Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Opf user mission creating competition...

banner1.jpg

Hi all

Ignore this banner submission if it's coming too late but I've only just heard about the competition... crazy_o.gif  I've put this on the banner page as well so delete this message if required.

Cheers

i just heard about this competition, and i wanted to know the rules..... i don't have time to read all the 11 pages..... do you have any website or url for these rules ? ? ?

Quick question, how many ppl are you expecting to get here. Cause if like 1000 ppl send something in there are going to be a lot of good ones. Your chances of winning would be small... tiny..........

what about reading the thread..

Any addon is usable in your mission, but you NEED working links for them in the readme.

Is there a limit on how many mission one person can submit to the contest?

Seriously, if there is a working set of rules, could someone please post them on a static web page and link to them for us?

Is the deadline still June 14th? That's tomorrow.

And the "only uncopyrighted music" idea is too restrictive, especially given the time remaining. (I just now heard about this contest on ofp.info, which is one reason why OFP fansites piss me off... they spend too much time showing screenshots of renders of units that have already been made by someone else umpteen times and not enough time keeping the community informed of important events like this. Never mind that they never seem to post MY news.) Some of your best missions use uncopyrighted music, TJ.

Ive been away for the weekend, but guys, if you took the time to read the thread youd knwo that Placebo has given us some lead time before the competition to help decide the rules and such, how we want it to be, so post your ideas or he'll be forced to make it up himself and you will be playing by his rules alone.

Dont want to be mean but wasnt this compotition start 2 hours ago rock.gif

Is the deadline still June 14th?  That's tomorrow.

No it starts today, deadline is 9AM CET Monday August 16th.

Quote[/b] ](I just now heard about this contest on ofp.info, which is one reason why OFP fansites piss me off... they spend too much time showing screenshots of renders of units that have already been made by someone else umpteen times and not enough time keeping the community informed of important events like this.  Never mind that they never seem to post MY news.)

The fact that this really hasn't been posted anywhere yet (ofp.info excepted) is down to me and me alone, please don't criticise any fansites for that, criticise me if anyone.

I deliberately kept this low key while in the planning stage so that I could quietly take on board the ideas and suggestions without it getting blown up into some massive excite fest of testosterone. Another reason why it hasn't been advertised much beyond these forums, is because these forums are responsible for the idea and Winters especially is responsible for feeding me with a passion to organise and run the thing. Winter's passionate yet articulate voicing of displeasure at my refusal to create a Mission Editor VIP award is pretty much why we're here today.

For the start I set a date but not a time, it will launch today, even if I have to stay here until 23:59 CET to ensure that wink_o.gif

sorry I got it mixed around. I thought the 9AM was the start. I just read 9AM and thought that was the start. smile_o.gif

My apoligines smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ](I just now heard about this contest on ofp.info, which is one reason why OFP fansites piss me off... they spend too much time showing screenshots of renders of units that have already been made by someone else umpteen times and not enough time keeping the community informed of important events like this.  Never mind that they never seem to post MY news.)

The fact that this really hasn't been posted anywhere yet (ofp.info excepted) is down to me and me alone,

this news was posted on ofp.At on 21 April 2004 ... some sites do pay attention to interesting initiatives

on a more constructive note: the question of how many custom addons can be used etc. has been amply discussed at the beginning of this thread. It has more or less been agreed upon that this lies within the common sense of the mission maker him/herself.

Please let us not be too restrictive on the rules (categories, Mb. size). If you take the time to read Placebo's initial thread message, you will see that this competition primarily aims to give us a variety of *finished* quality missions that may or may not use quality addons that tend to sit around on our harddisks without use.

It appears to me that the idea of having a "basic template" from which everyone needs to start has gained little or no support, as this would severely restrict the variety of playable missions this competition is most likely to produce. But the basic template might function as an additional separate category in which mission makers can compete?

What about adopting the OFPEC rules?

I applaud Ofp.at, even if I can't read the news post wink_o.gif

it wasnt the 14th when i said that where i live, that was last night.

today is the 14th for me biggrin_o.gif

Good luck all with the missions!

(i would like to be a judge if there is still room)

As promised the information about rules/judging/categories etc. is now made public here, there is also a little bit more info in the latest FlashNews. Tomorrow I'll get this information released around the community and answer any questions I find waiting for me, goodnight smile_o.gif

Holy shizat!

The full VBS simulation, every cd! Holy crap!

But I have no mission ideas sad_o.gif

Hi everyone,

Hope u like the banner, Im glad to have the opportunity to lend my talents to the good of the community as a whole.  smile_o.gif

I hope this competition takes off, may the best mission maker win!

biggrin_o.gif

Good Luck Soldiers!

edit - thats incredible! VBS1! makes me want to make the damn mission now...   crazy_o.gif

Would a mission lose playability points if you couldn't save it and load it later? If it did lose points, that would immediately eliminate using UA or large-scale command scripts crazy_o.gif .

There's one thing about addons missions I thought of...

What about addons that weren't released before submission of the mission?

So let's say someone releases his addons shortly before submitting his mission. What about those addons/missions?

I thought of that myself, but that seems pretty simple, addons are allowed, as long as the addons u put in your mission are available at the time of the mission being submitted it would be fine.

Right?

EDIT -

hmm, just thought of one thing, if your addon turns out to be not completely done, and the mission hinges on it somehow... it could be detrimental to your overall score.

(as an afterthought I put that link in there for the english-second-language folks)

Hmm, I would be happy if I just got the signed t-shirt biggrin_o.gif Will you sign it placebo? Anyway, VBS won't run on my computer wink_o.gif

anyway, I think this is a great idea, and I hope to be able to submit at least 1 nam mission, even though I'll be gone the 3 first weeks now. Will be hard since I'm very slow making missions tounge_o.gif

Garcia

Missions must not contain any copyrighted material. That expressly includes (but is not limited) to music/sound effects.

Dang.

Missions must not contain any copyrighted material. That expressly includes (but is not limited) to music/sound effects.

Dang.

If the winning missions were going to be adopted as official missions, this rule would make sense. It only serves to prevent our missions from having good soundtracks and sound effects.

At the beginning of this thread, the initiative seemed aimed to stimulate mission-finishing activity and we all know that many fine missions (e.g., TJ's) have already been made using copyrighted material.

Do you actually expect me to record a game-worthy version of any particular song by the 19th?

The rule actually works AGAINST the initial goal of the initiative. I have some good mission ideas I might be able to whip up by then, but music and sound effects take time to make, and the 19th doesn't allow us that time.

So, I'll probably bow out of this contest because of one silly rule.

If the concern is that a winner might receive something in exchange for using someone else's music or sound effects without permission, then why not allow people to participate using copyrighted material while waiving any claim to the prize(s?).

I'd like to enter my mission and have it judged. I don't care about the prize.