff. boring.

what i have messed with was to make things i wanted to see and fix issues, and standerdize add-ons..

I do Combat Photography because I enjoy it and it's aesthetics.

I'm starting up doing mission editing/creation because my squad CO told me to. biggrin_o.gif

I have always been an artist...

and I always got interested in shit that you could build on over time, like composing music, or drawing something that was really awsome looking to have people fawn all over you about how good you are, and i used to tell them, practice is all it is, but i later realized it, noone wants to practice, but i found that i enjoyed the practise, i gained personal gratification from knowing i was getting better, on top of that, i am my own worst critic so by the time someone has seen it, chances are the reaction will be good, and again the gratification comes...

I never was a sports jock, I was a skater kid, smoked alot of weed and never went to school, therefore i never got any gratification from any of that shit, i found it in the one thing i was good at, being creative, and making art.

I never knew shit about the military, especially Vietnam,,, just what i got from movies and stuff, but OFP, somehow this game had sparked some excitment inside me, then the editor... it was over from there.

So coming from graphic design/web design/sound design/music composition etc. etc. this was just another way to create something, a work of art, layers of intricit details working in unison... all the same prinsiples, only this time, i can use ALL my skills in this one art form, and so i was hooked.

Not to mention the SEB nam pack 2 blowing my mind and starting the snowball effect that has effectily changed my whole life into this quest for knowledge on all things Nam and the likes...

Regards to the mod,,, I feel at this point I must finish it to honor all who have put forth work to the cause, not to mention my personal obsession with re-creating the Vietnam war to the best of my ability in the best consevable engine for it and to ensure the realism only ofp can produce.

(Did i mention the TV is only good for the history channel and playing DVD's)

Long Live it.

coz TV sux!

"I know you're upset right now, so I'll pretend I didn't hear that." wink_o.gif

Nah...you're right.....TV sux, OFP is the snitzer! biggrin_o.gif

Guest major gandhi

Making AddOns for Ofp just satisfys my productive impulse. I'm not satisfied with only consuming games, I want to realize my own ideas.

Why do I (attempt) to mod? Because I love flashpoint and the specific things that I try to add into it.

ural.jpg

An ongoing enhancement of another's addon (with permission even). I'm not too good and it's still very much in progress, but I try.

Quote[/b] ]

What makes you do it?

Mainly to help the community and pay back for the addons I have used,the thrill of doing things by myself.Pride in completing something,learning things and keeping my mechanical abilities fresh.Challenge

Quote[/b] ]

Not much ,just the usual, stay up late, lose sleep ,some extra stress. Sometimes some embarassment and aggravation.

Sometimes endless hours of research and work for nothing

Here's why will I do it.

I have a lot of time on my hands.

I want to make something that others never have, and probably never will.

I want to offer something to everyone, in the hope of somehow satisfying someone else’s desire for the thing.

I want to test myself, using skills I have acquired, and will acquire in future, and apply them to something I thoroughly enjoy.

This community: Friendly, whilst down to earth at the same time, and that I feel I owe it so much. They have provided the tutorials and tools to make it all happen, and I feel I can ask for help without being turned away.

Yes, TV sucks. Even pay TV sucks. (History Channel, Discovery channel and National Geographic excluded)

I'm mesmerized by military equipment.

The work of some the existing and past OFP community is amazing, and thus inspiring.

What’s preventing me:

I am a perfectionist.

I take pride in my work. Too much, and thus my probable reaction to negative, destructive comments would also probably result in the banning of me from the forums. So look out! wink_o.gif

I fear the time I will be able to devote to my projected project will diminish within a few months. But I will persevere.