Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Opf user mission creating competition...

Quote[/b] ]BTW: will there be a limit of the "file-size"? (Custom music etc.)

File size will be whatever you want, as long as you can find a place to host the mission wink_o.gif .

Yeah, i think if anyone wants to be a judge they should either have a broadband connection or lots of time, patience and a good download manager wink_o.gif

As far as a host goes i may be able to host the entries at the PUB, they will only be available to the judges to save on bandwidth but all the winners will be hosted at the PUB and available for all to download.

Is this contest actually active? Could I put in a submission now? If not, will placebo get his moderating butt over here and start the contest? tounge_o.gif

What if two people worked on the same mission together? Can that be a possible entry?

@M21Man

The event has not started yet, and when it does we will keep it open for a while to ensure unrushed missions are entered.

@Mr.Zig

You can enter as a team no sweat, just come up with a nifty name and your set (like Pointless Productions (already taken) Too Much Time Studios or my favorite Legal Evil Productions)

The event has not started yet, and when it does we will keep it open for a while to ensure unrushed missions are entered.

Will there be something like an announcment?

I just pulled my head out of my butt and noticed this. sounds like fun. Where do I sign up (judge/jury/executioner or contestant)? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I just pulled my head out of my butt

It's a fascinating place. You should spend more time there tounge_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Where do I sign up (judge/jury/executioner or contestant)?

There's an executioner? Even I don't take my OFP that seriously.

Anyways, I'll be submitting some missions for Tonal, and I might try finishing up one of the campaigns on my HD.

I have about 10 missions on Tonal at varying degrees of completion. My poor computer has finally died, so I'm kinda stuck until I get a new one (soon!) and transfer the contents of my hard drive. sad_o.gif

When is the due date? June 1?

Quote[/b] ]When is the due date? June 1?

It hasn't been announced yet. I hope it's sometime in July, that will give me some vacation time to finish up some stuff.

Hmm, are mods allowed to be used in missions too?

Hi everyone. I can offer toadlife.net for submission hosting purposes. I can either set up an web based upload page or anonymous FTP - or both. I have tons of space and bandwidth to spare.

Sounds great!

And my idea would be to end this compo up in some sort of 'the ultimate MissionPack' featuring the 10,20,50 best missions from the competition.

Quote[/b] ]Hmm, are mods allowed to be used in missions too?

Yes smile_o.gif

i think an end of may, early june submission time is a good rough estimate i can go on. can we set the rough estimate? Maybe start the competition at the start of May and give 40 days to complete.

Sounds great!

And my idea would be to end this compo up in some sort of 'the ultimate MissionPack' featuring the 10,20,50 best missions from the competition.

How about ALL of them wink_o.gif

Anyway, should be an announcement soon, i want to give people lots of time in case they want to make a new mission from scratch for the event.

Quote[/b] ]i think an end of may, early june submission time is a good rough estimate i can go on. can we set the rough estimate? Maybe start the competition at the start of May and give 40 days to complete.

Submission date should obviously be after some of us have had our exams tounge_o.gif .

Hey guys.

I wouldnt mind signing up as a judge, I have plenty of spare time and too many OFP addons. tounge_o.gif

where do i apply?

Tim Pink

Only addon missions please, I can't STAND CWC units any more. That's IMO.

Being a noob mission maker. I would be Embarassed to submit a mission I have Created in the MP environment. Although The Squad enjoys it. The Duration last from 2 to 3 hours. Some of the innovations like an Electrified security fence and a Switch to turn off the Fence and Mine Fields are my own ideas. Other Scripting are borrowed or copied edited etc. However, The Scripts and Triggers dont always function as they should. Yet sometimes they do. LOL

So in this contest my noob attempt (my 2ND MP mission) wouldnt have a chance against (admitedly) the much more sofisticated and quite talanted Coders/Scripters Missions.

Yet the reason I made the mission is because there were none like it. So how would the neophyte be judged or a additional catgory ?

Quote[/b] ]So in this contest my noob attempt (my 2ND MP mission) wouldnt have a chance against (admitedly) the much more sofisticated and quite talanted Coders/Scripters Missions.

Yet the reason I made the mission is because there were none like it. So how would the neophyte be judged or a additional catgory ?

You'd either take a major hit or a major boost in the Scripting category. Either you'll lose a lot of points when if your scripts don't work or you'll get a lot of points if they do work. If they're only semi-reliable, try going to OFPEC and asking for help in the Editing & Scripting: Multiplayer section.

Wow, lots of posts, didn't read them all, so I hope this hasn't been said before:

First off, I think the catagories suggested so far are very un-balanced:

Quote[/b] ]Single Player

Campaign

Co-Op

CTI

Deathmatch

CTF

Lets see, there are 4 MP catagories, and only 1 (or 2 maybe) single player catagories. Am I the only one who likes SP or something?? I suggest you break it down evenly, more like this:

Quote[/b] ]SP:

Infantry-based combat

Vehicle-based combat (tanks, air, boats, etc)  

MP:

Coop (All players work together)

Competition (players compete; includes CTF, CTI, Deathmatch, etc)

Campaigns shouldn't be included, because they are just a collection of SP missions, and hence they would take 5x as long to make as 1 mission. You also will notice that the MP catagories don't confine people into doing the same-ole-same-ole kind of MP missions. I'd like to see some creative MP missions, that aren't just the usual CTF, Deathmatch, etc. These two catagories are about as broad and all-inclusive as you can get with MP.

For SP, there is a HUGE difference between, say, a plane mission, and an infantry mission. These differences should be reflected by having different catagories.

Now, as for addons, I say, either you don't allow any at all, or you allow anything people can find.

-------------------------------------

It wouldn't be fair for one person to start a mission from scratch, and then only have 3 weeks to submit it, wheras another person may have a 90% finished mission sitting on their HD that they have been working on for the last 10 months. So you can't just say "turn in a mission by this date", and have that be the contest.

The way I see it, there needs to be a way to be SURE that everyone starts working "from scratch". To do that, I would suggest that the contest organizers make a mission for each of the catagories, and make it only like 10% complete. They might do something like define the objectives, situation, general enemy/friendly placement, etc.

When it comes time to start the contest, contestants will download the 'starter mission' from whichever catagory, and then they have 3 weeks/whatever to turn it into a finished mission. This way, everyone starts from 'scratch'.

This also would make it a little easier to judge the missions, since every mission in the same catagory would have the same basic premise. There would be no "comparing apples to oranges".

We could work out the specifics more later, as to what exactly would be included in the "starter" mission, what the competitors could and could not change, etc.

Just my 2-cents, but I think I've got a point.  wink_o.gif

*Addons are kinda important, but I would make the requirement be that the Addons are linked to and available. If the addon cannot be downloaded, there's no point in looking at a mission.

*The big problem is evaluating these. This is why OFPEC's mission section doesn't review many MP games. You've gotta get a bunch of people around for those. I'd cut out the CTI one as practically impossible to test (And there's no need to promote them anyway).

Quote[/b] ]The big problem is evaluating these. This is why OFPEC's mission section doesn't review many MP games. You've gotta get a bunch of people around for those. I'd cut out the CTI one as practically impossible to test (And there's no need to promote them anyway).

That's part of the reason I suggest only having 2 MP catagories. Just cut it down to the 2 basic types of MP missions: those where you work together with all players towards a common goal (coop), and those where you work against other players in some way or another (competetive).