Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Opf user mission creating competition...

Okies I've caught up with the thread now so figured I'd post some thoughts (please note these aren't official competition rules/decisions, just thoughts at this point)......

Too many categories will possibly result in too thinned out a number of entries, greatly reduce winning "kudos", cause logistical problems. Off the top of my head I would probably go with something like SP & MP (Co-Op and Non Co-Op). Maybe two flavours for each, addon and addon free.

I don't see any point limiting the addons that can be used, but the mission must come with a list of working links (as much as humanly possible) to all addons used, along with simple instructions on how to install/use the addon if the addon itself doesn't include such.

When judging the missions we should agree beforehand a reasonable list of criteria for judging and theoretically when a mission has been judged on those criteria by a panel of judges a reasonably fair and balanced total score should be arrived at.

Different judges will have different levels of mission editing knowledge, different preferences for content, etc. etc. etc. If for example we have a criteria of "script usage" I would find it very difficult to give a rating out of 10 or whatever for scripts as I have basically zero knowledge of scripting. Same as someone who feels quite strongly against the usage of music in missions will struggle to rate music usage. So (again in theory) a reasonably sized panel of judges with a varying degree of expertise, knowledge, experience and preference should combine to give a fair and accurate assessment of a mission.

I think for now the way to go is to not set any kind of limitation along the lines of we start a mission and release that so we know that people are not submitting missions they've been working on for 2 years or whatever, fact is a long time spent working on something does not necessarily mean it will be better than that of someone who has spent less time.

It could be an interesting idea for a future competition though, someone creates say 15% of a mission, hands it out for competition entrants to complete as they see fit and we judge the completed versions.

Time wise I think we would have to give something like at least 2 months from start of the competition to submission date to be fair to the skill level and amount of free time that  all the different entrants have.

I don't currently know when we'll be looking at a start date, I think we're getting close to knowing structure wise how the initial contest may run. I will try to find out if I can get a prize/prizes donated, but there's no certainty of that so the minimum reward would be some kind of forum status "symbol".

I have noted with appreciation the offers of hosting and suchlike already given in this thread, that's something that will be immensely helpful.

I see no reason not to at least start collecting a list of people who would be happy to be a judge, I think for obvious reasons someone who judges cannot also enter the competition but I hope there are some who will still be keen to judge, please PM me those who are interested in judging as well as people who would like to confirm offers of hosting.

Should also add that I would love in the future to be able to run a campaign competition but as mentioned by others I think it's not feasible for this time around, but at least people can be aware that should this competition go well there's a good chance a campaign one will follow so get those creative juices flowing smile_o.gif

Is this an evaluation of skill or an evaluation of fun factor?

Barron's idea that has players expanding on a contest template mission is a good one, but it sounds like it would be more useful as a competition of mission maker's skill in adapting that template than it would be of a mission maker who really may prefer doing something else.

And I suspect that anyone entering this contest will already have missions sitting on their hard drives, so that a time factor really isn't relevant. I know I've got about 20 that I could polish in 3 weeks and submit.

I say set a date for entries into the contest, extend it if need be (if only 5 missions are submitted, extend it and remind people) and judge the games based on how well they play, not just how creative they are on a central theme.

And how will each mission be judged?

How about something like this:

1-5 points for atmosphere (cutscenes, FX, etc.)

1-5 points for skill (everything works as it should)

1-5 points for fun (is it fun? frustrating?)

1-5 points for judge's bias (overall satisfaction)

And any other factors.

Also 1-5 points for mission beginning and ending.

If the mission requires any addon give us a link.

Shadow makes great missions. wink_o.gif

In reviewing all the post here in , It occurs to me that a MOD folder of Acceptable Addons would be appropriate. In that way when creating or editing a waiting to be polished mission the mis-matched Addons are flagged, tagged and bagged for replacement. This will facilitate the community being able to play the winning and not so winning missions without winding up with 8Gig of Addons as are presently on my system mad_o.gif

Yes I know this suggestion will create a fire storm of this addon is better than that.., However, It will finally create a list of really good Addons if nothing else. To have anything else will lead to the Testers having 16gig of Addons and a quagmire of conflicting Addons, loss of sound and migraines of titanic proportions

crazy_o.gif

Is this an evaluation of skill or an evaluation of fun factor?

Both really, it depends on the skill/ability level of the person judging as to whether he's evaluating skill or fun, I have virtually no mission editing experience so I would be evaluating fun, someone who has been mission editing since day one would most likely be evaluating skill. As I mentioned above a panel of differing judges will combine to give a rating that in theory will be balanced to appeal to all.

We need to finalise the plans for this so we can get started (no later than 2 weeks, sooner if possible).

There will be prizes (note plural) which will be announced at a later date.

The main things we need to resolve as soon as possible are judging criteria and basic entry requirements.

Ratings wise I think rating them out of 10 gives the right degree of flexibility.

I think it would be good to run this in collabaration with various Opf websites, would be especially good to have judges from those websites.

For basic entry requirements what about mission briefing, intro/outro cut scenes? Missions without those will not get past stage one.

Judging criteria, what about.....

Atmosphere:

Fun:

Scripting:

Camera:

Briefing:

Overall (satisfaction):

The 6 criteria are added up to become X out of 60 and then turned into a percentage?

This is your competition so you need to help me out here smile_o.gif

Hmm maybe originality would be a good criteria as well, is it possible to make an original mission anymore? smile_o.gif

Hmm... I'm fundamentally opposed to cutscenes. I don't use 'em in my missions and I tend to just skip through them in others. Does that mean if my mission doesn't include them, I've already lost? I'd kind of like to see intro/custscenes graded under the atmosphere category, because I like to think that I make up for what I lack in my cinematic talent with what I have in the realism department.

So. Is this started yet or not rock.gif

Planning on making a mission for it. Be my debet wink_o.gif to mission making.

Hmm... I'm fundamentally opposed to cutscenes. I don't use 'em in my missions and I tend to just skip through them in others. Does that mean if my mission doesn't include them, I've already lost?

Yeah I was just talking to Bart and he said that he also thought it was an unfair criteria.

Ok so how about entries must have a briefing & readme containing links and installation instructions for addons (if applicable). Any other criteria we can set?

Batdog -

Quote[/b] ]We need to finalise the plans for this so we can get started (no later than 2 weeks, sooner if possible).
 wink_o.gif

Ok so how about entries must have a briefing & readme containing links and installation instructions for addons (if applicable). Any other criteria we can set?

Sounds good. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Ok so how about entries must have a briefing & readme containing links and installation instructions for addons (if applicable). Any other criteria we can set?

Entries should also have an overview.

Entries should also have an overview.

That isn't possible in MP (If you mean the Overview-Picture and Topic).

Mfg MEDICUS

Quote[/b] ]That isn't possible in MP (If you mean the Overview-Picture and Topic).

I know. I was talking about SP.

If a mission is story driven then it should have an intro/outro and a cutscene.

If its more of a tactical scenario then no cinematics should be required.

I like the criteria you have worked out but i dont think you should judge on originality. Everything from Lego to GI Joe to Monty Python has already been done with OFP heck, even Star Wars is being made for it. That makes it kinda hard to think up more original ideas.

If a mission is story driven then it should have an intro/outro and a cutscene.

If its more of a tactical scenario then no cinematics should be required.

I like the criteria you have worked out but i dont think you should judge on originality. Everything from Lego to GI Joe to Monty Python has already been done with OFP heck, even Star Wars is being made for it. That makes it kinda hard to think up more original ideas.

My ideas I think is original. Might not be all un fighting.

Do people like the TV show cops rock.gif

The competition is going to start Monday 14th June.

If people don't contribute their ideas/opinions as to how it is run I will have to decide everything myself, I have no problem with doing that but if it happens there can be no coming back saying nobody was allowed a say smile_o.gif

Is the prize a sig pic rock.gif

Points for how excisting it is

Points for how relestic (No one man versus an army."

Points for how well the scripting is

Points for how well it flowed. (If it was slow moving or fast pace)

Points for how well briefings and overviews are.

Just my sugustions smile_o.gif

BATDOG

Prizes are a long way beyond a sig pic, that's all I can say for now wow_o.gif

Prizes are a long way beyond a sig pic, that's all I can say for now   wow_o.gif

Spamming priviledges? wow_o.gif

nah Avon. We get a job at BIS. tounge_o.gif

Acculy a mission making job at BIS would be good. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Spamming priviledges?

Maybe Spelling privileges tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif ...

So what is the mission *officialy* judged on placebo?

Quote[/b] ]Spamming priviledges?

Maybe Spelling privileges tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif ...

Evveree ekstrah lettter cowants! biggrin_o.gif

So what is the mission *officialy* judged on placebo?

Without putting words in Placebo's mouth, I would imagine the following would all be factors:

- Playability (i.e. no bugs or glitches)

- Enjoyability

- Replay value

- Difficulty level (i.e. not too easy, but not impossible)

- Uniqueness (i.e. is it just another Desert Ambush clone?)

- Novelty value (i.e. creative use of scripts, addons etc.)

I'm sure there are others factors that I haven't thought of also...