Sign in to follow this  
T J

Why do you do it???

A question raised in another thread, migrating here.

Why do you, as an individual, mod/script/texture/config/research/make missions/edit etc etc

for OFP?

What makes you do it?

What do you get out of it?

What problems does it cause you?

We dont wanna see any idealistic notions, just the bare knuckled truth, let's hear about it!!

TJ

i like to make missions to amuse myself, plus I also like to see people take joy from my missions, i also like to try and reenact military scenarios using the editor, making them as real as possible etc

Quote[/b] ]

Why do you, as an individual, mod/script/texture/config/research/make missions/edit etc etc

for OFP?

Because I like to make stuff which I would love to fly around with in OFP (mostly fly , since I basicly only do planes).. and because I like to see the reactions when I post pics from them or when I post a beta on IRC.. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

What makes you do it?

Fun , excitement to be able to make what you want (within limits)

Quote[/b] ]

Fun, friends smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

What problems does it cause you

Nothing much.. nothing actually..  smile_o.gif

I want to make something I want, which I can use. If I believe it's good enough, I may even release it.

So far, no joy, but I'll keep trying smile_o.gif

Edited for comment:

Good question, TJ. smile_o.gif

Because I got tired of bitching about other people's addons, or other people's lack of addons to my specs, and decided to put my money where my mouth was and step out of the peanut gallery. If I weren't working on addons to my liking I would have lost interest in OFP long ago. Perhaps it's arrogant but I really only like to play with stuff I've had my sweaty little paws all over and tweaked to my liking. It's a control-freak thing I'm sure.

Also, making addons and missions for OFP scores me tons of vag. Ya know those ladies just throw themselves on ya when you say "hey baby, your man hasn't reconfigured OFP based on 6 months of research into all aspects of armor, ballistics, and realism. But I have. Let's make out."

[/sarcasm]

What makes you do it?

Mainly for fun, the challenge of taking something from the real world, and making it as accurate as possible within the game engines limits, then unlike plastic model kits, actually being able to fly/drive/sail around in it, and blow s**t up biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What do you get out of it?

Satisfaction of a job well done, new skills etc

Quote[/b] ]What problems does it cause you?

Countless hours of frustration and hair pulling at that last little bug that just wont die... no matter how hard you "stamp" on it.

And some other "afflictions"...

I do it because i love ofp and i love to make missions in it biggrin_o.gif

Well... i cant explain it. I JUST LOVE IT! Sometimes friend give me ideas and say me about it. then i'm making missions/cutscenes smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What makes you do it?

Simple i get enjoyment out of setting up little missions in the editor and taking photos of them.

I also like setting up the hardest scenarios i can think of in the editor and attempting to acheive it.

The only problem it causes me is when i go stupid and post a hundred pics in a week i lose my website server (provider shuts it down) for a week because people have leached to much bandwith from it by viewing my pictures (unfortunately this has happened alot tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif ). They have also tried to hit me with a bill for the bandwith over 40gb per month, but they will never succeed in that  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]We dont wanna see any idealistic notions, just the bare knuckled truth, let's hear about it!!

Ok, here I go...

Quote[/b] ]Why do you, as an individual, mod/script/texture/config/research/make missions/edit etc etc

for OFP?

1. OFP editing is easier and cheaper than editing other games. If RvS (or any other game) was easier, I'd be working with that game.

2. I'm a spoiled preppie with way too much time in my hands.

Kind of hard to describe. I just get an editing urge at some odd time, and I usually try to fulfill this urge.

Enjoyment, improved logic skills (From the scripting).

1. Bad grades (At times)

2. Family wonders why I'm looking at plant pictures for four hours a day.

Quote[/b] ]Why do you, as an individual, mod/script/texture/config/research/make missions/edit etc etc

for OFP?

Because,Im enjoy OFP,

Nothing makes me do it.I just do it for fun.

I get more experience at what ever im doing.

No problems here.

What makes you do it? I like to make my little islands for some reason I honestly don't know.

What do you get out of it? Feeling good about making people happy

What problems does it cause you? I have no life, im a nerd and......... pisses me off when visitor freezes or the frickin road keeps disappearing.

There ya go

im a nerd and......... pisses me off when visitor freezes or the frickin road keeps disappearing.

Twat, isn't it?

to be the best smile_o.gif

jack f*cking sh*t biggrin_o.gif

Mainly for fun, the challenge of taking something from the real world, and making it as accurate as possible within the game engines limits, then unlike plastic model kits, actually being able to fly/drive/sail around in it, and blow s**t up biggrin_o.gif

There you go, you making me download O2 now, you bad man. biggrin_o.gif

Lol,

Anyway, now that I'm here...

Why I work on missions and never release them? should be the question, but I'll answer yours instead.

Awhile back, I used to play Delta force II and Land warrior, I had a thing about creating multiplayer missions, and the squad I was on used to love them.

Now in OFP, I'm not in a squad, but I can get more out of the mission editor, making me learn alot every time I create something.

I get alot of satisfaction and self appreciation, while my missus moans like hell that I haven't got out the garden to get the washing in the house from the line.

Then after I play my creations I realice that I learn something ellse that can make them better, and by the time I finish building mission I hate it and I bine it.

Am I normal? crazy_o.gif Tell me, TELL MEEEEEE!!!! crazy_o.gif

lol, just jocking.

I know you don't wanna know all that, but it have to come out of me tounge_o.gif

@CERO.

Haha, no @cero, I think we all have made missions but never release them biggrin_o.gif

for OFP?

Becuase I enjoy it. Plus I get to play with all the new addons tounge_o.gif

Nothing. I just have fun doing it.

Nothing. Except the occasional "Good Job" when I give someone a mission I made wink_o.gif

Parents think I'm now some nutcase because once I was sleeptalking resaying the dialogue of a mission crazy_o.gif Supposedly I said "MORTARS!!! Take cover!!!" tounge_o.gif

for OFP?

What makes you do it?

I am a 13 + year vetran from the US Army. I've used and maintained a great deal of the military combat hardwear utilized in OFP. Having built other military combat simulation systems this gave a neat challange to mess with. Maybe bring over some of the elements from the older systems to OFP and better enhance things in the virtual battlefield experiance

Having spent some time as OPFOR, had to learn to operate and maintain Russain made equipment to use against sister units and beat them into submission durring high level combat training operations. Making them better for when they are released in to real combat missions I know the training saves the lives of many of my comrades now serving in the many hot spots around the world. Being a former Cold War troop I help mod groups with making correct units for the time period as a military advisor, something I picked up doing for the comic book and film industry while working in comics. I deal in it time to time but mostly artwork and comic work as taken a sideline to work on OFP.

Having been a member of the Red Hammer Studios team I also help other mod teams as well as freelance addon makers across the board. Also a low end modeler as I get to show it should be illegal for me to have O2 in my possession. =P

Personal enjoyment, not having to spend 5 + hours of maintainace on a tracked vehicle like in real life after you finish the mission in ofp.

What problems does it cause you?

Very few things I can really hop up and down and scream agrilly about.. Not like the old Quake community or halflife/CS that I came over from a lot less cheeze. Other than personality conflics which is gonna happen in any comunity to be honest nobody here has pissed me off enough to want to kill them. So I'll take that as a blessing. So the norm less sleep working on addons and doing research for long hours. Dealing with Bugs in the game. And did I mention trying to fix bugs?

I'm not an addon maker, scripter, texture artist, mission maker, webmaster, or whatever, but i still like to mess around and edit things.

I mainly do this for myself, like if i see something out there that Ifeel needs to be changed, for my own personal preference, i'll screw around a bit. If i actually took the time, and tried to release something professional, I think i'd do it to create/edit/rerelease something for the community, like something that I feel is needed. I don't see the point of doing it for glory, cause face it, were sittin on our computers for 50 hours a week, we're loosers, no one gives a shit in the real world if we are the best at what we do. So pretty much do things for yourself, or do something thats useful for others. Don't try to use a computer game as a claim to fame.

I work with Swedish Forces Pack because I want to see swedish units in Operation Flashpoint.

That's the simple explanation.

We continue our work because we can't let go, there's always one more thing you want to see in OFP, so we make it smile_o.gif

Missions (and accompanying scripting) I make so that I can enjoy the addons I like with my friends.

In the case of making addons, the reward is simply that I get to see the addons I like in OFP.

And by releasing the addons I'm making it possible to use these addons in multiplayer games with friends and aquaintances.

In the case of making missions, the reward is that I get to play missions that I like. It enables me to build any mission I want using any addon I want. Which ensures me that the mission will be realistic (within limits), and because I usually play with "proper" players, the mission is played out in a realistic manner.

None, actually.

What makes me do it and what do I get out of it?

1.  I do it for the community, it's the greatest!  smile_o.gif

2.  I get experience that might help me move forward with my career of choice (game design, anything with game design).

3.  I do it for the creation of fun in others and I get fun out of it.

4.  I do it for the mod(s) I'm in.

Problems?  

1.  Lack of time to do all the things I have planned, want to do, or people need my help on.

Good question, it's interesting to read what others think on these subjects.  wink_o.gif

Asmo

Missions, takes surprisingly too much time. It's just like a doll house with assault rifles, helicopters and main battle tanks. tounge_o.gif

What made me do it? (Modeling, configs, light skining, scripting.)

#1 Lack of a better hobby and it's fun.

#2 Things too low polly.

#3 It's a skill you can learn.

What was the trouble.

#1 No one want's to help me skin.

#2 Lack of sleep.  crazy_o.gif

#3 Damn near everyone hates me here. blues.gif

I enjoy it, it's a great engine/game....and who knows, it might even be a pathway to doing these things a little bit more "professionally". wink_o.gif

It's fun and creative smile_o.gif.

I always try out editors and the like. And if they are easy enough, I'm hooked quite fast.

Texturing OFP models has some advantages over painting miniatures, it is better for the lungs and the paint does not chip when the troops move. I do it primarily for fun and because the size of the potential Dutch market will probably never warrant the investment for a developer to include any units from the Netherlands in a game.

Regards,

Sander